Quantcast

» «
Photo

Signature Sizes

21 replies to this topic

Poll: Obviously this would be down to staff but would you like to see an increase in size (102 member(s) have cast votes)

Obviously this would be down to staff but would you like to see an increase in size

1. Yes Please, I would like to see the file size allowed increased (55 votes [55.00%])

Percentage of vote: 55.00%

2. No Thanks, I like them just they way they are (29 votes [29.00%])

Percentage of vote: 29.00%

3. Definitely not, reduce the limits if anything (16 votes [16.00%])

Percentage of vote: 16.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote
Crokey
  • Crokey

Builders Like Erections

• Zaibatsu
  • Belize

Posted 09 September 2008 - 08:15 PM

OK, this isn't a JOO MUST DO AS I TELLZ YOU!! post, it's just a little suggestion, which I'm opening up for discussion and to see what's people's opinions are on the matter.

As technology is getting much better since the forums began, as in various paint programs and bandwidth size is increasing. Some folk around here have already mentioned that they'd like to see the file size increased, not so much the physical size as there is nothing worse than a forum with sigs that are 1000px's high.

Now I understand that not everyone has Broadband so larger sizes might slow them down, but there is an option to disable viewing avatars and sigs in your profile. I also understand that currently BBCode isn't allowing the addition of images, because of some jealous Russian, but when this is sorted (when ever that may be), it's just a little something I would like to see altered.

I would suggest a size of around 120kb, a 40kb increase, this doesn't sound much but it really can make a difference.

So I'm opening this up for discussion of course the Admins rule is Final, after all this is a Democracy

CCPD
  • CCPD

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 September 2008 - 09:13 PM

Id prefer the dimension size to stay as its now, but I guess the file size could be increased a bit.

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 09 September 2008 - 09:42 PM

... I've seen members circumvent the sig size rules. However, this is probably by using the same exploit that has recently led to the removal of all images whatsoever.

Anyhow, I'd venture to say that doubling the current filesize will allow for some fun new stuff without adversely affecting the majority of users. I visit GTAF from a multitude of locations, and if everyone was using animated GIF nightmares for their signatures, half the computers I use would sh*t their digital pantaloons.

So the limits do come in handy.

Kaj.
  • Kaj.

Shift Happens.

• The Connection

Posted 09 September 2008 - 10:03 PM

QUOTE (Gareth Croke @ Sep 9 2008, 15:15)
...after all this is a Democracy

ph34r.gif

Seriously though, a slightly higher filesize limit wouldn't be a terrible idea. I'd say the ratio of high speed to dial up would be in favour of high speed.

Mercie
  • Mercie

• Feroci Racing

Posted 09 September 2008 - 11:15 PM

Devils advocate here:

120kb x 20 posts per page (default) = 2.34375mb for signatures alone. Granted, that's the highest possible and will never be reached, but one-two megabytes for a page worth of often ugly images? Some people have taste and I would love to see that catered to, but some of these things made in MSPaint with a screenshot distorted to fit shouldnt be allowed to take more than a split second to load.

Perhaps something can be done to individually bump that limit up... Im just saying that because as it stands, many of the staff dont like signatures from the get-go. Hell, of the 15 moderators, only 7 use images in their sigs. Five, including me, have nothing at all.

I dunno. Maybe if more people put art and other cool things in their sigs it would happen. But with so much plain old sh*t out there (I edit some sigs to remove flashing, abnoxious images) I doubt itll happen.

The above is scattered. Nutshell: I doubt it. It would do well on an individual basis. That probably wouldnt happen until V2 is done and V3 is started. I like awesome signatures. Signatures should be disabled by default and enabled for people who have something nice.

Cheers if anyone can figure out what I was saying there.

Kaj.
  • Kaj.

Shift Happens.

• The Connection

Posted 10 September 2008 - 12:04 AM

I don't think 40kb is going to make the current ugly sigs even uglier, Riley. tounge.gif

TheRoper
  • TheRoper

West Coast

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 10 September 2008 - 02:53 AM

Yeah I'm in the "keep dimensions the same, but bump up file size" boat. I feel where you're coming from Mercie, with the whole obnoxious/flashy angle (though TBH I rarely ever see animated sigs); but I've made non-animated sigs that were even under the maximum dimensions, and they were still over the file size limit. 80kb is pretty small, IMO.

Not that I think this is top-priority at the moment, seeing as how technically the current file size limit is 0kb. tounge.gif

Girish
  • Girish

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 10 September 2008 - 03:20 AM

QUOTE (Gareth Croke @ Sep 10 2008, 01:45)
I would suggest a size of around 120kb, a 40kb increase, this doesn't sound much but it really can make a difference.

I agree with this. Although it doesn't sound like an immediate necessity, it can be very easily done. I had too compress my sig to fit three images in it; CCPD managed it so I never really felt the need for the sig size to be increased. I have voted yes because it seems that's what the majority wants and I wouldn't mind a small increase either.

crazymodder
  • crazymodder

Do Ya Thang

• BUSTED!

Posted 10 September 2008 - 04:05 AM

do not decrease the signature size limit. dont do that!

Vanillainy
  • Vanillainy

Fancy Clown.

• Zaibatsu

Posted 10 September 2008 - 12:30 PM

QUOTE (crazymodder @ Sep 10 2008, 05:05)
do not decrease the signature size limit. dont do that!

What crazymodder says goes!

Although I would like to see an increase in filesize for signatures, maybe even only to 100kb. I usually will only have a transparent logo or sig for a game/music in my sig, and even that can go over 80kb which is annoying since you have to resize the image and it can loose the quality or make it harder to see what it is.

Or if it stayed the same, I wouldn't be too bothered. I've lived with it for 3 years.

Flesh-n-Bone
  • Flesh-n-Bone

OG

• Members

Posted 10 September 2008 - 01:49 PM

I would like to see the pixels limit increasing because I feel 500x150 is a little too small (IMO). I've been to other forums where it's 500x200 although the size limit is only 30 kb there, but here don't do anything to the size (kb's) limit. I would only like to see pixels increasing and I wouldn't mind about the size though.

gamesguru
  • gamesguru

Gone Fishing

• Angels of Death MC
  • England
  • Best Writer 2010

Posted 10 September 2008 - 09:50 PM

It would be nice, but nothing drastic; usually I find myself wanted an extra 10 pixels in height at the worst. Although there was a conversation in Network Support about how avatar sizes need to be increased; which I guess is completely a logical step to take.

makeshyft
  • makeshyft

Cyclop have 9 years

• The Precinct

Posted 11 September 2008 - 12:17 PM

QUOTE (Flesh-n-Bone @ Sep 10 2008, 23:49)
I would like to see the pixels limit increasing because I feel 500x150 is a little too small (IMO).

Really? 500x150 is a veritable billboard. If any dimensions should be increased, let it be the avatar dimensions.

Anyway, I'm neither here nor there on filesizes. Glad to see some of the more obnoxious signatures are being edited out, too.

Mark
  • Mark

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 11 September 2008 - 03:29 PM

I'm sure a number of you have been on a large variety of websites so it won't be shock horror for you, but there are sites out there that have no size rules at all....so what do some people do? Take the piss and make their signature cover about 2 whole pages of forum space. It's especially annoying when the post itself is only a one-liner. Sure, we'll never be that lenient, but 500x150 is enough space to tell us about your special little fan-site nobody can be arsed to look at.

I don't know about you, but I'm here to read posts, not read signatures. I'd turn signatures off if it wasn't in my interest to disable those that are too large.

dxk
  • dxk

The Boss...

• Members

Posted 11 September 2008 - 04:56 PM

Increasing file size is good icon14.gif , I also like the idea of decreasing pixel size. ph34r.gif

Pat
  • Pat

• The Connection

Posted 11 September 2008 - 05:19 PM

I don't see why people think it would be a good idea to have signatures bigger than 500x150. Hell, I've seen signatures that are 500x150 and I've had to check their profile to make sure the signature isn't oversized.

Decrease it, if anything.

dxk
  • dxk

The Boss...

• Members

Posted 12 September 2008 - 09:11 AM

reduction isn't bad, my Sig is 320*80 inlove.gif , still there's no need to reduce it.

Extra space contributes to better shadow and reflection effects. monocle.gif

xmen
  • xmen

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 12 September 2008 - 04:11 PM

i just want to increase the sig dimension wink.gif

crazymodder
  • crazymodder

Do Ya Thang

• BUSTED!

Posted 13 September 2008 - 07:21 AM

QUOTE (xmen @ Sep 13 2008, 00:11)
i just want to increase the sig dimension wink.gif

and the signature size. wink.gif

Ottae
  • Ottae

(/'ɒteɪ/)

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 13 September 2008 - 01:01 PM

I think the dimensions are fine, most people use less than the space anyway because any bigger just looks ugly.

I do agree with the filesize limit being increased, as mentioned before, the majority of people have broadband nowadays, if not, something better than 56k. If it's something like 150kb I'd be happy, but 200kb would be ideal methinks.

Grand Theft Auto Dude
  • Grand Theft Auto Dude

• Members

Posted 14 September 2008 - 12:52 AM

Filesize increase = Yes please.

It's really annoying to update my signature, and realise it's too big, so then I have to delete a bunch of frames. Increase it to the largest possible (And logical) amount.

YourNeighborhoodKiller
  • YourNeighborhoodKiller

Boss

• BUSTED!

Posted 14 September 2008 - 01:34 AM

Definitely. I can't seem to put anything useful in my signature without it telling me it's too big.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users