Photo

Can't Install Windows On New Rig

5 replies to this topic
kingvercetti
  • kingvercetti

Is this the real life?

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 02 September 2008 - 09:15 AM

So, long story short(ish), I put to my CPU, RAM, drives and GPU from a Dell into a new case, mobo and PSU. When I first turned it on, the fans spun up, then stopped, then came back on again and stayed on, it gave me some strange error saying something like "The previous setup of overclocking has failed, the default setup has been restored", in pretty poor Engrish. Now, the fans starting then going off and coming back on happens every time I turn off the PSU and turn it back on, but I don't get the error so I assumed everything was fine. I went into the BIOS, made sure it was seeing all my drives, which it was, changed the boot order, saved my settings and rebooted. The mobo beeped three times on boot, I thought it was an error but apparently, these MSI boards beep for every USB device connected. So, I popped in my Vista DVD, it goes through the normal "Windows is loading files bar", but then as soon as it gets to the graphical progress bar with the Microsoft copyright underneath it either freezes, or on one occasion bluescreened. I thought the disk might be damaged in some way, so I put an Ubuntu CD in, once again, it got to the graphical progress bar and locked up. I know someone who had the same issue as me on a similar mobo, and he suggested that I install Ubuntu on my first hard drive using the alternate CD, then mount my second hard drive in VMWare and use the Windows disc in that to install it, then once I'm in Windows format the Ubuntu drive, however I really don't wanna go through all the hassle of that if there's a simpler method.

Specs:
MSI Neo2-FR P35 (No idea which BIOS version)
Optairc SATA DVD Drive
2 Samsung 320GB SATA HDDs
Stock Q6600
3GB DDR/667 RAM (2x1GB, 1x512MB, tried reseating it and switching the sticks in each slot, no luck)

I've quadruple checked that everything is seated right, and I would assume the jumpers are correct because all 4 of the LEDs next to them are green.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 02 September 2008 - 11:20 AM Edited by Slamman, 02 September 2008 - 11:24 AM.

What Dell GPU is this? Graphics card? PCI-E?
I've not had that but a 2.4 cpu for a desktop went in the C640 laptop and worked for a short time, but it went completely batty the other day, so an incompatibilty did arise. What overclocking was done?....and to what?

kingvercetti
  • kingvercetti

Is this the real life?

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 02 September 2008 - 02:51 PM Edited by kingvercetti, 02 September 2008 - 06:55 PM.

It wasn't a Dell GPU, it's an OEM 8800GT (Fan is working, I've checked). The idea was to lose all the Dell branded parts (Mobo, Case, PSU), so I'd have room to upgrade.

And the CPU is a stable Core 2 Quad, I've had no problems at all when it was in the other PC, and as I said in the first post, it's stock, no overclocking at all.

Edit: My plan failed. I can't even run the Ubuntu alternate, once again I can get onto the menu where you choose whether to install etc, but when I choose to install it it displays a load of text and then just says "Killed." and locks up. confused.gif

Edit 2: I've been told that it may be an issue with the fact that my hard drives were previously RAIDed in the old system, and because the data is over two drives the system just fuddles. So now here's the kicker: how can I format both drives with no OS?

Edit 3: I stuck in an old 40GB IDE HDD, I plan to plug the SATAs back in and format them from inside Windows. Now I think I might have some bad RAM, cos I took out all of the stick except 1x1GB and the Windows disc seems to have booted fine, is there any way to confirm if either a port or a RAM stick is bust?

Edit 4: Running Memtest86+ with all four sticks, currently at 285000 errors, and counting. SOMETHING TELLS ME THAT IS NOT GOOD. cry.gif

Darth Plagueis
  • Darth Plagueis

I SHALL RISE AGAIN

• Facade Corporation
  • United-States

Posted 02 September 2008 - 07:22 PM

I'm afraid so, RAM is culprit here, soon as you mentioned that Ubuntu failed I already knew seeing how ubuntu loads directly into ram while in Live mode. The only good thing would be if you just had purchased that ram and you could swap for some good working ones at place of purchased.

kingvercetti
  • kingvercetti

Is this the real life?

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 02 September 2008 - 07:59 PM

I think I found the culprit, one of my 1GB sticks appears to be bad, no matter which slot I put it in it just glitches straight away. Looks like I need some more RAM.

Fingers crossed, besides that it seems to be alright now.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 05 September 2008 - 05:55 AM

MS has a memory testing utility, it can run tests repeatedly, it's downloaded and put to 3.5 inch floppy. Try that to confirm things as well. Just swapping a suspected stick to any slot that will handle it, that's the poor man's troubleshoot, but of course, I use it myself! biggrin.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users