Photo

Chapters

8 replies to this topic
Sergi
  • Sergi

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 28 July 2008 - 10:49 PM

The ideas for Chapters for GTA would be perfect. That way you can make your own story while following the storyline by various paths and also you can see how time progresses the game. That way everyone could have different stories for their game but by still having the same overall plot but the plot has different branches.

Examples:
Prolouge: This would be the game's very 1st cutscene breaking the gamer into the overall beginging plot of the game. It also tells the beginning of the protagonist of the game

Introduction: This could be a string of missions consisting of 1-5 missions getting players to know the overall controls of the game and letting them meet a few people along the way. This is where branching first starts. Say at the beginning the game we meet a contact and he tells us to meet himif we want a job but we also have another contact telling us to meet him for a job. Depending on who we pick th story plays that way.

Then this is where Chapters Come in. Say the game has 95 storyline missions not counting the Intro missions.This is also where the years systme could come in.

Chapter 1: The Beginning: this is where we start to really expand the playing filed and the overall story in started. Say the game begins in 1999 and consist of 22 missions.Well we play how see fit and that affects our outcome. You can decide to play it straightfoward like previous GTAs and only make decisions when you have to or you can make your own decisions like trying to kill a contact to take over his business.

Chapter 2: this would take place lets say 1 year later in 2000. Depending on your chices would affect the game. If you killed certain contacs taht had criminal orginizations and you ran their crews then you may be a top dog now or you may not but those outcomes also depend on your progress outide of storyline missions like side missions such as drug running, pimping, extortion etc. Also buildings that were just being built in chapter 1 may be done or close to done. This chapter has 30 missions.

Chapter 3: This chapter would be the same as chapter 2 was to chapter 1.Depending on your choices the game's world will be affected but the overall storyline will still apply. This takes place 6 Months later and let's say during Chapter 2 you did all your storyline missions but you did little on the side missions to help expand your empire if you decided to pay it like that. Well if you decided to have an empire and you did little to keep it going in those 6 months you may have lost alot of businesses because other gangs moved in. You can spend chapter 3 trying to rebuild your orginization or just playing straightfowar or trying to venture into other things.This could last 35 missions.

Chaper 4: The Climax: Would be shortly after Chapter 3 like maybe 2 weeks and once again depending on your choices your game world will be affected by you. This will be the shortest of the other chapters but have the most excitment and most plot twist. This would consist of maybe 5 missions.

Chapter 5: The Finale: This wouldtake place maybe a few days to a month after Chapter4. This would be final missions and like all the other chapters depending on your choices throughoutthe game will show on how your finale plays. After you beat the final boss yo get a cutscebe

End: This would be equal to the Introduction and would be the end game cutscenea few days, months or years after the last cutscene so you can see how your game turned out. After The End like usual GTAs the world is open for you but will take place in the year when the cutscene takes place. So if it takes place 1 year after Chapter 5 and Chapter 5 was in 2008 then the open world would take place in 2009 but no new stores or anything would open because the game is over so time won't advance anymore but now you can still do all the things you could do in the game except missions. So all the side missions and things are still here and if you never built a criminal empire in the game you can do it now so the game world will always feel living but just no time advancements would occur anymore.

joemcg15
  • joemcg15

Gabby Agbonlahor=Legend

• Members

Posted 28 July 2008 - 11:21 PM

this would add a lot more replay value icon14.gif icon14.gif icon14.gif

Sergi
  • Sergi

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 28 July 2008 - 11:24 PM

QUOTE (joemcg15 @ Jul 28 2008, 23:21)
this would add a lot more replay value icon14.gif icon14.gif icon14.gif

Thanks. I think in my mind the few thread I have posted in the Next board have been more innovative and original then the majority of these threads and they mostly go ignored.

MichiganMuscle77
  • MichiganMuscle77

Hustler

• Members

Posted 29 July 2008 - 01:21 AM

The only REAL thing preventing anyone from making a truly dynamic story mode where you can literally create your own story is the fact that they have to hire voice actors to rehearse lines. Maybe one day in the next 20 years when automated speech is perfected to the point where the AI can choose the correct words and phrase grammatically correct sentences and actually speak them without sounding like a robot... maybe.

But the resources required for each voice actor to say every word in the English language in each emphasis is simply... unheard of.

Theoretically, however... the game could be 100% dynamic were dialog to be left out entirely. It wouldn't be much more of a stretch to program AI to react to your actions in a certain set of ways based upon any given variables at any given time... if the AI could add up every last variable and determine the correct course of action based on those measurements, you could play the game your own way and quite literally experience it however you chose to.

See Spore, for example.

But I think we're asking too much. I think GTA spoiled us with the idea of sandbox game play... now our desires and imaginations are never quite fulfilled. Before when games were extremely linear, it was easy to appreciate a game that took you through a carefully designed experience - a la Half-Life - but since GTA 3 and its successors, gamers are craving and asking for a more open ended experience.

This is evidenced in Half-Life 2: Episode 2, where the climactic boss battle at the end makes a futile attempt at creating an open ended experience. I'm not knocking the battle, it was still incredibly intense, but I can't help but think that Valve was attempting to cater to the modern gamers appetite for the ability to choose how you play the game given to you.

It's not wrong of us to ask more from game developers... but I do consider it a bit selfish of us when we're handed a masterpiece linear gaming experience and completely disregard it because it's not a virtual sandbox.

Tony Mozzarelli 80
  • Tony Mozzarelli 80

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 29 July 2008 - 01:51 AM

That would be an awesome idea, it think anything that offers us more choice is good, it gets you more involved with the story. I'd also like the ability to influence the protagonists personality, like KOTOR and Mass Effect, some people like to be good and moral like Niko, but i prefer to be a completely ruthless c*nt

Southside Dukes Ballas
  • Southside Dukes Ballas

Thug

• Members

Posted 29 July 2008 - 03:51 AM

QUOTE (MichiganMuscle77 @ Jul 29 2008, 01:21)
The only REAL thing preventing anyone from making a truly dynamic story mode where you can literally create your own story is the fact that they have to hire voice actors to rehearse lines. Maybe one day in the next 20 years when automated speech is perfected to the point where the AI can choose the correct words and phrase grammatically correct sentences and actually speak them without sounding like a robot... maybe.

But the resources required for each voice actor to say every word in the English language in each emphasis is simply... unheard of.

Theoretically, however... the game could be 100% dynamic were dialog to be left out entirely. It wouldn't be much more of a stretch to program AI to react to your actions in a certain set of ways based upon any given variables at any given time... if the AI could add up every last variable and determine the correct course of action based on those measurements, you could play the game your own way and quite literally experience it however you chose to.

See Spore, for example.

But I think we're asking too much. I think GTA spoiled us with the idea of sandbox game play... now our desires and imaginations are never quite fulfilled. Before when games were extremely linear, it was easy to appreciate a game that took you through a carefully designed experience - a la Half-Life - but since GTA 3 and its successors, gamers are craving and asking for a more open ended experience.

This is evidenced in Half-Life 2: Episode 2, where the climactic boss battle at the end makes a futile attempt at creating an open ended experience. I'm not knocking the battle, it was still incredibly intense, but I can't help but think that Valve was attempting to cater to the modern gamers appetite for the ability to choose how you play the game given to you.

It's not wrong of us to ask more from game developers... but I do consider it a bit selfish of us when we're handed a masterpiece linear gaming experience and completely disregard it because it's not a virtual sandbox.

His idea was easily one of the most original on this whole board. But anyways what he said is actually possible but maybe not to such an extent. It could easily be implented in the next GTA and if following the same pattern as last gen then by the 3rd major title it will be even better. but it also takes time.

This gen will easily be the longest because Sony and Microsoft would be screwing themselves by releasing another console before 2012. But I say this gen will last until 2014. So in that case IV comes out in 2008, GTA: Next 2010 or 2011, then the last GTA for this gen in 2012-2013. So by 2013 this idea should be even more dynamic but still maybe not as unique as Sergi idea.

This is easily more possible then GTA: USA or GTA:World, where we'd still only get a few cities or states to roam in, by 2014 or 2015 when the next Sony and Microsoft consoles show up.

either way this was a very good idea. But also your statement about this being possible without dialouge wouldn't work at all. Then there would be no voice acting and that would mean the story would be harder to progress without hearing voice actors talk.

MichiganMuscle77
  • MichiganMuscle77

Hustler

• Members

Posted 30 July 2008 - 12:06 AM

QUOTE (Southside Dukes Ballas @ Jul 29 2008, 03:51)
His idea was easily one of the most original on this whole board. But anyways what he said is actually possible but maybe not to such an extent. It could easily be implented in the next GTA and if following the same pattern as last gen then by the 3rd major title it will be even better. but it also takes time.

This gen will easily be the longest because Sony and Microsoft would be screwing themselves by releasing another console before 2012. But I say this gen will last until 2014. So in that case IV comes out in 2008, GTA: Next 2010 or 2011, then the last GTA for this gen in 2012-2013. So by 2013 this idea should be even more dynamic but still maybe not as unique as Sergi idea.

This is easily more possible then GTA: USA or GTA:World, where we'd still only get a few cities or states to roam in, by 2014 or 2015 when the next Sony and Microsoft consoles show up.

either way this was a very good idea. But also your statement about this being possible without dialouge wouldn't work at all. Then there would be no voice acting and that would mean the story would be harder to progress without hearing voice actors talk.

Hey, don't get me wrong, I wasn't knocking the idea... simply bringing it back to reality. I'm sorry if that seems assholish, but I believe that when you give someone boundaries... they are likely to figure out a way to get past them.

Don't consider it discouragement, consider it to be ENCOURAGEMENT.

Guanxi
  • Guanxi

Thug

• Members

Posted 30 July 2008 - 04:38 PM

I've also thought about branching story archs this gen in Grand Theft Auto. I was very disappointed in how unprogressive and linear both the mission design, mission environments and story progression was with GTA IV. What's the point of choices that don't effect the gameplay or the story (albeit ending) whatsoever. But these are the first steps towards a more freeform and individualized experience in my view.

I'd love a new gta to have a similar diologue system to mass effect. Imagine walking up to any ped in the game and having the same level of interaction as Mass Effect, and being able to shape the cutscenes and the story through your personal diologue choices; which has the potential for almost endless replay value.

Having all those choices of diolgue didn't dilute the quality of the story but it was very linear underneath it all - all the important events were pre-renderd cutscenes and regardless of all your choices, you are funnelled through almost exactly the same story. It seems the story is only starting to branch (rudamentally) at the beginning of mass effect 2 based upon several important choices in ME 1.

The way I could see branches working in GTA IV No. 2 Is say there are 30 characters AND a main story which cannot be manipulated involving 15 character. However, several choice you make along the way dictate which of the 15 side-story characters are available to you in your spare time when not playing through the main game. Main character unlock friendships, side characters unlock additional quests.

If a side character dies, you don't get access to the other side characters he is connected to. Upon completing his quest you unlock another side quest but related to the choices or actions you take. All of this can be completed at any time extra-curricular to the main story. Like a more advanced version of random characters.

After attempting something smaller like this, could they then attempt full blown story branching which dictates the entire game. Also players need to get used to the concept and how it works in gta as well as the developers.

Jason Stead
  • Jason Stead

• Members

Posted 31 July 2008 - 06:34 PM

replay value would go throw the roof, and probably beyond. Unlikely to happen thought. cryani.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users