57 replies to this topic
Voodoo
  • Voodoo

Cyclop have 9 years

• Unknown
  • Contribution Award [GTAF]

Posted 18 October 2008 - 03:27 PM

• http://deadspace.ea.com/
We need a topic for this game. After spending a few hours with it, I can safely say that it's one of the best sci-horror games I've ever played. It incorporates all of the elements that make a game great. The atmosphere, level and sound designs are all top notch. The weapons are innovative and satisfying. The necromorphs are scary as hell and constantly surprise you. The story is mostly a rehash/combination of elements we've seen before, but tends to incorporate the best parts of those elements and drives the game very well. There is an excellent inventory system with overflow storage and all of the weapons, armor and equipment are upgradeable through pickups and a shopping system. The "HUD" interface is very clever. Information is projected in a space within your line of sight rather than constantly on screen. In other words, you rarely feel as if you're taken out of the game while viewing story information.

This is a very well designed game, and should give you a great experience if you're into the horror genre.

Hart
  • Hart

who are you

• Members

Posted 18 October 2008 - 03:33 PM

There's another topic somehwere, but it doesnt really matter.

This looks really good, very polished etc but I'm getting GoW2 about 2 weeks after this is out. icon13.gif Wont give me enough time to play it.

The main question is though, is it scary?

Blackadder.
  • Blackadder.

Luck. Runs. Out.

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 18 October 2008 - 03:54 PM

I've been following this for quite a while, according to the reviews it sounds pretty good.

Shame I can't afford it though, might have to give it a rent some time. icon14.gif

Voodoo
  • Voodoo

Cyclop have 9 years

• Unknown

Posted 18 October 2008 - 04:27 PM

QUOTE (Hart @ Oct 18 2008, 10:33)

Well, that's got a lot to do with the gamer's tolerance for scary content. From what I've seen so far, I can say that if you get freaked out at all by the average horror movie or game, you'll need diapers before this game is done with you. I've had two really good "hairs standing up on the back of the neck and goosebumps" moments in the first three chapters and I don't scare easily. The quality of the atmosphere adds a lot to the overall feeling of dread, too. Wait until you face a necromorph in zero g or zero atmosphere. That's creepy.

Don Garcia aka NjNakedSnake
  • Don Garcia aka NjNakedSnake

• Members

Posted 18 October 2008 - 05:53 PM

Aliens aboard an abondonded space station does look like some good scare fodder.

dumbledore
  • dumbledore

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 October 2008 - 06:59 PM

I might get this game, it looks pretty good...but im not really the type to get scared through a game where you can always pause it.

Mike Tequeli
  • Mike Tequeli

American non-Voter at Heart

• The Connection

Posted 18 October 2008 - 07:33 PM

QUOTE (Hart @ Oct 18 2008, 15:33)

This looks really good, very polished etc but I'm getting GoW2 about 2 weeks after this is out. icon13.gif Wont give me enough time to play it.

Gow 2 will probably be 30 minutes long based on the way things are going in gaming.

Dead Space doesn't seem like my kind of game and I'm a bit short on funds at the moment, but I'm thinking I could give this a rent.

Hart
  • Hart

who are you

• Members

Posted 18 October 2008 - 07:39 PM

QUOTE (Mike Tequeli @ Oct 18 2008, 20:33)

This looks really good, very polished etc but I'm getting GoW2 about 2 weeks after this is out.  icon13.gif   Wont give me enough time to play it.

Gow 2 will probably be 30 minutes long based on the way things are going in gaming.

Dead Space doesn't seem like my kind of game and I'm a bit short on funds at the moment, but I'm thinking I could give this a rent.

I know, GoW2 campaign will be disapointing compared to this, but it has multi-player also, which will hold my attention for awhile.

Digital Murders
  • Digital Murders

&?

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 19 October 2008 - 01:04 AM

I just got this yesterday as a belated B-Day present. I have to say that I'm very impressed by what I've seen so far and I only just started the second chapter. The HUD or lack there of, as mentioned above, is very innovative. As for it being scary, well that would probably depend on who you ask. Personally there hasn't been anything as of yet that has really made me jump out of my pantaloons, but there are a few things you hear in the background and subtle noises keep you on your feet.

Like Bioshock, this game has a great enviroment. So far the weapons are really fun to play around with. I just unlocked a flamethrower...so I know there are going to be good times to be had.

I'm sure a good chunk of my life will go into this game. Then Gears 2 comes out.... cry.gif

divinee
  • divinee

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 19 October 2008 - 06:13 AM

how long is this game?

Voodoo
  • Voodoo

Cyclop have 9 years

• Unknown

Posted 20 October 2008 - 10:06 PM

QUOTE (divinee @ Oct 19 2008, 01:13)
how long is this game?

I just started chapter 8 of 12 with around 12 hours on my main save, so I could see it going at least 16-18 hours if you thoroughly explore all the levels and don't run past any monsters. I'll probably play through again on impossible mode, too.

Inky
  • Inky

Pineapple.

• The Connection

Posted 20 October 2008 - 10:29 PM

The PC version's out today, isn't it? I should go take a look. I actually had heard the title of the game the last couple of months here and there but never once took a look at any screens or footage up until last night on EP. Gotta say, it looks decent.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

True Gentleman

• Members
  • Jamaica

Posted 20 October 2008 - 10:48 PM

QUOTE (Inky @ Oct 21 2008, 00:29)
The PC version's out today, isn't it? I should go take a look. I actually had heard the title of the game the last couple of months here and there but never once took a look at any screens or footage up until last night on EP. Gotta say, it looks decent.

There is a PC version smile.gif f*ck yeah! I love horror games (and hate horror movies).
The trailer kinda remind me of that movie with Laurence Fishburne. You know "Event Horizon".

Inky
  • Inky

Pineapple.

• The Connection

Posted 21 October 2008 - 09:00 PM

Woo, just went out earlier this morning and picked up the PC version. Im at my friends now but all night I'll be playing this smile.gif

Voodoo
  • Voodoo

Cyclop have 9 years

• Unknown

Posted 22 October 2008 - 06:33 PM

I finished my first playthrough last night with a little over 20 hours on my main save. That's probably an hour or two above the average though, since I really took my time and looked at everything. The option to start a new game with all of your sh*t from previous games is nice. The console specific suits are nice, too. My 360 elite suit is a level 5 with green helmet illumination. They're free to download for now. Now that I've finished the game I can say that I couldn't find one thing wrong with it. It accomplished everything it set out to do very well. I'd highly recommend a purchase or a rental to anyone looking into this.

Impossible mode is going to be interesting.

Inky
  • Inky

Pineapple.

• The Connection

Posted 22 October 2008 - 08:40 PM

I'm in the main lab at the beginning of Chapter 2. So far, as Voodoo said, this game is done right smile.gif . I'd have to say the music is by far, some of the best I've heard in a game. The sound ques for the spooky violins or the creaks and groans of metal bending somewhere on the ship really makes for a great atmosphere.

Screenies:
user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Canofceleri
  • Canofceleri

OG

• The Connection

Posted 22 October 2008 - 09:04 PM

Great, great game. My friend owns it and has already beat it on every setting aside from impossible, and right now he's playing through impossible. I'm gonna rent it this weekend since he wont be coming off it for awhile.

MISTO
  • MISTO

Fries eater

• Members

Posted 23 October 2008 - 05:19 PM

The missing hud helps for the immersion.

A game to quote for those that say EA only makes sh*t.

Digital Murders
  • Digital Murders

&?

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 23 October 2008 - 05:38 PM

Damn you voodoo. tounge.gif

Voodoo
  • Voodoo

Cyclop have 9 years

• Unknown

Posted 24 October 2008 - 07:46 AM

QUOTE (Digital Murders @ Oct 23 2008, 12:38)
Damn you voodoo. tounge.gif

What did I do?

Nice pics, Inky. That little necro in the fetus room gave me a bit of a jolt. Almost as much as seeing embedded images here again.

• Members

Posted 24 October 2008 - 12:27 PM

Jesus, you guys are praising this game, so what's with OXM's craptastic score of 6.5 ??

It's one of those tiny reviews for the real sh*t games.

Voodoo
  • Voodoo

Cyclop have 9 years

• Unknown

Posted 24 October 2008 - 01:19 PM

QUOTE (Don Garcia aka NjNakedSnake @ Oct 24 2008, 07:27)
Jesus, you guys are praising this game, so what's with OXM's craptastic score of 6.5 ??

Apparently, Meghan Watt was either on the rag or just not a fan of the genre. Pretty much everyone else thought it was good.

metacritic - 8.9 overall
Gamespot - 9.0 Editor's Choice
IGN - 8.7

Everyone I've talked to who has played it thinks it's excellent. OXM has the lowest score of anyone by far on the metacritic list. I don't know what was up her ass when she wrote that.

• Members

Posted 24 October 2008 - 01:36 PM Edited by Don Garcia aka NjNakedSnake, 24 October 2008 - 02:22 PM.

Seriously, that confused me.

That is a very low score for a game getting good reviews across the board. And from OXM off all people, heh.

Dead Space executive producer Glenn Schofield stated in a Variety interview that a sequel is already on it's way. Gee, that was fast.

Source: Here

flitcroft101
  • flitcroft101

wat

• Members

Posted 25 October 2008 - 08:32 PM

Installing now biggrin.gif i've heard alot of good things about this game, I can't wait to see if it lives up to the hype. I also got the Anime movie of it last night too but i'm not going to watch it untill i've finished the game.

R.F.
  • R.F.

I <3 R*

• Members

Posted 27 October 2008 - 08:48 PM

QUOTE (Don Garcia aka NjNakedSnake @ Oct 24 2008, 12:27)

Yeah thats what i`m talking about 6.5!!! thats the real score for Dead space! Realy ... The controls sucks the missions are lame the monsters are the same and is verry borring!!! just like far cry2. MAJOR FAIL.

Failure
  • Failure

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 27 October 2008 - 09:05 PM

What's your live tag thing? I use the horrendous mess that is Window's Live to play GoW.

I'm off to play GoW...THE ORIGINAL AND THE BEST!

Digital Murders
  • Digital Murders

&?

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 27 October 2008 - 09:37 PM

QUOTE (VoodooSlumlord @ Oct 24 2008, 01:46)
QUOTE (Digital Murders @ Oct 23 2008, 12:38)
Damn you voodoo.  tounge.gif

What did I do?

I posted about the download for the elite suit for the 360, which you had already mentioned in the post above mine.

I still haven't got through the game yet, I'm stuck on chapter 10. It's because of that f*cker that can regenerate its limbs. I can't move the bunks out of the way fast enough, so he always catches up to me. On top of that, I have no med-packs, and little stasis. And I know in the next room, they bombard you with necros.

Voodoo
  • Voodoo

Cyclop have 9 years

• Unknown

Posted 28 October 2008 - 03:07 PM

QUOTE (Digital Murders @ Oct 27 2008, 16:37)
I still haven't got through the game yet, I'm stuck on chapter 10. It's because of that f*cker that can regenerate its limbs. I can't move the bunks out of the way fast enough, so he always catches up to me. On top of that, I have no med-packs, and little stasis. And I know in the next room, they bombard you with necros.

Yeah, that part was a bitch. If you're really stuck, there's a button cheat to refill your stasis. There's one for oxygen, too. Both are unlimited use and neither affect achievements.

Inky
  • Inky

Pineapple.

• The Connection

Posted 28 October 2008 - 06:15 PM

QUOTE (R.F. @ Oct 27 2008, 14:48)
Yeah thats what i`m talking about 6.5!!! thats the real score for Dead space! Realy ... The controls sucks the missions are lame the monsters are the same and is verry borring!!! just like far cry2. MAJOR FAIL.

How the hell do the controls suck? Maybe it's because I'm on PC, but everyone's been saying that and I just don't get it. And the monsters are the same because it's the same virus/monsters mutating the humans. Why would it change them to different monsters each time?

Lochie_old
  • Lochie_old

Fudging Boring Idiots

• BUSTED!

Posted 29 October 2008 - 07:50 AM

Looks pretty dang fun, I might pick it up after Bioshock!

Or after I bloody finish the games I've already bought. cry.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users