Photo

DS Controls

18 replies to this topic
Coolyfett
  • Coolyfett

Hustler

• Members

Posted 08 August 2008 - 03:16 AM

I'm really looking forward to this game coming out, it will be the first DS game I own, I know that DS joystick is very similar to the PSP joystick, besides the analog stick & touch screen the joysticks are similar. I'm just getting use to the control scheme on for Liberty City Stories, I heard Vice is the same controls. Im hoping that Chinatown Wars is the same as far as the face buttons and shoulder buttons. How would you like it set up?

Smiley001
  • Smiley001

Abandoned all hope...

• Members

Posted 08 August 2008 - 05:11 AM

We can't really tell yet how the controls are going to be since we're not sure if it's 2D or 3D...
I can't image how the controls will work if it's 3D. Since you needed the analog nub on the PSP for looking on the sides when in a car to drive-by, then I'm not sure how they are going to do that on the DS. In my opinion it will definitely have modified controls over the PSP's

Coolyfett
  • Coolyfett

Hustler

• Members

Posted 09 August 2008 - 07:13 PM

QUOTE (Smiley001 @ Aug 8 2008, 05:11)
We can't really tell yet how the controls are going to be since we're not sure if it's 2D or 3D...
I can't image how the controls will work if it's 3D. Since you needed the analog nub on the PSP for looking on the sides when in a car to drive-by, then I'm not sure how they are going to do that on the DS. In my opinion it will definitely have modified controls over the PSP's

The touch screen will just replace the analog stick, sorta how you use the mouse on a PC. The face button, D-Pad & shoulder operations should remain the same.

tubby custardd
  • tubby custardd

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 12 August 2008 - 06:08 PM Edited by JonnyVercetti, 12 August 2008 - 06:10 PM.

Wtf...a DS dont have a analog stick...

Look:

user posted image

user posted image

I dont see a analog stick on the DS..

epoxi
  • epoxi

Your Mother

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None
  • Best Poster [Vehicles] 2014

Posted 12 August 2008 - 08:31 PM

QUOTE (Coolyfett @ Aug 9 2008, 19:13)
The touch screen will just replace the analog stick

JonyVercetti, please learn to read before going through the effort of scouting Google Images.

Coolyfett
  • Coolyfett

Hustler

• Members

Posted 13 August 2008 - 01:03 AM

QUOTE (JonnyVercetti @ Aug 12 2008, 18:08)

Look:

user posted image

user posted image

Who said a DS had an analog stick?

Coolyfett
  • Coolyfett

Hustler

• Members

Posted 13 August 2008 - 01:10 AM

QUOTE (JonnyVercetti @ Aug 12 2008, 18:08)

Look:

user posted image

user posted image

Dude that is a Dual Shock not a PSP lol...wow

read quote:

With the use of the DS touch screen, players will navigate their way through the streets as they uncover the truth behind an epic tale of crime and corruption within the Triad crime syndicate, delivering the unprecedented amount of depth that has become a true trademark of the franchise.

link:

http://kotaku.com/50...china-town-wars

Last but not least my question for the dummies...

How do you navigate on the PSP?

The Analog Stick.

How will you navigate on the DS?

The Touch Screen.

In other words....The Touch Screen will do what the Analog Stick does???....hmmm.

PWNED!

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 13 August 2008 - 07:50 AM Edited by Slamman, 13 August 2008 - 07:55 AM.

I, sir, have not owned or had planned to buy a DS system, nor is it likely true I would have splurged for a PSP (two at the end of it all!) to play anything outside GTA.
Still, GTA's combined humor, music, free-roam, car driving and boosting is what makes it a lot of fun, not to mention the shootouts. However, would you REALLY say the DS control is akin to PSP because I've not been too fond of the one analog stick in PSPs but it's required at the size it maintains.
The touchscreen is interesting but would directly intrude on the graphics one is watching, would it not?

Coolyfett
  • Coolyfett

Hustler

• Members

Posted 14 August 2008 - 04:40 PM

hmm..... possibly

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 15 August 2008 - 01:40 PM

All that Best Buy appears to have is Nintendo DS Lite, is this the console we are looking at getting the game on?

Coolyfett
  • Coolyfett

Hustler

• Members

Posted 15 August 2008 - 09:18 PM

QUOTE (Slamman @ Aug 15 2008, 13:40)
All that Best Buy appears to have is Nintendo DS Lite, is this the console we are looking at getting the game on?

.....yea....What do you mean?

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 17 August 2008 - 02:41 PM

What the Q means is what does the term; LITE mean here???

Coolyfett
  • Coolyfett

Hustler

• Members

Posted 03 September 2008 - 03:03 AM

QUOTE (Slamman @ Aug 17 2008, 14:41)

Im assuming the latest version of the DS. I don't have the latest version of the PSP. I own the first installment. Aren't the D-pads exactly alike?

nbond99
  • nbond99

Agent of Chaos

• Members

Posted 03 September 2008 - 04:35 PM

QUOTE (Slamman @ Aug 13 2008, 07:50)
I, sir, have not owned or had planned to buy a DS system, nor is it likely true I would have splurged for a PSP (two at the end of it all!) to play anything outside GTA.
Still, GTA's combined humor, music, free-roam, car driving and boosting is what makes it a lot of fun, not to mention the shootouts. However, would you REALLY say the DS control is akin to PSP because I've not been too fond of the one analog stick in PSPs but it's required at the size it maintains.
The touchscreen is interesting but would directly intrude on the graphics one is watching, would it not?

Not necessarily, because most games that control like that, i.e Super Mario 64 DS, Call of Duty 4, etc. only have a map and basic info on the bottom screen, so you control with that, and all the action happens on the top screen. I can basically guarantee this will be the case in Chinatown Wars.

GTA3Freak-2001
  • GTA3Freak-2001

Run out of Cake.

• Members

Posted 04 September 2008 - 05:31 AM

QUOTE (Slamman @ Aug 18 2008, 01:11)

Its the newest and mostly better version of the DS, its more compact, has better battery life and a brighter screen hence where the name Lite possibly came from as well as its obvious smaller size. Its basically the same as the old DS, same software, same features etc. Some people do prefer the old DS's D-pad only because its bigger but honestly the Lite's D-pad is fine for me although extended use does cramp my hands. Not the the PSP didn't either mind you.

Coolyfett
  • Coolyfett

Hustler

• Members

Posted 22 September 2008 - 11:21 PM

True GTA game - sandbox gameplay, open-world environment, gritty crime narrative.
- M-rating
- Isometric camera angle
- Cel-shaded polygons w/ black borders
- good touch-screen implementation - 'tasteful' minigames, streamlining interface
- UI based on a PDA - hub for email, contacts, map, music player, GPS, stat-tracking
- stats uploaded to Rockstar Social Club website via Wi-Fi
- finger-sized icons
- missions designed for shorter periods of play, arcade quality
- aiming with control pad, auto targeting with R button
- subtle autosteer
- if you fail a mission, you can jump back to the action sequence
- chain gun, flamethrower
- good portion of Liberty City is modeled in the game (different routes than console games)
- no probems with load times, draw-in or frame rate
- lots of pedestrians, cars, etc on screen
- Wanted system - objective is to disable police cars any way possible
- real-time weather effects, 24-hour day/night cycle
- lots of radio stations to listen to (more instrumentals than vocals)
- 800,000 lines of hand-optimized source code (hey, the people like the info, right?)
- no details yet on multiplayer/Wi-Fi features

Good to see the auto aim is still the R button. Im interested in the radio station though just playing instrumentals and not vocals. hmmm.

MC.
  • MC.

LS Menace

• Members

Posted 01 October 2008 - 07:08 AM

I actually hope that the L Button doesn't have a significant use for this game because since my L Button BARELY works, it's really difficult to use it.

nbond99
  • nbond99

Agent of Chaos

• Members

Posted 01 October 2008 - 04:09 PM

QUOTE (MC_320 @ Oct 1 2008, 07:08)
I actually hope that the L Button doesn't have a significant use for this game because since my L Button BARELY works, it's really difficult to use it.

Even if it does, I'd be surprised if they didn't have adjustable control schemes, so hopefully that won't be an issue for you at all.

Coolyfett
  • Coolyfett

Hustler

• Members

Posted 09 December 2008 - 11:21 PM

QUOTE (nbond99 @ Oct 1 2008, 16:09)
QUOTE (MC_320 @ Oct 1 2008, 07:08)

Even if it does, I'd be surprised if they didn't have adjustable control schemes, so hopefully that won't be an issue for you at all.

I have never play a DS, but from what I saw the PSP & DS have the same amount of face buttons - 10, not including the start & select buttons. I am really hoping the configuration is similar to psp set up. Like I'm curious to know how do you select weapons if the D-pad is used for body movement?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users