Slipknot

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
45 replies to this topic
GodfatherITB
  • GodfatherITB

Dar?

• Members

Posted 26 August 2008 - 07:55 PM

QUOTE (Masterkraft @ Aug 26 2008, 03:23)
Gave it another listen today on the bus and realised it's better after a few listens. Good albums shouldn't work that way, they should hit you instantly, but this is one that grows on you for sure. Choice tracks for me are Vendetta, Gehenna and This Cold Black. icon14.gif

Same here. I'm finding that the more I listen to it, the more I like it. The songs I get into the most are; Gematria (The Killing Name), Phychosocial, Snuff, and All Hope Is Gone.

Craig
  • Craig

Hell Interface

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 August 2008 - 08:47 PM

I do dig Snuff, it reminds me of Circle from Subliminal, but with more of a build up. I agree with what brz59 said about Gehenna too, I heard he'd done something really different with his voice in terms of vocal deliverance and this was it. Totally unexpected but very welcome.

xxxSIDESH0Wxxx
  • xxxSIDESH0Wxxx

North Holland Hustlers

• Members

Posted 26 August 2008 - 09:55 PM

slipknot is great. i saw em 3rd row center at ozzfest awhile back and i must say, they put on one of the best shows ever. freakin' psycho!
the first song on the first album is an instant classic!
i'll have to check out the newer stuff...

Digital Murders
  • Digital Murders

&?

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 26 August 2008 - 11:00 PM Edited by Digital Murders, 26 August 2008 - 11:10 PM.

I got this today, I've listened to it all the way through about 4 times...the fourth time I stopped listening at "Gehenna".

Being a long time Slipknot fan, I'd have to say this album is mediocre at best. A lot of it is just your recycled metal bullsh*t. A blast beat here, some double bass here and a dash of solo here. (Not to mention that a lot of the solo's just seem really out of place) There's really nothing that stands out about it to me. Which says a lot seeing as my favorite release from them was "Iowa" which contained nothing of what I just said above. But when I thought of Slipknot, the first thing that used to come to mind was aggression. I believe they've lost a lot of that. That's what made them, them.

Not to say that this isn't a step in the right direction for them, because I believe this is definitely better than that vomit they released "Vol. 3", but they need to keep the commercial success of Stone Sour out of Slipknot.

Oh, and f*ck Corey Taylor's egocentric ass.

If I were to rate this album on a scale of 0-5, I'd give it a 2.8. A 3 at best.

EDIT
Oh and what I mean by aggression is, you can scream these badass lyrics all you want, but does it have soul? When I first heard "Disasterpiece", I really felt like he was going to slit my throat and f*ck the wound. It sounded like he meant it. Which is the reason why I mention Corey Taylor being an asshole.

supernova_goes_pop
  • supernova_goes_pop

Rat

• Members

Posted 27 August 2008 - 06:50 AM

got my reserved special edition as soon as the shop opened. the album is boss. my favorite track right now is "gematria (the killing name)", but i've only listened to the album like 3 times so far. i love it when he says "we'll burn your cities down!!" i hear slipknot's "iowa" and "vol.3" mixed with stone sour's "come what(ever) may" and some "stone sour". really don't know, but i don't hear too much influence from the self titled release on this. except sid's scratching doesn't seem as silent. i'll give it a few more listens and type some more thoughts about it at some other time. another track i'm feeling is "snuff" because it is different and right between two heavier tracks. devil.gif oh, and yea "gehenna" really did remind me of korn the first time as others mentioned already.

Gtapoptart
  • Gtapoptart

You Cannot Kill What You Did Not Create.

• Members

Posted 30 August 2008 - 06:13 PM

Got mine on Tuesday, Fav tracks have to be Gematria, Wherin Lies Continue, and Psychosocial. This is one of their better albums, but it's not Perfect. Snuff was a little too soft for me, but Wherein Lies Continue's intro sounded more like Slayer, so I loved that song. Top 2 bands for me would be Slayer and Slipknot. This Album is definitely worth buying.

4.5 out of 5. icon14.gif

Sixdust
  • Sixdust

April 2nd, V2

• Members

Posted 01 September 2008 - 02:33 PM

Worst slipknot cd ever. Each Cd is worse than the previous. M.F.K.R>Slipknot>Iowa>Vol 3.>All Hope is gone. It sounds like Taylor is trying to make Slipknot Stone sour. Epic Fail.

apache77pilot
  • apache77pilot

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 01 September 2008 - 03:19 PM

QUOTE (Sixdust @ Sep 1 2008, 14:33)
Worst slipknot cd ever. Each Cd is worse than the previous. M.F.K.R>Slipknot>Iowa>Vol 3.>All Hope is gone. It sounds like Taylor is trying to make Slipknot Stone sour. Epic Fail.

slipknot and stone sour are both amazing. and always will be.

gematria is bye far my fav. song off this album. taylors voice is amazing.

EricDraven_GTACrow
  • EricDraven_GTACrow

Jesus Christ Poltergeist

• Members

Posted 01 September 2008 - 06:21 PM

Ugh, this cd is horrible. It has a couple mediocre songs and alot of sh*tty generic sounding songs and wtf is up with there being acoustic songs on the last 2 albums. I give it a 2 out of 10.

Hart
  • Hart

who are you

• Members

Posted 02 September 2008 - 01:28 PM

This isnt about All Hope is Gone but, on Wait and Bleed does he say:

I felt the air rise up in me

OR (this makes more sense)

I felt the hate rise up in me

If you go on Youtube most of the comments are argueing which one he says.

??

Craig
  • Craig

Hell Interface

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 September 2008 - 01:43 PM

It's "felt the hate". Tell them to read the lyrics book to the self titled album which they should own, then they can start arguing.

Digital Murders
  • Digital Murders

&?

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 02 September 2008 - 08:34 PM

Speaking of the self-titled (yes, what masterkraft said) I listened to it today followed by "All Hope is Gone" and I couldn't believe the change. The self-titled had so much funk influence to it. Besides for the rapping, that whole CD is just f*cking fantastic. AHIG is just boring.

Craig
  • Craig

Hell Interface

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 September 2008 - 08:44 PM

I think my favourites are Mate Feed Kill Repeat and Iowa. I used to hate Iowa, but I looked beyond the fact it was a second album and the expectations I had with it being a self titled successor just dissolved. The perfect album for me would be a cross between these two, something which All Hope Is Gone failed to deliver. It's a fantastic CD but I was expecting something more. I dig the funk influence of MFKR and Slipknot though.

MrJohn666
  • MrJohn666

citizen erased

• Members

Posted 05 September 2008 - 12:37 PM

QUOTE (Gabriel Constantin @ Aug 19 2008, 22:15)
They're bearable. Just. My girlfriend likes them, but I certainly wouldn't call myself a "fan." Though the newest single is pretty catchy.

There's one thing to take into consideration with Slipknot: Do you really think they'd be this big if it wasn't for the mask gimmick?

Mr Bungle wore boiler suits and masks many, many years ago and in spite of Mike Patton being in the then successful "Faith No More", got no further career-wise.

IMG isn't working, but here's a link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr._Bungle (http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Mr._Bungle) (http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Mr._Bungle)

I like some of SlipKnot's stuff, if they didn't exist, you'd have to invent them.
wink.gif

TyphoonJames
  • TyphoonJames

King Cobra

• Members

Posted 21 December 2008 - 09:29 PM

Psychosocial kicks major ass.

Moonshield
  • Moonshield

amplifier worship

• Mongolia

Posted 21 December 2008 - 11:28 PM