» «
Photo

Official Little Big Planet Topic

197 replies to this topic
YourNeighborhoodKiller
  • YourNeighborhoodKiller

Boss

• BUSTED!

Posted 13 October 2008 - 05:20 PM Edited by YourNeighborhoodKiller, 13 October 2008 - 06:12 PM.

Little Big Planet

Gameplay

In LittleBigPlanet, players control small characters (nicknamed either "Sackboy" or "Sackgirl", owing to their material and appearance), each of which can jump, move, and grab objects. Players can use their abilities to shape and develop the highly manipulatable environment to build custom spaces either individually, collaboratively, and/or competitively. Levels focus on co-operative, physics-based gameplay, and players can use mechanisms such as cogs and blocks to build anything from small level parts to large, complex worlds. The game will also allow opportunities for players to acquire new skills and tools.

A major focus of LittleBigPlanet will be on the global community features through the PlayStation Network for players to interact and share their "patches"[10] - levels and other modifications - as well as online play.

Players can navigate their way through the world by jumping, pushing, grabbing, running to overcome numerous puzzles provided by the game's robust physics engine. Players will also face physics-based enemies ranging from the small such as burning logs, to big "bosses" built around one of six AI "brains" available in the player's toolset[11][12]. In addition, harmful objects can be placed in the game, such as pits of fire and being "squished" or flattened by an object that cause the player to restart that section of the level; players pop and roll out of restart points nearby.

A scoring system is also in place, in the form of a time trial with a start and end gate and players collecting world items such as sponge. Scoring is based on both time and execution of the level.

Dangers

All objects and surfaces can have "dangers" applied to them. Any object can be set on fire, electrified, or frozen and the character will react differently when it comes into contact with each of them. Fire will singe the character if it is touched briefly but he will die if in contact with it for a longer period. Similarly, electrified items will electrocute the player and eventually kill him if he is in contact with it for prolonged periods. Prolonged contact with frozen objects will set the character in a block of ice. During this time the player cannot move but the ice cube acts under the physics of the game and can therefore slide around and be pushed around by other players. The player can break free from the ice by shaking the controller[13]. Explosives are also to feature in the game[14].

The player can also be crushed if trapped under or between heavy items[15].

Objects

Objects are made of many different, selectable materials, such as felt, wood, metal or sponge.[16] The materials act realistically; wood does not change shape when you stand on it or grab it, while felt "squishes" and deforms. Objects are selectable from a pull-out menu, nicknamed "Pop-It" [17], accessible at any point during play.

Usable items are not limited to physical objects; from the "Pop-It" menu "stickers" are also selectable. These "stickers" are pasted to any object or wall throughout the world, limited only by the player/level creator's imagination. The stickers can be created from photos taken from the PlayStation Eye. A resource system is also in the game, where sponge and other items are collected by the player in order to fuel their ability to build new objects.

Player control

Players can jump, move, and grab objects by using the controller. The analogue sticks are used for movement and camera control during the game, but may also be used to move a characters' arms by pressing a certain button to swap between functionality. The head can be moved by using the Sixaxis tilt control.

Character movement will also be based on how hard the controller is used, much like pressure sensitivity; for instance, when the L2 or R2 triggers are held (for the left and right arms respectively), jerking the analogue stick will cause the player to slap another player inside the game.

Grabbing is also a key ability; it allows a character to pull an object, or even another character, in whatever direction they are currently moving. This allows, for example, a chain of players to hang off a rope when only one character is actually grabbing the rope. Also, it allows a jetpack-equipped player to carry other players through the sky.

Emotions are also a controllable aspect of the characters. Aside from the normal expression the player's avatar exhibits, the player also has a choice of four different emotions to show, each emotion triggered by pressing a directional button on the controller's D-pad. Starting from the upward directional button and going clockwise, the emotions are as follows: happy, angry, sad, and nervous. Each emotion has three different levels of intensity, the emotion growing more intense with each consecutive press. Kyle Schubel of SCEA also mentioned they want to expand the emote system even more.[18]

User-created content

After the player has completed three of the levels which ship with the game they will be able to access Create mode, LittleBigPlanet's integrated content-creation system[19]. Any level or individual object can be edited by the player. This includes those which ship with the game, are created by other users or are created by the player. When in Create mode, the player can fly around the level on a jetpack. Pressing the down button on the d-pad will deactivate the jetpack, allowing the user to test the level under normal game conditions. Create mode allows the player to dynamically place, edit, morph, rotate and interact with objects within the game world. The tactile design of the objects and materials available react as at the player would expect when under game physics. Objects can be made out of glass, metal, sponge, polystyrene, cardboard and rubber. More complex items can be built using these materials in conjunction with glue, bolts, string, rods, springs, elastic, winches and pistons[19]. Players will also have access to a range of pre-made objects, such as vehicles, which are shipped with the game or user-created objects which can be given as rewards by the creator for completing his or her level[20][21]. The user can obtain new objects and materials by collecting the Prize Bubbles placed throughout the pre-made levels[19].

The player may place stickers onto the objects in their level. These stickers can be images included in the game or stored on the user's hard drive, photos taken using the PlayStation Eye camera or screenshots taken in-game. From here, levels can be uploaded onto the game's servers where other players can download, play, and edit them. When levels are created, the player can choose to provide a reward for completing the level. Objects given as prizes can then be used in the player's own level, however they are not able to provide it as a reward. The developers hope that this will help expand the share aspect of the game by encouraging users to discuss others' levels with each other and in turn exponentially improve a level's popularity.

User-generated content is not tied to any specific region. This means that all user-created levels will be accessible by users from all three gaming regions; Europe, North America and Asia[22].

Character customisation

The player may customise their character in a range of ways. They are able to select a base colour and texture for their Sackboy from a range of materials and designs. They are also able to create items for the character to wear such as masks and clothes as well as give them pre-made items including swords and capes. The game will also feature items based on other PlayStation 3 franchises such as a Killzone 2 mask[21] and character models based on Kratos, Medusa and Minotaur from the God of War series,[23] Nariko from Heavenly Sword, Old Snake from Metal Gear Solid 4 and Sephiroth from Final Fantasy VII.[24][25]

Multiplayer

LittleBigPlanet features a range of multiplayer options. Levels can be played online with up to four players, locally with up to four players or with a mixture of up to four online and local players. Up to four local users can play together in Create mode, the ability to create levels with up to four players online will be added in an update at some point after the game's launch[26]. How multiple users play with each other is dependent on the design of the level and how the users choose to play allowing the players to choose whether they play cooperatively or battle against each other to get to the finish line first or collect the most bubbles[27][28]. Each local player will also be able to sign in to their own PlayStation Network account and individually collect trophies for their own account. This is the first time such a feature has been included in a PlayStation 3 game[29].

Published by: Sony Computer Entertainment
Developed by: Media Molecule
Release Date: October 21, 2008
ESRB: Everyone
Platforms: PlayStation 3
Category: Action, Adventure, Puzzle
Connectivity: Online
Offical Site: (http://www.littlebigplanet.com/)

* Information taken from Wikipedia and IGN.

Well, I certainly can't wait for this. I remember watching gameplay footage from GameTrailers a while back and was incredibly impressed. The gameplay, graphics, environment, all looked ace. It's already considered an instant classic. It's going to be really fun playing online with friends.

*MURDOC*
  • *MURDOC*

They said I could be anything, so I became a custom member title

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 13 October 2008 - 05:26 PM

Gay.

lol, just kidding. You were able to put more time into it, I had to do this crap from my PS3 since my PC died.

Anyway, as a beta-tester for this game, I can safely say that it IS all its cracked up to be.

Drag_Drift
  • Drag_Drift

I'll rape you with a broomstick.

• Members

Posted 13 October 2008 - 05:45 PM

How can you go wrong with an Old Snake sackboy. hehehe.

Ronnyboy
  • Ronnyboy

Blind leading the deaf, leading the socially inept.

• Members

Posted 13 October 2008 - 11:51 PM

Personally, I don't understand why people can like this. Maybe I am just not that into this sort of thing. Rental for me.

JasonThummel
  • JasonThummel

Modeler

• Members

Posted 14 October 2008 - 12:15 AM

Sack.

That is all.

Chargr
  • Chargr

★★★★★

• Members

Posted 14 October 2008 - 12:21 AM

I'm not interested either, I'll see how it turns out.

poopskin
  • poopskin

Yardie | Not a Clever Man

• Members

Posted 14 October 2008 - 12:49 AM

i wish i had a PS3...The only current gen console i have is a (broken) X360.
That means all i need to get to complete this gen is...
CODE

Normal:
PS3
[s]X360[/s]
WII

Excessive:
The other model of X360

Crazy:
Every other unlisted X360/PS3 variant
[/B]

//JohnnyGat\\
  • //JohnnyGat\\

//--TheLost&Damned--\\

• Members

Posted 14 October 2008 - 01:11 AM

i played the Beta for 2 weeks. and it was fun for about 4 days. it just got really boring. maybe a rental.

Rick88
  • Rick88

"Who is Atlas?"...

• Members

Posted 14 October 2008 - 02:35 AM

I tried to get into the beta every way I could but didn't make it sad.gif. lol

I heard a lot of good things about this game, I'm definitely getting it when it comes out.

coin-god
  • coin-god

High Roller

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 14 October 2008 - 03:04 AM

Sounds like something funny for just 7-8 days... and then boring.

Anyway i dont have a PS3. confused.gif

freak2121
  • freak2121

I'm bored.

• Members

Posted 14 October 2008 - 03:42 AM

If it was for the PC I may be able to like it.But since it's PS3 only it's a no go for me.

Blackadder.
  • Blackadder.

Luck. Runs. Out.

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 14 October 2008 - 08:27 AM

I saw some of this on 4playerpodcast, looks pretty neat, even though I don't have a PS3.

My only concern though is banking the majority of the games premise on user-driven content might lead to it's downfall. Talented artists are rare to find.

*MURDOC*
  • *MURDOC*

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 14 October 2008 - 10:18 AM

QUOTE (Blackadder. @ Oct 14 2008, 03:27)
I saw some of this on 4playerpodcast, looks pretty neat, even though I don't have a PS3.

My only concern though is banking the majority of the games premise on user-driven content might lead to it's downfall. Talented artists are rare to find.

Judging from the Beta only, theres more talent out there than you might think.

Theres already people who are basically genius' when it comes to making levels and sh*t, and its just going to get better.

In-fact, I feel that the longer the games out, the better it will be.

vicenzo312
  • vicenzo312

We live Together, We die Together

• Members

Posted 14 October 2008 - 05:57 PM

Be sure you get it on the release so you can receive the limited edition, one time only space suit Sackboy costume. If that isn't enough, pre-ordering gets you one of five bonuses.

oldage
  • oldage

Boss

• Members

Posted 14 October 2008 - 06:43 PM

Darn , i can't wait for this.
First thing i'm gonna do is...make a kratos sackboy biggrin.gif

Vanillainy
  • Vanillainy

Fancy Clown.

• Zaibatsu

Posted 14 October 2008 - 07:06 PM

QUOTE (oldage @ Oct 14 2008, 19:43)

There is one already that you get from some voucher thing, only photo of it here:

*http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3047/2735649337_84d626d6dc.jpg?v=0

AbSoLuTiOn
  • AbSoLuTiOn

TFKG<3

• BUSTED!

Posted 14 October 2008 - 07:30 PM

QUOTE (FunkyChunky @ Oct 14 2008, 19:06)
QUOTE (oldage @ Oct 14 2008, 19:43)

There is one already that you get from some voucher thing, only photo of it here:

*http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3047/2735649337_84d626d6dc.jpg?v=0

I'm getting both the Nariko and Kratos Sackpeople.

Damn, i can't wait for this game, the Beta was so fun.

geomy
  • geomy

• Zaibatsu

Posted 28 October 2008 - 07:04 PM

Picked this up yesterday, and so far it's pretty good. I have only passed the first area of story mode and barely scratched the surface of the 'create' aspect, so it's not like I can make much of a judgment, but it had both me and my girlfriend smiling and laughing last night.

The characters are instantly lovable, and the stages are well put together. It should be fun trying to gather up all those hidden goodies. Also, having picked it up so early, it was nice to see my PSN id near the top of some of the leaderboards (single digits yesterday are probably in the 100s by now).

My only gripe is the occasional freezing. When loading or playing in the pod I had a couple freezes. I didn't have to reset or anything, but a blurry sackboy frozen for even 30 seconds is something I could have done without. Hopefully a patch is on the way to help ease some of the loading/freezing.

Bottom line, if you have a PS3, get this game. And then look for my levels and heart me

elanman
  • elanman

Misanthropic lycanthrope

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 28 October 2008 - 07:20 PM

QUOTE (freak2121 @ Oct 14 2008, 03:42)
If it was for the PC I may be able to like it.But since it's PS3 only it's a no go for me.

There are rumours of it being ported to PC.

jking
  • jking

Drama setter

• Members

Posted 28 October 2008 - 07:31 PM

QUOTE (elanman @ Oct 28 2008, 12:20)
QUOTE (freak2121 @ Oct 14 2008, 03:42)

There are rumours of it being ported to PC.

kinda like the MGS4 rumor? its just a rumor. im probably gonna get this tonite or tomorrow cause it looks interesting.

Duke Nukem
  • Duke Nukem

• The Connection

Posted 28 October 2008 - 07:57 PM

QUOTE (jking @ Oct 28 2008, 13:31)
...im probably gonna get this tonite or tomorrow cause it looks interesting.

Same here. Really going to try and make it into my local town to pick up my pre-ordered copy, but most likely I'll have to wait until tomorrow.

Really no biggy, I have GTA4 trophies to hold me over until then.

Can't wait until I am actually able to pick up the game, I'm pretty damn hyped for it. I'm just hoping that I end up enjoying it, rather than hating it.

jking
  • jking

Drama setter

• Members

Posted 28 October 2008 - 08:52 PM

QUOTE (Duke Nukem @ Oct 28 2008, 12:57)

Same here. Really going to try and make it into my local town to pick up my pre-ordered copy, but most likely I'll have to wait until tomorrow.

Can't wait until I am actually able to pick up the game, I'm pretty damn hyped for it. I'm just hoping that I end up enjoying it, rather than hating it.

well its something other than a First Person Shooter which the market is flooded with, now and forever and different can be a good thing like skate took my attention for alot longer than i thought it would so i think LBP will be the same.

Duke Nukem
  • Duke Nukem

• The Connection

Posted 28 October 2008 - 10:25 PM

QUOTE (jking @ Oct 28 2008, 14:52)
QUOTE (Duke Nukem @ Oct 28 2008, 12:57)

well its something other than a First Person Shooter which the market is flooded with, now and forever and different can be a good thing like skate took my attention for alot longer than i thought it would so i think LBP will be the same.

Exactly. I'm rather surprised that I'm so hyped for it, I really don't have that much creative talent to dish out my own full blown levels, but nonetheless I think it's a great game to start with.

I couldn't agree more on the FPS statement. I'm a shooter fan, always have been, and always will be. However, it's nice to toss in a little variety every now and then, and LBP seems to be just the key to do it.

oldage
  • oldage

Boss

• Members

Posted 28 October 2008 - 10:47 PM

Buh , It's delayed to 7 november for belgium sneaky2.gif

AbSoLuTiOn
  • AbSoLuTiOn

TFKG<3

• BUSTED!

Posted 28 October 2008 - 11:54 PM

November 5th for the UK, but knowing Play.com, i'll get it 2/3 days early. biggrin.gif

Rick88
  • Rick88

"Who is Atlas?"...

• Members

Posted 29 October 2008 - 02:34 AM

I just got the game yesterday and it is freaking amazing! Its really fun, especially with other people. The servers are down though, so I haven't had the chance to try it out online. The level creator is also easy and really entertaining to mess around with. lol.gif

Pagelzilla
  • Pagelzilla

Blowjob Enthusiast

• Members

Posted 30 October 2008 - 02:51 AM

Soo funny story. I just picked up the game today and when I put it in I had to download update 1.02. So I played for around an hour and turned it off to finish some work. I turned it back on around a half hour later and I had to download version 1.03.

Silly.

Panz
  • Panz

JLaw Enthusiast

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 30 October 2008 - 03:06 AM

The game is amazing. Every level is completely different from the one before.
It's crazy. Right now the servers are down because it's being a bitch, but hopefully I can get to play something decent online..

So far, I have no idea what to create. Too many choices.
I played someone's batman level. That was fun. The story is great, though..And you can replay the same level 5 times and not be bored (you'll have to if you want to get all the items).

JostVice
  • JostVice

realtime, not prerendered

• Members

Posted 31 October 2008 - 09:15 PM

Can't wait to get it, will do when I finish all these exams so I don't get distracted icon14.gif

I have a question, I heard there are co-ops levels, but I only have one six... I can still play?

Might get the DS for Christmas I guess

*MURDOC*
  • *MURDOC*

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 31 October 2008 - 09:24 PM

QUOTE (Jost_Vice @ Oct 31 2008, 16:15)
Can't wait to get it, will do when I finish all these exams so I don't get distracted icon14.gif

I have a question, I heard there are co-ops levels, but I only have one six... I can still play?

Might get the DS for Christmas I guess

You can always play online co-op.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users