For PC gamers

7,322 replies to this topic
Diego Mustard
  • Diego Mustard

Ultimate Criminal

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 28 September 2013 - 11:51 AM

Though, once again, even if this "fails" they'll still achieve one thing, and that is bringing more games to Linux users.

I don't see the SteamOS achieving anything. They already achieved bringing more games to Linux, that's called Steam for Linux. They should encourage developers to making Mac/Linux ports and give them the tools for so, rather than make a Linux distro made for the living room.

AllenKS
  • AllenKS

SoLoville

• Members

Posted 28 September 2013 - 12:47 PM Edited by AllenKS, 28 September 2013 - 12:53 PM.

They should encourage developers to making Mac/Linux ports and give them the tools for so, rather than make a Linux distro made for the living room.

But.. That's exactly what they're doing?.. The developers already have the tools, the encouragement comes in increasing the install base for Linux, and stripping away the importance of Windows. Which is what the SteamOS is trying to do.

Yeah it may just be Unbuntu with Steam pre-loaded to it, or however they decide to handle it, but with a (relatively) big name like "Valve" behind it, they may get some people to pick it up for that reason alone who would've never got Linux otherwise. (See: all the massive fan hype across the net.)

People are suckers for name brands.

Diego Mustard
  • Diego Mustard

Ultimate Criminal

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 28 September 2013 - 01:17 PM Edited by Diego Mustard, 28 September 2013 - 01:22 PM.

I don't think you can strip Windows' importance either... first, its the most used computer OS on the planet, no matter what Windows OS it is. Secondly, a big part of people are too used to it that they won't travel to Linux or Mac, and of course, speak about it having the biggest program base out of the three main OSes. Thirdly, people who will jump from Windows to any Linux distro be it SteamOS itself will find a learning curve, this learning curve is what makes Windows 8 bad. And finally, I don't think MS wanted to restrict program making, otherwise the traditional desktop would've not been there with usual .exe installing, right? If they wanted to do that, they have to make it exactly like Apple's iOS; apps from outside the appstore are thrown out of the window till you jailbreak. No, you get the desktop and can also install programs, so the developer fuss against Windows 8 being more closed is... I don't really understand it. (Unless its of course, the Windows 8 exclusive games and apps)

Those who will get SteamOS because its made by "Valve" might find themselves getting back very soon to Windows because of the learning curve, I hope they do so because Valve's efforts are directed to the wrong way, and so, these efforts must die miserably to serve a lesson for listening to the entire base rather than a part of it. Because a minority only seems to be interested in Big Picture.

And even if they do Half-Life 3 as an exclusive on it, it will be developed in Linux, so basically any Linux distro would run it. It will serve nothing.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users