The Chain Game is for anyone who wants to play along, we are going to start a game from the beginning and take it to 100%.
Please read the Rules/Guidelines before you start to play.
The Rules/Guidelines are here so that the game can progress and everyone can have an enjoyable experience while making a contribution to its completion.
Joining the Chain Game is easy and new players are always welcome. If you're new and want to plunge right in, simply follow the Quick Start Guide for now and read the complete set of rules later. You're excused for now, but eventually you'll have to...
Newbie's Quick Start Guide (by rubregg)
- Call a turn by posting in this topic
- Download the last save
- Play one mission
- Upload your save on gtasnp.com or the New uploader by hmvartak ,
- Post the link to your game back here within 3 hours. Edit your original posting to do this. Have a look at other players' postings and you'll get the idea.
- You can follow this link to go directly to the latest posting in the topic.
- Call the mission that you want to do or just call a turn by posting in the topic.
- The definition of a "mission" is "any named mission". Examples are "In the Beginning" "Learning to Fly" and "Big Smoke". If the save file name changes, then it's a "named mission".
- Download the previously posted save file. We want to use the same save file throughout the game and take it to 100%. After 100%, we can see who has the fastest racing times.
- Use the posting format (see below for the format).
- Complete ONE named mission only, save it and post a link back in the topic (use edit). See below for a listing of 'named' missions that are 'lame' & may be done with one other 'named' mission.
- Use Samutz, New uploader by hmvartak , Rapidshare or YouSendit to upload.
- Wait until 3 other turns have been completed before calling another mission.
- If 6 hours pass without another gamer calling a mission, then the 3 mission rule is reset & anyone may call a turn. This does NOT mean to wait 6 hours between personal mission/turn calls.
- Time limit to complete the mission is 3 hours. We will use the post time in the topic. The timer starts when a mission is called. After 3 hours and the caller has not posted, it's a forfeit and anyone else may call a mission.
- The caller may call a forfeit. The forfeiter should wait at least one turn before calling another mission/turn. The forfeited turn will not count towards the '3-mission' rule.
- In the event of two gamers calling a mission the first one does the called mission.
- Mission strategy is up to the caller - just don't use cheats/trainers.
- Do not save after getting busted or wasted.
- The caller may purchase/collect items (weapons, etc.), eat, dress, date, get a tattoo, workout & get a haircut for CJ.
- The caller may do any non-named missions/collections/deliveries in the 3 hours. Please report any extra stuff in the Notes section.
- The caller doesn't have to call a mission when all they want to do for example is collect/do 25 tags, or do the Vigilante mission. In that case, just call a turn, but remember that the 3 hour time limit will still apply.
- We expect the players to also adhere to the gtaforums.com rules. This will include "No warez/piracy (linking to, requesting or discussion of illegally obtaining copyrighted material) & Never open multiple accounts."
A request to all players:
Please try to post the completion percentage from the stats after you have completed your turn. This will help in putting together the stats at the end of the round (stats by girishb). The completion % can be found in STATS/MISC.
- Do not fail a mission unless it's to collect a special vehicle (BP/DP/EP/FP). If a special vehicle has been collected, let us know in the Notes section.
- Try to keep the safe house saves minimal. If you have a game crash problem on your system multiple saves are alright - save when you don't want to lose some progress.
- Avoid known glitch situations, though you may use the the one for "NRG-500" and the Ammu-Nation glitch (but remember that some players like to see the clip count which disappears when the ammo exceeds 9999).
- Try to save with full armor.
- Collect ammo when possible.
- Save close to available missions when possible.
- Let’s try to have the last save for 100% be "End of the Line”, so let’s try to get everything else done before that.
- "Lame Missions":
Some missions are Named Missions although they are in fact only cut scenes without any action going on. These missions *are now Free Missions* and can be combined with any other one Named Mission. --> Examples: Verdant Meadows, Fish in a Barrel
- Stadium Events:
All Stadium Events *are now Free Missions* and can be combined in any number with any other one Named Mission.
- Race Tournaments:
With the exception of the 3 races you do within the storyline (Lowrider, Badlands A/B), all races *are no longer Named Missions*.
--> You can do up to 3 races if you don't do a Named Mission as well.
--> You can do 1 race if you also do a Named Mission.
(Thanks to rubregg for putting the 'Lame' missions rule together)
- Have FUN!
<Here's a link for The Chain Game FAQ>
For those who would like to spray tags/collect oysters/take snapshots/gather horseshoes, you can find the program for SAMA here, it will provide relevant maps showing which ones are left.
Links to pdescobar's convert program and V2.0 scripts:
Link to rubregg's Easy script switcher (PC)
Here is the posting format to use:
Mission: Use the mission name as it appears on the screen. Don't use mission descriptions like 'that mission where you chase the jet'
Called by: Use your handle.
Status: 'in progress' or 'completed'.
Notes: anything pertinent to the mission/strategy or extra stuff done.
Completion %: from stats section
Welcome to Chain Game 29. Round 29 will be the same save as the previous round. As (almost) always, it is a modified version of a version 2 save with many interesting changes/additions. We hope you will enjoy playing it as much as we've enjoyed creating it. Please remember that you should not save after being wasted/busted and instead should replay your turn if you have time.
All Chain Game officers are now equipped with a Chain Game Checker. This checks the save file for the number of cheats used, times wasted, times busted and some other things.
The major change for Round 29 is that the barriers and objects are switched so that they appear for v2 players but not for v1 players. This means that a v2 player will have to complete the missions Green Sabre, Are You going to San Fierro?, and Yay Ka-Boom-Boom.
This round features several modifications that are the results of our tests with the pedestrians of San Andreas. Expect to see some new faces in every area of the map.
While our description continues to take the form of hints and allusions, the map now contains (almost) everything. A couple of new features are left to be discovered, but 99% of the stuff that can be mapped is mapped. Also, a full feature list is on the way and might be posted later in the topic. Note that the map now displays the rubregg Cheetah in its standard location as he is home recuperating.
Changes from the unmodified game:
- Exports, and most mission-unlocked vehicles available at the start of the game; export spawns should still disappear once the car is exported
- Some changes to export vehicle locations to resolve conflicts with other parked vehicles; in all but one case (the Sanchez) the new location is quite close to the original one.
- Some minor changes to school rewards, airstrip vehicles, SF fire trucks, and a couple other cars to resolve conflicts as well. Most of these changes appeared in Round 19 as well.
- Some original vehicles have been tweaked to spawn a little more reliably such as the Maverick on the LS Skyscraper or parked cars near safe houses. Caution: Some vehicles may spawn suddenly; it is not a good idea stand in the exact location of a missing vehicle.
- You might find a green-colored vehicle in your garage; such vehicles are specially designed to help with certain tasks...
- An entire new set of additional vehicle spawns have been added to the map; some enabled right away, and others will appear as the game progresses. A couple will be familiar from previous rounds but most will be new and different. Where are they? -- you'll just have to look around and see.
- In order to improve stability, some of the less useful original vehicles have been removed. These include some of the Karts as well as some vehicles which have another of the same type very close by. For example, rather than having two Dodos right next to each other, you may only see one of them now.
- Three adrenaline pills have been added in Los Santos
- Jetpacks are available in each of the three major cities but might require some work to get to.
- Several new brides have bin added all over the map.
- The fixed SF Bribe from previous chain games returns to its familiar location behind the SF firehouse
- Some additional pickups have been added in some other places...
- To allow for new picks some standard pickups (canes) have been trimmed.
- Bridge barriers will appear for version 2 players, but probably not for version 1 players. This means that a player running the v2 executable must complete the missions Green Sabre and Yay Ka-Boom-Boom . Note that this is a change from round 27 in which the opposite situation was in effect.
- All non-special clothing available at the start.
- Bike School & Boat School available at the start; Driving School icon is visible but it will not unlock until after Wear Flowers in Your Hair
- Race Tournaments available at the start. Note that SF to LV is not completable until the barrier comes down; Military Service is more difficult because of the barrier, but can be completed. Also, please do not complete Lowrider Race, Badlands A, or Badlands B until their associated missions have been passed.
- Vehicle mod shops in SF and LV are open at the start but without radar icons
- Gyms open at the start but without radar icons
- Food, Clothing, Barber, Tattoo, and Ammunation, are not altered and follow normal storyline unlocking.
- Zero's RC Shop is open from the start and probably won't close.
- Crack Den is open from the start but will close once Cleaning the Hood is attempted.
- Madd Dogg's Crib is open from the start but will close once Madd Dogg's Rhymes is attempted and will remain closed until "A Home in the Hills" is passed.
- Vargos Gang House is open from the start but will close once Burning Desire is attempted.
- The Pleasure Domes club is open from the start of the game but will close once Ice Cold Killa is attempted.
- Sindacco Abattoir is open from the start but will close once The Meat Business is attempted.
- Planning Department is open from the start but will close once Architectural Espionage is attempted.
- Finally, a few markers may not lead where you expect them to...
- Note that the Queens interior now has the LS Big House interior.
- The Johnson House is open before Big Smoke
- The Redsands West property no longer has a usable garage; instead, there is a new Dock garage at Toreno's ranch which can store boats, amphibious air vehicles, and even small land vehicles. It is usable from the start and marked on radar as a "Boat Yard"; there are also some special objects at each corner of the garage marking its size.
- The car garage at the airstrip is usable from the start; this is similar to how the Doherty garage is usable in the standard game. The hangar will remain inaccessible until the airstrip is purchased.
- Some Pay n Sprays have increased in size and can support a greater variety of vehicles.
- There is a new Pay n Spray enabled behind the LV Dance Club; it is marked on the radar and is very large, so a wide variety of things could be sprayed there...
- Several garages previously used only in missions have been reassigned to more useful tasks at the start of the game.
- The save disk inside Madd Dogg's Mansion has been moved to a new location in the first room on the left; saving there should now avoid the basketball glitch.
- The Queens save disk has now been moved inside to the armoury.
- New to this round are boat jumps. These are ramps scattered all over the map in the main water ways of San Andreas.
- 19 of the original jumps have been removed and replaced with new jumps; some of the new ones are fairly easy and some are extra-challenging.
- 2 of rubregg's "backbreaker" in foster valley have been replaced.
- Please note that SAMA should now show all the jumps and record their status properly.
- Some zones have been adjusted so gang wars are able to be triggered in SF and in LV.
- For round 29 several of the zones have added features and added pedestrians.
- Sixteen current and former Chain Game contributors have been honoured in this round; see how many references you can find.
- There are a couple new ways to make money if you look around
- The underwater glitch has been integrated as a feature. Note that CJ swims faster with the Frame Limiter On.
- There are some new ways to travel quickly between cities
- Some local property taxes have been reassessed.
- Be sure to look around and check out some of the new additions before doing everything the same old way; you might find something that'll help you do, for example, early vigilante without the Hunter or HPV.
- Some added features are intended to expand on what can be accomplished with 4-stars. For example, a new jump might show you how to enter restricted territory and a special vehicle may help you survive while you're there.
- Some added features are intended to give an introduction to Chain Game Rallies; that discussion inspired this modification and will hopefully lead to future fun stuff
- People who would like to play this save independently should download the version 1 or version 2 saves provided below. The chain game is using a version 2 save with a rules patch applied which these saves do not have.
- For this round, the barriers and map objects should work correctly with your given version. That is, people with the v1 exe and scripts playing the v1 save should see all the barriers and objects properly. And so should people with the v2 exe and the v2 scripts. A hybrid installation is not recommended for the Independent Play saves.
- Also please note that a few of our additions and changes might confuse third-party tools like trainers and save-editors so be especially careful when using them while playing these saves.
- Chain Game 29 v1 for independent play
- Chain Game 29 v2 for independent play
- There are a few things still unmapped which will initially not appear on a feature list. Whenever new things are added we like to keep a bit of mystery about them to encourage exploration and experimentation. We hope you do some investigating, try out new things, take notice of your surroundings, and share your finds with everyone else.
- We have tried to manage the balancing act of adding fun new features while making minimal changes to items from the original game. We have also worked hard to ensure that all changes function under the original game scripts without requiring any modification from the players. Hopefully you will agree that our choices were sound ones.
- Your input is encouraged; please give us your comments regarding this round's features. If you don't want to post them in the topic so as not to clutter it or spoil anything for anyone else, feel free to PM either OrionSR or pdescobar. We are particularly interested in issues where new/changed vehicles or pickups are not spawning properly but any feedback is welcome.
- For those who are curious, a variety of tools were used in the creation and testing of this. Pieces of this were made via a custom Darkpacted mission script made with SannyBuilder, modified IPL files, and the GTASA Control Center. It was then unified together by hex-editing parts of a couple different saves together; hex-editing was also used in a couple of cases to overcome limitations of the tools and finish off the features. Saving in the Jefferson Alley was accomplished with CLEO. And, as always, Samutz' GTASnP uploader was invaluable in helping with the design and testing.
- Primary designer: OrionSR
- Additional help and coding: pdescobar
- Testing and ideas: JAJ, ryan92, rubregg, zmoonchild, jaj's brother
- Special thanks to GTA Phreak for his help with the gang war testing and for the inspriation behind the water features.
This supplement is designed to discuss some of the technicalities of the Chain Game's rules, and it was thought best to provide these in the original post.
(1) Abuse of the '3-mission' rule:
Callers are encouraged to understand the basic ethos of the Chain Game. One should only call a mission, once the previous caller has completed his/her called mission and posted the new save. That's the basic idea of the chain: a new link can only be attached as long as the previous one is bound. Hence, to call a mission while a previous one is being completed, defeats the entire logic of the chain. In such a case, one can actually wait around and call every 5th mission beforehand, and negate the possibility of others to call the mission. This seems to be a fine loophole of the 3-mission rule, which callers should not exploit. Let's also consider the fact that when a mission/turn is called that the 3 hour timer has started.
(2) Exceptions to the 'One Named Mission' rule:
•"King In Exile"
•"Made in Heaven"
The above missions are all cut scenes in the Catalina strand in the Badlands. The icons for her missions trigger each of these, in sequence, though it is up to the caller to decide which of Catalina's jobs they'd want to pull off. In each such case, the caller should call the cut scene (like "First date") and also the job (e.g.: "Local Liquor Store"). The format should be: Missions: First Date/Local Liquor Store. The caller can't help but do a 'double', so to say, as one can't save after the cut scenes, and in these cases the 'one named mission' rule is exempted.
•"Back to School"
•"Learning to Fly"
The above vehicular schools are comprised of 'named' tests (e.g.: "Burn and Lap", "Circle the Airstrip", "Land, Sea, and Air", "Stoppie" etc.). Callers should take note that 'named' tests are not equivalent to 'named missions'. Hence, callers should call schools and not particular tests, even though it may seem, for some, to be against the 'one named mission' rule. To call and do one single test, or only a set of two/three tests, would only add confusion to future callers, and be an impediment to the progress of the Chain Game. Callers also note: in the posting format, you should use "Back to School" and "Learning to Fly" and not 'Driving School' and 'Flying School'.
• The 'CV' icon at Wang Auto after "Back to School" and "Yay Ka Boom Boom" are completed
This one's a little different from the first four, as even though an icon appears for Cesar on the map, and you go to the dealership at Doherty, it is not followed by a mission, and instead opens up Cesar's strand at San Fierro. This is different, also, from "Verdant Meadows" because even though the mechanic involved is the same, the latter is a named mission, while this is not. Callers may buy Wang Auto after the completion of "Back to School" or "Yay Ka Boom Boom" (whichever is done later), and this will not be considered as a violation of the 'one named mission' rule. Alternatively, callers may buy it before starting "Zeroing In", if it wasn't purchased beforehand.
(3) Missions exempt from the 'One Named Mission' rule:
• The Chiliad Challenge
• "Verdant Meadows", as mentioned above
• "Fish in a Barrel"
• "Stadiom Events"
• Los Santos Race Tournaments
• San Fierro Race Tournaments
• Las Venturas Race Tournaments (Cars)
• Las Venturas Racing Tournaments (Aircraft)
(4) Non-storyline missions which alter the save names:
• Zero's Missions
• Cesar's Missions in San Fierro
• Heist Missions in Las Venturas
(5) Other things to keep in mind:
• Dating : All callers can help CJ progress with any of the 6 girlfriends in the game. It does not have to be called separately, and if it is, then the '3 hour' rule will apply as always. It is best not to alter CJ physically and instead collect all oysters as soon as possible to make him forever desirable.
• Import/Export : All callers are allowed to participate in exporting cars, and this does not have to be called separately. Callers, however, must remain true to the spirit of the Chain Game and only export cars when full earnings can be availed. Do not export damaged cars. Callers can also help by storing cars on the lists beforehand as and when they come across these. The Cheetah and the Huntley are probably best to stock up early.
• Turf Wars/Gang Wars : These can be separately called for, and also be completed otherwise. The second round of wars in Los Santos should be completed before "Riot", as this saves a lot of trouble and makes the last few missions speedier. The posting format for these would be: Mission: Gang Wars.
Have fun playing!
I would like to thank crazyanurag, ajkhan316', Plaka, Tornado Rex, & wolf68k for helping put this together.
Also thanks to:
OrionSR & pdescobar for the starting save.
meth. for the 100% checklist.
pdescobar for the banner artwork.
Samutz for the [SnP] Uploader/Downloader.
hmvartak for a special chain game oriented Uploader/Downloader.
pdescobar for the V2 conversion program.
I got the idea for the Chain Game from Orion_SR 08/05.
The Chain Game Officers
Inactive Chain Game Officers
rubregg (on sick leave, I hope to add rubregg back soon, get well soon buddy, hope everything's going good for you)
<See this post for the checklist>