» «
Photo

Need Help Choosing a Motherboard

7 replies to this topic
kingvercetti
  • kingvercetti

Is this the real life?

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 15 August 2008 - 12:01 AM Edited by kingvercetti, 15 August 2008 - 02:03 AM.

So, I've realized that the only way I'll get any long term upgrading potential from my Dell XPS system is to get a new power supply...unfortunately this means buying a new case...and motherboard...and CPU cooler. Oh Dell, you are silly, with your insistence on using BTX.
Anyway, I've already picked out a case and power supply that should last me a while:
XClio Windtunnel - Is huge and has big side fans, should fit in a GTX280 or equivalent length card in easily right?
Tagan 600w Power Supply - 600w output, 800w peak, 64A across the +12V rails. Should be fine and dandy for most new GPUs. Unless I'm madly mistaken.
I picked out a cheapish Zalman CPU cooler, no point getting something flashy when I have two huge 25cm fans on the side of the case, just something that'll do the job nicely.
I also took into consideration that my hard drives will no longer be RAIDed, but a quick backup of some important stuff and a format + reinstall of Vista should be fine, I can leave the newly formatted second drive for applications etc.
So that just leaves a new motherboard.
Basically, I need an ATX LGA775 board that won't bottleneck the rest of my system and is preferably from a well known and trusted brand. I won't be doing much if any overclocking so chipset and OCing potential isn't the most important thing but obviously a good chipset would be nice. Same case for SLI or CrossFire support, not strictly necessary but if you want to show me a board that has it (preferably CrossFire, I love multiple monitors enough to not wanna leave them) then go right ahead. smile.gif Oh yeah, and it needs to support SATA, and DDR2 667MHz RAM, and whatever FSB speed Q6600's run at, the average stuff really.
My budget for the motherboard alone will be about 100, under that would be nice but if it goes a bit over that's fine, saying as I already have a working system waiting to be transferred I can just buy the parts as I get the money, so more money just means a longer wait.

Oh and while I'm here, can I just make sure that I'd have no trouble moving over a Q6600, 8800GT, 3GB DDR2 667MHz RAM, two 320GB Samsung hard drives and a generic run-of-the-mill DVD drive to the kit? The case claims to have a simple and mostly tool-less setup, but will I face any problems?

Thanks folks. smile.gif

Vince_ThePhoenix
  • Vince_ThePhoenix

We have no choice, We must break out

• Members
  • Mauritius

Posted 16 August 2008 - 07:34 AM

Asus P5Q
(P45) - 69.95 / 82.19

crazymodder
  • crazymodder

Do Ya Thang

• BUSTED!

Posted 16 August 2008 - 09:11 AM

or intel x38 platinum.

Democrab
  • Democrab

Tornado of Souls

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 16 August 2008 - 09:12 AM

Anything but ASUS is good (They have reliability problems), I recommend this.

kingvercetti
  • kingvercetti

Is this the real life?

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 16 August 2008 - 05:28 PM

Cheers to both of you but I'm gonna get what Joe recommended, I always thought Asus was a very reputable brand, obviously they've gone downhill recently though. Thanks. smile.gif

Darth Plagueis
  • Darth Plagueis

I SHALL RISE AGAIN

• Facade Corporation
  • United-States

Posted 16 August 2008 - 05:50 PM

QUOTE (kingvercetti @ Aug 16 2008, 13:28)
Cheers to both of you but I'm gonna get what Joe recommended, I always thought Asus was a very reputable brand, obviously they've gone downhill recently though. Thanks. smile.gif

Excellent choice worth the money.
yea! Today's ASUS motherboards are horrible, use to be the best a few years back. Even their product support is terrible. I bought a ASUS motherboard for a customer and had to send it back twice. So I only purchase ABIT,Gigabyte motherboards.

Failure
  • Failure

Gone for now.

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 17 August 2008 - 10:18 PM

QUOTE (pcguytech_2005 @ Aug 16 2008, 17:50)

yea! Today's ASUS motherboards are horrible, use to be the best a few years back. Even their product support is terrible. I bought a ASUS motherboard for a customer and had to send it back twice. So I only purchase ABIT,Gigabyte motherboards.

How about a Foxconn?

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 19 August 2008 - 12:19 PM

QUOTE (pcguytech_2005 @ Aug 16 2008, 17:50)

I have an Asus P2 board with Intel chips, and I don't recommend that one, it needs specialized drivers for Win98 and I can't find them at DriverGuide, however their webmaster actually got back to me and told me their site [ASUS's] should support it. I can't recall seeing it, and I can't recall the problem area, but these boards only run a Slotkit 500Mhz Celeron at top speed. ASUS made some casing for others, and form factor cards, etc... so they've done many things besides mainboards, however, like Sony, there's good and BAD!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users