Photo

Can someone explain the hate?

90 replies to this topic
Coolyfett
  • Coolyfett

Hustler

• Members

Posted 18 October 2008 - 10:01 PM

What is the problem? Why are you so mad? Why do you Hate the Chinatown Wars installment? Is it because there is no San Andreas Stories? Is it because the graphics don't match the GTA IV graphics? Its a video game. Nothing more nothing less. A very fun & entertaining video game IMHO. If it is fun & entertaining why can't everyone that is of age enjoy it without all the drama? DS fans do you feel the jealousy? Hopefully you DS owners don't think all PSP owners hate the fact that you are getting in on the GTA action. Truth is as a gamer I am happy you guys finally get to enjoy a cool game.

This PSP owner is not one of the many lame haters on this forum.

GTA3Freak-2001
  • GTA3Freak-2001

Run out of Cake.

• Members

Posted 19 October 2008 - 05:59 AM

Its the mentality some people have with the DS, naive people who think its a kiddie console when that is far from the truth. Yeah Nintendo do aim for the younger market but just like the more hardcore aimed PS3 and 360 they do have their fair share of kiddie or family orientated games. So why can't the Wii or DS feature some more mature and hardcore games? They can and do.

Smiley001
  • Smiley001

Abandoned all hope...

• Members

Posted 19 October 2008 - 08:39 AM

They enjoy underestimating the DS's hardware. It may not be even close to that of the PSP's but R* has found a way to make it work. To be honest, I thing CW looks very good for a DS game, though a bit cartoony but most of the DS's games are...
But the typical reason is they think R* is wasting time making this game which they think won't deliver and will fail, instead of creating a San Andreas Stories.
I too am a PSP owner and don't have a DS but still I'm interested in seeing how this game will turn out.

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

Godfather

• Australia
  • Best Member in an Official Group 2012

Posted 19 October 2008 - 09:53 AM

I find it funny when people say it's going to be sh*t, yet they have no idea about it.

I admit I will probably never play it, but it could be decent for all we know. As for the reason of wasted time, instead of making a SAS I think that's stupid. How long was this game in developement for? Not very long I imagine.

There's still a window for SAS, but it's closing.

kongsnutz
  • kongsnutz

Rat

• Members

Posted 22 October 2008 - 05:36 AM

Yeah i really don't get it either

I loved the Psp versions and can't wait for this new DS only version

GTAsoldier
  • GTAsoldier

A Monsta in da Island

• Members

Posted 23 October 2008 - 09:56 PM

Me neither too. I just don't see why hardcore GTA gamers have to bash GTA CW just because it's on the DS. I don't own a DS, but GTA CW is looking pretty good IMO. Gosh, what I see is that hardcore (PS3/360) gamers love to d*ckride certain titles and bitchslap everything else. It seems as if certain franchises belong only to those platforms and all the bullsh*t titles will go to the Wii*** and DS. I may play a PS3 nearly everyday (yeah I'm pretty much of a hardcore gamer mysef), but I'm sick of this bashing of certain franchises that turn their attentions to casual platforms and there's a war. The DS and Wii*** have good games too, y'know. (Like Gears of War is to the 360, Mario Kart is for the DS. Like Metal Gear Solid 4 is for the PS3, Super Smash Bros. brawl is for the Wii***)

Bottom line: These type of people love to belittle the casual audience. For what? Their own self-righteouness on how videogames should come out like? It's disgusting. So far, GTA CW is looking good for the DS. It hasn't come out yet, but we'll see what happens next. I may own a DS for this game (if I have enough $$$). Regardless, the hate needs to stop. Particularly, the hate on several franchises going to casual platforms. I hope I don't get bashed for this, but I'd like to let people know on what I think on the hate.

***= I'm just including the Wii just to help support my post. It may not be related to this topic, but you'll see what I mean.

the all seeing eye
  • the all seeing eye

Slamman's Retarded Brother

• BUSTED!

Posted 24 October 2008 - 01:04 AM

QUOTE (Miamivicecity @ Oct 19 2008, 09:53)
I find it funny when people say it's going to be sh*t, yet they have no idea about it.

I admit I will probably never play it, but it could be decent for all we know. As for the reason of wasted time, instead of making a SAS I think that's stupid. How long was this game in developement for? Not very long I imagine.

There's still a window for SAS, but it's closing.

It's by no means closing brotha, its already obvious 2009 is going to be BIG for the psp. And it looks like sony is sticking to it

you know how they are about things like this

ChrisMathers3501
  • ChrisMathers3501

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 03 November 2008 - 01:16 AM

I'll tell you the reason for the constant hate - people are stupid. tounge.gif Hardcore fans of Grand Theft Auto don't see a game come out for a system they don't have or think is for kids and go "aw, goddammit, this sucks, Rockstar sucks, Rockstar's being stupid, I can't buy this piece of sh*t!" In fact, people who say things like that aren't even really fans - if they only really knew Rockstar's record, they'd have just a little bit of faith that the people who brought us this series and kept people enjoying it for around a decade now wouldn't do something, what is known as in the gaming industry, as "f*cking things up royally." Now that we've seen a couple of screenshots from Chinatown Wars and heard from Rockstar themselves that this ain't no kids game, you still go around boosting cars, putting rounds in people and that now you get to sell heroin, I think most of the pessimists have shut up or at least will soon.

As for San Andreas Stories - the window may or may not be closing, but we don't REALLY need it to come out on the PSP, we just want it to COME OUT. I've heard the PSP can't handle it, but if it were to come out at all, only on the PS2 for example, I'd still be a very happy man. I have both systems, but I'd rather get it for the PS2 anyway - the small screen strains my eyes to look at small details.

ChrisMathers3501
  • ChrisMathers3501

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 03 November 2008 - 01:18 AM

I'll tell you the reason for the constant hate - people are stupid. tounge.gif Hardcore fans of Grand Theft Auto don't see a game come out for a system they don't have or think is for kids and go "aw, goddammit, this sucks, Rockstar sucks, Rockstar's being stupid, I can't buy this piece of sh*t!" In fact, people who say things like that aren't even really fans - if they only really knew Rockstar's record, they'd have just a little bit of faith that the people who brought us this series and kept people enjoying it for around a decade now wouldn't do something, what is known as in the gaming industry, as "f*cking things up royally." Now that we've seen a couple of screenshots from Chinatown Wars and heard from Rockstar themselves that this ain't no kids game, you still go around boosting cars, putting rounds in people and that now you get to sell heroin, I think most of the pessimists have shut up or at least will soon.

As for San Andreas Stories - the window may or may not be closing, but we don't REALLY need it to come out on the PSP, we just want it to COME OUT. I've heard the PSP can't handle it, but if it were to come out at all, only on the PS2 for example, I'd still be a very happy man. I have both systems, but I'd rather get it for the PS2 anyway - the small screen strains my eyes to look at small details.

SaintJimmy
  • SaintJimmy

On a drug called Martin Sheen

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 03 November 2008 - 03:06 AM

The only reason I am upset with their choice to put it out on DS is because I guess I'm selfish/jealous when it comes to this issue.

BUT, on a more SERIOUS and REALISTIC point, the majority of console gamers owned a PS2. The games were released, and almost everyone could play them. And if you couldn't, then they bought it out on XBOX for you on a nice little platter, and even PC's. Alot of people have their own personal computers, which made the GTA franchise available to pretty much the entire gaming market.
Now, with Chinatown Wars; not every serious gamer has a DS. And alot of us GTA fans are a tad upset because if we want to continue the series, we have to purchase a new console, which was not the case in the beginning.

/thread

Coolyfett
  • Coolyfett

Hustler

• Members

Posted 03 November 2008 - 11:15 PM

QUOTE (SaintJimmy @ Nov 3 2008, 03:06)
The only reason I am upset with their choice to put it out on DS is because I guess I'm selfish/jealous when it comes to this issue.

Now, with Chinatown Wars; not every serious gamer has a DS. And alot of us GTA fans are a tad upset because if we want to continue the series, we have to purchase a new console, which was not the case in the beginning.

Serious gamer? DS is not a serious gamer system? Is that what you just said?

So if you own a DS you are not a serious gamer? But DS has more games then a PSP is that not correct?

How many DS owners bought a PSP to play LCS & VCS? I doubt many.

So being a serious gamer is based on the system you own? That is what you are saying correct?

SaintJimmy
  • SaintJimmy

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 04 November 2008 - 04:44 AM

QUOTE (Coolyfett @ Nov 4 2008, 09:15)
QUOTE (SaintJimmy @ Nov 3 2008, 03:06)

Serious gamer? DS is not a serious gamer system? Is that what you just said?

So if you own a DS you are not a serious gamer? But DS has more games then a PSP is that not correct?

How many DS owners bought a PSP to play LCS & VCS? I doubt many.

So being a serious gamer is based on the system you own? That is what you are saying correct?

No, I am saying that a DS is not a serious gaming console.
And continue to read the rest of my thread, dude. And I (was excessively stupid at the time) did purchase a PSP for GTA:LCS; simply because it was christmas time and I had the moolah.
But that is no excuse; LCS and VCS were ported to PS2. So you werent REQUIRED to purchase a PSP. That isn't the case with GTA:CW.

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

Godfather

• Australia
  • Best Member in an Official Group 2012

Posted 04 November 2008 - 05:40 AM Edited by Miamivicecity, 04 November 2008 - 05:45 AM.

QUOTE (SaintJimmy @ Nov 4 2008, 15:44)
And continue to read the rest of my thread, dude. And I (was excessively stupid at the time) did purchase a PSP for GTA:LCS; simply because it was christmas time and I had the moolah.
But that is no excuse; LCS and VCS were ported to PS2. So you werent REQUIRED to purchase a PSP. That isn't the case with GTA:CW.

Yep. I only bought a PSP for LCS, and VCS, but then they were later ported to PS2. So it was a waste of time buying a PSP for them.

Now one thing I COULD see happening with CW is something similar. I'm not going to buy a DS specifically for one game, but I might wait a few months to see if it gets ported to PS2. Or more likely the Wii.

It could happen, but I don't know. CW seems interesting, but I can't justify laying out more $$$ for another console.

This is why single platform games annoy the sh*t out of me.

SaintJimmy
  • SaintJimmy

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 04 November 2008 - 06:15 AM

QUOTE (Miamivicecity @ Nov 4 2008, 15:40)
QUOTE (SaintJimmy @ Nov 4 2008, 15:44)

Yep. I only bought a PSP for LCS, and VCS, but then they were later ported to PS2. So it was a waste of time buying a PSP for them.

Now one thing I COULD see happening with CW is something similar. I'm not going to buy a DS specifically for one game, but I might wait a few months to see if it gets ported to PS2. Or more likely the Wii.

It could happen, but I don't know. CW seems interesting, but I can't justify laying out more $$$ for another console.

This is why single platform games annoy the sh*t out of me.

See, now I wouldn't be jealous if I had a feeling that CW could be ported to PS2; but how could it?

.:Alex:.
  • .:Alex:.

Bitter and Twisted

• Members

Posted 04 November 2008 - 04:41 PM

If the opposite reactions for GTA IV are anything to go by, everyone will LOVE Chinatown Wars when it comes out. Because it seems everyone on here is a hypocrite...

Guanxi
  • Guanxi

Thug

• Members

Posted 13 November 2008 - 07:10 PM Edited by Guanxi, 13 November 2008 - 07:32 PM.

Come on,

a) it's a waste of time
b) it's a giant cash-in
c) it looks like turd (snes).
d) it's 2008, not 1997
e) it's been done to death already... another lame gameboy gta with bells & whistles for f*ck sake.
f) it will have every bit the production values of saints row
g) GTA:SAS would actually have been cool.gif

Just think of what the R* Leeds studio dedicated full time over the last two years could have come up with in that time? R*'s studios have such a rich history of creating original and thought provoking titles like Bully, Manhunt, the Warriors, Red Dead Revolver, and they come up with another Top down 2d gta no. 5? FFS. It's f*cking retarded. More BS for the DS.

Edit: What more reasons could you want to hate this game?

Swiechu
  • Swiechu

Slavic Gun Nut

• Members

Posted 13 November 2008 - 09:41 PM

Come on,

a) it's a waste of time - Why? Because YOU don't like it?
b) it's a giant cash-in - Is that bad?
c) it looks like turd (snes). - No, it actually looks great for a DS game, and is a little over PSX in terms of GFX.
d) it's 2008, not 1997 - And this is GTA:CW, not GTA I.
e) it's been done to death already... another lame gameboy gta with bells & whistles for f*ck sake. - Could anyone explain the "bells and whistles" part? I ain't a native english speaker, and thus I don't actually get what he said.
f) it will have every bit the production values of saints row - Nah, R* always delivers. And takes good care of their merchendise.
g) GTA:SAS would actually have been cool.gif - I gotta agree biggrin.gif

Coolyfett
  • Coolyfett

Hustler

• Members

Posted 14 November 2008 - 03:39 AM

QUOTE (Guanxi @ Nov 13 2008, 19:10)
Come on,

a) it's a waste of time
b) it's a giant cash-in
c) it looks like turd (snes).
d) it's 2008, not 1997
e) it's been done to death already... another lame gameboy gta with bells & whistles for f*ck sake.
f) it will have every bit the production values of saints row
g) GTA:SAS would actually have been cool.gif

Just think of what the R* Leeds studio dedicated full time over the last two years could have come up with in that time? R*'s studios have such a rich history of creating original and thought provoking titles like Bully, Manhunt, the Warriors, Red Dead Revolver, and they come up with another Top down 2d gta no. 5? FFS. It's f*cking retarded. More BS for the DS.

Edit: What more reasons could you want to hate this game?

So you hate it because its 3D and not on the PSP, well at least you are honest with your hatred. Only thing I can tell you is DEAL WITH IT! Its coming. biggrin.gif

Jordy.
  • Jordy.

Matty?

• Members

Posted 14 November 2008 - 05:06 PM

QUOTE (the all seeing eye @ Oct 24 2008, 01:04)
its already obvious 2009 is going to be BIG for the psp.

Explain.

mhuda
  • mhuda

Rat

• Members

Posted 15 November 2008 - 05:50 AM

QUOTE (GTA3Freak-2001 @ Oct 19 2008, 05:59)
Its the mentality some people have with the DS, naive people who think its a kiddie console when that is far from the truth. Yeah Nintendo do aim for the younger market but just like the more hardcore aimed PS3 and 360 they do have their fair share of kiddie or family orientated games. So why can't the Wii or DS feature some more mature and hardcore games? They can and do.

Another thing is...playing GTA on a handheld is too cumbersome.

GTA was meant to be played on the regular consoles like the superior and outstanding PlayStation 3 and that other lame piece of junk console made by Microsoft. I remember playing LCS on my PSP when it came out, but after the seventh or eighth mission, I gave up because I found it too hard to control driving the vehicles around the city and moving the character around. Fortunately, LCS was ported to the PS2, so if we get a Nintendo Wii port for Chinatown Wars, hopefully more gamers will buy.

Coolyfett
  • Coolyfett

Hustler

• Members

Posted 15 November 2008 - 09:22 PM

QUOTE (mhuda @ Nov 15 2008, 05:50)
QUOTE (GTA3Freak-2001 @ Oct 19 2008, 05:59)

Another thing is...playing GTA on a handheld is too cumbersome.

GTA was meant to be played on the regular consoles like the superior and outstanding PlayStation 3 and that other lame piece of junk console made by Microsoft. I remember playing LCS on my PSP when it came out, but after the seventh or eighth mission, I gave up because I found it too hard to control driving the vehicles around the city and moving the character around. Fortunately, LCS was ported to the PS2, so if we get a Nintendo Wii port for Chinatown Wars, hopefully more gamers will buy.

So hand held gaming is TOO HARD for you? tounge.gif

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 15 November 2008 - 10:56 PM

For me, it's not hate, it WAS surprise.
I am a graphics whore, but if Houser is excited by the amount of action and gameplay, and that the Leeds crew can bring to the table a PSP like Stories feel, the graphics can be forgiven, if not forgotten.

For me, the graphics will be the main sticking point, the controls the second highest drawback, but it is a new experience, and a ground up build for Rockstar Leeds. Houser is very happy with the team's work, as he states more then once!
-B

Jordy.
  • Jordy.

Matty?

• Members

Posted 15 November 2008 - 11:55 PM

I'm quite looking forward to this, people really shouldn't judge things without knowing anything about it.

Also, i had a strange Chinatown Wars dream, this is what it was like:

- Instead of isometric view, it was traditional 3D GTA angle

- Only portland and stauton island were in the game (not broker, dukes, etc..)

- The cars consisted of single colours e.g. All green, all blue etc.. but the bumpers were silver

- pixels were a bit big, but better than say driv3r on GBA

- Everything was colourful, and the weather seemed to be sunrise all the time

- Stauton island had a big, wide motorway going along the east side of the island

- Callahan bridge has a public catwalk (wtf) but you could only use it if you pass through a building with more than one person with you (wtf wtf) and the buidling was jackable! You could drive it along with the catwalk (wtf wtf wtf)

Then I woke up and noticed coke and weed next to my bed...

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 16 November 2008 - 02:25 AM

Holy Schmoley!! Really!??!

I never dreamed about it...but I did only see the article the other day and prior, had no conception of how it would look. I have misgivings, but from what I DID read, it sounds like ALL of Liberty City is in there, the same LC as in GTA4

J Hater
  • J Hater

Crows

• Members

Posted 17 November 2008 - 09:35 AM

This ex-psp, current xbox 360 is going to buy a DS just for GTA, that's what i always do smile.gif bought PSP and 360 just for the GTAs, the psp sold after i played the stories, the box im still keeping.
I guess i'm in their target wink.gif )

Coolyfett
  • Coolyfett

Hustler

• Members

Posted 05 December 2008 - 10:02 PM

QUOTE (J Hater @ Nov 17 2008, 09:35)
This ex-psp, current xbox 360 is going to buy a DS just for GTA, that's what i always do smile.gif bought PSP and 360 just for the GTAs, the psp sold after i played the stories, the box im still keeping.
I guess i'm in their target wink.gif )

Are you going to sell your DS after you beat CTW?

Nova69_7
  • Nova69_7

WEDNESDAY TIL I DIE!!!

• Members

Posted 06 December 2008 - 10:33 AM Edited by Nova69_7, 06 December 2008 - 10:40 AM.

I'll explain to you why I have a few gripes with this game shall I?

OK...hate is not the right word that will describe my feelings. I think it will be a very successful game. but here is the thing: When Liberty City Stories first came out in 2005 I made it a personal mission to get myself a PSP. At the time they were about 200+ I'm not sure exactly but I made it a priority to get one so I could play LCS. On a part-time wage as a student I couldn't afford it straight away but I eventually did. Here's an admission too...I actually got the game the day it came out but didn't get my PSP til 3 months later (dedicated fan or utter saddo...make up your own minds haha!) The point I am making is that when RockStar announced their new GTA game was released on a system I didn't have...I had to invest in a PSP if I wanted to play it. GTA Advance for the GameBoy Advance was also exactly the same. This is the same principal - I don't have a Nintendo DS and probably never would have but now RockStar have decided to bring their latest game out on a console they have never touched before, I admittedly am seriously considering getting one and was even looking at other games on the DS that I might like the other day. These days I'm OK with money so affording it is not a problem but it's the principal. Why the DS? Why not the PSP? It doesn't make sense and no doubt RockStar and Nintendo have cut some kind of financial deal...it all sounds a bit 'money-grabby' to me.

The second issue I have is this: as a member of this forum since march and an avid reader way before I joined, I have learned it is blatently obvious that pretty much all of the members here would love to see a San Andreas Stories - and before all the 'it can't fit on a UMD so forget it' people start mouthing off...it could have been done if they'd tried...OK! Reading another thread on this forum I have learned that RockStar recently announced it is now never going to happen. So I have to ask, if most GTA fans wanted San Andreas Stories, why did RockStar not deliver this as a tribute to them if nothing else instead of concentrating on ChinaTown Wars on DS? This game has pretty much killed off any future prospects of SAS as no doubt RockStar have much bigger fish to fry with the next main GTA on the big consoles now.

That aside, wether I do or don't get a DS I hope it does well as I'm sure it will and I'm sure it will be a great game in the spirit of GTA with a well-balanced story the whole avenging your fathers death thing sounds awesome and loads of humour. Long live GTA.

Michaś
  • Michaś

BMW Maniac

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 December 2008 - 12:04 PM

I know that in america most people have DS but I believe that if the game was on PSP:

- Piracy would be smaller and people would buy PSPs (DS Emulators are on PC)
- Graphics would be 3d and better
- In europe most people have psp's and they would buy the game

alooper21
  • alooper21

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 06 December 2008 - 10:29 PM

i don't know why some ppl hate it, but i know i would love it biggrin.gif even if i find id difficult to play without the psp's knob (yes, i have a psp instead of a ds; i'm not a fanboy, however). what i hope is that r* will implement alternative input methods to touchscreen and microphone, supposedly these brake in time. plus i wouldn't whistle to call a cab, i don't like to disturb the people near me.

what people don't understand is that, among other things, rockstar like to chalenge the hardware, to make it "think". i'll never forget what it was written (and maybe still is) on gta2 official page about game programming, like until gta games required like 95% resources for graphics, therefore they were linear and simple.

rdbx1234
  • rdbx1234

Cow-tippin Crack Baby

• Members

Posted 07 December 2008 - 06:13 AM Edited by rdbx1234, 07 December 2008 - 10:46 AM.

QUOTE (Garfield 2 @ Dec 6 2008, 12:04)
I know that in america most people have DS but I believe that if the game was on PSP:

- Piracy would be smaller and people would buy PSPs (DS Emulators are on PC)
- Graphics would be 3d and better
- In europe most people have psp's and they would buy the game

There are also PSP Emulators for the PC.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users