BUYG: Build Up Your Gang IV

2,323 replies to this topic
Maverick24
  • Maverick24

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 27 October 2010 - 06:29 PM

QUOTE (AceRay @ Oct 27 2010, 08:21)
hey guys, its me. Chapter 2 is underway, its nearly finished, but I have a question. I've earned $35 right? well, can I spend $15 of my $35 on a pool cue and a knife? I know I haven't written 5 stories yet, but I'm not spending anyone else money. I'm also not a fan of baseball bats.

[staff hat on the ground]Go for it.[/pick staff hat back up]

AceRay
  • AceRay

In my restless dreams, I see that town...

• Members

Posted 30 October 2010 - 12:56 AM

Is it too unrealistic for there to be a shoot out on top of the Rotterdam tower? I might incorporate it in Chapter 5 (3 and 4 are planned already!)

Maverick24
  • Maverick24

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 30 October 2010 - 10:30 AM

QUOTE (AceRay @ Oct 30 2010, 00:56)
Is it too unrealistic for there to be a shoot out on top of the Rotterdam tower? I might incorporate it in Chapter 5 (3 and 4 are planned already!)

Decide this for yourself.
How important is realism in the world you are crafting and with the audience you are attempting to reach?
Even if unrealistic, can it add sufficient value and/or excitement as to be worthy to the story?
Developing the ability to understand these implications is important in a writer, and easily as important as the use of language and correct spelling. Good to see you are continuing eagerly. Planning ahead is very good, I hope it leads to a smooth narrative and interesting storyline.

aragond
  • aragond

We are the Aragond. We will bury you.

• Members
  • None

Posted 31 October 2010 - 02:41 PM

QUOTE (AceRay @ Oct 27 2010, 18:21)
hey guys, its me. Chapter 2 is underway, its nearly finished, but I have a question. I've earned $35 right? well, can I spend $15 of my $35 on a pool cue and a knife? I know I haven't written 5 stories yet, but I'm not spending anyone else money. I'm also not a fan of baseball bats.

C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S ACERAY

You just posted the 2,000th BUYG IV post.

yungmoney
  • yungmoney

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 02 November 2010 - 09:05 PM

can i be in the M.O.B.

AceRay
  • AceRay

• Members

Posted 05 November 2010 - 05:09 AM

yay! 2000th post! i feel so privileged.
anyway, yungmoney, you need to make a story. then you get in.

aragond
  • aragond

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 November 2010 - 12:19 PM

QUOTE (AceRay @ Nov 5 2010, 15:09)

Uuuuuuuuuuuuuum.... funny story.... y'see, Aragond can't, apparently, DO MATH! blush.gif blush.gif blush.gif

( In his haste, his excitement, his attempt to boost circulation with a massive banner headline, he forgot that the 2000th message is actually the last one on the HUNDREDTH page, not the 99th page. Dinkus! facedesk.gif )

Sorry Aceray. But you DID post the 1980th post!
confused.gif confused.gif

Mati
  • Mati

f*ck the planet till it spins on a broken axis

• BUSTED!

Posted 08 November 2010 - 04:07 PM

Its kind a dumb question, does anyone know what the best story of this topic is?

Maverick24
  • Maverick24

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 08 November 2010 - 11:38 PM

QUOTE (mati1501 @ Nov 8 2010, 16:07)
Its kind a dumb question, does anyone know what the best story of this topic is?

Take your pick from this list.

More seriously, that is an entirely subjective criteria: "the best story". I would rate Aragond's as some of the best, but I've not taken the full time to read through every single page and every single story on this board. I'd like to think people would rate my Irish mob series amongst the best; but I doubt you would be able to do better than draw a short-list of "better" stories, not should you be in any right to do otherwise.

Why do you ask? Hoping to steal someones ideas?

QUOTE (aragond @ Nov 8 2010, 12:19)
QUOTE (AceRay @ Nov 5 2010, 15:09)

Uuuuuuuuuuuuuum.... funny story.... y'see, Aragond can't, apparently, DO MATH! blush.gif blush.gif blush.gif

( In his haste, his excitement, his attempt to boost circulation with a massive banner headline, he forgot that the 2000th message is actually the last one on the HUNDREDTH page, not the 99th page. Dinkus! facedesk.gif )

Sorry Aceray. But you DID post the 1980th post!
confused.gif confused.gif

I was wondering if you knew something I didn't; given that the GTA IV forum page said that this thread has approx. 1980 posts.

No need to count pages and do such hard maths (99 x 20 = ?), Aragond. The answer you seek is clearly found HERE.

Tyla
  • Tyla

Vice Cat

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 09 November 2010 - 03:34 PM

The best stories are the ones you enjoy writing. If you get enjoyment out of writing your pieces then that is a greater achievement than any best story accolade and a gold star for your efforts.

Does anybody have any suggestions for what first name I could give Mr. McReary? I can't seem to come up with anything that has a good ring to it confused.gif

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 09 November 2010 - 04:46 PM

How about Aodh (means fire), Cathal (strong in battle) or Niall?

AceRay
  • AceRay

• Members

Posted 09 November 2010 - 07:51 PM

Jonathon
Barry
Lance
Charlie
Scott

Do you like them?

Mati
  • Mati

f*ck the planet till it spins on a broken axis

• BUSTED!

Posted 11 November 2010 - 08:02 PM

Yeah. I read some of them.
@Maverick: No, of course I won't steal ideas. I just want to read some cool stories thats all.

Tyla
  • Tyla

Vice Cat

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 13 November 2010 - 05:09 AM

QUOTE (Tycek)
How about Aodh (means fire), Cathal (strong in battle) or Niall?

QUOTE (AceRay)
Jonathon
Barry
Lance
Charlie
Scott

Do you like them?

Thanks for the suggestions lads. I might use some of them when I move my stories to Ireland.

QUOTE (mati1501)
No, of course I won't steal ideas. I just want to read some cool stories thats all.

Check out Big_Mitch_Baker's AOD stories if you can find them. They were pretty good.

AceRay
  • AceRay

• Members

Posted 14 November 2010 - 06:25 AM

cool. can't wait to read it. oh yeah, a good name is also Denis.

My one? well, I've only got one more exam to go,so I can do more work on it. Its been a bit of a pain though. It took about 5 hours to write 5 pages and the following 4 weeks to write 1! writing the chase scene has been a real b!tch. thankfully, it will probably be finished in the next 3 weeks. Sorry for the delays guys, I'm super sorry!

Osric
  • Osric

In The Name Of The Moon

• Members

Posted 16 November 2010 - 11:17 PM Edited by Osric, 16 November 2010 - 11:19 PM.

I'm thinking of rejoining this, but the problem is that most of the good gangs are full. Maybe we can add the Ancelottis and BOGT weapons and vehicles?

Now, in the SA BUYG, you can create gangs after you've posted so many stories, and if they're approved by the BUYG Staff. Maybe we could do something like that?

We could also make law enforcement playable.

Tyla
  • Tyla

Vice Cat

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 16 November 2010 - 11:37 PM

I'm pretty sure you will be able to take a spot within any gang if you really want it mate, staff approval permitting of course. Due to a proposed clean out and many members not participating within the game for a long time I'm sure you will be able to get a spot within the gang of your choice because of the many people that would be given the shove.

Ancelottis, Lupisellas and Messinas, plus the weapons and all that would be a nice addition in the next update, especially if Maverick's proposals are put into action.

Concerning the create your own gang idea, I'm swayed on my opinions. In one breath it could be totally stupid and people could end up creating totally ludicrous organizations but in another the ten stories required to create one could help boost activity and participation, aswell as attracting new people because of the freedom of creating your own gang. What are everybody else's thoughts?

Thought of a name for Mr. McReary by the way. I'm gonna call him Jack "Big Jack" "Jacko" McReary. Spare me the connections to the deceased superstar please tounge2.gif

AceRay
  • AceRay

• Members

Posted 17 November 2010 - 07:09 AM

whats called the clothes that Col Augustus Autumn wears in Fallout 3? its a pretty badass jacket, I'd like for a major character to wear it.

Jack Mcreary? I thought about Jackson Mcreary, sounds good.

making your own gangs? nah, could get a little silly, with some noob whose made 10 crappy stories making a gang called The Nazis or The Tele-Tubbies Family. or something stupid.

are all our stories going to get cleaned out? that would truly suck.

aragond
  • aragond

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 November 2010 - 12:31 PM Edited by aragond, 18 November 2010 - 12:34 PM.

QUOTE (AceRay @ Nov 17 2010, 17:09)
are all our stories going to get cleaned out? that would truly suck.

Nope.
That is not the intent. Stories will remain, but deceased players will be purged from the front page from the gangs they belonged to. And Maverick has already had a pretty good crack at defining who fits the deceased category.

It does mean that story counts, however, would be lost for those cleaned out. Though, I think an honour roll is quite in order for those that trully added to the story catalogue.

Now, following on from an earlier thread about what we considered the best stories, I would have trouble picking from a few authors, Maverick and Mitch certainly being amongst them. I'm actually astounded that there's so many people with such good writing skills around.

However one guy that is probably overlooked that I wish to bring attention to is a guy who posted only three stories in mid-to-late 2008, and a couple of other posts and then, *poof*, he was ne'er heard from again. His sign-on was Bill2451, and when I was first starting out, his stories had my eyes agog. And he was one of the first (or THE?) to score $48 for a story. Check it out. I'm not saying it's the very best, but it's in the mix of my top stories.

EDIT: Huh. I can only find ONE of Bill's stories. Perhaps he only wrote one.

AceRay
  • AceRay

• Members

Posted 19 November 2010 - 06:29 AM

what was it about? (2000th post/1999th reply!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Osric
  • Osric

In The Name Of The Moon

• Members

Posted 20 November 2010 - 05:59 PM Edited by Osric, 20 November 2010 - 07:16 PM.

So, have the old slots been cleaned?

And can we add new gangs and law enforcement? (Sorry if I am getting annoying, I'm just anxious)

New Gangs

Ancelotti Family (You knew this was coming)
Lupisella Family
Messina Family
North Dominican Drug Dealers

Law Enforcement

Liberty City Police Department
Alderney State Police
FIB
NOOSE/U.S. Military
CIA (AKA United Liberty Paper, I know they don't say that UL Paper is CIA, but they are a secret government conspiracy, so CIA or some equivalent could work)

Also, yay! 2000th Post! (Well, technically 2001st Post, but still!)

Tyla
  • Tyla

Vice Cat

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 21 November 2010 - 03:08 AM

Just write a story.

Here's a link to the list of people that are getting cleaned out in it's entirety. There is pretty much a slot going free with all of the gangs, so get writing so you can claim your place.

The slot doesn't have to be free on the board, go by the list I've linked you to.

Osric
  • Osric

In The Name Of The Moon

• Members

Posted 21 November 2010 - 04:16 AM

Thanks, I think I'll join the Petrovic Bratva. Sorry if I got too annoying.

Tyla
  • Tyla

Vice Cat

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 21 November 2010 - 05:12 AM

Don't worry about it mate. Staff will sort you out soon. I'm sure when aragond or Maverick get some free time they'll fix things up.

In the meantime, if staff are willing to consider the new gangs, here's some tablework with assets that I think are fitting;

Ancelotti Family
LocationPropertyGang MemberStory Count
Algonquin
Waste Management Plant
---
---
Alderney
Fruit Markets
---
---
Alderney
Sprunk Factory
---
---
WeaponsBaseball Bat, Pistol
VehiclesAdmiral, Cognoscenti
Money$1,000
Assets---
Drug Facilities---
Drugs---

Lupisella Family
Bohan
South Bohan Docks
---
---
Bohan
Whiskers Club
---
---
Bohan
Construction Site
---
---
VehiclesPrimo, Presidente
Money$1,000
Assets---
Drug Facilities---
Drugs---

Messina Family
Dukes
Pillows Club
---
---
Algonquin
Opium Nights
---
---
Algonquin
Liberty Transport Authority
---
---
VehiclesSentinel, Cavalcade FXT
Money$1,000
Assets---
Drug Facilities---
Drugs---

CODE
[tableb]
[th]Ancelotti Family[/th]
[tr]
[th]Location[/th]
[th]Property[/th]
[th]Gang Member[/th]
[th]Story Count[/th]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Algonquin[/td]
[td][center]Waste Management Plant[/center][/td]
[td]---[/td]
[td][center]---[/center][/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Alderney[/td]
[td][center]Fruit Markets[/center][/td]
[td]---[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Alderney[/td]
[td][center]Sprunk Factory[/center][/td]
[td]---[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[th]Weapons[/th]
[th]Baseball Bat, Pistol[/th]
[/tr]
[tr]
[th]Vehicles[/th]
[th]Admiral, [B]Cognoscenti[/B][/th]
[/tr]
[tr]
[th]Money[/th]
[th]$1,000[/th]
[/tr]
[tr]
[th]Assets[/th]
[th]---[/th]
[/tr]
[tr]
[th]Drug Facilities[/th]
[th]---[/th]
[/tr]
[tr]
[th]Drugs[/th]
[th]---[/th]
[/tr]
[/tableb]

[tableb]
[th]Lupisella Family[/th]
[tr]
[th]Location[/th]
[th]Property[/th]
[th]Gang Member[/th]
[th]Story Count[/th]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Bohan[/td]
[td][center]South Bohan Docks[/center][/td]
[td]---[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Bohan[/td]
[td][center]Whiskers Club[/center][/td]
[td]---[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Bohan[/td]
[td][center]Construction Site[/center][/td]
[td]---[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[th]Weapons[/th]
[/tr]
[tr]
[th]Vehicles[/th]
[th]Primo, [B]Presidente[/B][/th]
[/tr]
[tr]
[th]Money[/th]
[th]$1,000[/th]
[/tr]
[tr]
[th]Assets[/th]
[th]---[/th]
[/tr]
[tr]
[th]Drug Facilities[/th]
[th]---[/th]
[/tr]
[tr]
[th]Drugs[/th]
[th]---[/th]
[/tr]
[/tableb]

[tableb]
[th]Messina Family[/th]
[tr]
[th]Location[/th]
[th]Property[/th]
[th]Gang Member[/th]
[th]Story Count[/th]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Dukes[/td]
[td][center]Pillows Club[/center][/td]
[td]---[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Algonquin[/td]
[td][center]Opium Nights[/center][/td]
[td]---[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Algonquin[/td]
[td][center]Liberty Transport Authority[/center][/td]
[td]---[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[th]Weapons[/th]
[/tr]
[tr]
[th]Vehicles[/th]
[th]Sentinel, [B]Cavalcade FXT[/B][/th]
[/tr]
[tr]
[th]Money[/th]
[th]$1,000[/th]
[/tr]
[tr]
[th]Assets[/th]
[th]---[/th]
[/tr]
[tr]
[th]Drug Facilities[/th]
[th]---[/th]
[/tr]
[tr]
[th]Drugs[/th]
[th]---[/th]
[/tr]
[/tableb]

Thoughts? Suggestions??

gtaterorist101
  • gtaterorist101

vok julle almal!haha

• Members

Posted 21 November 2010 - 06:01 AM

how do i join this?????????

Tyla
  • Tyla

Vice Cat

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 21 November 2010 - 06:04 AM

QUOTE (gtaterorist101 @ Nov 21 2010, 07:01)
how do i join this?????????

Pick a gang, write a story, and that's about it.

Osric
  • Osric

In The Name Of The Moon

• Members

Posted 21 November 2010 - 03:41 PM Edited by Osric, 21 November 2010 - 04:14 PM.

Okay, here's my first story in almost a year. May not be the best, but it's a start....

Also, for those who don't know, Da is Russian for yes. No, I don't know Russian, just how to say yes and no.

Finally, I'd like to buy an Assault Rifle for the Petrovic Bratva.

The Petrovic Bratva
Comrades Bar

Chapter I: In The Beginning....

It was a cold day in Liberty City, and an icy, piercing wind blew over the streets of Broker. The poor immigrants struggled to survive in Broker, while the street gangs did their nine-to-five thing: dealing drugs, stealing goods, killing innocent people, and selling their little sisters for ten bucks. Things suck here in Broker, especially for us Russians. The Cold War's been over for almost twenty years, but the locals still look down on us. Even other immigrants and ethnic minorities don't trust us, simply because of a failed communist regime that's been dead for two decades.

My name is Yuri, I'm a 23-year old associate of the Petrovic Bratva, and this is my story.

I was sitting in Comrades Bar, a dingy old dive in Hove Beach, the immigrant district of Broker. My boss, Mr. Tambov, was sitting in his office at the backroom of the bar. I was just sitting at the bar, drinking some soda. I never drank hard liquor, and rarely ever had beer. I've had a glass of red wine with Sunday dinner every once in a while, but that was really it. I really hated the associations between Russians and alcoholism, and I never liked the bitter, burning taste of alcohol anyway. I preferred the clean, crisp, lemony taste of my soda.

That, and in my line of work, you never want to be drunk. If you're a gangster in the largest Russian Mafia syndicate in America, you have to keep your wits about you. Never let your guard down. Especially in Liberty City. If you fall there, nobody will catch you.

Grigor, the bouncer and one of my fellow associates, walked up to me. Grigor was a tall man, in his late twenties, and he was very imposing and menacing-looking. Yet, if you were his friend, he was one of the nicest people to hang out with.

He came up to me and said "Yuri, Mr. Tambov wants to talk with you. He says he needs you."

I got up, and followed Grigor to the office. It was a nice, clean office, especially in comparison to the dark, dusty barroom in Comrades. At the desk was my boss, Boris Tambov, a lieutenant of the Petrovic Bratva. He was a well-dressed and relatively eloquent man, wearing a suit and tie, and he was talking on the phone.

"Yes, Mr. Petrovic. I understand. Don't worry, I'll send some of my associates on it."

He finally went off the phone, and hung up. He turned to me....

"Ah, Yuri! How are you doing?"

"Fine, Mr. Tambov. You said you needed me?"

"Da, comrade. I was just on the phone with Mr. Petrovic, that's right, the Pakhan himself. He said that a street gang called M.O.B is causing trouble in Broker, dealing drugs all over the borough. Normally, we don't care if they sell a joint here or there. Hell, we can't stop those damn Albanian gangsters from making meth and pushing heroin here in Hove Beach, even though we want to. But this is different. Kenny Petrovic's nephew, Hank Petrovic, was critically injured in a drive-by. We know that M.O.B gangbangers were involved."

I was shocked.

"How is Hank doing? Is he even still alive?"

Mr. Tambov continued...

"He's in the hospital, staying in intensive care. He'll make a full recovery as it was only soft tissue wounds, but the fact that those gangbangers would shoot a civilian is disgusting. Hank was never involved with our business, and he was just walking down Firefly Projects when he was gunned down. When Lenny Petrovic was killed, that was one thing, he was being groomed to be the next Pakhan, but Hank's just an innocent college kid. He's just trying to get his teaching degree. I want you and Grigor to meet up with my buddy Andrei. We're going to give the M.O.B leader a message. Their leader's name is Josh Moore, and he, and all of his gangbanger buddies are attending his brother's funeral. His brother was murdered by the North Holland Hustlers, and now we can use his funeral as an opportunity to kill Moore. If you guys can, maybe you could even pop some of their soldiers. Just don't kill any women or children, I don't think they'll be wearing the gang colors, so you should be fine. Keep your trigger on Moore, and any of his bodyguards. Andrei has some guns, all of them stolen so they can't be traced to you."

I gulped. This would be my first hit. And it would be one hell of a hit.

Maverick24
  • Maverick24

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 21 November 2010 - 07:43 PM

I would be happy to include new gangs. Tyla, thanks for drawing up some suitable slots. As for the Law Enforcement, I reckon a single gang called "The Law" would suffice. Breaking it down to various groups adds nothing. Ttoo much is often the more common evil than too little.

I will enact a slots purge by the end of the month! I've been sitting on this one for too long and need to shift my arse into gear.
Consider this the first step towards rebranding GTA IV BUYG in a new flavour. Can I please ask people for feedback on my thoughts from a previous post?

AceRay
  • AceRay

• Members

Posted 22 November 2010 - 12:08 AM

I agree entirely

gtaterorist101
  • gtaterorist101

vok julle almal!haha

• Members

Posted 22 November 2010 - 09:08 AM

i wana join the irish mob

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users