Photo

Kam's Tools - No textures in Max

13 replies to this topic
Stene
  • Stene

PERKELE

• Members

Posted 21 July 2008 - 04:56 PM

I have this problem, I have extracted the textures from a car's TXD file, and imported the DFF to 3ds max 7 using Kam's Tools. Now, I can't make the textures show up! If I put them in material editor, and drag to the model it skins the whole car, not the parts the textures should be. But on pressing F9, as it renders, I can see the textures in right places. So, 3dsmax knows where the textures are placed in the DFF model, and shows them in the render, but in the Max view screen, when I'm editing, the textures don't appear. How can I texture the DFF file?

xmen
  • xmen

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 21 July 2008 - 05:54 PM

AFAIK you cannot see textures after importing dff however its keep textured, if you want to see then there are 2 ways, first use saved max file second retexture the dff whatsthat.gif

Stene
  • Stene

PERKELE

• Members

Posted 22 July 2008 - 09:08 AM

QUOTE (xmen @ Jul 21 2008, 19:54)
AFAIK you cannot see textures after importing dff however its keep textured, if you want to see then there are 2 ways, first use saved max file second retexture the dff whatsthat.gif

What do you mean by saved max file?

And retexturing the DFF takes time, because I must use that stupid Modifier thing and then select the vertexes to drag the textures on. Does it really need to be that complex, is there any fast way to retexture the DFF file?

xmen
  • xmen

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 22 July 2008 - 09:24 AM

What do you mean by saved max file?

mean save your file, you can open it with textures

Does it really need to be that complex, is there any fast way to retexture the DFF file?

yes but it may become complex if you used same Mat ID for 2 or more textures, else just add multiobj and set the appropriate texture to ID

Stene
  • Stene

PERKELE

• Members

Posted 22 July 2008 - 09:44 AM

Here's example pic:

http://i138.photobuc...ne93/asdasd.png

See, as I imported the DFF file and I have the textures as TGA's in the same folder, they appear in the render, but not in material editor/the 3D view.

RanxeroX
  • RanxeroX

Wielding Many Hats

• Members

Posted 23 July 2008 - 08:19 AM

I think I know what you're after... I use GMax but the procedure for you should be similar. What you need to do is to first open the 'Material Navigator' window. Then, for every material that has a colormap (ie. bitmap/texture) do the following:

- Double-click on the material so that the 'Material Editor' window opens and shows the selected material.

- Move your mouse in the window to the little blue-and-white checkered cube on the horizontal row of buttons under the 3d balls. It's the 4th from the right according to your screenshot. If you hover over it, a tooltip should pop up saying 'Show Map in Viewport' (at least it does on GMax - 3dsMax may vary). Click on that button and that texture should now display correctly in the Perspective view.

- Now go back to the Material Navigator window and repeat the process for each material with a colormap. Also, if you examine the Navigator window you should notice the little blue ball left of the material's name has now changed to red notifying you that the texture is being displayed.

Hope this is what you were wanting to know!

Stene
  • Stene

PERKELE

• Members

Posted 23 July 2008 - 04:10 PM

That isn't my problem. As you can see, in my pic I have no textures IN the material editor. When I put them there and check/uncheck the blue-white cube, nothing changes.

Here, have another pic:

http://i138.photobuc...tene93/bull.png

xrk
  • xrk

• Members

Posted 23 July 2008 - 04:33 PM

QUOTE (Stene @ Jul 23 2008, 16:10)
That isn't my problem. As you can see, in my pic I have no textures IN the material editor. When I put them there and check/uncheck the blue-white cube, nothing changes.

Here, have another pic:

http://i138.photobuc...tene93/bull.png

Open the material editor press "get material" and in the new window select "scene" from under the "browse from" section and you should see them

Stene
  • Stene

PERKELE

• Members

Posted 23 July 2008 - 05:50 PM

Ahh I guess I'll forget the whole thing. Now it has some "Multimaterial" things and I can't get past them they just f*ck things up.

f*ck 3DSMAX - f*ck KAM'S TOOLS

xrk
  • xrk

• Members

Posted 24 July 2008 - 11:29 AM

QUOTE (Stene @ Jul 23 2008, 17:50)
Ahh I guess I'll forget the whole thing. Now it has some "Multimaterial" things and I can't get past them they just f*ck things up.

?? just click the little boxes beside the textures in multimaterial to see them individually and arrow to return.

Stene
  • Stene

PERKELE

• Members

Posted 24 July 2008 - 11:40 AM

QUOTE (xrk @ Jul 24 2008, 13:29)
QUOTE (Stene @ Jul 23 2008, 17:50)

?? just click the little boxes beside the textures in multimaterial to see them individually and arrow to return.

I cant because it just applies one damn texture then!

xrk
  • xrk

• Members

Posted 24 July 2008 - 11:51 AM

user posted imageuser posted image

pic 1

Click one of the boxes

pic2

click chequered box icon to turn that texture on and then the return arrow to get back to multimaterial.. repeat with the others

Stene
  • Stene

PERKELE

• Members

Posted 24 July 2008 - 12:11 PM

Thanks, now the materials appear. I should be now ready but still there's one problem...

How can I turn them to bitmaps, rather than being "GTA_Material"?

xrk
  • xrk

• Members

Posted 24 July 2008 - 03:27 PM Edited by xrk, 24 July 2008 - 03:29 PM.

You dont, they already are bmps. If you look at this pic and the second pic in my previous post you should see what I mean

user posted image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users