Photo

Can someone explain the hate?

90 replies to this topic
William.
  • William.

Rat

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 15 January 2009 - 10:58 PM

Lots of people that are going to like this game probably don't have a DS. Just like me and my friends. We really like it, but I (not sure about my friends)am not going to buy a DS just for this game.

Coolyfett
  • Coolyfett

Hustler

• Members

Posted 16 January 2009 - 11:15 PM

I wouldn't go out and buy a new DS for this game either, I am not adding new sales to the DS, im trying to get my hands on one of the old clam DS that first came out, I been in a few pawn shops have not seen any.

DexX
  • DexX

Black Hat

• Feroci Racing

Posted 17 January 2009 - 10:19 AM

I just read the whole topic up to this point. Wow. Some of you need a reality check.

For a DS game, i'm actually looking forward to adding this to my collection (of DS games). It should be a nice change of pace from cooking and lawyers and other games designed for 8 year olds.

The gfx don't bother me. I mean seriously, it's a DS - what did you expect it to look like? Considering the power of the DS, i think the game looks pretty good. If you want a better looking gta, play on a more capable system.

im trying to get my hands on one of the old clam DS that first came out, I been in a few pawn shops have not seen any.

I still have one of those. Tbh, I recommend a DS Lite if you don't already have a DS at all.

KGBeast
  • KGBeast

Thug

• Members

Posted 17 January 2009 - 03:27 PM

If that lawyer comment was directed at Phoenix Wright, then I have to say, slow down. The Phoenix Wright games have storytelling with depth most games don't. There are definite adult themes in the games. They aren't designed for 8 year olds, in fact, I don't know anyone under 15 or 16 who plays them. Not trying to start anything, just saying, don't insult some of the best games made for the DS. I agree though, after playing myself to death on Mario Kart, Phantom Hourglass, etc. GTA will be a welcome addition.

Coolyfett
  • Coolyfett

Hustler

• Members

Posted 24 January 2009 - 03:26 PM

QUOTE (KGBeast @ Jan 17 2009, 15:27)
If that lawyer comment was directed at Phoenix Wright, then I have to say, slow down. The Phoenix Wright games have storytelling with depth most games don't. There are definite adult themes in the games. They aren't designed for 8 year olds, in fact, I don't know anyone under 15 or 16 who plays them. Not trying to start anything, just saying, don't insult some of the best games made for the DS. I agree though, after playing myself to death on Mario Kart, Phantom Hourglass, etc. GTA will be a welcome addition.

I am sure the DS has some really cool game prior to the CTW announcement...I wish more PSP games would come out.

I am getting a better understanding for the evil hatred toward Chinatown Wars...If CTW haters want this game not to sell well, they may have to figure out a way to steal all of the millions of DS's that are out there. Anything is possible, go for it. sigh.gif

Damn how did Sony let this happen?

Bgile5
  • Bgile5

CARPE DIEM

• Members

Posted 26 January 2009 - 11:34 PM

QUOTE (Coolyfett @ Jan 24 2009, 15:26)

I am getting a better understanding for the evil hatred toward Chinatown Wars...If CTW haters want this game not to sell well, they may have to figure out a way to steal all of the millions of DS's that are out there. Anything is possible, go for it.

I think you are missing the point. You seem to have this belief that everybody that doesn't agree with you that CTW will be the bestselling GTA is a hater. Thats just ridiculous. I for one am glad that Rockstar is taking a new aproach and broadening its audience but at the same time I am just unconvinced that this will be a big hit as you claim. If this game breaks 2 million I will eat my words but until then Im just not too sure...

Wanted Assailant
  • Wanted Assailant

Soldier

• Members

Posted 26 January 2009 - 11:43 PM

I'm looking very forward to this. Very fresh and would play it without a doubt. Although, I do not have a DS.

LWxxDark Wolf
  • LWxxDark Wolf

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 27 January 2009 - 03:40 AM

I'm cool with all video games and people that play them unless they give you attitude. I don't contribute to controversy over racial slurs in video games or movies, ethnic slurs in video games or movies, and religious slurs in videos games or movies.

But I have a never ending beef with Sony. I'll buy their TVs and laptops etc etc, but PlayStation sucks. PSone and PS2 together barely reach the equivalent of an original Xbox.

Coolyfett
  • Coolyfett

Hustler

• Members

Posted 29 January 2009 - 12:31 AM

QUOTE (Bgile5 @ Jan 26 2009, 23:34)
QUOTE (Coolyfett @ Jan 24 2009, 15:26)

I am getting a better understanding for the evil hatred toward Chinatown Wars...If CTW haters want this game not to sell well, they may have to figure out a way to steal all of the millions of DS's that are out there. Anything is possible, go for it. 

I think you are missing the point. You seem to have this belief that everybody that doesn't agree with you that CTW will be the bestselling GTA is a hater. Thats just ridiculous. I for one am glad that Rockstar is taking a new aproach and broadening its audience but at the same time I am just unconvinced that this will be a big hit as you claim. If this game breaks 2 million I will eat my words but until then Im just not too sure...

I think you have 2 topics confused my friend. I don't have an opinion that can be disagreed with. What I am talking about is this.

"DS sucks Rockstar is wasting time"

"I want San Andreas Stories waaaaaaaa'

"The graphics suck, I want PS3 graphics on a DS"

"Its 2D, its 2.5D, its 2.8D it 2.9D NOT 3D"

These type of quotes have nothing to do with sales. Its actually pure ignorance and close mindedness.

2 Million? for an adult DS game? do you really want to make that bet? I mean really?

GammaRaptor
  • GammaRaptor

The Phenomenal One

• Members

Posted 29 January 2009 - 06:11 AM Edited by GammaRaptor, 29 January 2009 - 06:23 AM.

QUOTE (DexX)
I just read the whole topic up to this point. Wow. Some of you need a reality check.

For a DS game, i'm actually looking forward to adding this to my collection (of DS games). It should be a nice change of pace from cooking and lawyers and other games designed for 8 year olds.

The gfx don't bother me. I mean seriously, it's a DS - what did you expect it to look like? Considering the power of the DS, i think the game looks pretty good. If you want a better looking gta, play on a more capable system.

He is right on that one CW may not be graphically good but its a DS watcha expect...? The gameplay will do me over cause i like a good challenge i expect some missions to be easy and hard.

kid23455
  • kid23455

Typical Amerifat

• Members

Posted 21 February 2009 - 01:16 AM

Okay, to clear this up, I own both a ds and a psp. I love them both, but the ds I think cant play games like gta. First, it is aimed at little kids who saw their parents play gta and want to try it out. Then they ge a way to buy it. I would personally like a san andreas stores, but I am sure the psp couldnt handle it, and if it did, it would suck. The psp can hold much more, and I think it would be smart to make an installment on another system, like the wii, or ps2. The game cannot be more ovveratted, i may or may not be good, but the graphics and sound will definetly not be as good as previous installments. They should make a gta for the wii, in fact I think rockstar should, even have the guts to make san andreas stories for the wii. Althouh I can live without it, The whole thing seems like the fall of gta, spending a lot of time and cash on making a system that people know is a little weaker, and could end up running out of cash to make the second expansion pack for gta4. I would be really upset if rockstar runs out of cash, they gotta be really careful with ctw.

SomeIdiot
  • SomeIdiot

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 21 February 2009 - 01:38 PM Edited by SomeIdiot, 21 February 2009 - 05:49 PM.

After VCS was done, rockstar have to take another look at the games market to see if its worth investing all that time and money in making another Stories game on the PSP. They would have been stupid not to nsee how the DS was sell so much.

I don't think some of you understand just how popular the DS is.

There are 96 million DS units in the world. Don't just take my word for it. This is predicted to be about 100 million by the time that ChinaTown wars is released.

Compare that to the PSP market, there are about 50 millliion psp in the world. Look here for recent number's.

of course not all of these DS owners are going to buy a copy of the game, but even if just one in ten buys a copy, it will sell 9.6 million copies. it is a simple matter of numbers you want to sell your're game to the biggeest number of people to make the most money. nothing to do with fanboys or which system is better at doing 3.d gfx or anything like htat.

Leo Colt
  • Leo Colt

Psychopathic Philantrophist

• Members

Posted 21 February 2009 - 05:34 PM

QUOTE (SomeIdiot @ Feb 21 2009, 13:38)
When VCS started being developed, there was no such console as a DS.

What are you talking about? The DS was released before the PSP... suicidal.gif

SomeIdiot
  • SomeIdiot

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 21 February 2009 - 10:19 PM

QUOTE (Leo Colt @ Feb 21 2009, 17:34)
When VCS started being developed, there was no such console as a DS.

What are you talking about? The DS was released before the PSP... suicidal.gif

yes you are right of course sorry my explaining of it was'nt very good. I've edited my post to say this!

chngdman
  • chngdman

Soldier

• BUSTED!

Posted 21 February 2009 - 10:29 PM

I don't hate the game. I actually haven't seen any of the hatred.

Should there be SAS before they ever even thought of supporting DS? Yes. Do I even have a PSP? Nope. But I've got the PS2 ports.

I definitely see a GTA title I will never play, nor will I have any urge to play, but in my case, I'm still interested in the development until release and learning about this game.

I think it does look like complete and utter sh*t, though. It really really looks bad lol. but that's not rockstar's fault, it's the fault of the tiny resolution they have to support on DS.

Chinatown Wars is shocking to me. Makes no sense imo. But no hate smile.gif

nailhead
  • nailhead

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 22 February 2009 - 05:14 PM

QUOTE (SaintJimmy @ Nov 3 2008, 03:06)
The only reason I am upset with their choice to put it out on DS is because I guess I'm selfish/jealous when it comes to this issue.

BUT, on a more SERIOUS and REALISTIC point, the majority of console gamers owned a PS2. The games were released, and almost everyone could play them. And if you couldn't, then they bought it out on XBOX for you on a nice little platter, and even PC's. Alot of people have their own personal computers, which made the GTA franchise available to pretty much the entire gaming market.
Now, with Chinatown Wars; not every serious gamer has a DS. And alot of us GTA fans are a tad upset because if we want to continue the series, we have to purchase a new console, which was not the case in the beginning.

/thread

i dont know about that. the only reason i bought a ps2 (as did a lot of people if you look at the sales data) was because of San Andreas. i didnt want to wait for a pc port like i did with gta3 and vice city. and the only reason i bought a 360 is gta 4 and episodes. thankfully my wife already has a ds so i dont need to buy it, but it would be nothing new. lets just see what ratings it gets and what fans think.

Tsuroki
  • Tsuroki

Gone Fishin'

• Inactive Staff
  • None

Posted 22 February 2009 - 07:37 PM

QUOTE (SomeIdiot @ Feb 21 2009, 09:38)
After VCS was done, rockstar have to take another look at the games market to see if its worth investing all that time and money in making another Stories game on the PSP. They would have been stupid not to nsee how the DS was sell so much.

There are 96 million DS units in the world. Don't just take my word for it. This is predicted to be about 100 million by the time that ChinaTown wars is released.

Compare that to the PSP market, there are about 50 millliion psp in the world. Look here for recent number's.

of course not all of these DS owners are going to buy a copy of the game, but even if just one in ten buys a copy, it will sell 9.6 million copies. it is a simple matter of numbers you want to sell your're game to the biggeest number of people to make the most money. nothing to do with fanboys or which system is better at doing 3.d gfx or anything like htat.

Bingo.

The Nintendo DS is the most popular handheld gaming platform in the world, and it's an untapped market for the GTA franchise.

The interactive touchscreen also adds a new level of interactivity to the game, which is a definite must. Gaming-on-the-go isn't about immersion, it's about distraction and the ability to enjoy a bit of gameplay in short bursts of time.

I'm looking forward to seeing what the Leeds studio has waiting for us, and I'm sure that it will be impressive. I've had a DS Lite for a couple of years now, and it'll be nice to finally pull it out again for something worthwhile.

Michaś
  • Michaś

BMW Maniac

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 February 2009 - 11:19 PM

In America - YES it is probably most popular handheld.

In Europe most people I know and also they are GTA fans have PSP's. They didn't buy them for LCS and VCS ofc.

I hope I'll get another PSP soon ^^

Tsuroki
  • Tsuroki

Gone Fishin'

• Inactive Staff
  • None

Posted 22 February 2009 - 11:55 PM

QUOTE (Garfield 2 @ Feb 22 2009, 19:19)
In America - YES it is probably most popular handheld.

In Europe most people I know and also they are GTA fans have PSP's. They didn't buy them for LCS and VCS ofc.

I hope I'll get another PSP soon ^^

Worldwide != Europe + North America.

Sony recently hit 50 million units sold worldwide for the PSP while Nintendo still sits ahead at approximately 95 million units sold worldwide.

The point is that the Nintendo DS = a huge market, and no matter how hard you may try, you just can't argue with the numbers.

iPetrovic
  • iPetrovic

Snitch

• Members

Posted 23 February 2009 - 10:06 AM

Anybody shouldn't call themselves fans if they hate on any GTA game. I mean, seriously...

GTAsoldier
  • GTAsoldier

A Monsta in da Island

• Members

Posted 23 February 2009 - 11:21 PM

QUOTE (iPetrovic @ Feb 23 2009, 06:06)
Anybody shouldn't call themselves fans if they hate on any GTA game. I mean, seriously...

^^^ agreed.

Coolyfett
  • Coolyfett

Hustler

• Members

Posted 24 February 2009 - 12:25 AM

Excellent!

Excellent!

Excellent Post!!! Finally someone that GETS IT!.

Choke-A-Bitch
  • Choke-A-Bitch

Peon

• Members

Posted 24 February 2009 - 04:11 AM

oh man, i am SO sorry for you guys who don't own a console which sold more than the PS3 and 360 combined.
So the DS is not a serious gaming console? The games on the DS are 120% more hardcore than GTAIV. Contra IV is a old school platformer of whom i bet nobody in this forum can beat because there are so spoiled by the easiness of current-gen games. There are a sh*t load of old school RPG games.
Now, i know, i know. The DS had alot of shovelware. but the PS2 had double the size of shovelware than the DS.
The DS is THE best console since the PS2.
So you think the PSP is better than the DS? Well, in what is it better? Playing music? watching videos? The big screen of the PSP won't help if there aren't any games to play on it.
Do you wanna know how many games are coming out on the DS on the 27th this month? 16! How many games are coming out for the PSP on the 27th? 0! as in ZERO, NOTHING, NADA ZILCH, ZIP!

tl;dr The DS is more old-school than you and your momma will ever be.

oh and btw, the DS gamers get a real NEW GTA game. compaired to the PSP who got these super new citys called LIBERTY CITY and VICE CITY.

Leo Colt
  • Leo Colt

• Members

Posted 24 February 2009 - 06:21 PM

QUOTE (chngdman @ Feb 21 2009, 22:29)

Should there be SAS before they ever even thought of supporting DS? Yes. Do I even have a PSP? Nope. But I've got the PS2 ports.

I definitely see a GTA title I will never play, nor will I have any urge to play, but in my case, I'm still interested in the development until release and learning about this game.

I think it does look like complete and utter sh*t, though. It really really looks bad lol. but that's not rockstar's fault, it's the fault of the tiny resolution they have to support on DS.

Uh, what?! Saying the game "does look like complete and utter sh*t" and is "shocking" and "makes no sense" is hating on the game. Pure and simple.

JonnyT
  • JonnyT

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 24 February 2009 - 06:40 PM

I don't get why people are hating the idea of Chinatown Wars. Is it the graphics, the lack of cutscenes, the additional side missions (Police, FireFighter, Taxi etc.), rising again, the additional Mini-Games (Breaking into a car etc.) or what? What do you people expect from a DS?

Versityle
  • Versityle

Snitch

• Members

Posted 25 February 2009 - 02:58 AM Edited by Versityle, 25 February 2009 - 03:39 AM.

For me personally, and maybe others feel the same way, it's this:

I don't think it compares to the console version. See, if you're someone like me, you like to sit back and watch and take part in an epic story that is in HD, Widescreen, Surround Sound and full of cinematics. With cinematics comes more character and plot development (forgive me, as a writer I care about that sh*t)

I'm not bashing the game, like I said it's just not the same experience. The only exception was LCS and VCS because they actually looked like Ps2 games which were then ported to the Ps2.

I happen to own a DS and though I mainly use it for Pokemon, I am thinking of giving Chinatown Wars a try, only because it deepens the development of Liberty City itself whether it takes place before, after or during GTA IV and the two DLC's. But like I said, it won't be the same...

Ruben-LWD
  • Ruben-LWD

1337 H4x0r!

• Members

Posted 25 February 2009 - 09:32 AM

all bullsh*t you cant just judge the game now play it first before telling us that playing games on a hd screen etc is better you dont know that we dont know that so just wait and play before judging it >.>

Choke-A-Bitch
  • Choke-A-Bitch

Peon

• Members

Posted 25 February 2009 - 01:36 PM

QUOTE (Versityle @ Feb 25 2009, 02:58)
See, if you're someone like me, you like to sit back and watch and take part in an epic story that is in HD, Widescreen, Surround Sound and full of cinematics. With cinematics comes more character and plot development

I happen to own a DS and though I mainly use it for Pokemon

i see

chngdman
  • chngdman

Soldier

• BUSTED!

Posted 25 February 2009 - 02:15 PM

QUOTE (Leo Colt @ Feb 24 2009, 13:21)

Uh, what?! Saying the game "does look like complete and utter sh*t" and is "shocking" and "makes no sense" is hating on the game. Pure and simple.

No, actually it's not. It is criticizing the game, and the game, imo, should be criticized. I am still interested to see how it does and maybe watch a few videos and the review for it.

Leo Colt
  • Leo Colt

• Members

Posted 25 February 2009 - 06:40 PM

QUOTE (chngdman @ Feb 25 2009, 14:15)
QUOTE (Leo Colt @ Feb 24 2009, 13:21)

No, actually it's not. It is criticizing the game, and the game, imo, should be criticized. I am still interested to see how it does and maybe watch a few videos and the review for it.

And that makes it any different from the hate comments directed towards the game? Because it doesn't.

"Complete and utter sh*t" is no different from all the other similar hate comments directed towards the game. You purport that the game "should be criticized" before Rockstar have even released proper gameplay footage (let alone actually release the game). It's hate. Don't try to fool us with that "it's sh*t and this is the worst decision they ever made but I don't hate the game" bullsh*t.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users