Photo

GTA: Chinatown Wars

343 replies to this topic
xNamexTakenx
  • xNamexTakenx

Demonik

• Members

Posted 15 July 2008 - 11:11 PM

If R* brings a GTA game to a handheld system such as DS or GBA, of course its gonna be a flop. Look at GTAA. That game didn't do too well, did it? At least LCS and VCS were okay. But, even they weren't played a lot. Whatever. I know I'm not gonna play this game. I prefer my PS3, anyway. I want another GTA game to come to PS3, but I guess its gonna be a while. They could've at least made it for PSP, too! This does frustrate me a bit.

Doctor Emmett L. Brown
  • Doctor Emmett L. Brown

Gangsta

• BUSTED!

Posted 15 July 2008 - 11:13 PM

QUOTE (xNamexTakenx @ Jul 15 2008, 23:11)
If R* brings a GTA game to a handheld system such as DS or GBA, of course its gonna be a flop. Look at GTAA. That game didn't do too well, did it? At least LCS and VCS were okay. But, even they weren't played a lot. Whatever. I know I'm not gonna play this game. I prefer my PS3, anyway. I want another GTA game to come to PS3, but I guess its gonna be a while. They could've at least made it for PSP, too! This does frustrate me a bit.

Yeah Advance didn't do well. But I will play it rent it first actually. Then if I like it I will buy it but probably not. The thing is R* Leeds is a bit of a clone to North. North 0wns any R* company! Manhunt was good who developed Manhunt?

CharmingCharlie
  • CharmingCharlie

Proud PC Gamer

• Members

Posted 15 July 2008 - 11:22 PM

I still cannot actually quite believe this. I am truly stunned at the total whorage of this move. All we need now is GTA Chinatown Wars the Java version. I cannot even comprehend why they are doing this. At this current time we have THOUSANDS of people waiting to get their hands on a PC version of GTA 4 and Rockstars response is complete silence. Yet we have absolutely NO ONE on the planet even remotely bothered about a GTA game appearing on the Nintendo DS and yet here we have it a GTA on the DS. I personally hope and KNOW this game will bomb and it will rightly deserve too.

Mainland Marauder
  • Mainland Marauder

Ghost

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 15 July 2008 - 11:25 PM

I'm kind of hoping for a San Fierro Triads game here, but I know most people liked the version of the Triads from GTA3 more though.

R* Leeds did LCS and VCS, if I'm not mistaken.

KGBeast
  • KGBeast

Thug

• Members

Posted 16 July 2008 - 12:23 AM

for reference guys, if you like rockstar games, and you want to support their future, it's kind of foolish to hope their game bombs. no one is forcing you to play it, no one is even forcing you to acknowledge it. there are those of us who played advance and loved it and have been hoping for a GTA DS, so kindly, stifle yourself will ya der edith.

Deuce Deuce
  • Deuce Deuce

-

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 16 July 2008 - 12:24 AM Edited by Deuce Deuce, 16 July 2008 - 01:21 AM.

QUOTE (CharmingCharlie @ Jul 16 2008, 00:22)
I still cannot actually quite believe this.  I am truly stunned at the total whorage of this move.  All we need now is GTA Chinatown Wars the Java version.  I cannot even comprehend why they are doing this.  At this current time we have THOUSANDS of people waiting to get their hands on a PC version of GTA 4 and Rockstars response is complete silence.  Yet we have absolutely NO ONE on the planet even remotely bothered about a GTA game appearing on the Nintendo DS and yet here we have it a GTA on the DS.  I personally hope and KNOW this game will bomb and it will rightly deserve too.

I have a feeling that much like LCS and VCS being the games to keep fans happy in wait for GTA IV's release, this could be the same sort of thing and possibly ported to the PSP or even PS2 to keep everyone happy in await for the next "proper" GTA on the current-gen systems. It does seem likely.

This was unexpected. I'm definitely gonna get this.

Wanted Assailant
  • Wanted Assailant

Soldier

• Members

Posted 16 July 2008 - 12:29 AM

QUOTE (CharmingCharlie @ Jul 15 2008, 23:22)
I still cannot actually quite believe this. I am truly stunned at the total whorage of this move. All we need now is GTA Chinatown Wars the Java version. I cannot even comprehend why they are doing this. At this current time we have THOUSANDS of people waiting to get their hands on a PC version of GTA 4 and Rockstars response is complete silence. Yet we have absolutely NO ONE on the planet even remotely bothered about a GTA game appearing on the Nintendo DS and yet here we have it a GTA on the DS. I personally hope and KNOW this game will bomb and it will rightly deserve too.

Then just buy a goddamn 360 or PS3. Stop your f*cking whining about R* not releasing it on the PC.

What they do is what they want to. They're getting the money, and would barely care about the whiners who can't afford or dont have a DS/360/PS3.

Everyone: You're blaming R*ckstar for your inadequacies.

CharmingCharlie
  • CharmingCharlie

Proud PC Gamer

• Members

Posted 16 July 2008 - 12:31 AM

QUOTE (KGBeast @ Jul 16 2008, 01:23)
for reference guys, if you like rockstar games, and you want to support their future, it's kind of foolish to hope their game bombs. no one is forcing you to play it, no one is even forcing you to acknowledge it. there are those of us who played advance and loved it and have been hoping for a GTA DS, so kindly, stifle yourself will ya der edith.

Don't give me that bull. I was fully behind Rockstar, I forked out £200 to play GTA 4 I was that "fully" behind Rockstar. However there is NO way I am paying for yet more hardware to play yet another game that is exclusive to yet another system. I am sick and tired of having to fork out hundreds of pounds following Rockstar all over the place.

Rockstar are treating their fans with complete and utter contempt making versions of GTA exclusive to different platforms. The reason I hope this bombs is because Rockstar need to be taught a lesson. The fact you are "behind" Rockstar and this blatant whorism that they are doing just tells me if Rockstar stamped their logo on a turd you would pay for it and beg for more.

Wanted Assailant
  • Wanted Assailant

Soldier

• Members

Posted 16 July 2008 - 12:33 AM

QUOTE (CharmingCharlie @ Jul 16 2008, 00:31)
for reference guys, if you like rockstar games, and you want to support their future, it's kind of foolish to hope their game bombs.† no one is forcing you to play it, no one is even forcing you to acknowledge it.† there are those of us who played advance and loved it and have been hoping for a GTA DS, so kindly, stifle yourself will ya der edith.

Don't give me that bull. I was fully behind Rockstar, I forked out £200 to play GTA 4 I was that "fully" behind Rockstar. However there is NO way I am paying for yet more hardware to play yet another game that is exclusive to yet another system. I am sick and tired of having to fork out hundreds of pounds following Rockstar all over the place.

Rockstar are treating their fans with complete and utter contempt making versions of GTA exclusive to different platforms. The reason I hope this bombs is because Rockstar need to be taught a lesson. The fact you are "behind" Rockstar and this blatant whorism that they are doing just tells me if Rockstar stamped their logo on a turd you would pay for it and beg for more.

If you don't like their games then just stop playing it.
No one told you fork over a lot of cash.

Don't actually think Rockstar are doing it for the fans. It's for the money plain and simple, the idiotic teenagers buying it are just a bonus.

Seriously.

CharmingCharlie
  • CharmingCharlie

Proud PC Gamer

• Members

Posted 16 July 2008 - 12:40 AM

QUOTE (Wanted Assailant @ Jul 16 2008, 01:33)
If you don't like their games then just stop playing it.
No one told you fork over a lot of cash.

Don't actually think Rockstar are doing  it for the fans. It's for the money plain and simple, the idiotic teenagers buying it are just a bonus.

Seriously.

Oh don't you fret your little head about it Wanted Assailant, I will ensure I don't waste any more money on Rockstar's sh*t. However I am a member of this forum and I believe I am allowed to voice my point of view, if you don't like it then feel free to ignore my posts.

really seriously.

Mrdeanop2
  • Mrdeanop2

GAWWH!

• Members

Posted 16 July 2008 - 12:54 AM

QUOTE (CharmingCharlie @ Jul 16 2008, 00:31)
for reference guys, if you like rockstar games, and you want to support their future, it's kind of foolish to hope their game bombs.  no one is forcing you to play it, no one is even forcing you to acknowledge it.  there are those of us who played advance and loved it and have been hoping for a GTA DS, so kindly, stifle yourself will ya der edith.

Or just download the rom and play it on your pc. icon14.gif

That's what I'll be doing.

Mainland Marauder
  • Mainland Marauder

Ghost

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 16 July 2008 - 01:09 AM

QUOTE (CharmingCharlie @ Jul 15 2008, 19:31)
Rockstar are treating their fans with complete and utter contempt making versions of GTA exclusive to different platforms.

What makes you think something isn't in the works for everyone else?

Sorry, but I must be missing something here. GTA3 was exclusive to PS2 for how long?

Doctor Emmett L. Brown
  • Doctor Emmett L. Brown

Gangsta

• BUSTED!

Posted 16 July 2008 - 01:32 AM

GTA 3 was exclusive for PS2 for about 1 year and 6 months same goes with Rayman... Was on Gamecube then about 4 months later PS2 PS1 ETC

GTA3Freak-2001
  • GTA3Freak-2001

Run out of Cake.

• Members

Posted 16 July 2008 - 01:33 AM

What's the fuss? This is just like GTA Advance, we'll hear about it and then quickly forget it. Sure the DS has more going for it then the Advance does but I still see this as a very basic game not exactly aimed at the general GTA gamer. Its like all these mini game things like the Brain Training or Dogs for the DS, it fits underneath the PSP GTA's.

Doctor Emmett L. Brown
  • Doctor Emmett L. Brown

Gangsta

• BUSTED!

Posted 16 July 2008 - 01:36 AM

I hope they don't put it from a birds eye view...

GTA3Freak-2001
  • GTA3Freak-2001

Run out of Cake.

• Members

Posted 16 July 2008 - 01:43 AM

QUOTE (Doctor Emmett L. Brown @ Jul 16 2008, 12:06)
I hope they don't put it from a birds eye view...

Well honestly I don't see how the DS has the power to create a 3D free roaming game and if it does it will look shocking but hey I reserve judgment until I see screens of it. If anything a top-down game would be better. Heck just porting GTA2 to the DS would be better!

Vanilla Shake
  • Vanilla Shake

I drink your milkshake

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 16 July 2008 - 01:52 AM

Yeah, I can't imagine this being 3D either. And if it were, it would be quite awkward trying to move around with the directional pad as opposed to a joystick.

But yeah, I'm falling into the category of waiting to see the type of gameplay we'll be receiving. If it turns out to be a fully 3D GTA, even if it's just like the PSP titles, I'll gladly fork over some money for a DS to pick this up. However if it's top-down like GTA Advance, I probably won't bother. I'm sure it would still be a pretty cool game like the first GTAs, but going from GTA IV or even the PSP games to this, it probably wouldn't captivate or interest me enough to constitute the purchase.

Ph3L1z14n0
  • Ph3L1z14n0

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 16 July 2008 - 02:26 AM

QUOTE (Doctor Emmett L. Brown @ Jul 15 2008, 23:13)

Yeah Advance didn't do well. But I will play it rent it first actually. Then if I like it I will buy it but probably not. The thing is R* Leeds is a bit of a clone to North. North 0wns any R* company! Manhunt was good who developed Manhunt?

North indeed, those guys are really f*cking talented wow.gif

redviper
  • redviper

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 16 July 2008 - 03:40 AM Edited by redviper, 16 July 2008 - 03:50 AM.

QUOTE (GTA3Freak-2001 @ Jul 16 2008, 01:43)
Well honestly I don't see how the DS has the power to create a 3D free roaming game and if it does it will look shocking but hey I reserve judgment until I see screens of it. If anything a top-down game would be better. Heck just porting GTA2 to the DS would be better!

The DS indeed has some 3D power. Just look at CoD4 or Brothers in Arms to get an idea for the graphic capabilities and game controls. Also look at Chibi Robo Park Patrol to see a free-roaming game (yeah I know - the area is only about 1 km≤ - but it's free-roamable, including buildings) smile.gif

Besides all that I mentioned above, the Nintendo lady said clearly that GTACW will have a free roamable environment and a customized game engine, which means to me it won't be 2D. The lack of screenshots is a good evidence of 3D too, because R* won't hold them back if they weren't something we would not expect.

pimp_60cent
  • pimp_60cent

Soldier

• BUSTED!

Posted 16 July 2008 - 03:48 AM

QUOTE (GTA3Freak-2001 @ Jul 15 2008, 18:43)
Heck just porting GTA2 to the DS would be better!

Amen to that!

I would buy this game, but I don't have a DS. And I'm just not going to whop out 100 or 80 dollars to go buy a DS just to play the game. If they did this with the PSP, then we're talking.

CryptReaperDorian
  • CryptReaperDorian

Boss

• Members

Posted 16 July 2008 - 03:52 AM

QUOTE (Ph3L1z14n0 @ Jul 15 2008, 20:26)
QUOTE (Doctor Emmett L. Brown @ Jul 15 2008, 23:13)

North indeed, those guys are really f*cking talented wow.gif

Yeah, look at the character models in the Manhunt series and GTA III era series, you can totally tell they are the same developers. Also, they both have the nice style of humor (Hoodz member in Manhunt searching for you when you're in the shadows: Oh, he's hiding like a p*ssy.) and also they both have the bottom left corner blip circle too (GTA has a map though, not just blips).

Tony Mozzarelli 80
  • Tony Mozzarelli 80

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 16 July 2008 - 05:53 AM

Leeds developed Manhunt i'm pretty sure. North only works on GTA

UnitedDestruction
  • UnitedDestruction

The Dude

• Members

Posted 16 July 2008 - 06:57 AM

I love Rockstar as much as anyone, but I have to admit I was kinda disappointed with LCS and VCS, which makes me worried about this game sucking (I don't own a DS and don't plan to but that doesn't mean I can't worry lol). Don't get me wrong, I was amazed that a game like GTA could be on a portable device like the PSP and still have the 3D free-roam world. But other than that, it felt like the gameplay had been stripped to the bone a bit, and the only things really new was the song selection and some new vehicles, different story line, and VCS was full of glitches. I can't even begin to imagine what the DS version of GTA will be like, but I'm pretty pessimistic as of now. Also by the sound of Chinatown Wars it sounds like all you can do is fight with some rival gang in some little battle scenario or something. laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame. will have to wait for more info

Typhus
  • Typhus

OG

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 16 July 2008 - 07:25 AM

Honestly, I hope they have Claude/Fido (Whatever your preferred name for him is) as the main character. As he doesn't require a voice actor and is a very popular figure in this franchise.

luminous piss
  • luminous piss

help me

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 July 2008 - 07:26 AM

Just thought I'd mention this since some people are worrying about whether it will be free-roaming or not...

"According to Nintendo the game will be the "same free roaming GTA" experience for the handheld."

courtesy of IGN (dunno if someone's already said this).

poast
  • poast

• BUSTED!

Posted 16 July 2008 - 09:05 AM

QUOTE (Typhus @ Jul 16 2008, 07:25)
Honestly, I hope they have Claude/Fido (Whatever your preferred name for him is) as the main character. As he doesn't require a voice actor and is a very popular figure in this franchise.

I disagree, I don't even think he should have been in SA. Each character belongs in their own game. I don't think cross-overs work, at all, ever, except on Stargate Atlantis.

GTA_Robbie
  • GTA_Robbie

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 16 July 2008 - 09:13 AM

Looks weird and sounds weird aswell. I'm just wondering if it will be BACK into the worlds of GTA 1 and II with that birds eye view thing because that will just be awesome. The logo looks weird and the fonts 'Chinatown Wars' looks something gooie and more like a ghost game lol.

But still, I'm looking forward to seeing how this will work out. Seems pretty nice, can't wait.

Molotiv
  • Molotiv

Prankster

• Members

Posted 16 July 2008 - 09:13 AM

Im glad they put the whole SAS to rest, cous the whole story stuff really disappointed me. I think they can do some interesting stuff with a DS. Ill def pick up the game when its released.

Typhus
  • Typhus

OG

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 16 July 2008 - 09:36 AM

QUOTE (poast @ Jul 16 2008, 09:05)
QUOTE (Typhus @ Jul 16 2008, 07:25)

I disagree, I don't even think he should have been in SA. Each character belongs in their own game. I don't think cross-overs work, at all, ever, except on Stargate Atlantis.

But Fido isn't a character, that's the whole point. He's a void and he has come to be a very popular void. He is the very embodiment of the hired gun.
He can cross over certain stages in the GTA franchise. Which is why he can appear during the top-down era as well as the III timeline.
Think of him as a mascot.
Yep, a gunrunning, drug dealing mascot.

.:Alex:.
  • .:Alex:.

Bitter and Twisted

• Members

Posted 16 July 2008 - 09:49 AM

As I said before, it actually seems they aren't having a laugh with this one (like Advance). Some genuinely decent development is behind this game, so it will be interesting to see how it turns out. I mean, they've actually got a site for this one!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users