Photo

GTA Trilogy worth buying?

42 replies to this topic
Dogbreath
  • Dogbreath

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 28 July 2008 - 04:03 PM

I just finished playing GTA 4 and am pondering buying the Trilogy pack that has GTA 3, Vice City, and San Andreas. Not sure if I will enjoy them though now after playing 4, especially since I have not played any of the older GTA games before

I don't have any problem with older games and older graphics, I dust off old games all the time for my PC and original XBOX. I just wonder if I will be too busy noticing the the dated graphics and game mechanics to really enjoy the games in the Trilogy. I had a similar problem with Warcraft 2. It was one of my favorite games back in the day and decided to give it another play though after some friends got me into World of Warcraft. I got about 2 or 3 missions into it before I quit. The dated graphics and game play just didn't hold up anymore after I had played Starcraft, Warcraft 3, and WoW.

Anyway, I'm just looking for some opinions from those of you who are familiar with the older GTA games. Do they still hold up after 7 years and GTA 4 or did I miss my window to truly enjoy those games?

stef_92
  • stef_92

GTA3 Freak

• Members

Posted 28 July 2008 - 04:36 PM

You have played GTA4 and no one of the older versions!!!??? mercie_blink.gif Man you are crazy. Don't wait and buy them. If you have some difficults you can visit my site for help or just write here. The Demarest site (in web.archive.org) will help you too.

GTArv
  • GTArv

#

• Members

Posted 28 July 2008 - 04:50 PM Edited by GTArv, 28 July 2008 - 04:53 PM.

Definitely worth it. Each of these games have a different story line, and a unique atmosphere.

I'd suggest that you go for the PC versions; the graphics are better on the PC. I've read about PS2 gamers buying SA again for the PC just to play with better graphics.

To be honest, the graphics were never an issue for me. I was to busy enjoying the rest of the game. Well I really can't say if you'll feel the same; I last played GTA3 about two years ago. I still play VC and SA occasionally.

As for GTA1 and GTA2, you can get them for free here. The graphics are quite dated, but the missions are enjoyable.

Dogbreath
  • Dogbreath

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 28 July 2008 - 05:17 PM

Is there really that big of a difference between the xbox and PC graphics? I don't have a game pad or joystick for my PC and I am guessing I would need/want one for better control. I'd be willing to get one though if the PC version is superior.

Just for the record, I forgot to mention that I have played the original GTA on PlayStation back in the day but never finished it. Unfortunately it disappeared during a move and I never replaced it

Technically I have played GTA 3 but not enough to really get a feel for it. When it came out I didn't have console that could play it. A friend who had an xbox let me try it out for about 5 minutes though. Looked cool but all I really did was drive a few cars and a tank. By the time I did get an xbox GTA was old news and I never got around to getting a copy.

GTArv
  • GTArv

#

• Members

Posted 28 July 2008 - 05:41 PM

Depends on your preferences. I choose the PC version because of the PC's better processing capabilities and modablilty. Also, I'm used to the keyboard and mouse control. I haven't seen the console versions of GTA3 and VC, but I can definitely say that the SA graphics on the PC are far better (When you have the right configuration). As far as PC games are concerned in general, they fare better in graphics.
  • A.C. likes this

boothy
  • boothy

I'm reforming. See you in some other user name...

• BUSTED!

Posted 28 July 2008 - 08:18 PM

QUOTE (Dogbreath @ Jul 28 2008, 16:03)
GTA Trilogy worth buying?

yes.

Flesh-n-Bone
  • Flesh-n-Bone

OG

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 28 July 2008 - 08:28 PM

All the three all classy GTA's so yes!

I like SA the most then III then VC.

And if you'd get it, first play III, then VC, then SA. This way your impression goes to a bigger level and you wont be like "where's swimming here? that must suck"...

Arch Face
  • Arch Face

Soviet Gangstars COMMANDS YOU!!!

• Members

Posted 19 August 2008 - 04:49 PM

lol if the trilogy is so AWESOME!!!
not mantion that you buy 3 gta's in 125buks instead of buying gta san andreas for 75buks.
THIS IS SO Y-E-S!!!!!

macorules94
  • macorules94

MACEDONIAN KING

• BUSTED!

Posted 20 August 2008 - 12:23 PM

YES

They are all GREAT FUN!!

especially if you havnt ever played any of them in your life tounge.gif

Hart
  • Hart

who are you

• Members

Posted 20 August 2008 - 05:49 PM

I just recently started playing GTA3 again, only just passed the Dead Skunk in the Trunk mision (one of the coolest IMO)
And yes its good, but it feels so weird compared to GTA4. It feels strange now not having Euphoria, and I dont have the urge to go on rampages or experiment with the AI or physics because they're basically non-existent. Also its much harder than I remembered, just goes to show GTA4 was too easy.

Still an amazing game though.

Arch Face
  • Arch Face

Soviet Gangstars COMMANDS YOU!!!

• Members

Posted 23 August 2008 - 10:05 PM

<!--QuoteBegin-Hart+Aug 20 2008, 17:49--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Hart @ Aug 20 2008, 17:49)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I just recently started playing GTA3 again, only just passed the Dead Skunk in the Trunk mision (one of the coolest IMO)
And yes its good, but it feels so weird compared to GTA4. It feels strange now not having Euphoria, and I dont have the urge to go on rampages or experiment with the AI or physics because they're basically non-existent. Also its much harder than I remembered, just goes to show GTA4 was too easy.

Still an amazing game though. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
when you say gta 4 you mean vice city or IV?
and gta 3 is so easy, that when i bought it in 2001 i finished it in like... 6 hours...
and it was easy...
gta vice city took me a day, becouse of cellphone mission's...(in 2003)
gta san andreas took me 4 day's(in 2005)
and im playing gta IV for more than a week on my xbox and i only done 34/95 missions.
and, gta IV is the hardest one ive played so far...
also, in gta IV it takes years for cellphone call's... so i just save the game till a day is passed lol smile.gif

Wanted Assailant
  • Wanted Assailant

Soldier

• Members

Posted 23 August 2008 - 10:16 PM

You've certainly missed out on the greatness of Grand Theft Auto, if you haven't even played the whole III canon. Buy them for the price of one.

valeriashaw
  • valeriashaw

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 September 2008 - 10:05 AM

QUOTE (Wanted Assailant @ Aug 23 2008, 22:16)
You've certainly missed out on the greatness of Grand Theft Auto, if you haven't even played the whole III canon. Buy them for the price of one.

i bought them from eBay. now i'm looking for the GTA I and II biggrin.gif ph34r.gif

SeanMcC
  • SeanMcC

'I just wanted to piss you off before I kill you.'

• Members

Posted 09 September 2008 - 06:34 PM

Do bears sh*t in the woods?

Of course you should buy them!!!

Niteye
  • Niteye

Hustler

• Members

Posted 09 September 2008 - 07:10 PM

QUOTE (valeriashaw @ Sep 8 2008, 10:05)
QUOTE (Wanted Assailant @ Aug 23 2008, 22:16)

i bought them from eBay. now i'm looking for the GTA I and II biggrin.gif ph34r.gif

Looking? Just go to http://www.rockstargames.com/classics (http://www.rockstargames.com/classics) and download them for free...

HASSARD1994
  • HASSARD1994

Playing GTA III.....

• Members

Posted 27 October 2008 - 07:20 PM

Yeah, The GTA Trilogy is worth buying, great games with a wide variety of missions colgate.gif

Coolyfett
  • Coolyfett

Hustler

• Members

Posted 03 December 2008 - 02:28 AM

QUOTE (Dogbreath @ Jul 28 2008, 16:03)
I just finished playing GTA 4 and am pondering buying the Trilogy pack that has GTA 3, Vice City, and San Andreas. Not sure if I will enjoy them though now after playing 4, especially since I have not played any of the older GTA games before

I don't have any problem with older games and older graphics, I dust off old games all the time for my PC and original XBOX. I just wonder if I will be too busy noticing the the dated graphics and game mechanics to really enjoy the games in the Trilogy. I had a similar problem with Warcraft 2. It was one of my favorite games back in the day and decided to give it another play though after some friends got me into World of Warcraft. I got about 2 or 3 missions into it before I quit. The dated graphics and game play just didn't hold up anymore after I had played Starcraft, Warcraft 3, and WoW.

Anyway, I'm just looking for some opinions from those of you who are familiar with the older GTA games. Do they still hold up after 7 years and GTA 4 or did I miss my window to truly enjoy those games?

Why do graphic whores cry so much? Do the graphics hold up? Dude, a good game is a good game. I still play pac man and galaga!!! Get the trilogy pack and stop with the dumb questions. They created the trilogy pack for a reason, so pick it up and support the brand.

Miamivicecity
  • Miamivicecity

Camp Crystal Lake

• Australia
  • Best Member In An Official Group 2012

Posted 03 December 2008 - 03:24 AM

Um this post was made in July, so the guy probably has it by now. confused.gif

And yes people should buy GTA III, VC, and SA, because no matter how old they get they're still legendary games.

I just started a new save in VC, and no matter how many times I start it over I still get the same feeling I got 6 years ago. IMHO they're like a fine wine. They get better with age. icon14.gif

Rucke
  • Rucke

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 05 December 2008 - 11:21 PM

I got it and it's great icon14.gif

rt3
  • rt3

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 16 December 2008 - 05:40 PM

Yes completely worth it.

I played GTA3 PC when it came out and finished it using cheats (loved it), picked up VC for the PS2 i couldn't play it, how anyone could play it on a console is beyond me, waited for and picked up VC when it came out on the PC, so much better and completed it with no cheats (loved it). Picked up San Andreas for the PC and only played it a little, was under mmo hypnosis at the time.

Enter GTA4 i waited for the PC version checked it out to see if it would run, and it did but looked like it needed some patches and is supposed to be an xmas gift so shelved it till xmas day.

But man i wanted to play some GTA, ahhh right i have SA on my shelf never played. Installed that and who cares about 4 anymore. Then i remember i jumped on a $15 deal at steam where you get 1,2,3,VC,and SA.

Loving SA so much and feeling nostalgic I installed 3 and VC completely thinking i would just laugh at the dated graphics and have a fond memory or two, OMG was i ever wrong, i've fallen in love with GTA 3 and VC all over again and am playing them both too. Here i am completely hooked on four GTA games at the same time, woohoo!

I recently posted elsewhere how amazed i was at how well these games stood up against the test of time, they are just as good as the day they were released, graphics are still pretty dang good too but that's not what makes a game good.

OG loc baby, OG loc

alooper21
  • alooper21

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 16 June 2009 - 09:09 AM

this is a good time to pay the tribute to rockstar games for playing all these years gta3 and vice city without buying them. by the time i had money to buy they were off the shelves. i bought a nice edition of san andreas, though and never felt sorry. now i'll sure catch up with it!

asimov
  • asimov

up Debts!

• Members

Posted 16 June 2009 - 10:53 AM

They're so damn cheap that fact alone should make you buy them. SA would probably be the best one to buy first, playing GTA 3 after GTA IV will be a little disspointing when you don't have the nostalgia factor.

reform
  • reform

Beaten, battered, bruised, Told to get down

• Members

Posted 16 June 2009 - 12:35 PM

if you were going to play all 3 i'd still suggest playing gta3 first.

walkover
  • walkover

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 27 September 2009 - 04:24 PM

fyi: the printings in the trilogy box(pc version) was cut back, much thiner than the original ones.

only brochures, not like this

http://img.game.co.u...es/325526pp.jpg

not for collectors.

alooper21
  • alooper21

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 28 May 2010 - 10:37 PM

QUOTE (walkover @ Sep 27 2009, 16:24)

http://img.game.co.u...es/325526pp.jpg

that's how i bought it, too, is just tooo awesome, i think i browsed that booklet 20 times, you read it once, ot twice then just gaze at the pictures or read some random page biggrin.gif

massrcor
  • massrcor

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 June 2010 - 11:45 AM

QUOTE (alooper21 @ Jun 16 2009, 02:09)
this is a good time to pay the tribute to rockstar games for playing all these years gta3 and vice city without buying them. by the time i had money to buy they were off the shelves. i bought a nice edition of san andreas, though and never felt sorry. now i'll sure catch up with it!

That was basically my exact situation. SA, then LCS, then VCS, then IV, TBoGT, TLaD.... then later I got the originals. biggrin.gif

I just recently ventured to gamestop to get III and VC.
They're great! except the hardest thing about them are the primitive physics and controls.

Most of all you can't even get in a car near a cop without being busted, i'm going like 20 BAM! busted and drawn to a complete stop.

they are really fun and worth getting

danjodan
  • danjodan

Homie

• Members

Posted 04 June 2010 - 09:40 PM

Yes,there is more to do in san andreas and vice city has great story and so does 3.
For GTA SA if you want to make the graphics look awsome there is mods that update the graphics with hi res textures and reflection.
Here is an example of San Andreas with graphics mods

onlyname
  • onlyname

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 21 July 2010 - 03:55 AM

Definately get the trilogy. GTA III, GTA VC and GTA SA were the legendary GTAs! Get it get it get it get it get it get it! But teh SA version might have some weird problems because its V2.00 and the audio gets messed up when it rains.

ClaudeSpeed_ToniLeonefan1
  • ClaudeSpeed_ToniLeonefan1

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 October 2010 - 08:38 AM

Any Grand Theft Auto trilogy that is either cheaper or just a little more expensive then the latest GTA game is a sure bargain, buy it and enjoy!!!!

GTAgurlie1988
  • GTAgurlie1988

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 22 October 2010 - 07:47 PM

You might be one of those people that can't go back. But on the off chance you are capable of getting past your addiction to higher level graphics, I'd say go for it. All three are awesome games! I'll be buying it as soon as I can afford it. I only got GTA for PC alone because it was all the local Best Buy had in stock.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users