Photo

GTA 4 game of the year.

364 replies to this topic
Southside Dukes Ballas
  • Southside Dukes Ballas

Thug

• Members

Posted 27 July 2008 - 05:34 AM

QUOTE (.Up&Coming. @ Jul 27 2008, 04:49)
You know what, I do agree on that part.
I had a gut feeling before the game came out that the friends thing would be a hassle.
That Grand Theft Awesome video was right about Roman always calling. R* said they were taking a new approach, and they did a GREAT job at that. I mean, they're taking a whole new crack at something, and of course it won't be awesome first time around.
I bet the next game will be greatly improved when it comes to that stuff.
They can keep the friends thing, but maybe tone it down a little. MP is great for their first real try, but they can always improve some stuff on that.

I mean, I think they did good for doing a whole new gig. I bet the IV era will transform like III to SA eventually... confused.gif

It shouldn't have been an eventually. Why would R* really need to take out 90% of the things that make GTA fun just to add it later on when it should've been there from the start.

Rick88
  • Rick88

"Who is Atlas?"...

• Members

Posted 27 July 2008 - 05:34 AM

QUOTE (GTAaddictforever @ Jul 27 2008, 04:42)
eh, GTA 4 can probably win, but -I- don't think it will. just my opinion

anyway,
I WISH GTA stuck to the old formula. At least then we get a great graphics game with multiplayer and all our beloved features and gameplay from past.

Instead.......

they made GTA 4 into THE SIMS.

Your friend is calling, uhoh! Better answer the phone or he might think you are avoiding him! You will hurt his feelings so his LIKE percentage will go down!! =((((((( Sad panda!!! =(((

Remember to go to dinner with your best bud Jacob! He hasn't gotten to spend time with you lately.

Roman is feeling a little sad lately that you haven't gone out together. He loves you so much and wants to spend time!!!!!

*barf*

suicidal.gif sigh suicidal.gif suicidal.gif where did my gta go

Was GTA SA any different? Hell if anything GTA SA was way more like the Sims than GTA IV was.

Uh-oh, CJ is hungry time to go eat.

Uh-oh CJ is losing/gaining weight, time to go work out at the gym.

Uh-oh CJ's girlfriend is calling, better answer or she'll f*cking hate you.

You get the point.

Southside Dukes Ballas
  • Southside Dukes Ballas

Thug

• Members

Posted 27 July 2008 - 05:39 AM

QUOTE (Rick88 @ Jul 27 2008, 05:34)
eh, GTA 4 can probably win, but -I- don't think it will.  just my opinion

anyway,
I WISH GTA stuck to the old formula.  At least then we get a great graphics game with multiplayer and all our beloved features and gameplay from past.

Instead.......

Your friend is calling, uhoh!  Better answer the phone or he might think you are avoiding him!  You will hurt his feelings so his LIKE percentage will go down!! =(((((((  Sad panda!!! =(((

Remember to go to dinner with your best bud Jacob!  He hasn't gotten to spend time with you lately.

Roman is feeling a little sad lately that you haven't gone out together.  He loves you so much and wants to spend time!!!!! 

*barf*

suicidal.gif sigh suicidal.gif   suicidal.gif   where did my gta go

Was GTA SA any different? Hell if anything GTA SA was way more like the Sims than GTA IV was.

You get the point.

You never had to eat if you didn't want to. You could've went throught the game without eating as long as you save enough.

GFs were optional you didn't need any of them if you didn't want them. And working out actually had a good fun use to the game. Gaining stanima to run faster, gaining muscle to not take as much damage. They actually had points in SA while alot of stuff in IV just seemed added on for no real reason.

.Up&Coming.
  • .Up&Coming.

PanzIV

• BUSTED!

Posted 27 July 2008 - 05:42 AM

QUOTE (Southside Dukes Ballas @ Jul 27 2008, 01:34)
I had a gut feeling before the game came out that the friends thing would be a hassle.
That Grand Theft Awesome video was right about Roman always calling. R* said they were taking a new approach, and they did a GREAT job at that. I mean, they're taking a whole new crack at something, and of course it won't be awesome first time around.
They can keep the friends thing, but maybe tone it down a little. MP is great for their first real try, but they can always improve some stuff on that.

I mean, I think they did good for doing a whole new gig. I bet the IV era will transform like III to SA eventually... confused.gif

It shouldn't have been an eventually. Why would R* really need to take out 90% of the things that make GTA fun just to add it later on when it should've been there from the start.

What? Nooo. I don't mean DLC; I mean later games.
R* always improves their games. They started out with a whole new concept in GTA IV, and I'm guessing they'll improve on that concept in the future.

As for DLC, it does seem that R* took out some content just so they didn't have to think of anything additional for the DLC. It sucks. But, I have PS3, so I'll get nothing or next to nothing anyway..

Rick88
  • Rick88

"Who is Atlas?"...

• Members

Posted 27 July 2008 - 05:46 AM

QUOTE (Southside Dukes Ballas @ Jul 27 2008, 05:39)
QUOTE (Rick88 @ Jul 27 2008, 05:34)
eh, GTA 4 can probably win, but -I- don't think it will.  just my opinion

anyway,
I WISH GTA stuck to the old formula.  At least then we get a great graphics game with multiplayer and all our beloved features and gameplay from past.

Instead.......

Your friend is calling, uhoh!  Better answer the phone or he might think you are avoiding him!  You will hurt his feelings so his LIKE percentage will go down!! =(((((((  Sad panda!!! =(((

Remember to go to dinner with your best bud Jacob!  He hasn't gotten to spend time with you lately.

Roman is feeling a little sad lately that you haven't gone out together.  He loves you so much and wants to spend time!!!!! 

*barf*

suicidal.gif sigh suicidal.gif   suicidal.gif    where did my gta go

You get the point.

You never had to eat if you didn't want to. You could've went throught the game without eating as long as you save enough.

GFs were optional you didn't need any of them if you didn't want them. And working out actually had a good fun use to the game. Gaining stanima to run faster, gaining muscle to not take as much damage. They actually had points in SA while alot of stuff in IV just seemed added on for no real reason.

Same goes for GTA IV, you didn't have to answer the phone, save for the missions. But just like in SA, relationships in GTA IV were in there for a reason and you had rewards. Oh and working out wasn't fun, at all; not for me anyways, it was a pain in the ass, same with eating. At least in GTA IV you only have to eat to recover lost health.

GTAaddictforever
  • GTAaddictforever

The Duderino

• BUSTED!

Posted 27 July 2008 - 05:49 AM

GTA 4 won't even be the best sandbox game of the year.

that one will be.

Sergi
  • Sergi

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 27 July 2008 - 06:03 AM Edited by Sergi, 27 July 2008 - 06:09 AM.

QUOTE (.Up&Coming. @ Jul 27 2008, 05:42)

R* always improves their games. They started out with a whole new concept in GTA IV, and I'm guessing they'll improve on that concept in the future.

As for DLC, it does seem that R* took out some content just so they didn't have to think of anything additional for the DLC. It sucks. But, I have PS3, so I'll get nothing or next to nothing anyway..

He didn't mean DLC he was talking about IV. Wether or not it's in the DLC or the next GTA it made no sense for R*/ to ship a bar bones ass GTA compared to even GTA III just to add it on later whn it should have been in GTA IV from the start then this whole GTA IV is a dissapointment sh*t would've never happened.

Alot of GTA fanboys hate SR but alot of GTA fans atleast acknowledge it. SR had been in development before SA and it shipped early in the 360 life and had way mre sh*t then IV. Iv has been in development since 2004 and shiped with less sh*t then VC. It makes no sense unless R* is just trying to f*ck their fans by shipping a bare game then promising actual good things for DLC to try to make people just go buy the DLC which will be the complete GTA IV when GTA IV should've been complete in the 1st place.

freak2121
  • freak2121

I'm bored.

• Members

Posted 27 July 2008 - 06:05 AM

QUOTE (GTAaddictforever @ Jul 27 2008, 05:49)
GTA 4 won't even be the best sandbox game of the year.

that one will be.

Take your Saints Row 2 fan boyism to the Saints Row forums, none of them will be.Now both sides are happy.

mcstupidfun
  • mcstupidfun

D-Bomb

• Members

Posted 27 July 2008 - 06:29 AM

I think it should. Its the best game I've ever played.

How much did they really take out that was important? Nothing. Tattoos, eating, houses you don't use, desert in a city. I can see if you could no longer still cars or kill people, thats the game, but many of you bitch about the dumbest things.

Yes I would have preferred a house from the people I killed in the storyline, but it doesn't ruin the game for me. Last time I checked people bitched about having to eat and work out and wasted space on a desert and forest, but now they want them.
You can still go nuts in the city if you want to.

TheOtherRyan
  • TheOtherRyan

The American Dream

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 27 July 2008 - 06:58 AM

QUOTE (Rick88 @ Jul 27 2008, 16:46)
Same goes for GTA IV, you didn't have to answer the phone, save for the missions. But just like in SA, relationships in GTA IV were in there for a reason and you had rewards. Oh and working out wasn't fun, at all; not for me anyways, it was a pain in the ass, same with eating. At least in GTA IV you only have to eat to recover lost health.

Exactly. The relationship stuff in IV is just as optional as in SA. Although atleast the incentives from maintaining a relationship in IV are better. IMO

I found Dwayne's extremely useful in a few missions, and Little Jacob's is good for when I'm too far away from the nearest gunshop.

Jackmackg
  • Jackmackg

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 27 July 2008 - 07:02 AM

DLC got delayed till 2009.

dang it!

im not sure i got to play tease other games.

Sergi
  • Sergi

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 27 July 2008 - 07:09 AM

QUOTE (Miamivicecity @ Jul 27 2008, 06:58)
QUOTE (Rick88 @ Jul 27 2008, 16:46)

Exactly. The relationship stuff in IV is just as optional as in SA. Although atleast the incentives from maintaining a relationship in IV are better. IMO

I found Dwayne's extremely useful in a few missions, and Little Jacob's is good for when I'm too far away from the nearest gunshop.

The GFs in SA are just as useful. 1 gets you free medical bills, 1 gets you out of getting your weapons kept when you're busted, 1 gets you free Pay' N Spray and I'm not sure about Denise or the LV girl.

It just seemd like to much of a unwanted task in IV. Maybe if only they never called you bugging you all the time and you could just call them it wouldn't be so repetitive. And since there's not much varieety in the game almost everything gets old after the 1st few times. TV is the main example. At 1st it's like oh cool tv. The 2nd time it's o wow by the 5th time of seeing the same sh*t over and over it's like " R* really took out fun things and didn't add any new fun things for this pointless sh*t".

WellsMcK
  • WellsMcK

Mt. Hood

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 July 2008 - 07:12 AM

I will probably get Saints Row 2 later. Although I think they went a little over the top with their game, spraying sh*t on people, streaking, and the UFC looking fight club. It just looks like a game full of minigames.

GTAaddictforever
  • GTAaddictforever

The Duderino

• BUSTED!

Posted 27 July 2008 - 07:17 AM

If GTA 4 had included a secret underground illegal Fight Club that Niko could join or watch and gamble on, you would have loved it.

Saints Row 2 is going to have that and a ton of stuff. =(

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 27 July 2008 - 07:21 AM

I recognize one of the voices I heard for SR2, so they have at least one big name signed on. With talant that they get, it could also get a leg up, but for me, GTA will always maintain it's flavor, right or wrong, it comes from RN in particular, and their staff.... SR will never capture that.

WellsMcK
  • WellsMcK

Mt. Hood

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 July 2008 - 07:26 AM

QUOTE (GTAaddictforever @ Jul 27 2008, 00:17)
If GTA 4 had included a secret underground illegal Fight Club that Niko could join or watch and gamble on, you would have loved it.

Saints Row 2 is going to have that and a ton of stuff. =(

I probably wouldn't have. If it's anything like all those other games it would be sh*t. Like Tekken and all those fighter games.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 27 July 2008 - 07:57 AM

I think their biggest challenge was graphically improving the game, and that's why it has a strength in that regard. I'd include the way peds and Niko interact with this new landscape as well. The fact he has to respond without user input to any given thing is task in and of itself, but we all seem to feel allowing that to the user, offering more input via the SA convention of pos/neg response would enhence rather then hinder the game.

Small things like that I can't reason away, as to why it's better to drop that ability, but the result is forgiving, it's done well enough where it doesn't TRULY bother you, but you also can't forget it either. This is where features being dropped and added plays a big role, despite their size. Most seem as improvements, if I may say. Things like swimming under water I did a lot of in SA.

Thug

• Members

Posted 27 July 2008 - 11:58 AM

QUOTE (.Up&Coming. @ Jul 27 2008, 04:36)
02134: Yeah, I never finished LCS, but I did like Toni. He was pretty awesome. CJ was a little bit cocky when he got rich, but I actually liked that game. The gangsta thing was pretty surprising for GTA, but I think R* did a good job at it. Yes, Claude was awesome because he didn't talk. I don't know why, but if he talked, I wouldn't like the game as much.

I've heard good things about MGS3. I plan on getting them all and starting from the first one. I've had someone on the forums explain to me the story before I for the 4th one, but I bet I'll like the games way more if I start from the beginning. MGS4 is the last one anyway, isn't it?

I'm not sure if it will be the Last Metal Gear Solid game, but I think it is the last game from Hideo Kojima.

oldage
  • oldage

Boss

• Members

Posted 27 July 2008 - 12:09 PM

QUOTE (MckMan31 @ Jul 27 2008, 04:01)
QUOTE (GTAaddictforever @ Jul 26 2008, 20:01)
GTA 4 game of the year?

not even close.

that honor will probably go to Gears of War 2 or MGS 4 or something like that

i dont know if you guys have come to grip with it yet, but GTA 4 is an overwhelming disappointment to fans around the world.  majority of fans are not happy.  does not mean GTA 4 sucks, it just means it's "eh"

A lot of people are disappointed with the game for dumb reasons. People are mad that you can't buy houses, get gangs, not play the game as an RPG type game, no gyms or fat or eating. And they don't like that it has no desert. I really don't see that making a game.
I for one, hate role playing games. If people want Role Playing Games, then go play WoW or Age of Conan or something. Sorry, if you came to GTA expecting an RPG, then you forgot to read the game's title.
Rockstar took out boring places in the game, besides, since when when New York City have countryside or desert?
I also hated eating or dying and getting fat.
Wow I spent like no time buying houses. Sometimes I bought houses when I realized I had money, but I never bought them as an objective for myself.
Also, customization of cars... I did this almost never, just because I knew my car would end up getting wrecked.

Yer i COMPLETELY agree with your facts , the fans made theirself to be dissapointed in the game by the hype.

TO ALL THE HATERS:
it's your own f*cking fault you hate the game.

it's your own f*cking fault you hate the game!!!!!.

You shouldn't followed the grou of the hype , GTA IV is a F*CKING AWESOME , yes AWESOME , game that WILL get GoTY.
f*ck MGS4 , i wish that bitchy snake would get killed.

stingray132
  • stingray132

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 27 July 2008 - 12:42 PM

It doesn't deserve the best game of all-time, but I think it should recieve the honor of game of the year.

Guanxi
  • Guanxi

Thug

• Members

Posted 27 July 2008 - 03:02 PM

I thought DLC was delayed untill the first Quarter of 2009 which is November, 2008 at the earliest, and so far as we know it's still on track. I don't see why people are so hyped over it though, the mission packs will most likely just be more of the same largely for the worst, the rest of the stuff will probably be a few new multiplayer modes and outfits for mp which I could care less about.

All fans on here seem to want on here beside fingerless gloves and the ability to eat steak is more activities to do. All this big city and nothing to do in it other than going to the cabaret to quote saints row. They seam to be totally oblivious to this and it's glaringly obvious.

.Up&Coming.
  • .Up&Coming.

PanzIV

• BUSTED!

Posted 27 July 2008 - 03:10 PM

QUOTE (Sergi @ Jul 27 2008, 02:03)
QUOTE (.Up&Coming. @ Jul 27 2008, 05:42)

He didn't mean DLC he was talking about IV. Wether or not it's in the DLC or the next GTA it made no sense for R*/ to ship a bar bones ass GTA compared to even GTA III just to add it on later whn it should have been in GTA IV from the start then this whole GTA IV is a dissapointment sh*t would've never happened.

Alot of GTA fanboys hate SR but alot of GTA fans atleast acknowledge it. SR had been in development before SA and it shipped early in the 360 life and had way mre sh*t then IV. Iv has been in development since 2004 and shiped with less sh*t then VC. It makes no sense unless R* is just trying to f*ck their fans by shipping a bare game then promising actual good things for DLC to try to make people just go buy the DLC which will be the complete GTA IV when GTA IV should've been complete in the 1st place.

He didn't mean DLC he was talking about IV. Wether or not it's in the DLC or the next GTA it made no sense for R*/ to ship a bar bones ass GTA compared to even GTA III just to add it on later whn it should have been in GTA IV from the start

That's called DLC. confused.gif

And I don't want a game with a bunch of features thrown in there. I want a quality game that has features, but they make sense! GTA IV gives me that, and I love it.
I don't hate Saints Row. I've never played it, but by the looks of it, it just has random stupid features which might make for entertaining gameplay, but nothing else. I want a game that has the full package of story, gameplay, graphics, features, multiplayer, etc...GTA IV has that. I rest my case.

Oh, and by the way, you don't know if R* took out features just to put it in DLC. You don't know anything about this DLC, so I don't know why you're assuming that's what they're doing. Who knows, it could just be missions they add on. Don't rely on getting your fingerless gloves just because they weren't in the final game.
SA had more stuff taken out of the beta than IV, but more people seem to be complaining about this game losing its features.
I think people are just afraid to take in how great GTA IV is and its new concept over the old games, so they choose to bash it.

Guanxi
  • Guanxi

Thug

• Members

Posted 27 July 2008 - 03:39 PM

f*ck this more focussed, streamlined experience bullsh*t. It's a fancy way of saying there is f*ck all to do. Nowhere to go, nothing to spend your money on. I don't care if Niko doesn't like destruction derby's, I do. I don't care if Niko doesn't want to wear MC Hammer pants, I do. It's New York City and it's barren. They've sucked all the fun out of it.

I understand that they've not left anything out per say because everything has to be rebuilt from the ground up for the new engine, and if it did everything now there would be no place to go forward so to speak and we'd still be waiting for it. It should have been Fall 2008, multiplayer would have been king, everything would have been perfect.

THEBIGZED
  • THEBIGZED

For an annoying dick, you really are an annoying dick.

• Members

Posted 27 July 2008 - 03:45 PM

IMO it should be either GTA4 or MGS4. Hmmm... let me think.. aahhh.. nervous.gif I just can't decide notify.gif ! *head explodes*

greebo-man
  • greebo-man

Hello

• Members

Posted 27 July 2008 - 03:46 PM

thr GTA series has been a fantastic set anyway, so GTAIV had a lot to live up to even before it was announced.
It always had an uphill challenge to live up to the hype. Especially when you compare it to the other GTAs.
But it still blows all the other '08 competiton away.

One of the best '08 games? Undoubtably.
The best GTA? No.

ikillballa
  • ikillballa

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 27 July 2008 - 04:43 PM

its definately going to win goty.

Guanxi
  • Guanxi

Thug

• Members

Posted 27 July 2008 - 04:59 PM Edited by Guanxi, 27 July 2008 - 05:02 PM.

QUOTE (greebo-man @ Jul 27 2008, 15:46)
thr GTA series has been a fantastic set anyway, so GTAIV had a lot to live up to even before it was announced.
It always had an uphill challenge to live up to the hype. Especially when you compare it to the other GTAs.
But it still blows all the other '08 competiton away.

One of the best '08 games? Undoubtably.
The best GTA? No.

It just doesn't do it for me though this time. San Andreas, Vice City and GTA 3 blew the competition and me personally away. Totally. GTA IV has been a bit flat really.

In my opinion I think part of the problem is that it still feels very much like part of the GTA III series cannon to me at least, albeit with a nice facelift. At some points almost like a parody of itself. More like GTA 3.5. It's just as cartoony and silly as San Andreas despite it's efforts, it could have been done on PS2 in standard definition, therefore it's not a truly next generation gaming experience.

It's almost like the team have hit a creative peak, like Toby Mcguire in Spider-man 3 trying to be all serious and dramatic; they just don't have depth or range in skills or ability to take their craft to a higher level and create experiences that can truly rival hollywood. It's exacerbated by the use of amateur writers/voice actors on the narrative side, neither would cut it in the film industry and then you have the gameplay which has changed very little fundamentally, since 2001.

They might currently lack the experience of truly great writers, directors, producers, screenplay artists and actors, etc but are not without the means.

GTA IV needed more than just a cosmetic change, it needed to have fundamentally changed the stale gameplay mechanics of the GTA III series and it did not. As slamman has said evolutionary not revolutionary, it was never going to have the same impact on both the pop-culture and gaminig landscape in this way.

Hideo Kojima bridged the quality gap between gaming and film. Sam Houser hasn't. Yet.

GTAaddictforever
  • GTAaddictforever

The Duderino

• BUSTED!

Posted 27 July 2008 - 07:30 PM

we have to wait and see how good Gears of War 2 wil be

Piny12
  • Piny12

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 27 July 2008 - 08:18 PM

Yes.

Jabalous
  • Jabalous

Villager

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 July 2008 - 09:11 PM

Yes , surely it will be the best game of 2008 , and there are many reasons make it the best . either , the rates , sales , popular ..etc .

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users