» «
Photo

EA Buys Euphoria

88 replies to this topic
Jesus'En'Hitler420
  • Jesus'En'Hitler420

Suck on that missle cock

• Members

Posted 17 August 2008 - 07:05 AM Edited by Jesus'En'Hitler420, 17 August 2008 - 07:08 AM.

Sorry, I do know EA is full of sh*t as they have taken over a simulation game that I very much enjoyed and was very, very realistic.

I guess that means they don't intend to make a monopoly out of their games, as I have experienced it first hand. If they cared, why didn't they buy out the company and allowed Dave Kaemmer to make games under their name?

They didn't, and they don't care too. They just want to make generic bullsh*t for as long as the contracts don't expire, because by then, it won't matter, they will have made millions.

DjMiikkii
  • DjMiikkii

Hardstyle FTW!

• Members

Posted 17 August 2008 - 07:15 AM

if they use euphoria for the next gta it might have be made in co-operation with EA :'( :'( :'( GTA WILL TURN TO sh*t!!!!!!!!!! just a little guess tounge.gif

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 17 August 2008 - 08:54 AM

You would be making a huge ass assumption, if you get my meaning.
Look at the heat RN and now RL are getting over games they have now, and are about to
release??! Supposed fair weather fans are already crying us a river day in and day out.
There's no worry about EA if Rockstar and Take 2 can't make you happy currently!

Tony Mozzarelli 80
  • Tony Mozzarelli 80

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 17 August 2008 - 08:58 AM

If i were Rockstar North, i would have bought the rights to use Euphoria in all the upcoming Current gen' releases i had planned, therefore avoiding any complications, should NaturalMotion happen to get taken over in such a fashion

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 17 August 2008 - 09:03 AM

I don't see any harm in owning a gaming tool, which I imagine would be licensed to developers, this instead of out-right buying up Take 2 Interactive.

Maybe that's what they decided to do for now, any word from John R.?

I think that again, a business of any type needs to make money, and not just from sales, but from this company to company deals as well.

sanandreas luva101
  • sanandreas luva101

AKA Deri

• BUSTED!

Posted 17 August 2008 - 12:42 PM

QUOTE (yomomsmokes420 @ Aug 16 2008, 03:37)
What does it matter? No amount of cutting edge tech can make EA games good.

i beg to differ

chitoryu12
  • chitoryu12

Resident Actor, Dancer, and Singer

• Members

Posted 17 August 2008 - 05:01 PM

QUOTE (Tony Mozzarelli 80 @ Aug 17 2008, 08:58)
If i were Rockstar North, i would have bought the rights to use Euphoria in all the upcoming Current gen' releases i had planned, therefore avoiding any complications, should NaturalMotion happen to get taken over in such a fashion

I wouldn't. That would allow them to control the technology and who gets to use it, when it should in fact be kept independent so all game developers can use it. It would be a great boon to the gaming community, and help speed up the time it takes for other developers to create it (after all, by the next generation it'll likely be commonplace in gaming).

Apollo_33
  • Apollo_33

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 17 August 2008 - 05:13 PM

Oh sh*t. That sucks.

That means that GTA IV Episodic content will probably be without Euphoria dozingoff.gif

f*ck EA

vomica7
  • vomica7

Agent Orange

• Members

Posted 17 August 2008 - 05:21 PM

and slowly the gaming industry comes to a screeching halt.

good thing im getting older and wont be playing anyway

Tony Mozzarelli 80
  • Tony Mozzarelli 80

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 17 August 2008 - 05:25 PM

QUOTE (chitoryu12 @ Aug 17 2008, 17:01)
QUOTE (Tony Mozzarelli 80 @ Aug 17 2008, 08:58)

I wouldn't. That would allow them to control the technology and who gets to use it, when it should in fact be kept independent so all game developers can use it. It would be a great boon to the gaming community, and help speed up the time it takes for other developers to create it (after all, by the next generation it'll likely be commonplace in gaming).

I don't mean exclusive rights, i just mean i would have stipulated in the contract with naturalmotion, that i would be permitted to use it for the next games. That way, in the event that someone else (EA) took over, they would already be contractually obliged to let Rockstar use it, and wouldn't be able to interfere in any way

Capricornus
  • Capricornus

R.I.P Zee -_-

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 17 August 2008 - 06:43 PM

QUOTE (designmafia @ Aug 16 2008, 02:46)
QUOTE (yomomsmokes420 @ Aug 15 2008, 19:37)
What does it matter? No amount of cutting edge tech can make EA games good.

EA skate. is a good game.

Yes, I had the first Skate and it was excellent. Can't wait til Skate 2 comes out.

About EA possibly buying the Euphoria (Natural Movement) company, well, they have the money to do it so why not? With Euphoria, their games will get vastly improved, no doubt. Smart move.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 17 August 2008 - 07:05 PM

Ppl, ppl, PPL!

This is still a dead issue, because, most damn important...

Electronic Arts DOES NOT MAKE the actual GAME GTA.

This is fundemental in 99% of the complaints people post here, which means they are debunked the second they're posted.

motorforum
  • motorforum

ped crusher

• Members

Posted 17 August 2008 - 07:10 PM

No they don't make the game, but the middleware that makes the game engine in GTA, if owned by EA, stands a chance of not being used in the next GTA game, unless a licensing deal can be reached.

chitoryu12
  • chitoryu12

• Members

Posted 17 August 2008 - 07:13 PM

QUOTE (motorforum @ Aug 17 2008, 19:10)
No they don't make the game, but the middleware that makes the game engine in GTA, if owned by EA, stands a chance of not being used in the next GTA game, unless a licensing deal can be reached.

I think you need to actually, you know, research something before you try to talk about it. RAGE is the game engine. Euphoria is a physics engine.

Oh sh*t. That sucks.

That means that GTA IV Episodic content will probably be without Euphoria 

f*ck EA

Christ, I'm surrounded by braindead morons!

EA DOES NOT OWN EUPHORIA.

EA WILL NOT HOLD EXCLUSIVE RIGHTS.

THERE IS NO PROOF OF THIS.

Jesus Christ, this universe gets dumber every day.

Tony Mozzarelli 80
  • Tony Mozzarelli 80

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 17 August 2008 - 07:15 PM

Even if they did, there would be no reason why Rockstar couldn't use it

Mike0
  • Mike0

Soldier

• Members

Posted 17 August 2008 - 07:28 PM

Euphoria wasnt good anyways. EA can play with it. Rockstar should go back to motion capture.

I dont wanna wait 5 seconds for Niko to start moving when I push the left joypad stick upwards. No thanks.

Some of this text is sarcasm:)

I still think the GTA3, VC and SA "vibes" are competitive if not better than GTA IVs.

The whole immigration story wasnt fun also.

They should have continued the story of Claude Speed from GTA3, open up the northside of town, make another killer soundtrack, with Chatterbox 2008 in it....

But there will always be GTA3 and the quality voice actors that gave their voices and the vibe of the game.....

GTA3 4 LIFE.,,, Who's with me.

Blasting Rise FM in a Banshee in the middle of a foggy night in Rockport, doing drivebys, PRICELESS.....

I wanna live in GTA3 Liberty City, soak in the athmosphere.....

chitoryu12
  • chitoryu12

• Members

Posted 17 August 2008 - 07:28 PM

QUOTE (Tony Mozzarelli 80 @ Aug 17 2008, 19:15)
Even if they did, there would be no reason why Rockstar couldn't use it

Exactly. Even if EA bought Euphoria, it would be suicide for them to not let other companies use it. Their reputation is already bad enough, and trying to control a technology that would greatly benefit the gaming community (equivilant to trying to control the rights to ragdoll physics) would mean that nobody would do business with them or allow EA to buy them out.

Tony Mozzarelli 80
  • Tony Mozzarelli 80

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 17 August 2008 - 07:29 PM

Not to mention Flashback FM

@ Chitoryu, exactly they would most likely relish the oppurtunity to make more money by allowing other developers to utilize it's just good practical sense really

chitoryu12
  • chitoryu12

• Members

Posted 17 August 2008 - 07:34 PM

Euphoria wasnt good anyways. EA can play with it. Rockstar should go back to motion capture.

I dont wanna wait 5 seconds for Niko to start moving when I push the left joypad stick upwards. No thanks.

You realize that in comparison to even Bully, which had far better graphics and animation than any previous GTA, motion capture looks like crap?

And just a question: Mike0, why the f*ck are you putting that here? Wrong thread.

motorforum
  • motorforum

ped crusher

• Members

Posted 17 August 2008 - 07:35 PM

QUOTE (chitoryu12 @ Aug 17 2008, 19:13)

I think you need to actually, you know, research something before you try to talk about it. RAGE is the game engine. Euphoria is a physics engine.

Oh, well, forgive me from not qualifying that the physics engine is the part that makes the character interact with the game world and is therefore a significant part of the game and simply using the catch-all term 'game engine'. I bow down to your awesome pedantry.

Mike0
  • Mike0

Soldier

• Members

Posted 17 August 2008 - 07:37 PM

I was just playing a bit, sorry biggrin.gif I deliberately wrote in that fashion.

Regarding the Euphoria news, oh well, these things happen. Ea also bought RenderWare. If they buy it and dont make it available to third parties (very unlikely), then Rockstar are gonna need to find a new animation engine, aint it biggrin.gif

P-Thunder.
  • P-Thunder.

UK and proud.

• Members

Posted 17 August 2008 - 07:39 PM

QUOTE (Starion @ Aug 16 2008, 02:49)
Oh sh*t.

Now Euphoria will be seen in nearly every single game on the market.

Thanks EA, you bunch of sh*tty cocks. sad.gif

EDIT: Valve and the Source engine as well? is this a f*cking joke? cryani.gif

NINJA EDIT: Well, at least there is a bit of hope.

EA don't own valve nor do they own source. They are merely a distributor.

chitoryu12
  • chitoryu12

• Members

Posted 17 August 2008 - 07:40 PM

QUOTE (motorforum @ Aug 17 2008, 19:35)

Oh, well, forgive me from not qualifying that the physics engine is the part that makes the character interact with the game world and is therefore a significant part of the game and simply using the catch-all term 'game engine'. I bow down to your awesome pedantry.

It's not a catch-all term because "game engine" and "physics engine" are used to refer to two different things. The game engine affects graphics, animation, draw distance, and the like, while the physics engine controls, obviously, object and character physics.

Mike0
  • Mike0

Soldier

• Members

Posted 17 August 2008 - 07:45 PM

QUOTE (chitoryu12 @ Aug 17 2008, 19:40)

It's not a catch-all term because "game engine" and "physics engine" are used to refer to two different things. The game engine affects graphics, animation, draw distance, and the like, while the physics engine controls, obviously, object and character physics.

We're getting all technical here. Its the soul that matters.

CryptReaperDorian
  • CryptReaperDorian

Boss

• Members

Posted 17 August 2008 - 07:54 PM

Yeah, that is a bunch of BS about EA buying out Euphoria from NaturalMotion. And Euphoria is going to be mostly used by Rockstar Games and LucasArts. NaturalMotion is also releasing a game called Backbreaker, a football game using their own technology (Euphoria). Euphoria is different from other ragdoll physics engines in that other ones (like Havok) only use ragdoll physics when the player falls or goes airborn. Euphoria also works with the enviroment such as when Niko walks up a hill he would put his forward foot higher up in elevation.

Euphoria should only stick with Rockstar Games, LucasArts, and NaturalMotion itself. No other companies should use Euphoria as it is a precious physics engine and shouldn't be seen in every other game that goes on market otherwise it would lose its feel. Well, it would be okay I think if other TTWO sub-companies would use Euphoria just as long as it isn't every game that has it.

FrozenFire
  • FrozenFire

Holy crap

• Members

Posted 17 August 2008 - 07:56 PM

QUOTE (Mike0 @ Aug 17 2008, 13:45)
QUOTE (chitoryu12 @ Aug 17 2008, 19:40)

We're getting all technical here. Its the soul that matters.

No it doesn't.
You're all a bunch of petty little children, or adults with the minds of children, who are getting angry at a company for doing business.
I'm glad EA owns Euphoria. I'm excited to see it used in more games, because it's a great engine. EA makes many good games, and many bad ones. It's not perfect, but it's the most successful business in the gaming world, so they're obviously doing something right.

You all think gaming is some sort of religion, and EA is coming to convert you. It's not some f*cking disease, like some people here make it out to be.

Yeah, I'm a big fan of Rockstar, and I love their games, but that doesn't mean I'll just blind myself so as to not support any other company.

In fact, I think I'll go play a wonderful game by EA now. Skate.
If I were more into sports games, I'm sure I'd go play some Madden. Seeing as how it's clearly the leader of Sports games. Made by EA.

And every time I inject some logic into a gaming forum, there's always some 13 year old there to say "u jus work for dat compeny and ur treying 2 defend them!1!!"
So before anyone says some dumbass thing like that, no, I don't. I'm 16, and my grammar isn't good enough to make me seem like I'm in a big business.

Damn, now I see why everyone looks down on the GTA IVums, you're all a bunch of idiots.

31st Funk
  • 31st Funk

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 17 August 2008 - 10:24 PM

f*ck YOU EA!

Nikofan112
  • Nikofan112

Kneel Before Doctor Insano!

• Members

Posted 17 August 2008 - 10:47 PM

Hmm, now that you mention it, I did hear something from a NaturalMotion Exe about the likelihood of them partnering with EA, so they can use Euphoria for games like Madden...

Oh crap, I wonder what this means for BackBreaker.
mercie_blink.gif

chitoryu12
  • chitoryu12

• Members

Posted 18 August 2008 - 12:46 AM

QUOTE (Nikofan112 @ Aug 17 2008, 22:47)
Hmm, now that you mention it, I did hear something from a NaturalMotion Exe about the likelihood of them partnering with EA, so they can use Euphoria for games like Madden...

Oh crap, I wonder what this means for BackBreaker.
mercie_blink.gif

Backbreaker will likely still be released. It's been in development for some time now and the gameplay is fairly solid. It's more likely that if EA aquired NaturalMotion, they'll just be the publishers.

And really, what's with all the hate? People like this guy:

f*ck YOU EA!

have no idea about business. They just think that they know better than people who got the jobs instead of them. Let me put it this way: If you just aquired a revolutionary technology that changes gaming as we know it, would you refuse to let anybody else use it?

Probably, yes. You're all a bunch of f*ckheads anyway.

The correct answer is a big fat NEGATORY. It would be business suicide. EA's learned that there are plenty of big-name companies that don't want to get bought out by them. Pissing off everybody else and slowing down game development would make a lot of powerful people in the industry quite unhappy. They'll lose a lot of chances for partnerships and their current developers will start to think twice about being associated with such an unpopular group. Piss a major company like Maxis off enough, and it's pathetically easy for them to cut into their profits by making purposefully sh*tty games. It'll kill them as well, true, but they can all use their outstanding reputations to just quit and move on to different companies, leaving EA holding a pile of sh*t with no use.

That's precisely why EA isn't going to horde any new tech they get their hands on.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users