Quantcast

» «
Photo

Where art thou R* or Take 2 PR Team..anybody?

42 replies to this topic
daxlax
  • daxlax

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 October 2008 - 11:53 PM

Just what do the P.R gurus at these companies get paid for exactly? lol. Here we are less than 2 months away from GTA IV getting it's PC release, were still hopelessly clinging on to a short brief press release and couple screen shots released way back in August. I'm not expecting anything huge like the Houser brothers granting us the great unwashed PC community an audience like they would for those hip and trendy console kids. I'm just begging you the powers that be at Rockstar to grant us something new and shiny to give us hope in these closing weeks.

In all serious though is'int it about fricken time they started getting to the nitty-gritty when it comes to details? I'm sure they must have SOME idea of what computer might be able to run it by now even if it's not finalised specs. I might even be impressed if they just showed us a couple more screen shots. I was talking to some friends earlier today and one of them who's a hardcore PC gamer didnt even realise GTA IV was being released till today!

It just would be nice for them to acknowledge that there's a community out there eagerly anticipating this game's release sad.gif .

CharmingCharlie
  • CharmingCharlie

Proud PC Gamer

• Members

Posted 06 October 2008 - 12:08 AM

You are not the only one scratching their head over this. Anyone would think the PC version still doesn't exist with all the silence. I know some people will assume this means Rockstar doesn't care about the PC version or Rockstar doesn't want to detract from the console version but I think that is a bit silly.

I believe the most viable reason we haven't heard anything is down to Rockstar learning the lessons from the Console release. People got way too over hyped for the console version and inevitably were disappointed when they finally got hold of the product and it didn't save humanity.

What Rockstar has to remember is the PC community is a much more mature audience we can seperate fact from fiction tounge.gif and behave in a more adult manner. I think they have gone too far the other way now, scared to release any info incase it damages the prospects for the game.

It is silly but nothing we can do about it, I am just wondering if they are waiting for the 1 month before launch date and then we will get some information, but for now we just have to speculate the hell out of every little thing tounge.gif tounge.gif

GTA3Freak-2001
  • GTA3Freak-2001

Run out of Cake.

• Members

Posted 06 October 2008 - 12:15 AM

This isn't that unusual, the past PC versions of GTA have never had much in the way of PR and whatnot. Why would they need to? They've done all the work with the console versions, the mere confirmation of the PC version is enough to get people to buy it.

TruXter
  • TruXter

retXurT

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 October 2008 - 12:45 AM

I really wish the pc version would get a tad more notice.

I mean so we can look at some screen shots and vids
get some info. It would be nice to see some better
fuller (?) visually finished screen shot, I mean so the place
doesn't go all "dhatz" on us.

mobile
  • mobile

Mobile

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 October 2008 - 01:29 AM

Well.. Bully will be released for the PC in some days and almost nothing was showed to us concerning the port or its improvements.

I do know that Bully if far less important than GTA IV but they are using some similar procedures to show their products regarding the gaming PC consumers.

It was completely different during the months before San Andreas PC version... Almost every week we were shown to some high res screen shots. (even fan sites got some exclusive PC high res screen shots sent directly from Rockstar) They also released trailers and some ingame short movies.

So... I just hope they don't delay it. I'll buy it anyway but despite our much more mature community we're still behaving like children waiting this game so badly and counting the days to its release.

Damn... 45 days left.

GTA3Freak-2001
  • GTA3Freak-2001

Run out of Cake.

• Members

Posted 06 October 2008 - 03:42 AM

Yeah I guess we did get those PC screenshots for SA but still it seems that any secondary or re-releases of games later down the track rarely get the same attention they did when the game first debuted to the world.

medfreak
  • medfreak

Number of fingers = GTA IV PC bugs...

• Members

Posted 06 October 2008 - 11:39 AM

It is just ridiculous. Regardless of whether or not the PC "crowd" are mature enough to tell fact from fiction, PR is important to sell a product. Depending on the PR of the console version just won't cut it.

And they are wondering why consoles sell more than the PC version. 6 months delay, no hype at all and no real improvements. I be they are just playing the low profile game in order to still maximize their sales of the console version to the gullible console owners who would have preferred a PC version but still didn't hear about it.

Dillyracer
  • Dillyracer

citizen of lost heaven

• Members

Posted 06 October 2008 - 11:45 AM

And then they're complaining the PC version of the game doesn't sell as good as the console version does.

The hypocrites !

GTA_Godfather
  • GTA_Godfather

PC Advocate

• Members

Posted 06 October 2008 - 08:30 PM

You would think that R* would do some advertising. I must say though, I'm not surprised they haven't done any at all. I think MS and Sony have too tight a grip on R*'s nads to allow them to publicize this game like they should.

My AIM out of all of this is to see R* stand up with the next GTA and MOVE FORWARD on the PC front. I have yet to see any progress being made. It's sad, because with all their success you would think R* could dictate their own terms (no delayed launches, no watering down the game for the sake of consoles, more publicizing of PC version, etc.). The onus is on Rockstar.

As far as marketing goes, it's a double-edged sword. I like to think the the reduced marketing helps keep game prices lower than their console counterparts. Plus, console games are always way over-hyped. I love that part (that PC games don't get over-hyped nearly as much as console games). But, surely R* could spend a take a little bit of their profits just to remind everyone how great the game is and how it will be even better on the PC. Any amount of coin they invest in this would easily be returned 10 fold with an increase in sales.

I still wouldn't count out a collector's edition. When did we learn that there would a collector's edition of the watered-down version? Was it a month before release? Also keep in mind that many more console fanboys preorder games than do PC gamers. So, it's not a big deal WHEN they announce it, as long as it's before the final release date. Even if someone does pre-order a regular version, it's not a big deal to cancel that for the collector's edition. Many console owners had this happen to them already.

Nomad91
  • Nomad91

Life is Complicated...

• Members

Posted 06 October 2008 - 08:50 PM Edited by Nomad91, 06 October 2008 - 09:08 PM.

I think the reason for no news and no requirements released is that they are having trouble with the game. Like a serious compatibility problems. Something like the San Andreas Audio ph34r.gif ph34r.gif ph34r.gif

@Godfather: I think they won't make that move because it is harder for the average teenager (In my school, Long Island), to operate the Calculator on Windows than it is for them to buy a console. Also the price for a PC to decently run GTA V will be around $500. Although buying a PC has increased functionality, many people use a PC to check email or surf the web, and a $150 laptop (My nc400 biggrin.gif ) can do that, so they see no need in a gaming rig. Consoles also offer instant play, not the 15+ minutes to install, 5 minutes to boot the computer...blah blah blah. I know some people who power up their 360 in the morning to play some GTA for 10 minutes before driving to school, and a computer simply wouldn't allow that much gameplay in such little time. Maybe 3 minutes of playtime on the PC. I'm a avid PC gamer, but I'm just putting it down on the fact that they can't provide a dedicated gaming mode to play a game as soon as the disc is put in (Except Microsoft's "Tray and Play" but we all know how big of a bag of sh*t that was).

-Nomad

P.S. What does PR stand for? moto_whistle.gif

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Contribution Award [GTAF]
    Contribution Award [Gen Chat]

Posted 06 October 2008 - 09:07 PM Edited by tripmills, 06 October 2008 - 09:38 PM.

true or not most game companies are claiming all the money is in the console market. that is where they sink their marketing and development $$ these days. we are just going to have to accept it for awhile(if not forever). PC games are going to have to play second fiddle.

i wouldn't be suprised if there was no line item for marketing gta4 pc(other than box production).

maybe - just maybe we will see the same old tv ads used for the console release just with some coming to pc november text added on top.

they made their money - the pc release is just gravy im guessing.

edit:
@Nomad91 - people turn their PCs off? laptops=sure - desktops=i thought we were to leave those always powered on. i'm just poking/kidding by the way. sure there is that once and done install, but after that it only takes me a second to fire up a game on my workhorse machine.

PR...and rockstar....hahahaha. they have no public relations. shoot, they don't even have good employee relations from what i have read

Nomad91
  • Nomad91

Life is Complicated...

• Members

Posted 06 October 2008 - 09:11 PM

Yea, with the good job R* is doing, maybe we will get a vid, with Xbox360 and PS3 marking poorly scribbled out and the release date is will be altered - poorly. And then it will say GFWL and then have PC DVD-ROM slapped over it. I can't wait!

DML
  • DML

PC Gamer

• Members

Posted 06 October 2008 - 09:41 PM

QUOTE (CharmingCharlie @ Oct 6 2008, 10:08)
I know some people will assume this means Rockstar doesn't care about the PC version or Rockstar doesn't want to detract from the console version but I think that is a bit silly.

I believe the most viable reason we haven't heard anything is down to Rockstar learning the lessons from the Console release.   People got way too over hyped for the console version and inevitably were disappointed when they finally got hold of the product and it didn't save humanity.

What Rockstar has to remember is the PC community is a much more mature audience we can seperate fact from fiction  tounge.gif and behave in a more adult manner.  I think they have gone too far the other way now, scared to release any info incase it damages the prospects for the game. 

It is silly but nothing we can do about it, I am just wondering if they are waiting for the 1 month before launch date and then we will get some information, but for now we just have to speculate the hell out of every little thing  tounge.gif   tounge.gif

I know the first point isn't entirely true, but you can't seriously overlook how Rockstar have an obligation to maintain their ego when it comes to their original choice of release platform for GTA IV. Here are a few of my theories:

- Rockstar aren't actually allowed to hype the PC version as a result of their contractual agreements with either or both of the console manufacturers. (maybe)
- Rockstar simply do not want the PC version to appear anywhere near as successful as the console version(s). Constricting the amount of publicity given to the PC launch will ensure this does not happen.

If there's one thing I've learned from all this crap (Rockstar and Take 2's crap), it's that you cannot put ANYTHING past them.

QUOTE (GTA_Godfather @ Oct 7 2008, 06:30)
I still wouldn't count out a collector's edition. When did we learn that there would a collector's edition of the watered-down version? Was it a month before release? Also keep in mind that many more console fanboys preorder games than do PC gamers. So, it's not a big deal WHEN they announce it, as long as it's before the final release date. Even if someone does pre-order a regular version, it's not a big deal to cancel that for the collector's edition. Many console owners had this happen to them already.

I believe the collector's edition is a very important indicator of Rockstar's true intentions here. Their decision to release one for the console versions (among other things such as the 6-month delay) means that they clearly have a bias towards them, so a failure to at-least release the same type of edition for PC gamers would only set this fact harder in concrete.

And Nomad91, PR stands for "public relations"; something Rockstar clearly knows nothing about.

daxlax
  • daxlax

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 06 October 2008 - 11:46 PM

I would just like to throw something else into the hat as well for the conspiracy point of view - I know alot of PC gamers wouldnt of been following this but just check out how much coverage Take2 are throwing out there for a game that's a year old now (Bioshock - Playstation 3 release). Honestly it's like every other week there's a new preview,video,screen shots, interview with the team.

It's night and day difference and really doesnt fit in with Take2 treating every platform "equal".

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 07 October 2008 - 06:33 AM

I don't know about you guys, but I don't see things changing anytime soon. And this is what it's all about, isn't it? We would like to see something more from R* in future. We would all leave bygones be bygones if only they would show a bare minimum of dignity and stop messing around.

R* has made a habit of putting PC gamers on the back seat (to say the least) and well, why not? They get their nice bribe money, an amount nobody in PC world is willing to fork out, they sell nicely (I have no doubt in my mind they would sell a 100 million copies with they hype they generated had MS and Sony managed to sell enough units of their dark creatures of destruction) on consoles and finally they will sell a few millions on PC too. If they sell via Steam (which I'm 99,99999% sure they will) they will probably earn a bit more per copy then in retail. And what did they actually invest in the PC version? Code conversion can not be that expensive (IMO they had the engine set and ready to be used a lot before they scheduled it for PC release), assets were more or less ready to go, while the improvements are always better kept to a bare minimum. Better textures and crap were probably ready from the day one, they only resized them for consoles. And I can bet my sweet ass Nvidia and/or Intel will cover most of those costs without losing any sleep about it.

So, where does this leave us? In a sh*t hole, yeah. Let's say we don't need the DLC, as the game will be extensively modded. This will keep people entertained for years. They will probably repeat the same procedure with the next GTA and what can be done about it? Nothing! They got their easy money, sold the game, shared the wealth with their masters and have the PC crowd right there where they want them - angry, upset, bitching and moaning, but still more then willing to buy the game in future. Goddamn, what a business plan!

DML
  • DML

PC Gamer

• Members

Posted 07 October 2008 - 11:44 AM Edited by DML, 07 October 2008 - 11:48 AM.

QUOTE (mkey82 @ Oct 7 2008, 16:33)
Goddamn, what a business plan!

And for the icing on the cake... MANY PC GAMERS STILL RESPECT THEM FOR IT!!! notify.gif

Giving them money for the game is bad enough given the delay fine, but to show them all this love and respect after the way they've treated PC gamers...it makes me feel sick to be honest.

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 07 October 2008 - 11:56 AM

Oh yeah, I forgot to commend you for your sig, DML. Very realistic and grounded point of view icon14.gif

pinky
  • pinky

"Tooled up and chibbin' ye, ya Bass".

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 07 October 2008 - 12:12 PM

To answer the origonal question.
The console versions are allready doing the advertising, no PR required. Additional advertising is being done through the press via the usual" my kid killed because of GTA" bullsh*t stories.

So, today being Tuesday it will be the day they are all down the Jobcentre picking up their Jobseekers allowance. wink.gif

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 07 October 2008 - 12:18 PM

QUOTE (pinky @ Oct 7 2008, 14:12)
no PR required

I think some PR would be nice, for a change. And definitely required. Just to let everybody know the PC version is coming and that it should surpass the existing GTA IV betas.

The console release was months ago, most people are playing something else by now, only we the pathetic few are still waiting.

disposeablehero
  • disposeablehero

Hustler

• Members

Posted 07 October 2008 - 05:24 PM

And people wonder why PC games sell less and have a perception issue, no one bothers advertising, marketing it at all, its advantages and strengths. All we get are arrogant sheep devs who keep saying over and over the PC market is in tatters, 10.7 billion of tatters mind you. Many developes are hypocrites.

SyphonPayne
  • SyphonPayne

E FOR EFFORT!!!

• Members

Posted 07 October 2008 - 05:41 PM

I think they got drunk and ran away sad.gif .

It really is bullsh*t that they barely say anything about the PC version but it was practically the same way for San Andreas and Vice City.

Dillyracer
  • Dillyracer

citizen of lost heaven

• Members

Posted 07 October 2008 - 07:04 PM

It's even worse for Saints Row 2, people are begging for an update on the release date of the PC versio, but THQ just refuses to give an answer.

Neon25
  • Neon25

Proud PC gamer

• Members

Posted 08 October 2008 - 01:43 PM

Not exactly on the topic, but... GOD.

Michael de Plater of Ubisoft tells Videogaming247 the reason that Tom Clancy's EndWar isn't coming out for the PC on the same day as the console versions is because of concerns about piracy:

“To be honest, if PC wasn’t pirated to hell and back, there’d probably be a PC version coming out the same day as the other two,” he said, talking of the voice-controlled RTS.

“But at the moment, if you release the PC version, essentially what you’re doing is letting people have a free version that they rip off instead of a purchased version. Piracy’s basically killing PC.”

We asked if piracy was the main reason to keep EndWar off PC.

“Yeah, at the time of release,” he said. “You know, the level of piracy that you get with the PC just cannibalizes the others, because people just steal that version.”

http://www.videogaming247.com/2008/10/08/u...lly-killing-pc/ (http://www.videogami...lly-killing-pc/)

Not this sh*t again.

I mean- it's kind of the same excuse that R* is using I think and it's just bullcrap. PC gamers BUY stuff when it's WORTH IT. I bought BreakQuest because it was such awesome arkanoid game, but I didn't buy Crysis because it was stinking engine test.

DML
  • DML

PC Gamer

• Members

Posted 08 October 2008 - 01:47 PM

QUOTE (Neon25 @ Oct 8 2008, 23:43)

Michael de Plater of Ubisoft tells Videogaming247 the reason that Tom Clancy's EndWar isn't coming out for the PC on the same day as the console versions is because of concerns about piracy:

“To be honest, if PC wasn’t pirated to hell and back, there’d probably be a PC version coming out the same day as the other two,” he said, talking of the voice-controlled RTS.

“But at the moment, if you release the PC version, essentially what you’re doing is letting people have a free version that they rip off instead of a purchased version. Piracy’s basically killing PC.”

“Yeah, at the time of release,” he said. “You know, the level of piracy that you get with the PC just cannibalizes the others, because people just steal that version.”

http://www.videogaming247.com/2008/10/08/u...lly-killing-pc/ (http://www.videogami...lly-killing-pc/) (http://www.videogami...lly-killing-pc/)

Not this sh*t again.

I mean- it's kind of the same excuse that R* is using I think and it's just bullcrap. PC gamers BUY stuff when it's WORTH IT. I bought BreakQuest because it was such awesome arkanoid game, but I didn't buy Crysis because it was stinking engine test.

Man! Ubisoft can talk! [/sarcasm] They package cracks made by warez release groups in their patches, so they're actually doing their own little bit in promoting piracy (or piracy groups). Lame.

disposeablehero
  • disposeablehero

Hustler

• Members

Posted 08 October 2008 - 06:08 PM

QUOTE (Neon25 @ Oct 8 2008, 13:43)

http://www.videogaming247.com/2008/10/08/u...lly-killing-pc/ (http://www.videogami...lly-killing-pc/) (http://www.videogami...lly-killing-pc/)

Not this sh*t again.

Engine test why, because a guy on a forum says? gameplay wise Crysis is one of the better shooters of the last sevreral years, BS. If gives the player a wide array of ways to play, unlike most Cooridoor console shooters. Hell, Compare it to Hale, COD4 and how can yuo say it si an engine test? Typical ignorant banter. Game being good or not is still no reason to pirate. Do without or STFU, it still is harmfulm as devs see the number of pirated copies and get discouraged, I know I would if something I worked on for years was.

Neon25
  • Neon25

Proud PC gamer

• Members

Posted 08 October 2008 - 07:04 PM

Engine test why, because a guy on a  forum says?

Yes, and I am this guy.

gameplay wise Crysis is one of the better shooters of the last sevreral years, BS.

What a load of bullcrap. Gameplay wise Crysis is crap, Koreans don't see you on Delta difficulty when you're 2 meters from them with the cloak on, but when you are 50 meters away with a sniper and you shoot, suddenly they all know where you are...

If gives the player a wide array of ways to play,

Yea- shoot, don't shoot or shoot with tranquilizers. What a great gameplay. sarcasm.gif And after you reach the aliens all you can do is shoot, shoot and shoot. What an awesome game. sarcasm.gif

Hell, Compare it to Hale, COD4 and how can yuo say it si an engine test?

I didn't play Halo. And COD4 was the best shooter of 2007, period. The visuals, gameplay(it was linear, for sure, but you played it like a good action movie), something you've never seen/experienced in a game before the last sights of a soldier who was in the area of nuke attack.

Typical ignorant banter.

Yeah, I'm ignorant cause I think different than you. sarcasm.gif

Game being good or not is still no reason to pirate.

Quote me on saying that I pirated the game. I rented it from a friend actually, as I thought about buying it. But its cost was around 150z³(~70 dollars) in my country, so I just wanted to check it out before buying.

Do without or STFU, it still is harmfulm as devs see the number of pirated copies and get discouraged, I know I would if something I worked on for years was.

I can see it hurts you SO much that people have different opinions in the internet.

Remember kids, internet= serious business.

spudz47
  • spudz47

Snitch

• Members

Posted 08 October 2008 - 08:10 PM

May I say something?
In my opinion Rockstar Games want to sell games for consoles. I think they concentrate on consoles because console users buy their products hands down no questions asked. But they can't just sit like that and not make a game for the PC - that's a travesty! They need to make at least a port for the PC. But still - they would like the units they sell to be for either the PS3 or the Xbox360 - if you can't buy console games - you can buy the PC version.
They don't PR the game for the PC because they want to PR it for the console owners. And if you don't own a console - you can still play it...
You think?

Neon25
  • Neon25

Proud PC gamer

• Members

Posted 08 October 2008 - 08:39 PM

Some other article I've stumbled upon:
CODE
http://cascade-gaming.com/article.php?id=11

GTA_Godfather
  • GTA_Godfather

PC Advocate

• Members

Posted 08 October 2008 - 09:42 PM

QUOTE (spudz47 @ Oct 8 2008, 20:10)
May I say something?
In my opinion Rockstar Games want to sell games for consoles. I think they concentrate on consoles because console users buy their products hands down no questions asked.

Sure, like all those console gamers who pirated the 360 version of the game before it hit the shelves. OK, we'll pretend that didn't happen. MS/R* did a good job of sweeping that under the rug by downplaying it. No big deal, right?

It's not about pirating. It's about the guaranteed money R* gets from Sony and MS. R* could make money on the PC, but the lure of the guaranteed revenue is too strong I guess.

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 09 October 2008 - 07:42 AM

It seems funny (to me) how most of the discussions about R* business tactics end up with piracy and antipiracy talk. Let's talk facts.

R* loses money because of piracy. Both consoles and PC suffer because of piracy. The question is "to what extent?"

To what extent does piracy affect gaming nowadays? If we believed such companies as R*, T2 or Epicfail then the effects of piracy are devastating and we have passed the point of no return. Thusly, the PC gaming is truly dying. Obviously, this is a pile of dog sh*t as there are a lot of indicators the PC gaming worldwide is blooming, with more and more users having more then decent PCs and using various digital distribution services. We are talking about dozens of millions here. The fact is, these companies still make games for PC. This proves there is money to be made on it. Of course, with a delayed release.

I'm convinced that most (like 90%) of the piracy going on can be attributed to a general lack of funding. People who can't spend 40 to 50$ for a game. Lets not forget, this price often goes considerably up in a lot of countries after taxes and various over the top import fees. In some countries games can not be even purchased legally. Yes, there are services like Valve's Steam, but they also like to implement fascistic policies where they like to rid people from "wrong" countries of the opportunity to purchase some of their games. Yeah that's right, you want to give them your money, but they don't want to take it. So, if piracy would die all together the impact on gaming industry would be minimal. Some "pirates" would start buying games, while most would just stop gaming and so something useful for a change biggrin.gif . What about those people who like the "try before you buy" model? They would certainly be discouraged, as they like to see what is their hard earned money going to be spent on. Maybe nobody has noticed, but there is a world financial crisis going on and that will have to affect game developers also. So lets get real.

What about freedoms? Let's not forget, DRM exist only to bust people's chops. So they implement all various techniques to cut down people rights after they purchase the game and when some guy says "f*ck this, I don't need that sh*t on my PC! I'm skipping this game/company from now on!" they blame piracy. Yeah, people don't have the right to be mad because some jerks like to act as "big brother", omnipotent eye who likes to observe and control it's feeble disciples. f*ck that! If a company doesn't show any respect for their users, what can they expect in return? One big fat nothing.

The fact remains, piracy is not such a big issue as some companies want to make it to be. And we are lucky as most of those titles is just pathetic console rubbish I wouldn't like to play anyway. If it was a 2 meg download I wouldn't bother with it so what the hell.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users