Photo

For PC gamers

7,322 replies to this topic
Vextroid
  • Vextroid

F,F,D,U -> (D+BLK+LP+LK)

• Members

Posted 15 September 2013 - 04:24 PM

Does anyone know a free screen capture software that doesn't blow ass? 

I just built a new gaming rig and I was wanting to record some gameplay and take screens at 1080p. I don't care if the file sizes are big as long as the quality is top notch

What's wrong with Fraps?

Free version of Fraps doesn't have a gameplay capture option as far as I'm aware. It can only take screenshots in .BMP format.

FRAPS can take video but the free version limits it to 30 seconds and watermarked.

It can't take screenshots (AFAIK) but you may want to look into OBS (Open Broadcaster Software) don't be fooled by the name, you can set it up to record locally.

Street Mix
  • Street Mix

Boss

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:52 AM Edited by Street Mix, 17 September 2013 - 07:53 AM.

Valve: "93% of Steam Users Born on January 1st"

http://www.thenoblee...steamusers.html

"It's hard to say exactly why so many babies are born on New Year's as opposed to other days of the year," Newell ponders. "There are many theories floating around the Valve offices, and we have even hired some outside help to determine what the causes are. They've been working diligently for a couple years now, and though they have yet to discover anything conclusive, I remain confident they will find something soon."

:lol: :lol:

s-paco
  • s-paco

Still here.

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 10:54 PM

Am i the only one replaying older GTA games, just to get the feeling again?

I have SR4 and enjoyed it, but it doesn't come close to any GTA game. Might even reinstall Max Payne 3, damnit. I need my R* dose already!

The Killa
  • The Killa

Diet Water Please

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 18 September 2013 - 02:39 AM

PC gaming has spoiled me.

GTAV looks absolutely bloody terrible. Jaggies, low textures, framerate drops. I've seriously never seen textures this bad in a game.

Really really hope this comes out for PC soon.

Street Mix
  • Street Mix

Boss

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 19 September 2013 - 11:32 PM

Indeed. Mafia 2 looked better even on my old PC. Same for R* title MP3. + JC2, Driver SF and go on.

nightwalker83
  • nightwalker83

Don't mind me

• Members

Posted 23 September 2013 - 03:13 AM

It can't take screenshots

It can do both if I recall correctly F9 (Default for video) F10 (Default for Screenshots) although, my version of FRAPS several years old by now they might have changed the functionality.

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

Generic GTA Username™

• Members
  • India

Posted 23 September 2013 - 03:19 AM

GTAV looks absolutely bloody terrible. Jaggies, low textures, framerate drops. I've seriously never seen textures this bad in a game.

All the evidence points to a 2013 PC release. So, there is some hope that we will get it this year.

The Killa
  • The Killa

Diet Water Please

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:29 AM

All the evidence points to a 2013 PC release. So, there is some hope that we will get it this year.

I hope by "evidence" you don't mean haphazardly clinging onto stupid rumors.

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

Generic GTA Username™

• Members
  • India

Posted 24 September 2013 - 03:29 AM Edited by AceKingston, 24 September 2013 - 03:30 AM.

I hope by "evidence" you don't mean haphazardly clinging onto stupid rumors.

I'm not talking about the 'Amazon lists GTA V for PC' or 'Nvidia leaks GTA V for PC', I'm talking about legit configuration codes and other stuff found in the pirated 360 version.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Boob groper

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:42 AM

No one wants to talk about SteamOS? Really?

BananLaks
  • BananLaks

Trick

• Members

Posted 24 September 2013 - 11:47 AM

No one wants to talk about SteamOS? Really?

SteamOS is cool, but I got no use of it.

GTA V will take like ages to download on my connection. It will be like 45+ GB.

AllenKS
  • AllenKS

SoLoville

• Members

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:55 PM Edited by AllenKS, 24 September 2013 - 12:58 PM.

Yeah, Linux is just too sh*tty as a gaming platform currently to get me excited about it in any way. I don't have a PC in my living room, I don't ever even go in the "living room", my PC monitors are my TVs, so I have no use for the remote streaming, or family share or any of that stuff.

I also think they'll announce "The Steam Box" as one of their big announcements, but that too is a little to late to be a game changer, it was a marvel idea last year, "a living room box with PC components and x86 architecture? If this thing gets a large enough install base, porting to PC will be easier and too profitable for devs to pass up!"

Come to find out, both of the next gen consoles are already doing that, which means we're already guaranteed more ports/multi-platform games this console gen (sucks that we're still just getting "ports" at all, but hey). Only thing a theoretical Steam Box/OS has going for it now is being upgradeable/moddable by any hardware manufacturer, and really that will only lead to the same problems Linux has with driver issues and software conflicts..

I'm way more excited about what Sony wants to do with Gaikai. If it all works out I'll never have to buy a PS4. Then again if it works out they don't really even need to sell any PS4s.

Kuruma.
  • Kuruma.

turnt up

• The Yardies
  • Scotland

Posted 24 September 2013 - 01:41 PM

I don't really get the whole SteamOS thing, are we supposed to download an entirely new operating system just so we can play games in our living room? I'm all for adding the aspect of being able to sit on the couch while playing games on a larger screen than having to sit at a computer desk to play games on my pc but I'm definitely not up for having to change the operating system on my computer and not even be able to play all of the games I own to do so.

AllenKS
  • AllenKS

SoLoville

• Members

Posted 24 September 2013 - 02:02 PM Edited by AllenKS, 24 September 2013 - 02:11 PM.

I don't really get the whole SteamOS thing, are we supposed to download an entirely new operating system just so we can play games in our living room? I'm all for adding the aspect of being able to sit on the couch while playing games on a larger screen than having to sit at a computer desk to play games on my pc but I'm definitely not up for having to change the operating system on my computer and not even be able to play all of the games I own to do so.

Really I think it's only for the people who have gaming PCs in one room, but have their main TV and ANOTHER non-gaming computer in another room. With Steam OS you'd be able to stream things from your gaming PC, to the PC with Steam OS, to plug into your main TV.

To be honest, the more I think about it, the stupider it sounds. I guess it'll fill a niche for those people, as well as people who want a free operating system for their gaming PCs?

That about it. Really this is only a good thing if your OS of choice is Linux, because if this works out, Valve can push devs to make SteamOS version of their games, which means making pretty much Linux versions.

I'm like the only person left in the world who actually prefers Windows, so this means absolutely nothing for me.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Boob groper

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 24 September 2013 - 05:39 PM

The amount of ignorance and shortsightedness in this topic is making me sad. I shouldn't have brought it up.

AllenKS
  • AllenKS

SoLoville

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:59 AM Edited by AllenKS, 25 September 2013 - 09:17 AM.

The amount of ignorance and shortsightedness in this topic is making me sad. I shouldn't have brought it up.

I love people who insult others while contributing nothing to the conversation at hand.

Gets me rock hard.

There's absolutely nothing SteamOS stands to do for general PC gaming unless it becomes a huge success, like, Windows level success where it's the primary platform for PC ports, and I don't see that happening. Even if it does, Windows isn't going to go anywhere as a PC gaming platform, the install base is way too large. So devs will just have to spend even more money to make even more versions of their games, which either means more expensive games, or games that aren't as large in scope, or even worst case scenario, back to a situation where many games just skip PC altogether.

Yay for the further fragmentation of the PC gaming market?

As of right now, without a gigantic dollop of wishful thinking and hopes of massive revolution where everyone drops Windows and adopts a new OS, all the Steam OS offers is a supposed performance boost for certain games in the tiny library of games that actually have a Linux version. All it's going to do if it becomes somewhat successful is spur the creation of more Linux games/Linux ports of big triple-A games, and result in people taking OpenGL seriously again. Even with a successful launch, and huge install base, we won't even start to see the effects of SteamOS until 5+ years down the line.

Noooot to eveeeeen mention that a Unix based, gaming focused OS isn't enticing to anyone but hardcore gamers, and history has already proved time and again that gaming revolutions always ride on the back of the casual gamer. Ironically, because of this, the Next-Gen consoles stand to do way more things in the immediate future for PC gaming than a new OS does.

If you see something that I'm not getting feel free to enlighten.

• Crokey likes this

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Thou shalt not commit logical fallacies

• United-Kingdom

Posted 26 September 2013 - 10:06 AM

I don't know, Android is a Linux derivative and these days it basically owns the mobile gaming market and is the fastest growing gaming platform basically ever. Also many of the issues you highlight with Linux derived builds were apt four or five years ago and not so much these days. Plenty of Linux OS versions that work reliably out of the box and that trend is only increasing now more hardware manufacturers are working with hardware primarily designed to interface with the Linux kernel.

AllenKS
  • AllenKS

SoLoville

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 12:51 PM

I don't know, Android is a Linux derivative and these days it basically owns the mobile gaming market and is the fastest growing gaming platform basically ever. Also many of the issues you highlight with Linux derived builds were apt four or five years ago and not so much these days. Plenty of Linux OS versions that work reliably out of the box and that trend is only increasing now more hardware manufacturers are working with hardware primarily designed to interface with the Linux kernel.

Not even going to lie, I don't exactly keep up with Linux developments, so my info on the quality and driver support is probably dated, but most of the other stuff I said still stands. Even if the OS becomes largely successful, it only stands to improve gaming on Linux-based systems.. It does nothing for a PC gamer who is content with Windows except I guess potentially scaring Microsoft into shying away from policies that try to force you to upgrade your OS like locking Direct X11+ from XP, and locking Direct X11.1 to Windows 8 and such. That would admittedly be great, but it's the only real change you'd experience if you didn't want to change your OS.

For a person that wants to keep the extensive library of gaming and non-gaming applications that Windows already provides, as well as the more casual user who wouldn't want to ever fiddle around with having to find drivers or worse yet, finding out that the program they want isn't supported, there's really no reason to hop over to the SteamOS.

Finally, as everyone's been speculating for 2 years now, Valve just announced the Steam Boxes (Steam Machines), and it's even clearer that this Steam OS isn't supposed to revolutionize PC gaming, it's to revolutionized CONSOLE gaming, and bring them both closer to singularity.

See if Valve can win big in the living room with a "console" that is 100% a computer, then people will come to expect that quality from all the other consoles, and they'll have to provide it. That is a huge hypothetical however because I don't think the average casual joe who only buys COD or GTA for their console knows jack sh*t about Valve, or cares. Valve may be huge for PC gamers, but to your average console player who only owns a macbook? They don't even exist.

They pretty much have to pull an Xbox, without the "being a household name like Microsoft" part. That's going to be hard as f*ck to do. The way it would have to go down is to put out some serious marketing dollars forward. They have to show people that this isn't the console they're used to:

Upgradeable parts that you just snap in!

Actual programs! (You know Firefox/Chrome/Opera that you use on your computer? We got that sh*t right here!) This is YOUR console, use it how YOU want to! (YEAH!)

Optimized games that look better and run faster than any other system on the market!

Finally they need some kind of huge exclusive system seller.. Something like Halo was for Xbox. Half-Life 3, maybe.

If that goes off great and gets a chunky install base, eventually, with some help from developers then you might have something where Sont/Microsoft have to put out their own open platforms or die... If the casual gamer will even stomach such a system.

With the way they have this thing set up, anyone can make hardware at any time for a Steam Machine, or make a whole new Steam Machine, more and more hardware manufacturers will start pushing out Steam Machine hardware including short cutters using shoddy parts, all of a sudden you have 4 different ATI steam machines, 2 Nvidia steam machines, an Intel steam machine, Gigabyte has theirs, Rosewill whoever, some random Chinese company uses 4th world parts... Now you have Steam Machines with all kinds of prices from $300 monstrosities to intimidating $1300 enthusiast boxes, as a casual gamer isn't that exactly what scares them away from PCs? Isn't that the exact kind of thing they pay NOT to deal with? Macs aren't popular for no reason.. Consoles didn't get this popular for no reason. They pay to not have to ask questions at the check out counter.

Which one do I buy? Are the parts going to be compatible? The $600 one looks good, but how long will that last me? Will I have to upgrade in 3 months? Oh look the "Steam Machine 2.0 CPU with 6 cores, running at 3.2ghz, with 16 gb ram, and Nvidia GTX 880M..." BLAH BLAH BLAH, what the f*ck is this sh*t?

For those reasons, I'm interested in exactly how Valve plans to sell affordable gaming PCs to the casual market, while not only avoiding all of those problems, but making a profit and establishing dominance as well. At the end of the day, a market with only PC-based open platform machines sounds like great idea, but there will always be a market for closed platform boxes. Why buy the "ATI Radeon Windstorm Pro Steam Machine 8GB version" for $800, when I can just pick up a Playstation 5 for $600 and be for the next 7 years?

I know why, and you know why, but not only does the average gamer NOT know why, they don't even care.

AllenKS
  • AllenKS

SoLoville

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 12:52 PM

Holy sh*t that's a huge ass post.

I didn't even mean to write that much.

zZzHvuX.gif

Street Mix
  • Street Mix

Boss

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 26 September 2013 - 12:54 PM Edited by Street Mix, 26 September 2013 - 01:09 PM.

Was interested in SteamOS until I read that it's made primarily for TVs and that it's gaming-based OS. This won't fly on PC.

I'm way more excited about what Sony wants to do with Gaikai. If it all works out I'll never have to buy a PS4. Then again if it works out they don't really even need to sell any PS4s.

Even if they do it, they won't stream PS4 games (until 2022 or so I guess). Though streamed PS2 and PS3 games would be nice too.

AllenKS
  • AllenKS

SoLoville

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 01:10 PM Edited by AllenKS, 26 September 2013 - 01:19 PM.

Was interested in SteamOS until I read that it's made primarly for TVs and that it's gaming-based OS. This won't fly on PC.

Even if they do it, they won't stream PS4 games (until 2022 or so I guess). Though streamed PS2 and PS3 games would be nice too.

Well the PS4 probably wouldn't have a decent library until about year 4 anyways, so I could wait, but I think you take Sony for granted. Playstation Plus's instant game collection for example, gives you new games (1-2ish years old) at a decent rate as well as brand new indie titles, and retro arcade games for a meager price tag of $6 a month. They've given everything from Deus Ex Human Revolution to Red Dead Redemption to Uncharted 3 like 1 year after release. (Europe just got Far Cry 3 [2012], Giana Sisters: Twisted Deams [2013] and Dragons Dogma: Dark Arisen [2012] for free this month)

For ~10 bucks a month and have the entire catalog of PS3 exclusives on my PC, as well as some PS4 exclusives 1-2 years after release? I'd jump into that deal no problem. Saves me on not having to miss out on the good stuff, and nets Sony a customer they wouldn't otherwise have, as well as another home to pump 3rd party advertising and commercials into.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Boob groper

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 26 September 2013 - 02:19 PM Edited by GTAvanja, 26 September 2013 - 02:30 PM.

It seems that PC hardware and software developers are sick and tired of Microsoft. SteamOS + AMD's Mantle API could replace Windows and DirectX. And I want them to. If Microsoft wants to be stupid enough to neglect PC gaming, they deserve to have that particular aspect of their business taken away from them. I can't wait to hear more about AMD's new API. AMD had said that it will be fully supported in Battlefield 4, replacing DirectX 11 and having better performance. Sounds awesome. I might buy Battlefield 4 just to see how that works. And since that's probably the same API that the PS4 will be using, porting from PS4 to PC and vice versa will hopefully be a lot easier. Damn, it's good to be a PC gamer these days.

EDIT: Ken Levine seems to like the idea of SteamOS

http://www.pcgamer.c...-powerful-idea/

What people seem to be forgetting about open source operating systems is that if the OS is good enough, and if you have a large enough user base, someone will find a way to make everything you need compatible on that OS. If not the developers of the software you need, then users themselves. It will take some time, but this thing could actually have a negative impact on Microsoft's OS business. The only thing that Windows has over Linux is video game compatibility. And they even have a solution for that with local streaming. SteamOS might not replace your current version of Windows, but it can make future Windows OS redundant. And that's enough for me.

AllenKS
  • AllenKS

SoLoville

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 03:37 PM

It seems that PC hardware and software developers are sick and tired of Microsoft. SteamOS + AMD's Mantle API could replace Windows and DirectX. And I want them to. If Microsoft wants to be stupid enough to neglect PC gaming, they deserve to have that particular aspect of their business taken away from them. I can't wait to hear more about AMD's new API. AMD had said that it will be fully supported in Battlefield 4, replacing DirectX 11 and having better performance. Sounds awesome. I might buy Battlefield 4 just to see how that works. And since that's probably the same API that the PS4 will be using, porting from PS4 to PC and vice versa will hopefully be a lot easier. Damn, it's good to be a PC gamer these days.

EDIT: Ken Levine seems to like the idea of SteamOS

http://www.pcgamer.c...-powerful-idea/

What people seem to be forgetting about open source operating systems is that if the OS is good enough, and if you have a large enough user base, someone will find a way to make everything you need compatible on that OS. If not the developers of the software you need, then users themselves. It will take some time, but this thing could actually have a negative impact on Microsoft's OS business. The only thing that Windows has over Linux is video game compatibility. And they even have a solution for that with local streaming. SteamOS might not replace your current version of Windows, but it can make future Windows OS redundant. And that's enough for me.

No I totally get it, I even said that we'd start seeing the effects of it 5+ years from now, and that what it will do is revitalize Linux and OpenGL, force Microsoft into competition where Microsoft can no longer lock whole versions of DirectX behind paywalls and such, as well as increasing the general number of console ports because OpenGL is compatible with everything.

It's all there in my very long, almost ranting, posts above.

It is a good thing for PC gamers, but in a roundabout "stopping Microsoft from being a dick" way, and not a "this is the revolution, pick up your weapons!" kind of way. Through it all I'll probably still stick to Windows since I'm already used to all the navigation menus, macros, programs, settings, and folder locations and what not, so again this doesn't mean much at all to me except that Windows 9 or 10 won't force me to upgrade to utilize new versions of Direct X and such.

Again, I'm probably the only person left who's quite content with what Windows offers, and isn't waiting to jump ship as soon as the opportunity arises. Especially since if Steam OS is a success it pretty much guarantees that Windows won't get -worse-, as well as all of that stuff being open source pretty much means that if it does get really really good Microsoft can cannibalize any of it directly into Windows, so I'll never have to leave home to get the latest and greatest.

• BananLaks likes this

Diego Mustard
  • Diego Mustard

Ultimate Criminal

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 27 September 2013 - 09:30 AM

Guys, stop hyping on SteamOS (and Big Picture). Its just another Linux distro.

http://kingbowserpoo...inion-403268190

^My opinion of it.

AllenKS
  • AllenKS

SoLoville

• Members

Posted 28 September 2013 - 01:05 AM

^My opinion of it.

Err, although I can see where you're coming from on certain issues, I think you have the wrong idea about who the market for this is, other than those people who draw Gabe Newell as Jesus/God and would buy anything he makes ever.

The SteamOS is pretty much useless, and will be for a long time to any dedicated PC gamer. On that I agree, as you can see from my comments above. The thing is that if the Steam Machines project works (which again, I highly doubt) and can get a giant console-sized install base behind it, THEN developers will start making more Linux games, OpenGL might lead the market as a build API, which means more multiplatform games (including Windows PC) in general, competition for future Windows OS and all of that other good stuff.

IF it works. I'm still extremely skeptical on just how many console users will want to bother with a pre-built PC, and really the only way I see them buying, is if they're tricked into thinking it's NOT a PC. If console users wanted a gaming PC, they would buy one. If PC gamers wanted a console, we'd buy one, and probably already have them.

If the Steam Machines work, it'll take ~5 years for the positive effects to start kicking it. Steam OS itself won't be useful until even longer than that, maybe 10+ years. A decade from now Windows Next vs. SteamOS might be a tough choice, but as of right now, I'm not giving up my game library or top notch driver support on Gabe's say so.

That being said, if it can work you're right, it won't revolutionize a damn thing and people need to calm down, but you're wrong if you don't think it would at least shake things up.

Street Mix
  • Street Mix

Boss

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 28 September 2013 - 05:28 AM Edited by Street Mix, 28 September 2013 - 06:53 AM.

This new Steam controller looks a bit revolutionary. I wanna pick it up for Windows PC (and possibly PS3). I wonder if it works outside Steam.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Thou shalt not commit logical fallacies

• United-Kingdom

Posted 28 September 2013 - 06:34 AM

^My opinion of it.

I don't mean to be a dick, but pretty much every new operating system is "just another Linux distro". That doesn't mean that Android hasn't taken over the world. AllenKS is completely correct in his analysis- that this isn't a tool for devs as you seem to be implying but a hybrid console-PC operating system that's designed for basic usability and therefore forgoes many of the traditional attributes of a Linux-based OS. It's Linux in framework only.
  • AllenKS likes this

AllenKS
  • AllenKS

SoLoville

• Members

Posted 28 September 2013 - 10:25 AM Edited by AllenKS, 28 September 2013 - 10:29 AM.

^My opinion of it.

I don't mean to be a dick, but pretty much every new operating system is "just another Linux distro". That doesn't mean that Android hasn't taken over the world. AllenKS is completely correct in his analysis- that this isn't a tool for devs as you seem to be implying but a hybrid console-PC operating system that's designed for basic usability and therefore forgoes many of the traditional attributes of a Linux-based OS. It's Linux in framework only.

Exactly, Valve doesn't want to turn your PC into a console, it wants to turn console gamer's consoles into PCs.

If it succeeds, then PC gamers will always be the first in mind for every single project, or at least not an afterthought. 10 years from now, in the sunniest possible future as a result of the Steam OS/Steam Machines, the only difference between a "PC" and a "console" will be what room it's located in. (Obligatory "IF it works.")

The Steam OS/Linux isn't the star of this show, the Steam Machines are. They just needed an open source OS to stick in the box, and using Linux is pretty much the best choice. In fact, I'd bet my asshole on Steam OS being, more specifically, Unbuntu-based.

This new Steam controller looks a bit revolutionary. I wanna pick it up for Windows PC (and possibly PS3). I wonder if it works outside Steam.

Yeah it looks pretty good. Also looks super f*cking expensive as well.. A high resolution screen in the middle of it? Rumble whats-its that can function as speakers? Super accurate secret touchpad technology?

I wouldn't be surprised if this thing retailed for $100+, which makes me scared of the price of the systems if they're gonna come packaged with it.. The more I hear about these things, the less faith I have in this plan of theirs actually succeeding. You're not going to sell a ~$700 anything to console gamers, especially not when the next-gen systems are right around the corner. In fact, this is slated to come out way AFTER the next-gen systems already hit the market. I think Valve are either really overconfident on what their name means to the average buyer, or are not telling us something really important in this plan of theirs.

Namely, how much does this future cost?

Diego Mustard
  • Diego Mustard

Ultimate Criminal

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 28 September 2013 - 10:29 AM

Well, at least Android is a special Linux distro; its made primarily for smartphones and tablets, made for freedom that iOS wouldn't give anyways. Maybe iOS is also another Linux distro here?

Plus, I didn't see much hype over a Linux distro made for a purpose that'll fail; if I wanted coach gaming, I can get a PS or XBox and play on my coach with native controller settings, etc. I did not go to my PC, and sitting on the desk and chair, so Valve could make this living room gimmick. Gabe is not changing PC gaming nor revolutionizing it. He's making a gimmick that'll hopefully cost them more than earn them. If he made a freaking Steam app for PS3 and X360 to stream games, or made the Steam Box come with Windows 8 regardless of how closed MS wants it to be, that would be better. They're only putting themselves face to face with MS and Sony. Why do I ever need to give up my keyboard, mouse, 2 feet monitor desk and chair, for the controller and the coach and a 10 feet monitor?

Stop being silly, Valve, fix your damn client then do the "not-aimed at PC gamers" gimmicks you want to do.

AllenKS
  • AllenKS

SoLoville

• Members

Posted 28 September 2013 - 10:48 AM Edited by AllenKS, 28 September 2013 - 10:49 AM.

Well, at least Android is a special Linux distro; its made primarily for smartphones and tablets, made for freedom that iOS wouldn't give anyways. Maybe iOS is also another Linux distro here?

Plus, I didn't see much hype over a Linux distro made for a purpose that'll fail; if I wanted coach gaming, I can get a PS or XBox and play on my coach with native controller settings, etc. I did not go to my PC, and sitting on the desk and chair, so Valve could make this living room gimmick. Gabe is not changing PC gaming nor revolutionizing it. He's making a gimmick that'll hopefully cost them more than earn them. If he made a freaking Steam app for PS3 and X360 to stream games, or made the Steam Box come with Windows 8 regardless of how closed MS wants it to be, that would be better. They're only putting themselves face to face with MS and Sony. Why do I ever need to give up my keyboard, mouse, 2 feet monitor desk and chair, for the controller and the coach and a 10 feet monitor?

Stop being silly, Valve, fix your damn client then do the "not-aimed at PC gamers" gimmicks you want to do.

That's where I (kinda) agree with you. It's hard to see console gamers jumping ship to a PC, or dedicated PC gamers picking up an extra PC they could have built themselves.. The only market I can see is the guy who just built a PC and doesn't have money for Windows so he installs the Steam OS, or the guy who always wanted a PC but found the process of finding your own parts and installing all of your drivers and stuff too scary so he buys a Steam Machine.

That doesn't sound like a huge market at all, and it's certainly not the one they need for their plan to be a success. For them to succeed they pretty much have to bamboozle console gamers into buying it, and once there, pray to god that they don't find the ingame settings and turn AA, Shadows, and SSAO to [Extreme]/[Very High] for every game and sell the thing back for "not being as good as a PS4/Xbone".

Though, once again, even if this "fails" they'll still achieve one thing, and that is bringing more games to Linux users.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users