Will GTA:CW matter?

40 replies to this topic
epoxi
  • epoxi

Your Mother

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 07 August 2008 - 06:56 PM

From what I remember, GTA:Advance was set in the city of Liberty City, but had nothing to do with the traditional GTAIII geography, and very little to do with the well-known characters of the trilogy. The game was just a box for R* to tick, so that they had covered all markets (i.e. made some money from Gameboy/Gamecube owners...who traditionally stick to Nintendo...so wouldn't buy PS2/XBOX/PC games).

Considering the generic name, and location "Chinatown." Will this game have any significance in the latest GTAIV series?

I have a feeling GTA:CW will be a disapointment to hardcore GTA players. It'll be a bit of fun, but won't even come close to a "Stories" PSP title, or major PS/XBOX game, hence has been given a trivial name and probably a much weaker plot. I hope someone has some evidence that suggests otherwise...

Flesh-n-Bone
  • Flesh-n-Bone

OG

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 07 August 2008 - 07:00 PM

Advance was actually related to III in some way even though not many characters returned aside from Asuka and 8-Ball. It was set 1 year before.

As for Chinatown Wars I bet it's a low budget DS game like Advance was, I just feel so.

Smiley001
  • Smiley001

Abandoned all hope...

• Members

Posted 07 August 2008 - 07:14 PM Edited by Smiley001, 07 August 2008 - 07:21 PM.

Yet another pointless topic where people claim that CW will be some low-budget ass game... For god sake, don't forget that it is being developed by the same people who brought you the Stories series and for the record, Flesh-n-Bone, Advance was a failure because of GBA's hardware limitations and it was made by completely different people...
Why do you all call yourselves GTA fans even if you don't have the slightest faith in R*?
That aside, I potentially think that CW is going to be top-down because I feel that moving around in 3D using the touch screen is going to be pretty tough

Flesh-n-Bone
  • Flesh-n-Bone

OG

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 07 August 2008 - 07:16 PM

R* is the best gaming company and I support them, but I just don't expect much from a DS, for me it's just like the GBA, but in case they would do it 3D then it deserves to be developed for another platform (PC preferably).

Smiley001
  • Smiley001

Abandoned all hope...

• Members

Posted 07 August 2008 - 07:23 PM

QUOTE (Flesh-n-Bone @ Aug 7 2008, 19:16)
in case they would do it 3D then it deserves to be developed for another platform (PC preferably).

What's the point if you already have GTA 2 on the PC biggrin.gif
I fear it visually won't surpass GTA 2 but it very well can in gameplay

the_don94
  • the_don94

iHack™

• Members

Posted 07 August 2008 - 07:43 PM

From what I've read, it's set in Liberty City and you'll be uncovering the the history and such of the Triad gang.

With the use of the DS touch screen, players will navigate their way through the streets as they uncover the truth behind an epic tale of crime and corruption within the Triad crime syndicate, delivering the unprecedented amount of depth that has become a true trademark of the franchise.

Link

Tartequin
  • Tartequin

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 August 2008 - 07:48 PM

It would be great if we had GTA3 and GTA:LCS rendition of Liberty City. I think it would be interesting to see how the city and the inhabitants evolved (Staunton Plaza, the Leone Family, Shoreside Vale tunnels...).

QwertyAAA
  • QwertyAAA

Ceci n'est pas une pipe, c'est le logo de Rockstar

• Members

Posted 07 August 2008 - 08:09 PM

Actually, GTA Advance was pretty good. I mean, it did have a good storyline. And it did manage to pack the whole LC onto GBA.

Tartequin
  • Tartequin

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 August 2008 - 08:22 PM

QUOTE (QwertyAAA @ Aug 7 2008, 22:09)
Actually, GTA Advance was pretty good. I mean, it did have a good storyline. And it did manage to pack the whole LC onto GBA.

You're right. I would like Rockstar to convert it to a 3D game.

Coolyfett
  • Coolyfett

Hustler

• Members

Posted 08 August 2008 - 03:26 AM

QUOTE (epoxi @ Aug 7 2008, 18:56)
From what I remember, GTA:Advance was set in the city of Liberty City, but had nothing to do with the traditional GTAIII geography, and very little to do with the well-known characters of the trilogy. The game was just a box for R* to tick, so that they had covered all markets (i.e. made some money from Gameboy/Gamecube owners...who traditionally stick to Nintendo...so wouldn't buy PS2/XBOX/PC games).

Considering the generic name, and location "Chinatown." Will this game have any significance in the latest GTAIV series?

I have a feeling GTA:CW will be a disapointment to hardcore GTA players. It'll be a bit of fun, but won't even come close to a "Stories" PSP title, or major PS/XBOX game, hence has been given a trivial name and probably a much weaker plot. I hope someone has some evidence that suggests otherwise...

The subtitle is a matter of personal opinion. I actually like the title. I would compare it more with LCS & VCS, its 2008 no point in walking backwards. It will be fine, consider it the 3rd installment of the portable trilogy. It will matter, Its too much hype and controversy for it not to be connected.

Coolyfett
  • Coolyfett

Hustler

• Members

Posted 08 August 2008 - 03:33 AM

QUOTE (the_don94 @ Aug 7 2008, 19:43)
With the use of the DS touch screen, players will navigate their way through the streets as they uncover the truth behind an epic tale of crime and corruption within the Triad crime syndicate, delivering the unprecedented amount of depth that has become a true trademark of the franchise.

Link

Thats the quote that needs to be posted everywhere!!! Its going to be just like III, San Andreas, Vice City, Liberty City Stories, Vice City Stories & IV. Chinatown War will be just like those games.

Keywords: True Trademark

Mince
  • Mince

Ménage à trois

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 08 August 2008 - 06:18 AM Edited by mincemate003, 08 August 2008 - 06:22 AM.

I myself am actually growing away from the Stories games, VCS used to be my favorite but it's just not that good anymore. I would have to say it's more fun to play the consoles than the stories games.
I'm actually looking foward to CW, I don't have a DS but I think it'll be a bit cheaper than a new PS3/Xbox 360.
But meh, this and IV on PC will be coming out around the same time, right? Darn, i'm never on track with the new GTAs confused.gif . I'll be playing IV while you guys play CW, just like i'm playing SA while you guys play IV now...

GTA3Freak-2001
  • GTA3Freak-2001

Run out of Cake.

• Members

Posted 08 August 2008 - 08:32 AM

QUOTE (Flesh-n-Bone @ Aug 8 2008, 05:46)
R* is the best gaming company and I support them, but I just don't expect much from a DS, for me it's just like the GBA, but in case they would do it 3D then it deserves to be developed for another platform (PC preferably).

The DS is alot more capable then the Game Boy Advance, have you played a DS? The DS has the grunt equal to the Nintendo 64 so it can very easily produce some basic 3D worlds.

I think we just need to wait and see, see some screenshots and more info before we make further judgement. The thing is this game has a good chance of being decent.

epoxi
  • epoxi

Your Mother

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 08 August 2008 - 03:18 PM

QUOTE (GTA3Freak-2001 @ Aug 8 2008, 08:32)
The DS is alot more capable then the Game Boy Advance, have you played a DS? The DS has the grunt equal to the Nintendo 64 so it can very easily produce some basic 3D worlds.

Basic being the operative word.

I find the DS very weak, as I have said, I have copies of games which are known for their impressive graphics on PS2 and PC, but were a major disappointment. The cars in Juiced and Need for Speed are generic blobs which can't even be distinguished from one another, and landscapes which were otherwise lively have been reduced to bland deserts with a few advertising boards.

I don't mean to act like a fanboy, but after seeing Burnout and GTA on PSP, the graphics can be compared to those of the PS2 (only one generation behind), but Nintendo should really have composed something which can at least live up to the GameCube...especially considering the price, which is getting ever closer to the PSP's.

Also, the N64 was the same gen. as the PS1. The PS1 had 2D GTA graphics (GTAII doesn't really count as 3D IMO), hence I think we know what to expect in terms of graphics...

QwertyAAA
  • QwertyAAA

Ceci n'est pas une pipe, c'est le logo de Rockstar

• Members

Posted 08 August 2008 - 07:16 PM

QUOTE (epoxi @ Aug 8 2008, 15:18)
QUOTE (GTA3Freak-2001 @ Aug 8 2008, 08:32)

Basic being the operative word.

I find the DS very weak, as I have said, I have copies of games which are known for their impressive graphics on PS2 and PC, but were a major disappointment. The cars in Juiced and Need for Speed are generic blobs which can't even be distinguished from one another, and landscapes which were otherwise lively have been reduced to bland deserts with a few advertising boards.

I don't mean to act like a fanboy, but after seeing Burnout and GTA on PSP, the graphics can be compared to those of the PS2 (only one generation behind), but Nintendo should really have composed something which can at least live up to the GameCube...especially considering the price, which is getting ever closer to the PSP's.

Also, the N64 was the same gen. as the PS1. The PS1 had 2D GTA graphics (GTAII doesn't really count as 3D IMO), hence I think we know what to expect in terms of graphics...

Quote from Wiki:

"The system's 3D hardware performs transform and lighting, texture-coordinate transformation, texture mapping, alpha blending, anti-aliasing, cel shading, and z-buffering; however, it uses point (nearest neighbor) texture filtering, leading to some titles having a blocky appearance. The system is theoretically capable of rendering about 120,000 triangles per second at 60 frames per second, which is comparable to the Nintendo 64.[citation needed] Unlike most 3D hardware, it has a set limit on the number of triangles it can render as part of a single scene; the maximum amount is about 6144 vertices, or 2048 triangles per frame. The 3D hardware is designed to render to a single screen at a time, so rendering 3D to both screens is difficult and decreases performance significantly. The DS is generally more limited by its polygon budget than by its pixel fill rate. There are also 512 kilobytes of texture memory per screen, and the maximum texture size is 1024x1024 pixels."

Basically, we're expecting something similar to GTA 2 or GTA Advance. Cube-y 3D, modern textures, and a fun storyline. It's obvious that it will be in 3D, but we don't know what perspective it'll use.

And I'm thinking the bottom screen will be used for weapon selection and map browsing.

Also, the PSP is just as good as a PS2, minus a few high-resolution textures.

Coolyfett
  • Coolyfett

Hustler

• Members

Posted 09 August 2008 - 07:03 PM

I expect Chinatown Wars to be better if not exactly alike Vice City Stories. It will matter at the end of the day. Too much hype about this game and its only August.

Mince
  • Mince

Ménage à trois

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 09 August 2008 - 11:03 PM

I think the hype is coming from the fact that it's on the DS and the fact that no one even excpected 2 GTAs to come out in one year.
Vice City Stories was already obvious, since there had been a LCS. It was also obvious that it would be released for the PSP.

Coolyfett
  • Coolyfett

Hustler

• Members

Posted 10 August 2008 - 04:54 AM

2 GTA games coming out in the same year has never happened before? Interesting, sounds like a lot goes into these games. Who is to know how long they have been working on Chinatown Wars.

Mince
  • Mince

Ménage à trois

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 10 August 2008 - 02:27 PM

Well, okay, San Andreas and GTA Advance came out at the same time. And the ports for III, SA, and LCS came out in the same year as another GTA game.

Rashon.
  • Rashon.

What Comes Around Goes Around

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 10 August 2008 - 03:51 PM

Not sure if it will. I remember there was large hype for Vice City Stories and then when it came out, it never even got much glory. Look now. The PSP GTAs now don't even have their own independent category on the forums anymore.

Coolyfett
  • Coolyfett

Hustler

• Members

Posted 11 August 2008 - 01:42 AM

QUOTE (Rashon. @ Aug 10 2008, 15:51)
Not sure if it will. I remember there was large hype for Vice City Stories and then when it came out, it never even got much glory. Look now. The PSP GTAs now don't even have their own independent category on the forums anymore.

Their under the portable section, They all have their own forum.

Rashon.
  • Rashon.

What Comes Around Goes Around

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 August 2008 - 03:20 PM

QUOTE (Coolyfett @ Aug 10 2008, 21:42)

Yes, but at first, they were never under a section.

Mzeppelin
  • Mzeppelin

The Don

• Members

Posted 12 August 2008 - 04:36 PM

I hope it won't have anything that effects the other storylines, because I will never play this game. I bet it will suck anyway so I'm not worried about it.

Coolyfett
  • Coolyfett

Hustler

• Members

Posted 13 August 2008 - 12:31 AM

QUOTE (Rashon. @ Aug 12 2008, 15:20)
QUOTE (Coolyfett @ Aug 10 2008, 21:42)

Yes, but at first, they were never under a section.

Well...now they are...and it makes sense to do so.

Coolyfett
  • Coolyfett

Hustler

• Members

Posted 13 August 2008 - 12:49 AM

QUOTE (Mzeppelin @ Aug 12 2008, 16:36)
I hope it won't have anything that effects the other storylines, because I will never play this game. I bet it will suck anyway so I'm not worried about it.

I think you ARE WORRIED..plus you are a troll and a hater. Negative Negative Negative....If your not worried about Chinatown Wars why do you keep posting in the Chinatown forum??? Hmmmm sounds like a troll. If your a REAL GTA fan then.......???

I have read ALL the info on this game that has been released, they gave us ANSWERS to many questions, yet the lames are still in doubt, the only difference from Liberty City Stories & Vice City Stories is a NEW CHARACTER & STORY...Confirmed...3D free roaming...Confirmed...Touch Screen used to navigate around...Confirmed. The "traditional" free roaming GTA fans have come to KNOW & LOVE----so what does that mean??

ok

GTA 1 = 2D
GTA 2 = 2D
GTA Advanced = 2D
GTA III = 3D
GTA Vice City = 3D
GTA San Andreas = 3D
GTA Liberty City Stories = 3D
GTA Vice City Stories = 3D
GTA IV = 3D
GTA Chinatown Wars = ??? ahm NO its 3D as well.

9 games, 6 are 3D 3(old ones) are not. Which one refers to TRADITIONAL game play?? Morons need to stop posting, Maybe the story will be lame, maybe the character will be lame, hey maybe it will be too short, those are good arguments. The 2D v 3D is played the f*ck out already, cause we know what we are getting.

How the hell would it effect the other storylines? Do you mean be connected to the other storylines? Cool if you will never play the game, why the f*ck are you talking? lamer. Please fanboy go jump off a high place and land on something sharp for us. I'm PSP owner so you don't represent me to the least, but I'm also a fan of GTA and hope the brand grows. Come better next time.

nutboy
  • nutboy

The Badman

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 August 2008 - 01:49 AM

QUOTE (Coolyfett @ Aug 13 2008, 00:49)
QUOTE (Mzeppelin @ Aug 12 2008, 16:36)

I think you ARE WORRIED..plus you are a troll and a hater. Negative Negative Negative....If your not worried about Chinatown Wars why do you keep posting in the Chinatown forum??? Hmmmm sounds like a troll. If your a REAL GTA fan then.......???

I have read ALL the info on this game that has been released, they gave us ANSWERS to many questions, yet the lames are still in doubt, the only difference from Liberty City Stories & Vice City Stories is a NEW CHARACTER & STORY...Confirmed...3D free roaming...Confirmed...Touch Screen used to navigate around...Confirmed. The "traditional" free roaming GTA fans have come to KNOW & LOVE----so what does that mean??

ok

GTA 1 = 2D
GTA 2 = 2D
GTA Advanced = 2D
GTA III = 3D
GTA Vice City = 3D
GTA San Andreas = 3D
GTA Liberty City Stories = 3D
GTA Vice City Stories = 3D
GTA IV = 3D
GTA Chinatown Wars = ??? ahm NO its 3D as well.

9 games, 6 are 3D 3(old ones) are not. Which one refers to TRADITIONAL game play?? Morons need to stop posting, Maybe the story will be lame, maybe the character will be lame, hey maybe it will be too short, those are good arguments. The 2D v 3D is played the f*ck out already, cause we know what we are getting.

How the hell would it effect the other storylines? Do you mean be connected to the other storylines? Cool if you will never play the game, why the f*ck are you talking? lamer. Please fanboy go jump off a high place and land on something sharp for us. I'm PSP owner so you don't represent me to the least, but I'm also a fan of GTA and hope the brand grows. Come better next time.

Dude cooly the heck down. All he said was that he didnt want to miss out on a game he doesnt plan on playing. Its only what he thinks. In my opinion I think its going to be in 3d just not good 3d. I hate the graphics from the ds but my sister has one so she might get it. Personally I think theres just no way it can rival with the stories in anyway. What if we just want to check up on the game. Just because he doubts the game will be good doesnt mean he should ignore it completely.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 13 August 2008 - 07:42 AM

If it's far worse then the Stories PSP series from the same Gameboy designers at Rockstar Leeds, I will have to pass, but I honestly don't want to.

Angelo Leone
  • Angelo Leone

The Mafia Superstar

• BUSTED!

Posted 14 August 2008 - 09:24 PM

I hope it's not in GTA3 canon.The Triads from GTA3 sucked.It'd only be good if you are a Triad that defects to the Leone Family or the Yakuza(kinda like how Claude left the Leones in GTA3)

If it's a Triad syndicate in the GTA4 canon,then it'd be worth playing.

Gabriel Constantin
  • Gabriel Constantin

Horror Punk Fiend

• BUSTED!

Posted 14 August 2008 - 09:32 PM

I agree, GTA IV's Triads are a lot more realistic and interesting than GTA III's.

I hope it's not in GTA3 canon.The Triads from GTA3 sucked.It'd only be good if you are a Triad that defects to the Leone Family or the Yakuza(kinda like how Claude left the Leones in GTA3)

Who knows? Nobody said we were going to play as The Traids, or even as an Asian character. For all we know we could be playing an member of The Leone Family (I'm personally rooting against it, but it's still possible and Rockstar already knows it's a winning formula). We already know The Triads and The Leones are fighting for control of Chinatown. Therefore it could work.

Coolyfett
  • Coolyfett

Hustler

• Members

Posted 14 August 2008 - 10:22 PM

QUOTE (Angelo Leone @ Aug 14 2008, 21:24)
If it's a Triad syndicate in the GTA4 canon,then it'd be worth playing.

This you are getting. Its based in modern day Liberty City, GTA IV is the most modern.

The Chinatown Wars layout will be limited version of GTA IV's Chinatown.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users