Fallout 3

4,429 replies to this topic
gtamann123
  • gtamann123

Bang Bang, Skeet Skeet

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:40 PM

I prefer New Vegas but I never really gave FO3 a fare shake I guess. Its just too dark and depressing and I coild never really get into it. But im going to give it a fair shake now that i have it on ps3
  • 018361 likes this

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:27 AM

No offence Lazyboy, but your idea is sh*t. Enclave, Brotherhood, NCR in the same game would create giant cluster and it also mean that Bethesda would need to make game set on the west coast and that's the last thing we need. 

Enclave would also mean that game had to be set somewhere before 2242, which won't happen. 

Eris
  • Eris

Ghetto Star

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:59 AM

Honestly Bethesda should just try something new with the Commonwealth on the east coast. The last time Bethesda tried using factions from previous games it turned out sh*t.

• Tycek likes this

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 31 January 2014 - 09:04 AM

Exactly, since they're using clean regions without any history and mention in previous games, they can create totally new factions. Reusing old ones isn't their forte, which could be seen in FO3. 

lazy.
  • lazy.

could you PLEASE stop using that f*cking blue font?!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 31 January 2014 - 04:09 PM

No offence Lazyboy, but your idea is sh*t. Enclave, Brotherhood, NCR in the same game would create giant cluster and it also mean that Bethesda would need to make game set on the west coast and that's the last thing we need. 

Enclave would also mean that game had to be set somewhere before 2242, which won't happen.

No no no, I didn't mean NCR and Enclave be in the same game. They were just examples.

It could be any two factions. Enclave vs a new faction.

Or two new factions completely. Preferably military though, for vertibirds and power armour. :D

Daz
  • Daz

Pirandello/Kruger

• Cyclop 9
  • None
  • Best Poster [Gaming] 2015
    Best Poster [Gaming] 2014

Posted 31 January 2014 - 04:21 PM Edited by Daz, 31 January 2014 - 04:23 PM.

Personally all I want is to be some rugged motherf*cker crouching in the rubble with a shotty waiting for inexperienced wastelanders to come by to kill and rob.

The only thing of your idea might work is choosing either a trait or a previous affiliation from your backstory to side with, for example previously a member of a certain group in the game or a previously disbanded group that might have small remnants around. That way you might be able to have certain benefits from starting out, like as you said, military training with power armor, energy weapons. Or as a survivor, better survival skills and setting traps etc. I like the idea of joining groups if you wish but I don't want an NCR vs Legion thing all over again, unless there are some better choices and groups out there that all have a say in the matter.

But in the end all I want is to just start out with a set goal, usually the best is the skyrim/oblivion way of either being imprisoned or trying to escape somewhere which forces you to have no current items. Really all I am looking for is a perfect wasteland experience, I am not a big fan of the future tech aspect of the games. I would prefer to just be creeping around in tunnels avoiding ghouls clutching sporks and teddybears.

Skyrim did it pretty well and despite being dragonborn, you were kind of a bystander to an event that forces you then into situations, as opposed to NV where there is all this backstory and no choice in the matter and your backstory is just written for you.

One thing is for damn sure, I want to already be an adult and a f*cking bad ass one at that. That was the only major annoyance I had with the backstory and lingering story in Fallout 3, was being treated like a kid, despite looking like an awesome bad ass.

I definitely want people to react to me based off how f*cking bad ass I am, children need to f*cking flee as I walk into town.

• B Dawg, Ciaran and theadmiral like this

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

I have moved to a new account.

• BUSTED!
  • India
  • Best Contributor [Gaming] 2012

Posted 31 January 2014 - 04:35 PM

@AceKingston

You call them choices? To kill overseer or not to kill? Blow city or don't. These are choices as complicated as picking croissants over cereal for your breakfast. I want choices affecting the game and ending, not some blah-blahs added to the game to turn it into a RPG. None of them matters, aside from some details (room in Tenpenny Tower or house in Megaton, Overseer alive or dead, etc.). Story will always ends in the same way and what's worse game is forcing you (by showing you the image of your dad, who you should follow or by Three Dog giving you sh*t in the airwaves if you do something not planned by the developers aka you made a choice by your own).

Older Fallouts were giving you choices when you were picking fates for single villages, picking the courses when the world will go after the game and here we got choice that Overseer can be dead and city can be blown up, but apart from erasing it from the map it won't change a thing. Your end is set from the beginning. The Pitt was an example that story can be written in interesting way and there can be interesting choices (too bad it's only one), so there still can be some future for Bethesda.  

Why do the choices need to affect the story for it to be an RPG? Fallout 3 was the first 3D Fallout game developed by a different studio. You can either take the role of a good guy or being the 'evil' guy. Yes it doesn't affect the story but the real question is: does it have to?

Eris
  • Eris

Ghetto Star

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 31 January 2014 - 05:24 PM

In order for the choices to be compelling they should affect the story. Why should I care about any choice if it doesn't change the story at all? Why do I want to play a protagonist who doesn't change the world around them? I don't want to play as some lame asshole who mindlessly follows orders and doesn't do anything to change the outcome of the stories events. 

• 018361 and theadmiral like this

theadmiral
  • theadmiral

Founder And Opening Batsman: Vinewood Cricket Club

• The Precinct
  • Trinidad-and-Tobago

Posted 31 January 2014 - 05:30 PM

In order for the choices to be compelling they should affect the story. Why should I care about any choice if it doesn't change the story at all? Why do I want to play a protagonist who doesn't change the world around them? I don't want to play as some lame asshole who mindlessly follows orders and doesn't do anything to change the outcome of the stories events. 

I agree with you. I don't mind it so much in certain games (IE - GTA) but in Fallout or Skyrim type games you want a bit more choice. Fallout III is the better game, but New Vegas had a better idea when it comes to running the story.

lazy.
  • lazy.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 31 January 2014 - 05:32 PM

well sh*t I don't know, perhaps because the game is fun?

Eris
  • Eris

Ghetto Star

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 31 January 2014 - 06:00 PM

With every post you making it clearer and clearer you don't want to play an RPG but instead want to blow sh*t up with lasers. I'm serious, I think Call of Duty or Battlefield are the games you want to play. 

• Mr. House likes this

Bat Guano
  • Bat Guano

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:52 PM

came here just to remember you of the Fallout 3 writing. Seriously, how could they beat GTA IV at the GDC with THIS? THIS! oh god

jkCiY.jpg

286pno.jpg

• Ciaran, Eris and Mr. House like this

lazy.
  • lazy.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 31 January 2014 - 09:12 PM Edited by Lazyboy., 31 January 2014 - 09:21 PM.

With every post you making it clearer and clearer you don't want to play an RPG but instead want to blow sh*t up with lasers. I'm serious, I think Call of Duty or Battlefield are the games you want to play.

No, Fallout is fun. I just like to have a balance between talking and fighting. Fallout NV has too much talking, and whatever linear games you suggest are for one, not even open world, and two, are constant fighting with nothing inbetween.

Played Fallout 3 once more, and the combat certainly isn't as bad as I remember. Having loads of fun with F3 right now.

One of NV's best moments, honestly, is Goodsprings right at the start. THAT is the balance F4 needs.

You do some talking, introducing you to the area and characters, and then you're faced with a decision. Decision A is some talking, and then a fight.

Decision B is some talking, and then a fight.

Talking, then fighting, then more talking and some more fighting is what we need.

In F:NV, what I hate is that SO MANY battles or fights are mentioned in quests. We think we're going to get a fight.

Do we?

Nope. We're just sent on some trivial task to help the people that DO participate in the fight. When this makes up like 80% of the game it gets a little boring.

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

• BUSTED!
  • India

Posted 01 February 2014 - 01:14 PM Edited by AceKingston, 01 February 2014 - 01:15 PM.

Man, I just love exploring in this game. I find it much more interesting than doing quests. Nothing's better than turning the volume loud and taking in the atmosphere of the game.

I've been hanging out in Rivet City mostly, and I still am discovering new places inside it. Pretty damn awesome.

Ciaran
  • Ciaran

Capitol Crusader

• The Connection
  • Ireland
  • Most Corrupt Staff 2015
    Contribution Award [GTA Online]
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Top c*nt 👍

Posted 01 February 2014 - 02:57 PM Edited by Ciaran, 01 February 2014 - 03:06 PM.

Man, I just love exploring in this game. I find it much more interesting than doing quests. Nothing's better than turning the volume loud and taking in the atmosphere of the game.
I've been hanging out in Rivet City mostly, and I still am discovering new places inside it. Pretty damn awesome.

Exploration is awesome, I'm currently hiding out at Dupont CircleSeward Square fighting some raiders Super Mutants :D

iiConTr0v3rSYx
  • iiConTr0v3rSYx

Warning.... Warning... Controversy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 February 2014 - 03:35 PM

I remember discovering Old Olney for the first time.

I ran for my f*cking life!

• 018361 likes this

Ciaran
  • Ciaran

Capitol Crusader

• The Connection
  • Ireland
  • Most Corrupt Staff 2015
    Contribution Award [GTA Online]
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Top c*nt 👍

Posted 01 February 2014 - 03:43 PM

Lol, I nearly sh*t myself when I saw all those Deathclaws!
  • 018361 likes this

lazy.
  • lazy.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 01 February 2014 - 06:49 PM Edited by Lazyboy., 01 February 2014 - 06:50 PM.

Lol, I nearly sh*t myself when I saw all those Deathclaws!

At that time, I was armed with a Gauss Rifle so I was all "come at me bro".

Right now I'm chilling in Megaton, selling off some junk I collected on my travels lol. My new save is going awesome, much better than I remember my last ones being.

Now I've got to go on long-ass walk to Rivet City. I'll probably take a different path to keep it interesting. I usually just took the metro tunnels, but now I'll probably stay on the surface and go along the river.

I wonder if I'll reach level 30 on this save lol. Most other saves I skip sidequests and start over when I finish the final quest and DLC. 

With this save, I'll probably take it slow, do most sidequests before joining the Brotherhood. Then after Broken Steel, I'll "retire", put my set of Power Armour up for display in my house, do the remaining sidequests then move on to the DLC.

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

• BUSTED!
  • India

Posted 11 February 2014 - 02:43 PM

Small bump. Spoilers ahead, read at your own risk:

Well now I just discovered that you can talk to Moira and tell her not to continue with the Survival guide. I know you lose karma but I haven't saved yet because I have a couple of questions:

1) I have 2 remaining parts in the final chapter. Should I complete both of them or just ask Moira to stop the Guide?

2) Why do you lose karma if you ask Moira not to continue with the guide?

Thanks in advance. :)

theadmiral
  • theadmiral

Founder And Opening Batsman: Vinewood Cricket Club

• The Precinct
  • Trinidad-and-Tobago

Posted 11 February 2014 - 03:43 PM Edited by theadmiral, 11 February 2014 - 03:43 PM.

Small bump. Spoilers ahead, read at your own risk:

Well now I just discovered that you can talk to Moira and tell her not to continue with the Survival guide. I know you lose karma but I haven't saved yet because I have a couple of questions:

1) I have 2 remaining parts in the final chapter. Should I complete both of them or just ask Moira to stop the Guide?

2) Why do you lose karma if you ask Moira not to continue with the guide?

Thanks in advance. :)

1) You should do the remaining objectives to complete the guide. All you get for persuading her to stop it is a stupid perk  (dream crusher) and a discount at craterside supply.

2) You lose karma because you talked her out of her lifelong dream that will help many survivors, and she turns pretty moody after this as well, and that is why they give you the "Dream crusher" perk.

lazy.
  • lazy.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:03 PM Edited by Lazyboy., 11 February 2014 - 09:04 PM.

Went into Paradise Falls with a sniper and a shocksword and took everyone out one by one without being seen.

So much fun.

On my new playthrough actually I've been focusing on sniping and have used melee a lot more. I'm also "travelling lightly". Before, I used to carry like 8 weapons from every category, now I limit myself to three or four, and take a few grenades.

My next quest is heading off to Vault 87, what gear should I bring?

a20characterusername
  • a20characterusername

\_(ツ)_/

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:02 AM Edited by gtarelatedusername2, 12 February 2014 - 09:03 AM.

My next quest is heading off to Vault 87, what gear should I bring?

A radiation suit and some RadAway/Rad-X

You probably already know this, but just in case you don't-- DO NOT approach Vault 87 directly. The surrounding area is so heavily irradiated that you'll die within seconds (plus the door isn't operational anyway). Go through Little Lamplight.

Also, once you go in Vault 87, you won't be coming back for a while, so get some of those sidequests out of the way. ;0

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:10 AM

No offence but what happened to people playing the games by themselves. Can't nobody play the game without goddamned solution and hints?

a20characterusername
  • a20characterusername

\_(ツ)_/

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:15 AM

No offence but what happened to people playing the games by themselves. Can't nobody play the game without goddamned solution and hints?

You're imagining a time that never existed. Walkthroughs, hintlines, and tip magazines have been around for decades.

The only difference between then and now is that the information is more readily accessible.

• Daz likes this

lazy.
  • lazy.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 12 February 2014 - 10:06 AM Edited by Lazyboy., 12 February 2014 - 10:15 AM.

I knew about radiation, I've finished the main quest a few times.

I was thinking weapons, since I'll be fighting super mutants and enclave. i just took a plasma rifle and shocksword and not having many problems. I thought Super Mutant Masters would take more damage, I'm killing them in like 2-3 shots.

On this playthrough I'll actually do all the sidequests this time lol.

The random spawns kind of annoy me though. I took some poor condition metal armour to save weight because I remember seeing metal armour there in an old playthrough.

This time though it changed to combat armour, so that's a bit of a waste.

Also noticed this game lets your character get more skill points.. Level 19 and pretty much all my skills are over 50, aside from Energy Weps, Big Guns, Small Guns and Sneak which are I left at 80-90.

Yogogamer
  • Yogogamer

Playa

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 February 2014 - 01:37 PM

came here just to remember you of the Fallout 3 writing. Seriously, how could they beat GTA IV at the GDC with THIS? THIS! oh god

jkCiY.jpg

286pno.jpg

So, The only reason you posted was to whine about one dialogue tidbit.....

Just go back to fapping to IV.. 

Daz
  • Daz

Pirandello/Kruger

• Cyclop 9
  • None
  • Best Poster [Gaming] 2015
    Best Poster [Gaming] 2014

Posted 12 February 2014 - 02:05 PM

Go get Lincoln's Repeater.

I shot a real one a couple of weekends ago, so damn lovely.

You can get the damage up to around 60 and it can be repaired with hunting rifles. Good for using in battles against Super Muties.

Though I think I prefer the backwater rifle becasue it takes cheap 10mm's. That is if you have the dlc.

Take that with you, and maybe The Terrible Shotgun, using it out of VATS destroys everything especially in sneak.

lazy.
  • lazy.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 12 February 2014 - 07:41 PM

I had the Lincoln's Repeater on my old save, didn't want to "waste" it though so it just stayed on the shelf next to the action abe figure lol.

I picked up that scoped revolver off Agatha, I need to grab the Terrible Shotgun though.

After I've helped the Rangers, guess I'm off to Evergreen Mills with a sniper and the Fat Man.

Mr. House
  • Mr. House

I'm not good with people, but at least I'm not a racist

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 12 February 2014 - 08:09 PM

jkCiY.jpg

286pno.jpg

I'm quoting this because it made me laugh so much.

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 12 February 2014 - 10:41 PM

C'mon FO3 is definitely Game with The Best Writing (it got the award). How can you doubt that :sarcasm:

Don't forget about that piece of their fine writing:

131.jpg

Good luck finding him then. 

Or that,

In fact, you can just shoot dad in the head a bunch of times, ask him for more ammo, shoot dad in the head a bunch of times, ask him for more ammo, shoot dad in the hea…

088.jpg

Apparently Amata knew that your own room is the best place to start looking. The Vault security didn't.

262.jpg

I don't think any comment is needed for this piece of fine writing :sarcasm:

I wonder if Bethesda will make such great game again.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users