» «
Photo

GTA IV PC Version - TGM Italy Magazine

38 replies to this topic
GTASeriesVideos.com
  • GTASeriesVideos.com

GTA Series Videos

• Members

Posted 26 September 2008 - 06:04 PM Edited by Budd, 26 September 2008 - 07:15 PM.

http://media.gta-ser.../tgm_gta4pc.jpg (http://media.gta-ser.../tgm_gta4pc.jpg)

The Italian Magazine "The Game Machine" was invited to attend a hands-on preview of GTA IV PC version. The following is a summary of the main points of the article.

1. The Replay Editor gives us the possibility to record, save and edit the last 30 seconds of the game. Once you have saved your video you can open another internal software in order to change the point of view, add special effects and with the Montage Editor you can edit various replays into a single sequence, add audio tracks from the OST of the game and add effects like transition from a sequence to another. All this can be done in order to upload and publish your videos in the RSC (Rockstar Social Club) and share them with the community.

2. The game also has a few small improvements, like an improved version of the GPS map. Now you can point and click with the mouse on a specific location and add notes or images in order to personalize it.

3. Improved streaming: The power of CPUs today reduces one of the strange casualities of the game, the monothematic appearance of cars equal to the one your driving. The improved power of the PC will reduce this casuality, at the same time, adding more vehicles and pedestrians.

4. The game was played using an X-Box 360 pad and three different missions were played (missions that were almost at the 50% of the storyline). The experience was the same as the console version.

5. According to the editor, playing with the mouse and keyboard is less comfortable than using a pad. "The default key force the player at times to piano player virtuosity and the possibility to freely move the camera with the mouse removes the automatic return to the default rear car view. This means that you have to move the mouse constantly in order to find the best point of view". Maybe both of these things still have to be improved.

Removed links to the scans, please no scans or linking to scans

Neon25
  • Neon25

Proud PC gamer

• Members

Posted 26 September 2008 - 06:16 PM

Cool, as I see it the new info is coming out from October till the release. First The Italian Magazine, next CD-Action, next probably PC Gamer or some of the kind.

CharmingCharlie
  • CharmingCharlie

Proud PC Gamer

• Members

Posted 26 September 2008 - 06:23 PM Edited by CharmingCharlie, 26 September 2008 - 06:31 PM.

Thanks for the info Budd, bit of a mixed bag, I totally loved this statement :-

3. Improved streaming: The power of CPUs today reduces one of the strange casualities of the game, the monothematic appearance of cars equal to the one your driving. The improved power of the PC will reduce this casuality, at the same time, adding more vehicles and pedestrians.

Doesn't that make you feel all warm and fuzzy on the inside PC gamers biggrin.gif for the record this was a MASSIVE problem on the console version. You would see entire streets filled with exactly the same car you were driving and I absolutely HATED it.

Unfortunately it isn't all good news, this bit had me worried :-

5. According to the editor, playing with the mouse and keyboard is less comfortable than using a pad. "The default key force the player at times to piano player virtuosity and the possibility to freely move the camera with the mouse removes the automatic return to the default rear car view. This means that you have to move the mouse constantly in order to find the best point of view". Maybe both of these things still have to be improved.

Sounds to me as if Rockstar is only giving the mouse and keyboard lip service again suicidal.gif Despite the fact nearly 70% of PC gamers want to play this game with the mouse and keyboard. They really need to get this sorted, there is no reason why GTA 4 cannot be perfectly controlled with a mouse and keyboard.

Nomad91
  • Nomad91

Life is Complicated...

• Members

Posted 26 September 2008 - 06:24 PM

I'm just worried because they say the PC Version can have more cars and peds on screen, which might bog down older CPUs like mine. confused.gif

free_to_view
  • free_to_view

GTA BOSS OF ALL BOSSES AND PC GAMER

• Members

Posted 26 September 2008 - 06:47 PM

QUOTE (Nomad91 @ Sep 26 2008, 18:24)
I'm just worried because they say the PC Version can have more cars and peds on screen, which might bog down older CPUs like mine. confused.gif

I think it will be fine...If for example the CPU was lets make this funny...

If it was An Intel P3 1.6 as minimum biggrin.gif and it couldn't load most of the characters cars etc...They wouldn't released it on those specs... I'll just say that if a Intel P1 "CONSOLE" powered CPU can load everything, I think we can atleast double it

MISTO
  • MISTO

Fries eater

• Members

Posted 26 September 2008 - 06:49 PM

The replay editor seems pretty cool.

¤FireStyle¤
  • ¤FireStyle¤

Prankster

• Members

Posted 26 September 2008 - 07:39 PM

QUOTE (CharmingCharlie @ Sep 26 2008, 18:23)

Sounds to me as if Rockstar is only giving the mouse and keyboard lip service again suicidal.gif Despite the fact nearly 70% of PC gamers want to play this game with the mouse and keyboard. They really need to get this sorted, there is no reason why GTA 4 cannot be perfectly controlled with a mouse and keyboard.

Tru...but it could also just mean that the bloke playing the game wasn't accustomed to using a mouse and kbrd. That would explain why it felt "less comfortable" for him !!!

As long as the controls are similar to those in previous gta games PC gamers should have no probs using the mouse+kbrd control scheme !

GTA_XP
  • GTA_XP

Homie

• BUSTED!

Posted 26 September 2008 - 07:49 PM

A question, is this real? I haven't seen the articles from R* who have announced this.

CharmingCharlie
  • CharmingCharlie

Proud PC Gamer

• Members

Posted 26 September 2008 - 08:16 PM

It is real I had a quick peak at the scans and they are legit, if it wasn't real I would have locked it tounge.gif

GTA_XP
  • GTA_XP

Homie

• BUSTED!

Posted 26 September 2008 - 08:19 PM

QUOTE (CharmingCharlie @ Sep 26 2008, 20:16)
It is real I had a quick peak at the scans and they are legit, if it wasn't real I would have locked it tounge.gif

Ok, thank you for the reply smile.gif

free_to_view
  • free_to_view

GTA BOSS OF ALL BOSSES AND PC GAMER

• Members

Posted 26 September 2008 - 08:26 PM

QUOTE (Budd @ Sep 26 2008, 18:04)
5. According to the editor, playing with the mouse and keyboard is less comfortable than using a pad. "The default key force the player at times to piano player virtuosity and the possibility to freely move the camera with the mouse removes the automatic return to the default rear car view. This means that you have to move the mouse constantly in order to find the best point of view". Maybe both of these things still have to be improved. Removed links to the scans, please no scans or linking to scans

I think this is because of the shooting AIM when your driving, you can shoot and drive at the same time and the aimming is controlled via the mouse

DML
  • DML

PC Gamer

• Members

Posted 26 September 2008 - 08:26 PM Edited by DML, 26 September 2008 - 08:29 PM.

QUOTE (Budd @ Sep 27 2008, 04:04)
4. The game was played using an X-Box 360 pad and three different missions were played (missions that were almost at the 50% of the storyline). The experience was the same as the console version.

Think about this also: it's not hard to believe that one of the conditions of them getting a hands-on demo was that they needed to promote this controller (in accordance with Microsoft's plan to turn PCs into consoles).

Unless Rockstar wants to lose the crown for being the king of this type of game, then they'd better get it to the level of control available in GTA: San Andreas. Anything less, and they've f*cked up. Plain, pure and simple.

¤FireStyle¤
  • ¤FireStyle¤

Prankster

• Members

Posted 26 September 2008 - 08:42 PM

QUOTE (free_to_view @ Sep 26 2008, 20:26)
QUOTE (Budd @ Sep 26 2008, 18:04)
5. According to the editor, playing with the mouse and keyboard is less comfortable than using a pad. "The default key force the player at times to piano player virtuosity and the possibility to freely move the camera with the mouse removes the automatic return to the default rear car view. This means that you have to move the mouse constantly in order to find the best point of view". Maybe both of these things still have to be improved. Removed links to the scans, please no scans or linking to scans

I think this is because of the shooting AIM when your driving, you can shoot and drive at the same time and the aimming is controlled via the mouse

Actually that sounds quite simple to me....I can't imagine that scheme being too difficult !

But I guess we'll see come this november !!

GTA_XP
  • GTA_XP

Homie

• BUSTED!

Posted 26 September 2008 - 09:00 PM

I hope there is a improved vehicle-aiming view.
In SA when you use the cheat for vehicle-aiming, the mouse will get f*cked up at every seconde.
So its impossible to shoot from the vehicle and destroy the target sad.gif

spudz47
  • spudz47

Snitch

• Members

Posted 26 September 2008 - 09:07 PM

Still absolutely nothing about solid minimum system requirements.
I'm starting to lose patience. WHEN, DAMMIT, WHEN WILL YOU SAY WILL THE GAME RUN?!

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 26 September 2008 - 09:18 PM

cool....some new bits finally. cool.gif

the mouse keyboard piece has me a bit confused. i never use my mouse when driving so i hope it doesn't effect me. it also sounds like something that is easy to fix by the rockstar bunch. i just hope their play testers are PC people and not their console testers just making sure the game doesn't crash.

EntropicLqd
  • EntropicLqd

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 26 September 2008 - 09:57 PM

QUOTE (tripmills @ Sep 26 2008, 21:18)
....i never use my mouse when driving so i hope it doesn't effect me....

Weird. In GTA-SA I always use my mouse to look around when I'm driving.

I went back and played through Vice City recently and the most annoying thing about the game was that you couldn't control the camera while driving.

W1ckeD-
  • W1ckeD-

You know how it is.

• Members
  • None
  • Topic of the Year 2010 "Where is the blue?"

Posted 26 September 2008 - 10:14 PM

QUOTE (EntropicLqd @ Sep 26 2008, 21:57)
QUOTE (tripmills @ Sep 26 2008, 21:18)
....i never use my mouse when driving so i hope it doesn't effect me....

Weird. In GTA-SA I always use my mouse to look around when I'm driving.

I went back and played through Vice City recently and the most annoying thing about the game was that you couldn't control the camera while driving.

Same for me, in SA I always use the mouse while driving, you can look around an act faster on different kind of situations.

I can't wait to shoot with a Uzi out of my Super GT with the mouse. ^^

jjcoolj91
  • jjcoolj91

"Snipin's a good job mate...Challenging Work."

• Members

Posted 26 September 2008 - 10:58 PM

Could you at least crop the main screens from the mag as If there is nothing to look at, this topic becomes nothing really eyecatching whatsthat.gif .

GTA3Freak-2001
  • GTA3Freak-2001

Run out of Cake.

• Members

Posted 27 September 2008 - 12:52 AM

In regards to the controls, it sounds the same as San Andreas and that to me was great, specifically being able to have your left hand on WASD and your right hand on the mouse when driving. I guess its personal preference.

Sounds good the rest of it, a replay feature that's more then just a replay shown ingame. Something that lets the average joe put together a video from ingame footage complete with music from the game. That's an improvement! As for the reduction of the "car spawning annoyances", well I'll believe that when I see it but I am hopeful given that we now have a GTA on its own game engine. As in Rockstar has made RAGE flexible enough to make use of the extra processor speeds of a PC.

Th3 ProphetMan
  • Th3 ProphetMan

Thug

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 September 2008 - 03:09 AM

I have always played gta games with the cursor keys to drive and with WASD to walk (strange i know) and it's all good for me, however when i bought a gamepad last year i started using it and now i like to drive with it and walk/run with WASD

About the camera, maybe the controls are unfinished still, because it should be at least like in San Andreas, being that you can move the camera with the mouse but when you leave the mouse alone the camera goes back to its default position.

However since i haven't played GTAIV, i dont know if the way you aim with pistols through the windows makes camera control any different.

R* should release a video or something showing the pc stuff not just screenshot, since they are not making so much of a comparable difference anyway smile.gif

if at least they would have prepared some side to side comparisons for the screenshots that would be something though..

MISTO
  • MISTO

Fries eater

• Members

Posted 27 September 2008 - 08:14 AM

All the pc previews were played on a joypad. How frustrating bored.gif

simkas
  • simkas

That guy

• Members

Posted 27 September 2008 - 09:54 AM

GTA needed something like that replay editor for a long time. It's f*cking great they're gonna put that in.

thaCURSEDpie
  • thaCURSEDpie

GTA:IV scripter

• Members

Posted 27 September 2008 - 12:32 PM

I don't want a replay feature, I want to be able to record demos! (like in TF2/CS). That's wayyy better and doesn't impact performance.

jaak170
  • jaak170

Nivoo

• Members

Posted 30 September 2008 - 12:44 PM

Doesn't that make you feel all warm and fuzzy on the inside PC gamers biggrin.gif for the record this was a MASSIVE problem on the console version. You would see entire streets filled with exactly the same car you were driving and I absolutely HATED it.

LOL, I wonder what those console fanboys are going to say now. Cell was supposed to be the best processor in the Universe lol.gif

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 30 September 2008 - 12:59 PM

QUOTE (MISTO @ Sep 27 2008, 10:14)
All the pc previews were played on a joypad. How frustrating bored.gif

GTA IV controls on PS3 felt VERY k&m unfriendly (IMO). I hope they will work on this.

GTA_XP
  • GTA_XP

Homie

• BUSTED!

Posted 30 September 2008 - 01:17 PM

Fuuck!!! Why in godsname a joypad?!?!?!?!?!??!?!
How frustrationg can it be?!?!
Only one GTA have a improvement, SA, with de best cam ever in the world!!

But yeah, like someone already said, they must publice the gameplay pc video.
Only just pics is not so trusting.
Maybe they grab the pic from a console and using paint and write the "PC" on the rightbottom corner suicidal.gif

Dhatz
  • Dhatz

editor of GTA.CZ/GTA4

• Members

Posted 04 October 2008 - 12:55 PM

the point 5 is the same in Mercenaries 2 and you get used to it. but there is an awfully fast camera reset when you reverse or change to forward,hope the ressetor won't be that cruel or adjustable(i WOULD mind if it was absent).

$3@N
  • $3@N

WERZ DA DAM PATCHZ

• Members

Posted 07 October 2008 - 11:11 AM

Hence the reason i played GTA:SA on PS2 once through, PC twice, first with Gamepad then with Keyboard and mouse.

Only time the KB/M played up with me on SA PC was with the vehicle controls, because the PS2 analouge touch senseitive buttons and stick make it easier to control the vehicles.

KM/M is much better for On foot but is not worth using in cars, i suggest you use kb/m for foot and gamepad for driving.

GTA4 will be pretty much the same according to the mag.

C14
  • C14

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 October 2008 - 11:52 AM

Glad Rockstar aren't afraid to make use of superior pc's, some other companies seem to like making all version exactly the same and basically bringing down the quality to make it work on consoles. Yeah, still bitter about Oblivion =p

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users