Photo

Firewall Blocking iPod Touch

4 replies to this topic
kingvercetti
  • kingvercetti

Is this the real life?

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 20 July 2008 - 11:53 AM

So I'm using Windows Firewall and AVG Free, not the best combo in the world I know, but I'm happy with it and have stayed virus free and after being disappointed with NOD32's draconian firewall settings when it comes to media sharing, I returned to WF + AVG. So my problem is that Windows Firewall is blocking my iPod Touch from accessing my iTunes library over my home network through the Remote application (from the new App Store); when I turn it off everything works fine so I've been able to narrow it down to the firewall. Where I'm stuck is that as far as I can see, WF only allows to add program exceptions and port exceptions, which isn't much help to me as iTunes already has full network access and I have no idea what port the iTouch is trying to use.

So in a nutshell, what I want to do is set up Windows Firewall in a manner that no connections whatsoever are blocked or denied between 192.168.1.2 (my iPod) and 192.168.1.3 (my PC), if that's possible. Thanks.

Mike
  • Mike

Hustler

• The Connection

Posted 20 July 2008 - 12:27 PM

Try adding exceptions for ports 3689 TCP and 5353 UDP.

kingvercetti
  • kingvercetti

Is this the real life?

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 20 July 2008 - 09:01 PM

You're a living legend mate, thanks, worked a treat. biggrin.gif

rhian_sian
  • rhian_sian

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 February 2011 - 04:24 PM

Hello, I think I am having the same problem. I also use Windows Firewall and AVG security and one or both of these are preventing my ipod touch 3rd gen from showing up in My Computer or in the 'devices' sub-heading in Itunes.
I have tried restoring my ipod and uninstalling/re-installing itunes/safar/bonjour etc- none of this worked.
I would appreciate any advice to help me solve my problem, thank you, Rhian

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Technology] 2013
    Best Contributor [Technology] 2012

Posted 17 February 2011 - 08:59 PM

@kingvercetti
I know you said you were happy with AVG (no idea how) but give Avira's AntiVir a try and you should see better system performance and better virus protection. It's free but does have a nag that comes up when it updates which can be suppressed once you know how

@rhian_sian
You sound like you're having a completely different problem because if I'm not mistaken you're connecting directly to the PC via USB.
I would first make sure there is nothing from with the cable by connecting it with the iPod to another computer to see if it shows up at all.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users