4WD in GTA IV?

17 replies to this topic
_Silent.Bob_
  • _Silent.Bob_

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 July 2008 - 12:48 PM

Hi!

Since I started playing the game, i haven't found any 4WD cars. I found out that the Blista is front Wheel Drive. Most cars I tested are simply Rear Wheel Drive. It's easy to find out, just do a burnout and see which wheels start smoking. But unlike GTA San Andreas where the Infernus and Turismo (along others i think) were 4WD, it seems to me there aren't any in GTA IV. Anyone found some? I checked on cars that would burnout the back wheels by holding just the hand brake but none would start spinning the front wheels ike it did in San Andreas...

Anyway, tell me if you know something.

Cheers,

Silent Bob.

Mr. Someguy
  • Mr. Someguy

Gold Member

• Members

Posted 07 July 2008 - 12:51 PM

Most SUV's are 4WD. The Police Patrol (not Police Cruiser) is 4WD.

TinCan
  • TinCan

Prankster

• Members

Posted 07 July 2008 - 01:55 PM

Sultan RS = 4WD

http://www.gta4.net/vehicles/

_Silent.Bob_
  • _Silent.Bob_

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 July 2008 - 02:27 PM

Ok, thanks. I guess it's my testing which wasn't working. In San Andreas, if you had a 4WD car and held the hand brake, it would still go forward thanks to the front wheels. But this time it doesn't work. Kinda strange though, as a hand brake only applies to the rear wheels in real life.

Cheers,

Silent Bob.

Tyedyeskyguy
  • Tyedyeskyguy

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 07 July 2008 - 03:27 PM

I do find it odd that 4wd cars and trucks in this game are able to do rear wheel burnouts. They are definitly 4WD, but only the rear wheels spin durring a burnout.

CaseD
  • CaseD

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 07 July 2008 - 04:44 PM

QUOTE (Tyedyeskyguy @ Jul 7 2008, 15:27)
I do find it odd that 4wd cars and trucks in this game are able to do rear wheel burnouts. They are definitly 4WD, but only the rear wheels spin durring a burnout.

Maybe they have odd handbrakes which deadlock the front wheels for some reason... only explanation. confused.gif

hairy-bear1987
  • hairy-bear1987

Captain Insanity

• Members

Posted 07 July 2008 - 05:27 PM

maybe they are like land rovers and have a transmission handbrake

caladina
  • caladina

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 07 July 2008 - 07:59 PM

patriot, still the best 4wd

JasonThummel
  • JasonThummel

Modeler

• Members

Posted 07 July 2008 - 10:09 PM

Maybe they did it this way so that you can rev the engine?

ferryn
  • ferryn

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 09 July 2008 - 10:22 PM

QUOTE (JasonThummel @ Jul 7 2008, 22:09)
Maybe they did it this way so that you can rev the engine?

Well, you can rev the engine in SA even if it's a 4wd, only what you need to do is slam the brakes, pull the handbrake and put the pedal to the metal.
Easy as simple.

Only, this time in IV you cant burn with the handbrake, i hate it.

Later,

CryptReaperDorian
  • CryptReaperDorian

Boss

• Members

Posted 09 July 2008 - 10:27 PM

The Blista Compact is good for the Swing Glitch since it has 4WD. Cause when you back the car into the swing the back wheels might climb the swing since the front wheels reverse too sending you all the way to the street where you had your first safehouse.

grand theft awesome
  • grand theft awesome

Prankster

• Members

Posted 10 July 2008 - 07:14 AM

The Voodoo Climbs Slowely Forward

*MURDOC*
  • *MURDOC*

Echolocated.

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 10 July 2008 - 07:16 AM

The Blista Compact is good for the Swing Glitch since it has 4WD.

The Blista Compact is FWD man.

KillerAngel
  • KillerAngel

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 10 July 2008 - 11:12 AM

Apparently the comet and infernus are also 4WD, but I much prefer the power distribution and driving style of high-power, high- torque front engine, real wheel drive cars. Also, I rule the school at Gan Turismo. Of course this game is not Gran Turismo, and a vehicle's drivetrain only seems to matter when you get hung up on things.

_Silent.Bob_
  • _Silent.Bob_

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 11 July 2008 - 12:29 AM

QUOTE (TinCan @ Jul 7 2008, 13:55)
http://www.gta4.net/vehicles/

Hi!

I GOT NEWS. FOUND A WAY TO TEST ALL CARS THAT'S 100% RELIABLE, even more than this website link (gta.net/vehicles) which I have to say is great but still contains some mistakes. As all of you, I figured that the handbrake in this GTA is kinda weird. It locks all 4 wheels, unlike real life handbrakes that only apply to rear wheels, thus making it impossible to burn with the front wheels on a 4WD (you could do it in San Andreas). That's what made me believe there were no 4WD cars like in San Andreas this time around. But as you can see on the gta.net/vehicles website, and as many of you said, there are obviously quite a few 4WD cars.

An easy way to check if a car (or truck actually) is FWD, RWD or 4WD is to flip it on it's roof, and watch which wheels spin. I tried it with a couple of SUVs (4WD), a Blista compact (FWD) and a Dukes (RWD), so it seems to be a reliable way to find out.
It's easy to flip cars at the airport, but you'll get 4 stars in single player, which can be quite annoying when you're testing. And while I'm not sure of it I think in multiplayer (where you can disable police and go to the airport) some cars just never spawn. Anyone noticed that too?
So what i do is go to the construction site in Bohan, right next to the Safehouse and Stevie's garage. There's this long slope (an unfinished bridge?) with a jump at the end that's exactly above Stevie's garage. Well, if you drive slowly, you won't jump, but just drop down and most likely land on the roof of the vehicle.

So if anyone's interested in testing their cars, try that...

I figured the NOOSE Patriot is a 4WD like the regular Patriot. On gta.net/vehicles they said it's a RWD. Should we try them all and make a list?

Cheers,

Silent Bob.

_Silent.Bob_
  • _Silent.Bob_

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 13 July 2008 - 09:59 PM

Hi again!

I tested a couple more cars tonight, still using the drop-down-bridge-on-roof technique. So far the only other mistake (beside the NOOSE Patriot which is no RWD but a 4WD)I've found in the list is that the Police Patrol is no 4WD, but a RWD. Maybe the guys who made that list switched those two cars.

I'll continue testing cars, so I'll post again if I find anything new. And just to clear things up: I'm not trying to run down those guys' work, their list at www.gta4.net/vehicles/ is great work (looks good, gives a lot of info). I'm just trying to test cars with my technique, and if I can help ironing out a few mistakes, I'll be glad.

Later,

Silent Bob.

GTA_Robbie
  • GTA_Robbie

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 14 July 2008 - 10:32 AM

You have to understand that the cars can infact be a 4WD but still can spin the rear tyres more. It all depends on the differential it has, if it always get more power to the rear wheels, it's going to spin the rear wheels more. My grammar sucks, but all I'm trying to say is that the car can be spinning it's rear wheels more but it doesn't make it a RWD car.

I may not even be saying the right thing here... blush.gif

_Silent.Bob_
  • _Silent.Bob_

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 14 July 2008 - 10:55 AM

QUOTE (GTA_Robbie @ Jul 14 2008, 10:32)
You have to understand that the cars can infact be a 4WD but still can spin the rear tyres more. It all depends on the differential it has, if it always get more power to the rear wheels, it's going to spin the rear wheels more. My grammar sucks, but all I'm trying to say is that the car can be spinning it's rear wheels more but it doesn't make it a RWD car.

I may not even be saying the right thing here... blush.gif

Good point! Or at least it seems like a possibility to me on some cars.

But on the two cars I tested I think I'm pretty sure: the NOOSE Patriot had all 4 wheels spinning the same way, so I'd say it's definitely a 4WD. And the Police Patrol had ONLY the rear wheels spinning when I throttled (front wheels were completely still, they wouldn't spin at all), so I guess it's a real RWD.

I think if anyone's interested in this FWD, RWD & 4WD thing, best thing is to try flipping the cars on their roofs yourself. Plus it's a rather fun thing to do, although some cars are incredibly hard to flip (they keep getting back on their wheels).

Later,

Silent Bob.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users