Photo

Metallica's new album: Death Magnetic

177 replies to this topic
007 RoadRunner
  • 007 RoadRunner

ЯR

• Members

Posted 15 June 2008 - 05:17 PM

Today the title of Metallica's new studio album has been revealed with a video on Mission Metallica.

On Mission Metallica are also previews of the new album.
Trailer:

Preview video #1
Preview video #2
Preview video #3
Preview video #4

Rolling Stone Official Preview
So what do you think so far?
I think this is definetly an improvement from St. Anger and with the Rolling Stone preview I think we're looking at Metallica's best album in 17 years.

Scarface187
  • Scarface187

Putting out the fire with gasoline.

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 15 June 2008 - 05:40 PM

Saying its an improvement from St. Anger doesn't say much. I don't think they could go any lower than that.

Listening to some of the riffs in these previews I actually think it sounds pretty good. Now if only James could magically not suck at singing anymore.

Canoxa
  • Canoxa

Woosh.

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 15 June 2008 - 08:56 PM

Kirk says, and believe it or not, I'm quoting his words, that they really worked hard on this one. Sure, it's what everyone is thinking, but imagine how harsh it is for someone IN the band to put down what should have been hard work for the past decade.

The title is still lame, though.

chitoryu12
  • chitoryu12

Resident Actor, Dancer, and Singer

• Members

Posted 16 June 2008 - 01:42 AM

QUOTE (Canoxa @ Jun 15 2008, 20:56)
Kirk says, and believe it or not, I'm quoting his words, that they really worked hard on this one. Sure, it's what everyone is thinking, but imagine how harsh it is for someone IN the band to put down what should have been hard work for the past decade.

The title is still lame, though.

Every band says they work "really hard" on an album before releasing it, no matter how bad it is, then try to come up with excuses when it's released. I'll believe it's good when James can sing on-key for more than a few miliseconds and the rest of the band remembers how to play. Either that, or they stop trying so hard and find something they can do instead of making half-assed attempts at guitar solos (Their rendition of "One" from March was pitiful).

Craig
  • Craig

• None
  • Best Writer 2011
    Time Traveller Of The Year 1984

Posted 16 June 2008 - 09:39 PM

I really want this album to be as awesome as Master Of Puppets and Justice For All but I'm highly doubting it. St. Anger wasn't as good as I thought it would be though there's a few songs of that album I'm really into. Please pull a fantastic album out of your rickers, Metallica, and get it right.

chitoryu12
  • chitoryu12

• Members

Posted 16 June 2008 - 10:30 PM

QUOTE (Masterkraft @ Jun 16 2008, 21:39)
I really want this album to be as awesome as Master Of Puppets and Justice For All but I'm highly doubting it. St. Anger wasn't as good as I thought it would be though there's a few songs of that album I'm really into. Please pull a fantastic album out of your rickers, Metallica, and get it right.

Nothing Metallica makes will top those two. St. Anger was a very telling sign that Metallica's hey-day has passed and they've run out of ideas for more music. They should either re-learn how to do metal, or just quit trying.

mark-2007
  • mark-2007

Big Homie

• The Connection

Posted 17 June 2008 - 12:11 AM

QUOTE (chitoryu12 @ Jun 16 2008, 23:30)
QUOTE (Masterkraft @ Jun 16 2008, 21:39)

Nothing Metallica makes will top those two. St. Anger was a very telling sign that Metallica's hey-day has passed and they've run out of ideas for more music. They should either re-learn how to do metal, or just quit trying.

Yeah, I agree I can't see them making anything as good as the mid-late '80s. It's a horrible name for the album too.

-shaDow
  • -shaDow

half man, half amazing

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 17 June 2008 - 05:25 AM

just coming in here to crush all possible optimism that this will be good

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 17 June 2008 - 06:22 AM

I saw the live stuff on YouTube from almost 6 months ago or longer, it seems OK, but nothing like Ride The Lightning or Kill Em All.
They need to really reevaluate the direction so they stay true to their roots, while evolving. The punkish St. Anger that I luckily came across for $4. WITH the DVD.
I am not moved by that album, though LOAD and reLoad I purchased and enjoyed.

I am a fan of guitar solos, despite what trends may be or that others don't like Yngwie or Steve Vai type guitarwork, not long ago Dave Mustaine mentioned that if you don't play solos, I don't know why you play guitar, it doesn't register in my mind, well... I have to think that is a rather bold statement. You obviously don't have to to create great music, but there should be some solos in most music I feel.
Even pop ballads in the 80s had electric guitar solos, but radio would unceremoniously edit those out, as anyone who heard Whitesnake on pop radio can attest. It drove me mad.

SagaciousKJB
  • SagaciousKJB

Captain tl;dr

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 17 June 2008 - 06:46 AM

Well, first of all... Death Magnetic? What in the f*ck is that supposed to mean?

Secondly, part of the riff they were playing in the first preview video sounded like a dilapidated Disposable Soldiers.

Anyway, I saw "the new song" live a few months ago, and it was crap. I don't have any hopes for this CD, but I'm not going to prejudge it; I'll just say that I bet it's going to suck.

Also, I don't think solos are that important, but some of the new trends in metal are beginning to become ridiculously lame. Like drummers seemingly not able to play without a double-pedal ramping the song up to 800 or so BPM. Then of course there's the wretched vocals, but that's not really a new development.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 17 June 2008 - 07:33 AM Edited by Slamman, 17 June 2008 - 07:36 AM.

I am not opposed or off-put by that title at all, In a way, it fits with contemporary metal bands that choose a rather strong name that bears similarity to the music found within, in some cases, used as lyric or idea with the music theme. I suspect there is some meaning behing it, rather then arbitrary.

Death metal vocals are up my alley, as well as clean singing, it's all part of the art, a unique delivery like John Tardy, for example, is what makes it stick. Tom G Warrior is another classic vocalist in metal.

Moonshield
  • Moonshield

mountaineer

• Administrator
  • Mongolia
  • Best Senior Moderator 2013
    Best OGA Member 2014

Posted 17 June 2008 - 11:42 AM

QUOTE (-shaDow @ Jun 17 2008, 00:25)
just coming in here to crush all possible optimism that this will be good

Seriously. People are fooling themselves if they really think this is going to be good.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 17 June 2008 - 12:41 PM

It'll be "Good", it JUST won't be great. Metallica decided that the thrash scene was too crowded and that now they are too old to revisit it.... However Garage Days Revisited is such a milestone, just going back to the late 80s for Metallica in terms of style would be JUST what the Doctor ordered.

chitoryu12
  • chitoryu12

• Members

Posted 17 June 2008 - 06:20 PM

QUOTE (Slamman @ Jun 17 2008, 12:41)
It'll be "Good", it JUST won't be great. Metallica decided that the thrash scene was too crowded and that now they are too old to revisit it.... However Garage Days Revisited is such a milestone, just going back to the late 80s for Metallica in terms of style would be JUST what the Doctor ordered.

We'll see. Metallica hasn't produced a fine performance or album for quite some time. Have you seen them try to play One even in 1997? Not ten years after their kickass concert in Seattle and they sound like a bad cover band.

Canoxa
  • Canoxa

Woosh.

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 17 June 2008 - 10:28 PM

QUOTE (chitoryu12 @ Jun 17 2008, 19:20)

We'll see. Metallica hasn't produced a fine performance or album for quite some time. Have you seen them try to play One even in 1997? Not ten years after their kickass concert in Seattle and they sound like a bad cover band.

Huh? Have you even seen them these past two tours?

Mand'alor
  • Mand'alor

Wubba Lubba Dub Dub!

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 17 June 2008 - 10:34 PM

QUOTE (Canoxa @ Jun 17 2008, 23:28)

I saw them on their tour 2 years ago when they played Master of Puppets in it's entirety and they kicked major ass. It was a
sterling performance.

A lot of you are just hopping on the Metallica hate wagon because it's popular. That being said, I myself am not expecting a great new album..perhaps mediocre.

Canoxa
  • Canoxa

Woosh.

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 17 June 2008 - 11:00 PM

QUOTE (Nixon @ Jun 17 2008, 23:34)
QUOTE (Canoxa @ Jun 17 2008, 23:28)

I saw them on their tour 2 years ago when they played Master of Puppets in it's entirety and they kicked major ass. It was a
sterling performance.

A lot of you are just hopping on the Metallica hate wagon because it's popular. That being said, I myself am not expecting a great new album..perhaps mediocre.

I find mediocre to be a rather, well, mediocre adjective, especially when your post felt rather neutral.

I'd say it could very well be a link between KEM and RTL, or even RTL and MOP. And to see where I'm coming from, Justice is my favourite album.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 17 June 2008 - 11:41 PM

For me, RTL was the first LP I bought, and the lead off track the FIRST song I ever heard on the radio, they were largely unknown outside of California but got airplay due to their large following, obviously the tape trading paid off.

I bought Kill Em All and was floored for life.
Dave Mustaine was thought to be the Syd Barrett of the band in some regard, he'd do all the stage banter in the early days. His guitar playing is steller nowadays.
He hated Kirk Hammett, however, I don't but respect them to have their opinions. Lars wasn't such a dick back in the day either.

Digital Murders
  • Digital Murders

&?

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 18 June 2008 - 12:47 AM Edited by Digital Murders, 18 June 2008 - 03:59 AM.

I'm going to buy it.

When St.Anger came out, I listened to it maybe a dozen times, trying to figure out what the f*ck happened with each listen. I actually came out of that "experience"; and I call it an experience because it really was, only founding that I like the songs "Some Kind of Monster" and "Sweet Amber". Then I put it down for five years.

A few weeks ago, I picked it up again and listened to those exact songs, knowing I wouldn't be able to even sit through any of the other songs, when I realized that the tracks were horrendously bland.

And so even if this "Death Magnetic" (stupid geriatric Metallica album name ftw) is terrible, so what? Music is a hit or miss with some people. Just know there's a market for this garbage. I honestly don't have an opinion about the new album at this moment, and probably won't until it's playing in my car.

I have more to say, but it would all just be a long, pointless rant.

SagaciousKJB
  • SagaciousKJB

Captain tl;dr

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 18 June 2008 - 01:16 AM Edited by SagaciousKJB, 18 June 2008 - 01:18 AM.

Guys, I'm seriously hung up on the name here...

Okay, let's see...

You have...

Kill 'Em All: Pretty straight forward
Ride The Lightning: Also pretty straight forward
Master of Puppets: A little abstract, but still pretty straight forward concept
..And Justice for All: A little bit more creative than in the past, but easy to understand, pretty clear concept
Black Album: Laziness in titling
Load: Even lazier...
Re-load: Oh, come on...
St. Anger: Okay, it's a little bit more interesting than the last three, and not really as straight forward than the others... Assuming they were actually implying anything.

Death Magnetic

What the f*ck is this supposed to mean? I mean, is the album going to kill you with the magnets in your speakers or something? I mean, those are the only dots I see to connect. Did they just pick two words out of a f*cking hat or something? It just doesn't make any f*cking sense, at all... Not even in the English language. I mean, sure, "magnetic death", would work, even, "deathly magnetic" could be bent to work, and hell, even, "Death, magnetic" or some variation of that might work... But not f*cking "death magnetic". It makes no f*cking sense.

I guess I'm just asking too much for them to at least put some meaning into a f*cking album name--and by "meaning", I don't mean a "deeper meaning" like that. I mean something that has any meaning whatsoever, you know, something comprehensible to people with more than 50,000 brain cells still alive. Seriously, I can just imagine them sitting around in a room, tossing around ideas for a name, and one of them blurts out one of the suggestions above, only the others don't find it "hardcore" enough or something stupid. That's gotta be what happened, right? RIGHT?

Would someone who understands this please explain this to me? I mean, seriously, when it comes to the name of this album, all I can say is, "If it weren't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent that year in college."

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 18 June 2008 - 01:20 AM Edited by Slamman, 18 June 2008 - 01:36 AM.

Everyone I talked with on old music forums feel Metallica sold out, and not in a good way. Most have even given up on them as a favorite band anymore, MEgadeth came back with an album and tour that kicks so much ass, it puts Metallica to shame. It should be better then St. Anger but I do firmly believe it COULD be worse then that album. I believe as well that drugs and drinking aren't what make a good band, even though the evidence is seemingly hard to refute! biggrin.gif
EDIT-
My interpretation of the album comes from the longevity of the band. I feel it has some bearing on the way music WAS delivered. Magnetic referring to tape versus digital realm with no need for tape.
Hope that works for ya!

chitoryu12
  • chitoryu12

• Members

Posted 18 June 2008 - 04:02 AM

QUOTE (Slamman @ Jun 18 2008, 01:20)
Everyone I talked with on old music forums feel Metallica sold out, and not in a good way. Most have even given up on them as a favorite band anymore, MEgadeth came back with an album and tour that kicks so much ass, it puts Metallica to shame. It should be better then St. Anger but I do firmly believe it COULD be worse then that album. I believe as well that drugs and drinking aren't what make a good band, even though the evidence is seemingly hard to refute! biggrin.gif
EDIT-
My interpretation of the album comes from the longevity of the band. I feel it has some bearing on the way music WAS delivered. Magnetic referring to tape versus digital realm with no need for tape.
Hope that works for ya!

I don't think they could be worse than St. Anger. When there's a song that you don't even want to listen to all the way through, that's a bad sign. Hell, the Hand Jive is better to listen to than recent Metallica.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 18 June 2008 - 05:17 AM

Since that album came with a DVD film of them recording, I enjoy it as a video album, and doing that again would not be a bad idea. I agree, I am a thrasher by nature, so the earliest RAW Metallica, like the Cliff Em All video, that stuff totally dominates. BUT, there is no substitute for James and the gang, so I hold onto hope, if nothing more.

Crimson King
  • Crimson King

drugf*cked

• BUSTED!

Posted 19 June 2008 - 02:12 PM

youse are all retarded poofs. st anger rox! its the second best metallica album, the first being the black album.

Mand'alor
  • Mand'alor

Wubba Lubba Dub Dub!

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 19 June 2008 - 02:41 PM

QUOTE (Crimson King @ Jun 19 2008, 15:12)
youse are all retarded poofs. st anger rox! its the second best metallica album, the first being the black album.

I'm going to assume that your post is infested with sarcasm. If not : You fool. tounge.gif

Canoxa
  • Canoxa

Woosh.

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 19 June 2008 - 03:25 PM

A minus for not putting St. Anger first, made your post SO much more believable.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 19 June 2008 - 10:48 PM

...and I like King Crimson too, damn shame!

I wonder how many Metallica albums he's truly heard!?? notify.gif sarcasm.gif

Crimson King
  • Crimson King

drugf*cked

• BUSTED!

Posted 20 June 2008 - 07:08 AM

ive heard all of them. i'm the only true metallica fan. st anger was different, yeah, but not necessarily for the worse. god forbid a metal band have catchy tunes.

i was exaggerating when i said theyre my fave albums, i like the older ones too, but st anger and the black album are great. their only sh*t albums are load and reload and kill em all. but even they have some good songs.

ps beat it youse c*nts anyway for belittling my opinion. fair enough if you dont like the same metallica albums as me, that doesnt mean your musical taste is right and mine is wrong.

Mand'alor
  • Mand'alor

Wubba Lubba Dub Dub!

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 20 June 2008 - 07:30 AM

QUOTE (Crimson King @ Jun 20 2008, 08:08)
ive heard all of them. i'm the only true metallica fan. st anger was different, yeah, but not necessarily for the worse. god forbid a metal band have catchy tunes.

i was exaggerating when i said theyre my fave albums, i like the older ones too, but st anger and the black album are great. their only sh*t albums are load and reload and kill em all. but even they have some good songs.

ps beat it youse c*nts anyway for belittling my opinion. fair enough if you dont like the same metallica albums as me, that doesnt mean your musical taste is right and mine is wrong.

Exact same goes for you boy, just because you like them two albums the best doesn't mean your musical taste is better than ours just because our favorites Ride The Lightning and Kill 'Em All etc. You came in here looking for an argument.

And you say your the only true Metallica fan? Hahahaha, every Metallica fan says that. orly.gif

Statutory Ray
  • Statutory Ray

I'm a New World Samurai, and a Redneck Nonetheless

• Members

Posted 20 June 2008 - 07:33 AM

QUOTE (Crimson King @ Jun 20 2008, 02:08)
st anger was different, yeah, but not necessarily for the worse. god forbid a metal band have catchy tunes.

It'd be fine and dandy if St. Anger was catchy, but it's not. In fact, I wouldn't go as far to say you could even consider them tunes.

The new stuff sounds okay musically, but Hetfield can't sing anymore. They should go 100% instrumental.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users