Photo

--The Official Saints Row II Thread--

1,225 replies to this topic
BlOoDStReAm101
  • BlOoDStReAm101

I am the night

• Members

Posted 22 August 2008 - 03:12 PM

QUOTE (FunkyChunky @ Aug 19 2008, 16:10)
-video-

After playing IV that is pretty lol worthy.

This makes me appreciate the realism and driving physics in GTA IV now. Damn, it looked like crap. Maybe it's cause of the low quality footage, but I doubt this will be any better than IV.

ryuclan
  • ryuclan

Maybe I'll Stay awhile

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 22 August 2008 - 03:34 PM

QUOTE (xNamexTakenx @ Aug 22 2008, 03:12)
That was one sick trailer! All the gang trailers are awesome. I'm really anticipating this game, now!

EDIT: If you are too lazy to click on the link, here is the Youtube video embedded:

Enjoy!

The trailers are pretty good but it worries me that there is NO gameplay in these things. Its all cut scenes and the gameplay I have seen was a little lacking. I want this game but I don't want any corners cut dammit.

[GTA Man]cycon77foamy[GTA Man]
  • [GTA Man]cycon77foamy[GTA Man]

Abandoned

• Members

Posted 23 August 2008 - 02:05 AM

I'm looking forward to this game. I loved the first one.

Though i hope they fix the issue of the ghost town. If you played Vice or San you'll know the most amount of cars you can see on screen is like 4 or 5 and peds would be like 4-5 on screen at once. Obviously this was due to the sheer size of the world and the limited hardware, but Saints Row was on next-gen hardware and still had the same issue. Its never bothered me before until I played SR last night, I mean right after I've been playing IV which you can see up-to 15 cars on screen and 14-16 peds on screen at anyone time.

Oh and the frame-rate. The frame-rate was poor in SR.

willgtavcs
  • willgtavcs

haven't been here for years

• Members

Posted 26 August 2008 - 05:35 AM

QUOTE ([GTA Man]cycon77foamy[GTA Man] @ Aug 23 2008, 02:05)
I'm looking forward to this game. I loved the first one.

Though i hope they fix the issue of the ghost town. If you played Vice or San you'll know the most amount of cars you can see on screen is like 4 or 5 and peds would be like 4-5 on screen at once. Obviously this was due to the sheer size of the world and the limited hardware, but Saints Row was on next-gen hardware and still had the same issue. Its never bothered me before until I played SR last night, I mean right after I've been playing IV which you can see up-to 15 cars on screen and 14-16 peds on screen at anyone time.

Oh and the frame-rate. The frame-rate was poor in SR.

yes hopefully its up to gta standards now, gta iv you could have heaps of cars at once

Machida
  • Machida

Send in the cows

• Members

Posted 26 August 2008 - 06:16 AM

That was one sick trailer! All the gang trailers are awesome. I'm really anticipating this game, now!

EDIT: If you are too lazy to click on the link, here is the Youtube video embedded:

Enjoy!

No stereotypes in this game then?

beavis
  • beavis

Lone Wolf

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 26 August 2008 - 06:52 AM Edited by beavis, 26 August 2008 - 07:10 AM.

Will you be able to get high and drunk like in SR1? I loved the fact that you could get high using a blunt, bong, or joint! You know those developers are stoners! Same with the alcohol, you had a choice on what you could drink. Anyone know if this little neat feature will be included in the sequel?

@ Machida - There are stereotypes in a lot of games. Just look at GTA for example!

Mr.Ruthless
  • Mr.Ruthless

Comedian

• Members

Posted 26 August 2008 - 07:07 AM

I just don't understand one thing - why are they hiding the PC DVD logo at the end of the video?

Machida
  • Machida

Send in the cows

• Members

Posted 26 August 2008 - 07:50 AM Edited by Machida, 26 August 2008 - 08:09 AM.

QUOTE (beavis @ Aug 26 2008, 06:52)
Will you be able to get high and drunk like in SR1? I loved the fact that you could get high using a blunt, bong, or joint! You know those developers are stoners! Same with the alcohol, you had a choice on what you could drink. Anyone know if this little neat feature will be included in the sequel?

@ Machida - There are stereotypes in a lot of games. Just look at GTA for example!

GTA sets out to use stereotypes as a form of parody. I can't tell if Saints Row is trying to do the same or not.

I've been crusing the Saints Row 2 official site site out of bordom. There's no mention of "Brown Baggers". The store where you bought alchol/ spliffs. Did find this piece about the new stores which will be in the game.

In SR2 we have kept the four original clothing store chains that we had in SR1: Sloppy Seconds, On the Rag, Branded, and Impressions. For SR2 we’ve added 3 new stores to take advantage of new customization features.

Clothing. 

Nobody Loves Me.
This is a store for people who love piercings. We have new piercing options in SR2 so that the player can have nose, mouth, and eyebrow piercings along with earrings. Nobody Loves Me is also where many of Stilwater’s bikers can find the clothes that they love.

Leather and Lace.
Now that the player has the option to play as a woman we needed to make sure there were clothing items that made the player actually feel like a woman. Leather and Lace is the place to go to make your character feel like that special someone. Here you can find everything from lacey underwear to bondage gear to get anyone excited.

Let’s Pretend.
Outfits are a new feature in SR2 and they allow the player to wear a group of items with one push of a button. At Let’s Pretend, Stilwater’s premiere costume store, you can find outfits to make your character look like a clown, hippie, pirate and more! Don’t like the choices at the store? Once you’ve created a look that you like you can also create your own outfits at your crib wardrobe.

Jewelry

Along with the returning On Thin Ice we’ve added one new jewelry store.

Bling Bling
We realize, especially at the beginning of the game, the player wants to be able to shine, but he may not have the cash to purchase the rocks and gold to make himself stand out. Bling Bling is the place to go until then; nice looking bling without the cost. Just don’t ask them where they got their stuff…

Gift Shops

Stilwater has several new districts, and many of them are tourist friendly! Look for special gift shops in the museum district, underground caverns and Stilwater University.

Branding

In SR1 we had several clothing brands that the player could choose from. However, each article of clothing was predefined with the company and logo. So if you wanted your Stalker cap to be an Ultor cap you were out of luck. For SR2 we’re allowing the player to put any logo on any piece of clothing that can have one. We’ve also created new logos and companies for the player to choose from. The logos can even be colored separately.

Food

In addition to Freckle Bitch’s we have several new stores where you can buy food now.

Apollo’s
Stilwater has a ton of cops and they all need a place to eat. At Apollo’s you can find donuts and coffee, which are essential items for those who fight (or perpetrate) crime.

Phuc Mi Phuc Yue
The number of Asian immigrants in Stilwater has risen over the years. The Ronin are a result of that growth. Phuc Mi Phuc Yue is too. Run by mostly Chinese, they feature great takeout, as well as family-friendly restaurants.

Company of Gyros
At Company of Gyros, expect the staff to run their operation like a well oiled machine. They always have enough resources and manpower to make sure the competition is outmatched. Nothing says taste like spiced lamb, World War II style!

The Ultor Mall
Ultor has spent a lot of money to improve Stilwater. One of their biggest projects is the Rounds Square Mall located under the retail district on the north island. A massive consumer mecca, Ultor has spared no expense for the comfort of its patrons. Within the mall you can find several new store types, a two level food court and a conference center.

http://community.saintsrow.com/blogs/?cat=14 (http://community.sai...m/blogs/?cat=14)

ryuclan
  • ryuclan

Maybe I'll Stay awhile

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 26 August 2008 - 08:11 AM

QUOTE (Machida @ Aug 26 2008, 07:50)
GTA sets out to use stereotypes as a form of parody. I can't tell if Saints Row is trying to do the same or not.

Only thing about SR's humor is that it's not subtle enough. It's too upfront which usually means it sounds like they are trying too hard. Hopefully they can tone it down a bit and actually be funny, but from the trailers it looks like they are still trying to be funny when it should just happen.

dvs_angel
  • dvs_angel

Peon

• Members

Posted 26 August 2008 - 08:43 AM

QUOTE (xNamexTakenx @ Aug 22 2008, 13:12)

Enjoy!

Oh man, those are some crappy fire effects at the end. Looks like the fire in SA. I hope it's just the video quality that's making it look so last-gen.

QUOTE (Mr.Ruthless @ Aug 26 2008, 17:07)
I just don't understand one thing - why are they hiding the PC DVD logo at the end of the video?

It's a conspiracy, man! They don't advertise the PC version so that when it does poorly in sales, they can blame it on piracy! catspider.gif

Mr.Ruthless
  • Mr.Ruthless

Comedian

• Members

Posted 26 August 2008 - 10:39 AM

QUOTE (dvs_angel @ Aug 26 2008, 10:43)
QUOTE (Mr.Ruthless @ Aug 26 2008, 17:07)

QUOTE (dvs_angel)
It's a conspiracy, man! They don't advertise the PC version so that when it does poorly in sales, they can blame it on piracy! catspider.gif

Good point.

xNamexTakenx
  • xNamexTakenx

Demonik

• Members

Posted 26 August 2008 - 11:31 AM

QUOTE (Machida @ Aug 26 2008, 02:16)

Enjoy!

So, who gives a f*ck if there are stereotypes or not? GTA always has stereotypes. Why can't any other game?

Machida
  • Machida

Send in the cows

• Members

Posted 26 August 2008 - 03:35 PM

QUOTE (xNamexTakenx @ Aug 26 2008, 11:31)
QUOTE (Machida @ Aug 26 2008, 02:16)

>video<

Enjoy!

So, who gives a f*ck if there are stereotypes or not? GTA always has stereotypes. Why can't any other game?

!?
Yet these stereotypes don't seem to have a purpose. Rather they're just stereotypes to compensate for a lack of imagination.

ryuclan
  • ryuclan

Maybe I'll Stay awhile

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 27 August 2008 - 01:49 AM

QUOTE (Machida @ Aug 26 2008, 15:35)
!?
Yet these stereotypes don't seem to have a purpose. Rather they're just stereotypes to compensate for a lack of imagination.

Yeah seriously, but I hope these stereotypes aren't just a placeholder for real character development. I mean in GTA there was stereotypes (how can you avoid them?) but they fit so well and were never over done. Nobody complained about Lance Vance or said that Tony Ciprianni was too Italian.

willgtavcs
  • willgtavcs

haven't been here for years

• Members

Posted 31 August 2008 - 12:39 AM

QUOTE (ryuclan @ Aug 27 2008, 01:49)
QUOTE (Machida @ Aug 26 2008, 15:35)
!?

Yeah seriously, but I hope these stereotypes aren't just a placeholder for real character development. I mean in GTA there was stereotypes (how can you avoid them?) but they fit so well and were never over done. Nobody complained about Lance Vance or said that Tony Ciprianni was too Italian.

true,

but with SR it was too GANGKSTAAHHHH!.
tried too hard to be something that is quite stupid, if pushed too far.
sterotypical, but they need to tone it down, and gta was not steriotypical. all characters were as they would be in real life, although the only character i felt was overdone in GTA 3, was misty.

Machida
  • Machida

Send in the cows

• Members

Posted 09 September 2008 - 03:57 AM

A gameplay designer interview from Gametrailers.

He's a fat man.
monocle.gif

EricDraven_GTACrow
  • EricDraven_GTACrow

Jesus Christ Poltergeist

• Members

Posted 09 September 2008 - 04:08 AM

I personally loved SR1, I plan on getting SR2. One thing I would think that could be fun game play wise is add lots of other drugs (narc style) that the player can f*ck around with, then you could get high on acid and drive in to on comming traffic chasing hallucinations. but maybe thats just my idea of fun.....

Machida
  • Machida

Send in the cows

• Members

Posted 09 September 2008 - 04:26 AM

It looks like you still have to get "respect" to do the missions.
There only seems to be 3 voices for your character aswell, it looks a bit boring to be honest.
I'll still buy it somewhere down the line no doupt but I won't be in a hurry.
I'm just going to wait and see what the reaction is like on GTAF when it's released.

ryuclan
  • ryuclan

Maybe I'll Stay awhile

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 09 September 2008 - 10:58 AM

QUOTE (Machida @ Sep 9 2008, 04:26)
There only seems to be 3 voices for your character aswell, it looks a bit boring to be honest.
I'm just going to wait and see what the reaction is like on GTAF when it's released.

I'll probably be getting it first day, so I'll probably write my first impressions here, if nobody has gotten this thing locked. It's funny though because there is a GTA IV topic at the Saints Row forum and it is SO immature over there that it doesn't make sense. Take our GTA IVum's maturity level and divide that 10.

xNamexTakenx
  • xNamexTakenx

Demonik

• Members

Posted 11 September 2008 - 05:33 PM

QUOTE (Machida @ Sep 9 2008, 00:26)

Actually, there's 6 voices. 3 female and 3 male. The cool thing about this game is that you can have either gender, or anything in between. tounge.gif But, who wants that, right? I'm pretty sure some people will probably make a half-male, half-female lol.

OT: There's a new co-op trailer. It looks pretty cool. Check it:

beavis
  • beavis

Lone Wolf

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 11 September 2008 - 05:47 PM

That new trailer looked awesome. Brings back some hype back into the game.

1 more month to go!

saintdave
  • saintdave

saintdave™

• Members

Posted 11 September 2008 - 06:01 PM

Odd that they would play our national anthem (England) for that co-op trailer but it still looked good. I love how stupidly unrealistic and free the game seems, it will be a lot of fun to play through.

xNamexTakenx
  • xNamexTakenx

Demonik

• Members

Posted 14 September 2008 - 01:11 AM

For MP, do you think we'll be able to play with more than just 2 players online? Or will it just be 2 player co-op. I hope there is an MP like IV, where there's up to 16 players. Does anybody know? Sorry, I haven't played the first SR. sad.gif

ryuclan
  • ryuclan

Maybe I'll Stay awhile

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 14 September 2008 - 02:07 AM

QUOTE (xNamexTakenx @ Sep 14 2008, 01:11)
For MP, do you think we'll be able to play with more than just 2 players online? Or will it just be 2 player co-op. I hope there is an MP like IV, where there's up to 16 players. Does anybody know? Sorry, I haven't played the first SR. sad.gif

The first one was up to 16 and it mainly consisted of different variations of deathmatches and a few others like Blinged out ride. I doubt a 16 player free roam though.

xNamexTakenx
  • xNamexTakenx

Demonik

• Members

Posted 14 September 2008 - 02:51 PM

QUOTE (ryuclan @ Sep 13 2008, 22:07)
QUOTE (xNamexTakenx @ Sep 14 2008, 01:11)

The first one was up to 16 and it mainly consisted of different variations of deathmatches and a few others like Blinged out ride. I doubt a 16 player free roam though.

Okay, thanks.

Randall Flagg
  • Randall Flagg

peace.

• Members

Posted 15 September 2008 - 12:46 AM

I just hope it's not buggy and glitchy. Number one froze alot I heard also

ryuclan
  • ryuclan

Maybe I'll Stay awhile

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 15 September 2008 - 12:52 AM

QUOTE (Randall Flagg @ Sep 15 2008, 00:46)
I just hope it's not buggy and glitchy. Number one froze alot I heard also

No, it didn't freeze a lot. It's just that a lot of bullsh*t slipped through the Q&A and the game was buggy as f*ck.

This doesn't include the stuff from MP. There was actually a glitch where you could run around and beat people, and nobody could see you. Standbying is horrible (Everyone is stuck in the lobby while the one doing it kills everyone). NONE of this stuff got fixed and none of it has been fixed yet.

Berkley
  • Berkley

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 16 September 2008 - 07:28 PM

This game is so awesome as seen in the trailers. I wish I had a console to play it.

ThaDoggfather
  • ThaDoggfather

I like women

• BUSTED!

Posted 19 September 2008 - 10:06 AM

does this game only revolve around gangs. The customization looks extremely cool, but is their a proper story to the game?

xNamexTakenx
  • xNamexTakenx

Demonik

• Members

Posted 26 September 2008 - 07:45 PM

Did anybody check out the MP vids on IGN.com? They look pretty sick! I can't wait for this game. biggrin.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users