Photo

Verdant Meadows airfield

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
17 replies to this topic
smaisey
  • smaisey

• Members

Posted 14 October 2008 - 12:04 PM

Hi, I am playing San Andreas for the umpteenth time, however, one thing I never figured out, in the mission Verdant Meadows where you have to purchase the airfield, Toreno tells you to offer $1. However, I can never find a way to do this and always end up stumping up $80,000.

Is there a way to offer $1?

Thanks.

cool.gif

Girish
  • Girish

Leone Family Mafia

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 14 October 2008 - 12:35 PM

Err...that was kinda like a figure of speech ya know. There's no actual way that you can buy the airstrip for a single dollar.

smaisey
  • smaisey

• Members

Posted 14 October 2008 - 12:49 PM

Since when has "Offer a dollar" been a figure of speech?

Girish
  • Girish

Leone Family Mafia

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 14 October 2008 - 12:59 PM

QUOTE (smaisey @ Oct 14 2008, 18:19)
Since when has "Offer a dollar" been a figure of speech?

I didn't say it is. It's like a FoS because you're not supposed to take its literal meaning and actually assume that they are going to sell the airstrip for a dollar. Common sense you see.

smaisey
  • smaisey

• Members

Posted 14 October 2008 - 01:16 PM

Torino says "Offer then a Dollar. If they give you a hard time, kill them".

That doesn't sound much like a figure of speech, it's an order, to be taken literally as I see it.

Why not just say "Go and buy the airfield for me" instead?

Girish
  • Girish

Leone Family Mafia

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 14 October 2008 - 01:29 PM

Although the dialogues seem to be some part of the mission that was removed from the game, it is not. Or atleast, I can't find anything about it in the hidden text faq. So, atm, it does not seem that Verdant Meadows was supposed to be anything more than just buying the airstrip. But still, you cannot rule out the possibility that it could have been a full fledged mission that did not make it to the final release of the game and hence, the particular dialogue.

This is just an assumption though, I don't have any proof to back it up.

smaisey
  • smaisey

• Members

Posted 14 October 2008 - 01:32 PM

QUOTE (girishb @ Oct 14 2008, 14:29)
Although the dialogues seem to be some part of the mission that was removed from the game, it is not. Or atleast, I can't find anything about it in the hidden text faq. So, atm, it does not seem that Verdant Meadows was supposed to be anything more than just buying the airstrip. But still, you cannot rule out the possibility that it could have been a full fledged mission that did not make it to the final release of the game and hence, the particular dialogue.

This is just an assumption though, I don't have any proof to back it up.

Cool, no worries.

That makes sense.

Luckily I had just over $80,000 smile.gif

saintdave
  • saintdave

saintdave

• Members
  • England

Posted 14 October 2008 - 02:41 PM

He suggests offering a dollar because its so run down and seemingly worthless that the owners would take any sort of money to be rid of it. At the same time he wants Carl to use his own money and make him think it wont cost as much as it eventually does.

The full speech is quoted here -

Listen, I need you to buy some property, OK. Shouldn't cost that much. You offer them a dollar. If they give you a hard time, kill them. I'm going to need you to start doing some real wet work here for me soon, OK? Enough of this little girl bullsh*t. Now get out of here.

Zyo
  • Zyo

GTAF Crew

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Scotland

Posted 14 October 2008 - 03:27 PM

It's not even a figure of speech. Toreno doesn't care how CJ gets it, be it $1 or $80,000. Its probably not something he even thought about. He just expected CJ to take care of it. the aquisition of it was probably to some extent, a test, from Torenos point of view.

lloydo
  • lloydo

Count

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 14 October 2008 - 04:32 PM

That was such a rip off! Anyway, there was no one there to threaten or pay the money to. ph34r.gif

!!GC!!
  • !!GC!!

-Street Racer-

• Members

Posted 15 October 2008 - 05:16 AM

QUOTE (smaisey @ Oct 15 2008, 02:16)

That doesn't sound much like a figure of speech, it's an order, to be taken literally as I see it.

Hey, its not our fault. Why dont you go and complain to R* that you have to give up $79,999 more than what you were told you had to.

Also, its hardly an order. And why would you take "Offer them a dollar" literally? Thats foolish. The first time i went there, i knew i wasn't going to be able to buy it for a dollar, you should've too.

smaisey
  • smaisey

• Members

Posted 15 October 2008 - 07:41 AM

QUOTE (!!GameCH33TA!! @ Oct 15 2008, 06:16)
QUOTE (smaisey @ Oct 15 2008, 02:16)

Hey, its not our fault. Why dont you go and complain to R* that you have to give up $79,999 more than what you were told you had to.

Also, its hardly an order. And why would you take "Offer them a dollar" literally? Thats foolish. The first time i went there, i knew i wasn't going to be able to buy it for a dollar, you should've too.

I'm not complaining, just making an observation, so get off your high horse.

"Offer them a dollar, if they give you a hard time, kill them" is an instruction, but you don't get the option to make an offer. That was the point I was trying to make.

!!GC!!
  • !!GC!!

-Street Racer-

• Members

Posted 15 October 2008 - 09:07 AM

QUOTE (smaisey @ Oct 15 2008, 20:41)
I'm not complaining, just making an observation, so get off your high horse.

But im not on a high horse.

QUOTE (smaisey)
"Offer them a dollar, if they give you a hard time, kill them" is an instruction, but you don't get the option to make an offer. That was the point I was trying to make.

And i was just stating the fact that we, (GTAF), cannot change this, so stop making foolish statements as if we are the ones to blame for you not being able to only spend $1 on a f*cking airstrip.

HolyGrenadeFrenzy
  • HolyGrenadeFrenzy

drrnage E ih unarEy

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 October 2008 - 06:09 PM

I thought it was an ingenious use of human nature+figure of speach, myself.

Regardless, CJ will feel ripped off by the cost. Even if it is the best deal in the game for him.

"Offer him a dollar" means,"Offer him a low dollar amount for it"

A dollar=A less than equitable amount.

Historically, anything with a tittle can be purchased for Twenty-Dollars for the cost of the tittle if it is owed something when the Gold Standard was considered real money in the USA.

See the US Treasury laws for sourcing this.

Gta_Sailer
  • Gta_Sailer

Snitch

• Members

Posted 23 October 2008 - 09:19 AM

Hi, so what if the air field is 80,000 $ or even more it is your best base in the game with planes a jet pack and also a hanger and a command center/save area i think the air strip is good no matter. and when torino said "Offer them a dollar if they give a hard time kill them" offering a dollar is inpossble unless there is a mod that allows you to enter the price you want to pay for it icon14.gif .

Lioshenka
  • Lioshenka

KGB agent

• Members
  • Wales

Posted 23 October 2008 - 09:52 AM Edited by ˸, 23 October 2008 - 09:54 AM.

QUOTE (girishb @ Oct 14 2008, 12:35)
Err...that was kinda like a figure of speech ya know. There's no actual way that you can buy the airstrip for a single dollar.

The huge chapel next to my house was sold for 3 p (~6 American cents). Why? Corruption, my friend.

But I actually never thought of buying the airstrip for $1 smile.gif

It doesn't sound like a figure of speech to me, more like a left out mission. Considering that we don't actually do much in the mission this can be plausable.

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

Shoot Looters, Hang Pirates!

• GTA Series Staff
  • United-States
  • Contribution Award [San Andreas]

Posted 23 October 2008 - 01:01 PM

He's just being flippant. He doesn't expect CJ to pay just 1$, only to aquire it.

jexrutin
  • jexrutin

Player Hater

• New Members
  • Finland

Posted 3 weeks ago

I think the way Toreno talks in the mission is just... well, how he rolls. Like some of you have already expressed, he might just not care how much CJ should pay for the airstrip, thus making a sort of witty phrase about "offering a dollar".

This might be his protocol on how he deals with people he works with - you need to be prepared for everything. Being a government agent, Toreno has a lot of pressure coming from everywhere. Hence his contracts must succeed like he has stated in various missions (the plane blow-up mission etc).

I myself have noticed some things in the dialogue here and there that haven't fully made sense to me, but that's probably just because I'm not a native. Thus I need to research phrases like these to get some context.

Considering how vast a game San Andreas is and the amount of effort that has been put to it, I'm certain that Rockstar knows exactly what they were doing with this mission. This is the state in which it's been released and there's no changing that.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users