Photo

Gta 3 Map and Gta 4 Map

35 replies to this topic
Niko Belik
  • Niko Belik

chelsea!

• Members

Posted 05 August 2008 - 08:32 AM

I was at my friends house playing Gta 4 and he was playing Gta 3 and we both reallised, both liberty city.
So i looked at Gta 4 map and he looked at Gta 3 map off the internet and they are both completely different.
Whats up with that?

saintdave
  • saintdave

saintdave™

• Members

Posted 05 August 2008 - 08:36 AM

It’s a different GTA universe. GTA doesn’t follow the GTA 3 cannon (VC, SA, LCS, VCS) it’s an entirely separate city (with the same name).

Niko Belik
  • Niko Belik

chelsea!

• Members

Posted 05 August 2008 - 08:39 AM

Its good that they did change the world other wise it would've gone liberty city stories to the exactly the same place.

MisterEuro
  • MisterEuro

Playa

• Members

Posted 06 August 2008 - 11:41 AM

I hate when people think that the GTA3 Liberty and GTAIV liberty are the same.

It f*cking pisses me off when people cant figure out that the maps are completely diffrent when looking at the trailer.

Flesh-n-Bone
  • Flesh-n-Bone

OG

• Members

Posted 06 August 2008 - 11:51 AM

I personally got an idea, that the Liberty City for GTA3 is at north-east of the GTA 4 map because Francis International Airport is at the east-end of LC (GTA4) and it's at the south-west end of GTA3 map.

QwertyAAA
  • QwertyAAA

Ceci n'est pas une pipe, c'est le logo de Rockstar

• Members

Posted 06 August 2008 - 03:48 PM

QUOTE (Niko Belik @ Aug 5 2008, 08:39)
Its good that they did change the world other wise it would've gone liberty city stories to the exactly the same place.

Hm? Are you saying that it would've been the next LCS if it had taken place there, or are you saying that LCS isn't in the same place as GTA III?

Flesh-n-Bone, no. Just no.

rugbyrules
  • rugbyrules

Snitch

• Members

Posted 07 August 2008 - 12:15 AM

Interesting point Flesh n Bone I think maybe there are two parts of Liberty city maybe the GTA 4 Liberty city is the modern one and the GTA III Liberty city is the old Liberty... Or Rockstar completely got rid of the GTA III Liberty city in this new world.

boothy
  • boothy

I'm reforming. See you in some other user name...

• BUSTED!

Posted 07 August 2008 - 12:31 AM

old liberty city was sucked into a vortex, end of

The GTA Guy
  • The GTA Guy

The Frisker

• Members

Posted 07 August 2008 - 05:27 PM

GTA 3 canon is the old world... It is nothing to do with GTA IV Liberty City...
THEY ARE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT CITIES! THEY JUST HAVE THE SAME NAME!!! Why people dont just realise it?

thecommander
  • thecommander

You can forget about the miscarrige or keep drinking.

• Members

Posted 11 August 2008 - 02:41 AM

QUOTE (rugbyrules @ Aug 7 2008, 00:15)
Interesting point Flesh n Bone I think maybe there are two parts of Liberty city maybe the GTA 4 Liberty city is the modern one and the GTA III Liberty city is the old Liberty... Or Rockstar completely got rid of the GTA III Liberty city in this new world.

I like to think of it that way because that was my first grand theft auto, and it got me hooked.

ivfreak
  • ivfreak

Mx foreva =)

• Members

Posted 13 August 2008 - 09:55 AM

I Like to think that a nuclear warhead hit Liberty City and its entire land mass changed and the whole city was rebuilt, not even closely resembling the City from 2001. It has a different feel with different lighting and the city has been repopulated with never before seen people from nowhere...

NAWT!

rct3twins
  • rct3twins

Nerd.

• Members

Posted 15 August 2008 - 03:32 PM

QUOTE (MisterEuro @ Aug 6 2008, 06:41)
I hate when people think that the GTA3 Liberty and GTAIV liberty are the same.

It f*cking pisses me off when people cant figure out that the maps are completely diffrent when looking at the trailer.

Yeah, true. Same here.

okei
  • okei

Dressed to kill like I'm Gianni Versace

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 15 August 2008 - 11:36 PM

gta 3 = liberty city

gta iv = just pretend it's some other city

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

Godfather

• Australia
  • Best Member in an Official Group 2012

Posted 19 August 2008 - 05:54 AM Edited by Miamivicecity, 19 August 2008 - 10:42 AM.

They are completely different.

I mean seriously look at the maps. Are you telling me the whole geographical layout was changed in 7 years? Hmmmmm.

The only thing the same is the name, and some other minor references. In this "universe" GTA III's Liberty City does not exist.

macorules94
  • macorules94

MACEDONIAN KING

• BUSTED!

Posted 19 August 2008 - 08:09 AM

you cant get thicker than this

wesley545
  • wesley545

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 19 August 2008 - 09:19 AM

QUOTE (ivfreak @ Aug 13 2008, 09:55)
I Like to think that a nuclear warhead hit Liberty City and its entire land mass changed and the whole city was rebuilt, not even closely resembling the City from 2001. It has a different feel with different lighting and the city has been repopulated with never before seen people from nowhere...

NAWT!

I like to think that people would stop making posts like you just did.

Ph3L1z14n0
  • Ph3L1z14n0

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 27 August 2008 - 10:42 PM

And why the hell is people assuming that the IV and III stories are different cannons?? that was never said, what was said was that none of the previous characters were returning, don't mix things up people.

QwertyAAA
  • QwertyAAA

Ceci n'est pas une pipe, c'est le logo de Rockstar

• Members

Posted 28 August 2008 - 03:38 AM

QUOTE (Ph3L1z14n0 @ Aug 27 2008, 22:42)
And why the hell is people assuming that the IV and III stories are different cannons?? that was never said, what was said was that none of the previous characters were returning, don't mix things up people.

It's kind of obvious when you see that the game world is completely different.

Grand Theft Auto Dude
  • Grand Theft Auto Dude

• Members

Posted 28 August 2008 - 06:36 AM

QUOTE (rugbyrules @ Aug 7 2008, 10:15)
Or Rockstar completely got rid of the GTA III Liberty city in this new world.

Bingo!

goatsrus
  • goatsrus

Straight Up Gangsta

• Members

Posted 28 August 2008 - 08:03 AM

wow!! the pointlessity of this thread is amazing. I mean seriously, people still haven't figured out that there are TWO Liberty City's? Think about it this way, just because the Sopranos and Sex and the City are both set in New York, doesn't mean they are the same story is going on. When was the last time you saw Tony Soprano killing some poor mother f*cker in the background of Sex and the City.

Ph3L1z14n0
  • Ph3L1z14n0

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 28 August 2008 - 03:13 PM

QUOTE (QwertyAAA @ Aug 28 2008, 03:38)
QUOTE (Ph3L1z14n0 @ Aug 27 2008, 22:42)

It's kind of obvious when you see that the game world is completely different.

It's a REVAMPED Liberty City, take this for example, the story for Saints Row it's still the same, it doesn't mean it's a different canon just because they built Stillwater from scratch.

sumadinac92
  • sumadinac92

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 September 2008 - 01:27 AM

When I looked at the old map of Liberty city and compared it to new one I acctualy found it resembles it.GTA IV map is like mirror version of GTA 3 map.Evereything is there only now what was on the west in GTA 3 now is on the East.Broker,Dukes and Bohan resemble to parts that made up Shoreside Wale.Bohan is acctualy Wichita Gardens and it was connected to Shoreside Vale with Cocrane Dam.Algonquin is obviously Staunton Island,and Alderney is Portland.Afterall there is old Salvatore's mansion in Alderney and Francis International is in Dukes.This proves my point.

Grand Theft Auto Dude
  • Grand Theft Auto Dude

• Members

Posted 03 September 2008 - 02:46 AM

QUOTE (goatsrus @ Aug 28 2008, 18:03)
wow!! the pointlessity of this thread is amazing. I mean seriously, people still haven't figured out that there are TWO Liberty City's? Think about it this way, just because the Sopranos and Sex and the City are both set in New York, doesn't mean they are the same story is going on. When was the last time you saw Tony Soprano killing some poor mother f*cker in the background of Sex and the City.

In a dream, actually.

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

Godfather

• Australia

Posted 03 September 2008 - 04:35 AM

QUOTE (sumadinac92 @ Sep 3 2008, 12:27)
When I looked at the old map of Liberty city and compared it to new one I acctualy found it resembles it.GTA IV map is like mirror version of GTA 3 map.Evereything is there only now what was on the west in GTA 3 now is on the East.Broker,Dukes and Bohan resemble to parts that made up Shoreside Wale.Bohan is acctualy Wichita Gardens and it was connected to Shoreside Vale with Cocrane Dam.Algonquin is obviously Staunton Island,and Alderney is Portland.Afterall there is old Salvatore's mansion in Alderney and Francis International is in Dukes.This proves my point.

Yeah, but it still doesn't change the fact that this IS a new Liberty City.

I admit some parts remind me slightly of the old one, but it's obvious as hell they are completely different.

If R* had of called LC in IV, I don't know "Empire City" or something there would be no confusion.

Hodgey.
  • Hodgey.

GTA III, VC, SA, LCS, VCS, IV, TLAD, TBoGT and V all 100%

• Members
  • England
  • Best Avatar 2012
    Winner of Euro 2012 Prediction League

Posted 04 September 2008 - 11:54 AM

QUOTE (Grand Theft Auto Dude @ Aug 28 2008, 07:36)

Bingo!

LOL, i cant understand why people are still wondering about the original LC somehow being connected to the IV LC. Like people have said its like a whole new world so there is no connection between IV and III or VC,SA,LCS and VCS.

Thats why no characters from the past returned like in previous games. Im glad that R* went to a new cannon because how many times could you bring back old characters without getting the story completey confusing. And perhaps wrong.

But somehow Lazlow found the 'new world' when none else did.

lloydo
  • lloydo

Count

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 September 2008 - 04:29 PM

Twas modernised in IV because of terrorist attacks.

Ph3L1z14n0
  • Ph3L1z14n0

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 05 September 2008 - 11:18 PM

QUOTE (Hodgey1989 @ Sep 4 2008, 11:54)
QUOTE (Grand Theft Auto Dude @ Aug 28 2008, 07:36)

Bingo!

LOL, i cant understand why people are still wondering about the original LC somehow being connected to the IV LC. Like people have said its like a whole new world so there is no connection between IV and III or VC,SA,LCS and VCS.

Thats why no characters from the past returned like in previous games. Im glad that R* went to a new cannon because how many times could you bring back old characters without getting the story completey confusing. And perhaps wrong.

But somehow Lazlow found the 'new world' when none else did.

I repeat again, there is no real evidence that both are different cannons, Liberty City was just revamped, take a look at Saints Row, the city was also rebuilt but it's the exact same story.

kietotheworld
  • kietotheworld

Hater Player

• Members

Posted 06 September 2008 - 12:32 AM

The GTA III/LCS Liberty City is not the original, the one from the original GTA is, and again, it is completely different. Hope this helps.

HeliosNYC
  • HeliosNYC

All signs point to PBM

• BUSTED!

Posted 06 September 2008 - 01:02 AM

I love how people make up this bullsh*t about a new "universe". it's also great how "canon" is such a f*cking buzzword here.

GTA IV is more like Superman Returns, or Halloween: H20. Fresh starts, and there's some retconning, but still the same universe. GTA IV isn't like Batman Begins or The Incredible Hulk - a complete reboot that tosses out everything before it.

the map is ONLY different because Rockstar wanted to make a map that really felt like NYC; they didn't feel as if the GTA 3 map "did it justice". it has nothing to do with the story.

rockstar also explained the absence of known characters, chalking it up to the fact that most of them would have died by the time GTA 4 takes place; this was in an IGN interview, I believe. but let's not forget Lazlow, who somehow has memories of his existence in 2001. if this was a new universe, how could he remember Chatterbox? lazlow is part of the IV-era Liberty City; he's not some narrator character who breaks the fourth wall or anything. he's the same Lazlow that was there in GTA 3. the map has just been retconned, and most characters are being "forgotten" so we have a new roster of characters to start with. not to mention Sprunk, Cluckin' Bell, MeTV, or the tons of other brands that still exist in circa-2007 Liberty City, or all the vehicle manufacturers that still exist. hell, even the Liberty Tree is still around. you can't have a f*cking reboot if you bring back THIS much stuff, I don't care how many characters are missing.

so spare me your tired "LOL NEW CANON BLAH BLAH BLAH" crap already.

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

Godfather

• Australia

Posted 07 September 2008 - 01:02 AM Edited by Miamivicecity, 07 September 2008 - 01:21 AM.

Are you forgetting that Lazlow is actually a real person who has portrayed himself in every GTA he's been in? His existence in this era doesn't prove that it's still the same universe, since he's not an actual character.

Alot of the stuff carried over is for nostalgic purposes IMO. Or R* got lazy, and couldn't be bothered thinking of other things.

The only way I would've been convinced that IV is still apart of the same universe is if a past character physically returned (Not some radio talk host), or if a prior event related to any of the GTA III era GTAs was mentioned in some way. Now since none of this happens in IV I think it is a new universe, with some of the "old" carried over.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users