Photo

Fallout 3

4,410 replies to this topic
Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 29 October 2008 - 05:57 PM

I love it so much I'm starting over again already! tounge.gif I want to do it right. Great game. Going to spend copious amounts of time with it.

Hart
  • Hart

who are you

• Members

Posted 29 October 2008 - 06:07 PM

QUOTE (Otter @ Oct 29 2008, 18:57)
I love it so much I'm starting over again already! tounge.gif I want to do it right.

Great game. Going to spend copious amounts of time with it.

Tell me that you're just starting again for the sake of it and havent completed it already?

DeeperRed
  • DeeperRed

Damn it feels good to be gangsta

• Zaibatsu

Posted 29 October 2008 - 06:10 PM

Dang! Fable 2 and Fallout 3! Why does everything have to come now!

flitcroft101
  • flitcroft101

wat

• Members

Posted 29 October 2008 - 06:11 PM

Loving it alot biggrin.gif i'm playing through as an evil git at the minute

no storyline spoiler, just an NPC.
just ripped the sheriffs legs off and rolled him down a hill

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 29 October 2008 - 07:12 PM

QUOTE (Hart @ Oct 29 2008, 10:07)
I love it so much I'm starting over again already! tounge.gif I want to do it right. Great game. Going to spend copious amounts of time with it.
Tell me that you're just starting again for the sake of it and havent completed it already?

You got it. I wont finish the game for ages - I'm an explorer, and though they say the main quest last a good 13 hours, I'll be so wrapped up in sidequests that I probably wont finish this until the new year.

Afro_Painguin
  • Afro_Painguin

Rawr.

• Members

Posted 29 October 2008 - 11:40 PM

This game rawks my socks.

DeeperRed
  • DeeperRed

• Zaibatsu

Posted 30 October 2008 - 02:23 AM

On Oblivion I locked in 97 Hours, and do you know what.#

I never even gave the dude his Amlet, I still have it. 97 hours of pure sidequesting, Exploring, Leveling, and Owning all the guilds!
Is Fallout 3 that immersive!?

Also did anyone else build the armour of invisibilty, I did it made life a lot eaiser biggrin.gif

SaintJimmy
  • SaintJimmy

On a drug called Martin Sheen

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 30 October 2008 - 07:23 AM

I've played all 3 first fallout games. I would've enjoyed 2 alot more if the combat was switchable between turn-based and RTS, like Fallout:Tactics (Which I thoroughly enjoyed).
Pre-ordered Fallout 3 a few weeks back. Was supposed to pick it up today,but they decide to move shop just down the road so I won't be able to pick it up until Saturday.
Can't wait though smile.gif

Don Garcia aka NjNakedSnake
  • Don Garcia aka NjNakedSnake

• Members

Posted 30 October 2008 - 07:48 AM

QUOTE (Otter @ Oct 29 2008, 19:12)
QUOTE (Hart @ Oct 29 2008, 10:07)
I love it so much I'm starting over again already! tounge.gif I want to do it right.

Great game. Going to spend copious amounts of time with it.

You got it. I wont finish the game for ages - I'm an explorer, and though they say the main quest last a good 13 hours, I'll be so wrapped up in sidequests that I probably wont finish this until the new year.

Gee, now that's commitment. Games that can extract that from gamers appeal to me.

Might have to get my hands on this.

baptiste
  • baptiste

Docking request accepted

• Zaibatsu

Posted 30 October 2008 - 08:05 AM

The older Fallout games are outdated and honestly they now suck. I replayed Fallout II to get me hyped up for this game. I stoped 20 minutes in because I got f*cking bored at a game I thoroughly enjoyed a few years back.

Oh, and its not and FPS, so stop complaining that the shooting mechanics aren't all that great. Its not the main focus of the game.
I'm getting this today; there's gonna be some heavy duty gaming going on over here.

@SaintJimmy, are there not 4 earlier Fallout games? Fallout, Fallout II, Fallout: Tactics and Fallout: Brotherhood of steel?

Moncai
  • Moncai

Soldier

• Members

Posted 30 October 2008 - 01:17 PM

QUOTE (anuj @ Oct 29 2008, 17:11)
This game kicks severe amounts of ass.

This is how it looks on Medium.

user posted imageuser posted image

Hey mate can you tell me what system specs you have so I can compare?

Afro_Painguin
  • Afro_Painguin

Rawr.

• Members

Posted 30 October 2008 - 01:28 PM

About the Sheriff and Burke...

Am I the only one who didn't kill Burke when he shot the Sheriff? I was so shocked, that I didn't even draw my weapon.

anuj
  • anuj

iconic

• Inactive Staff
  • None

Posted 30 October 2008 - 03:00 PM

QUOTE (Moncai @ Oct 30 2008, 07:17)

It's an HP Pavillion PC, pretty much stock. 2.6GHZ Dual-Core something or another processor, 4gb RAM. The only thing I've added are an upgraded PSU and a nVidia GeForce 9800GTX.

It runs on Ultra-High, but not as smoothly as I'd like. I turned it up all the way (1680x1050, highest AA and AF, ultra-high detail on everything) and it ran at about 25-30 FPS.

I really have no idea how computer hardware works, otherwise I'd install whatever is necessary to make it run 60FPS on ultra high because goddamn this game is great.

anuj
  • anuj

iconic

• Inactive Staff
  • None

Posted 30 October 2008 - 03:05 PM

QUOTE (baptiste @ Oct 30 2008, 02:05)
The older Fallout games are outdated and honestly they now suck. I replayed Fallout II to get me hyped up for this game. I stoped 20 minutes in because I got f*cking bored at a game I thoroughly enjoyed a few years back.

Oh, and its not and FPS, so stop complaining that the shooting mechanics aren't all that great. Its not the main focus of the game.
I'm getting this today; there's gonna be some heavy duty gaming going on over here.

@SaintJimmy, are there not 4 earlier Fallout games? Fallout, Fallout II, Fallout: Tactics and Fallout: Brotherhood of steel?

Seems to me that it's got a first person perspective, and you shoot things. Sure, it would be nice to have accurate aiming, but you're right about it not being the focus of the game. VATS more than makes up for that though. That and the bloody mess perk.

If I had one complaint about the game, it would be that enemies don't seem to run out of ammunition. They nailed the wasteland atmosphere perfectly. I have to scrounge around for food and health items without getting irradiated to the point of a third arm. The f*cking muties don't seem to have this problem though. I hid behind cover in the Wasteland for about five minutes while some douchebag raider shot at me with an assault rifle. I popped out to kill him, and when I search him I find a bottlecap and five assault rifle rounds.

I'm glad they revamped the "enemies level with you" thing from Oblivion, but goddamn I wish there was a mod so enemies would run out of ammunition.

Hart
  • Hart

who are you

• Members

Posted 30 October 2008 - 03:55 PM

QUOTE (anuj @ Oct 30 2008, 16:05)
I'm glad they revamped the "enemies level with you" thing from Oblivion, but goddamn I wish there was a mod so enemies would run out of ammunition.

I've read in a few reviews that it hasnt been fixed. I havent played it though, so I cant make a judgement.

Dont double post ph34r.gif

Kalasinn
  • Kalasinn

Zomb Thatch™

• Zaibatsu

Posted 30 October 2008 - 04:22 PM

Important question for those who have Fallout 3: I hear that there is a marked absence of any Microfusion Cells to power laser rifles etc. Does anyone have any information on this? Because i certainly will not be ploughing skill points into energy weapons if there is no ammunition for them. Please tell me that this is wrong and there is in fact Microfusion Cells to be found.

Moncai
  • Moncai

Soldier

• Members

Posted 30 October 2008 - 05:18 PM

QUOTE (anuj @ Oct 30 2008, 15:00)
QUOTE (Moncai @ Oct 30 2008, 07:17)

It's an HP Pavillion PC, pretty much stock. 2.6GHZ Dual-Core something or another processor, 4gb RAM. The only thing I've added are an upgraded PSU and a nVidia GeForce 9800GTX.

It runs on Ultra-High, but not as smoothly as I'd like. I turned it up all the way (1680x1050, highest AA and AF, ultra-high detail on everything) and it ran at about 25-30 FPS.

I really have no idea how computer hardware works, otherwise I'd install whatever is necessary to make it run 60FPS on ultra high because goddamn this game is great.

Gah, thanks for the info reckon I could run this on high but not sure about smoothness as at 1680*1050 my 8800GT might fry. Can always get it on the 360, as all of Bethsheda's stuff seems to be 'consolized' now. Makes me miss Morrowind and it's unfriendly inventory.

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 30 October 2008 - 05:21 PM

Moncai, I've got an 8800 GTS, and I get a solid 30-40 fps on ultra high. It's not that demanding a game, despite the looks of it.

Moncai
  • Moncai

Soldier

• Members

Posted 30 October 2008 - 05:25 PM

QUOTE (Otter @ Oct 30 2008, 17:21)
Moncai, I've got an 8800 GTS, and I get a solid 30-40 fps on ultra high. It's not that demanding a game, despite the looks of it.

What resolution are you running it at? AS I said I like to run at my monitors native and am worried about what terms of quality I will get at that size. My process is a bit sh*t so will have a look at systemrequirements la b and see how I match up and get a better opinion. After that it's gamerpoints vs. Mods.

anuj
  • anuj

iconic

• Inactive Staff
  • None

Posted 30 October 2008 - 07:16 PM

QUOTE (Hart @ Oct 30 2008, 09:55)

I've read in a few reviews that it hasnt been fixed. I havent played it though, so I cant make a judgement.

The way it works (from what the devs said) is that areas of enemies are separated by certain zones. When you FIRST go to that area, the enemies are scaled to be a certain level. If you're level 5 when you go in, they'll be around level 5 for the entire game. That way you can go back to certain zones later and completely wreck sh*t.

And no.

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 30 October 2008 - 07:23 PM

QUOTE (Moncai @ Oct 30 2008, 09:25)
QUOTE (Otter @ Oct 30 2008, 17:21)
Moncai, I've got an 8800 GTS, and I get a solid 30-40 fps on ultra high.  It's not that demanding a game, despite the looks of it.

What resolution are you running it at? AS I said I like to run at my monitors native and am worried about what terms of quality I will get at that size. My process is a bit sh*t so will have a look at systemrequirements la b and see how I match up and get a better opinion. After that it's gamerpoints vs. Mods.

I run at 1680x1050, 2x AA, HDR, all other settings ultra high.

• Members

Posted 30 October 2008 - 08:49 PM

QUOTE (anuj @ Oct 30 2008, 19:16)
The way it works (from what the devs said) is that areas of enemies are separated by certain zones. When you FIRST go to that area, the enemies are scaled to be a certain level. If you're level 5 when you go in, they'll be around level 5 for the entire game. That way you can go back to certain zones later and completely wreck sh*t.

See, now that's an awesome system.

Statutory Ray
  • Statutory Ray

I'm a New World Samurai, and a Redneck Nonetheless

• Members

Posted 30 October 2008 - 09:02 PM

QUOTE (anuj @ Oct 30 2008, 14:16)
QUOTE (Hart @ Oct 30 2008, 09:55)

And no.

Zones also have a minimum and maximum level. Certain areas won't default to your level, and if you're below that level, it will default to the minimum level set.

For example, a certain area will have a level range from 5-10. If you go into this area at level 1, it will default to 5, and stay that way. If you go in at level 12, it will default to 10.

If you go exploring everywhere from the get-go, you will run into supermutants with chainguns and missile launchers and get your sh*t wrecked. Even if you're at a higher level, there's a good chance you'll get your sh*t wrecked.

QUOTE (baptiste)
The older Fallout games are outdated and honestly they now suck.

The combat system always sucked, because it was never the main focus of the game. The dialog, story, interaction with the environment, and number of ways you can go about things was always the bread and butter of such games. These are the main focus of Fallout 3 as well, but to a lesser extent. You can still go through the game without killing anybody, it's just that the combat is actually fun this time around.

For anybody wondering, this game puts Oblivion to shame. The graphics are better, the environments are better, the story is better, the dialog is better, the combat is better, the quests are better, the voice acting is better. Not to say it can be compared to Oblivion at all, as it's a completely different game just within the same genre, but Bethesda definitely learned from the stupid mistakes and shallowness of Oblivion.

The dialog and immersion don't rival the first two Fallouts, but you can't expect a completely different company to nail the feeling of an intellectual property that they didn't create. They did it justice, though, and it's fun as f*ck to play.

• Members

Posted 30 October 2008 - 09:22 PM

Hey Ray, you get a dog yet? Or meatbags, whatever they're called.

Moth
  • Moth

When life gives you lemons, nuke the planet.

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Canada

Posted 30 October 2008 - 09:42 PM

QUOTE (Don Garcia aka NjNakedSnake @ Oct 30 2008, 17:22)

Dogmeat wink.gif

Where do you find him?

Statutory Ray
  • Statutory Ray

• Members

Posted 30 October 2008 - 09:56 PM

QUOTE (The General. @ Oct 30 2008, 16:42)
QUOTE (Don Garcia aka NjNakedSnake @ Oct 30 2008, 17:22)

Dogmeat wink.gif

Where do you find him?

About 2 minutes south of the minefield. He's not really that great of a companion. He dies easily and doesn't really do much damage, and has to be right next to an enemy to hurt them.

original gangster
  • original gangster

Perfectly cromulent.

• Members

Posted 30 October 2008 - 10:15 PM

QUOTE (Statutory Ray @ Oct 30 2008, 22:02)

QUOTE (baptiste)
The older Fallout games are outdated and honestly they now suck.

The combat system always sucked, because it was never the main focus of the game. The dialog, story, interaction with the environment, and number of ways you can go about things was always the bread and butter of such games.

Yeah, I'll definitely agree with that. And it's true that the first two Fallout games haven't aged very well, but I wouldn't say they suck now - though the start of Fallout 2 has always sucked ass.

I'm still raising the money for a new graphics card but I really want to play this, so I've gave in and pre-ordered the 360 version off of Amazon. From everything I've seen so far it's looking like they've made a good sequel here and I can't wait to try it out. Seriously, I can understand being pessimistic about Bethesda doing this sequel - I had a lot of doubts, and I'm still curious about a couple of things too - but a lot of fans are being way too unfair on this to the point of bitching about the most petty of things.

Afro_Painguin
  • Afro_Painguin

Rawr.

• Members

Posted 30 October 2008 - 10:39 PM

Wow...while exploring I accidently found Dad.

I haven't even done any of the main quests yet! blush.gif

Statutory Ray
  • Statutory Ray

• Members

Posted 31 October 2008 - 03:29 AM

QUOTE (Afro_Painguin @ Oct 30 2008, 17:39)
Wow...while exploring I accidently found Dad.

I haven't even done any of the main quests yet! blush.gif

This is the beauty of Fallout. Things can very well progress in any way, and you can complete a lot of quests by skipping a lot of the meat. A lot of the times some pieces of info are lost in translation, though, so it's best to try and explore every possibility and see how things turn out. You can pretty much kill mostly everybody and still finish the game, or kill nobody.

DeeperRed
  • DeeperRed

• Zaibatsu

Posted 31 October 2008 - 03:45 AM Edited by DeeperRed, 31 October 2008 - 03:48 AM.

Had a session a with Fallout 3 PC
Every setting to the max including AA and AF
Running at 1920X1080 (Im on a 52" HDTV)

I must say WOW. No more then WOW! Words can not describe how amazing this game is! This has to be one of the best games ever. Everything feels ALIVE, I am totally immersed. AI is top notch. Its damn near perfect!

I am not going to do a full review right now as I have a 6000 word essay to complete, which I should of been doing about 5 hours ago 2 hours before I said "Ill just install Fallout and have a qick blast then commence worK) Yes this game manage to make me play for 7 hours stright! Its a first the only thing that came close was Oblivion with 6.

Word of warning: If you think this is an FPS and your buying it becuase it looks like an FPS. Stop. This is nothing like an FPS, Yes its in first person but thats it! This game isn't boom, headshot, Enemy dead. YThis game is about waying up chance and satistics for the Majority of shots (You only shot crazy when your waiting for VAT to recharge) And even then you don't shoot crazy as your counting your ammo.
I think the best way to describe Fallout 3 is, Stalker minus the bugs times a 1000.

One awesome thing I love is that If you kill a trader, you can nick everything they have. Though you get bad Karma. No trader is safe with me biggrin.gif
Does anyone know how bad karma effects you ?

If I have one complaint with the game, it would be that I had to shut the background music off becuase for some reason its playing in superfast motion on my PC. If you know how to fix that please say.

Overall 9.99/10 (No game is perfect) Its my favorite Game of all time.

p.s. DOes anyone have a slight bioshock feel when your playing the game ? Its probably the old radio but I have that same feeling which is a good thing since I love Bioshock

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users