Photo

Is there a game better than GTA IV?

49 replies to this topic
fbloggs
  • fbloggs

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 03 June 2008 - 11:11 AM

I was just watching some of the satellite channels that show games reviews and tournaments last night and they featured excerpts of things like Gears of War, Bioshock, Halo3, COD4, Mass Effect etc.

This got me thinking. Rather than making the obvious comparison of GTAV IV to GTA SA how do you think it compares to other (non GTA) games? Do you now think it's the best game ever (with the possible exception of SA wink.gif ) or are there other games you still think are "better" ? (whatever "better" means!)

Basically I guess what I'm asking is are there any "if you played this and liked it you'll probably also like...." recommendations?

7.62 hiberNative
  • 7.62 hiberNative

bruce lee > you

• Members

Posted 03 June 2008 - 11:14 AM Edited by 7.62 hiberNative, 03 June 2008 - 11:16 AM.

QUOTE (fbloggs @ Jun 3 2008, 11:11)
Basically I guess what I'm asking is are there any "if you played this and liked it you'll probably also like...." recommendations?

depends on WHAT you liked with the game?
the open environments?
the shooting?
the violence and bad language?
the character development?
if you liked those in one package, the options are pretty limited and everyone will just answer "saints row or mafia" tounge.gif

maverick808
  • maverick808

Snitch

• Members

Posted 03 June 2008 - 11:14 AM

I think it's hard to compare because there are other great games but in different genres so it comes down to what you like. COD4, Bioshock, Gears of War are all great shooters, so if FPS is your main thing then surely you'd think those games were better. Zelda: Twilight Princess is an awesome RPG/adventure and Super Mario Galaxy is an amazing modern platform game.

I think GTA4 is undoubtedly the best game in its genre, but whether or not it's the best game ever for someone personally will depend on what their favourite type of game is.

Tony Mozzarelli 80
  • Tony Mozzarelli 80

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 03 June 2008 - 11:20 AM

In my opinion no other game is as good as GTA for it's genre but there
are some other great games out there.
If you like multiplayer FPS, then COD4 is a must buy. it's the only FPS
that has impressed me since Perfect Dark on the N64. but as far as crime
genre goes, i suppose you might enjoy Saints Row, but don't go expecting
anything on a par with GTA

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 03 June 2008 - 11:21 AM

As a sandbox devotee, no, there is no better game than GTA IV, in my opinion.

My opinion, it should be known, is always the correct opinion.

jynxy
  • jynxy

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 03 June 2008 - 11:30 AM

There's no doubt it's the best yet, but anyways - i personally prefer much more GTA - SA..... this is ssooooo mmuch fun, the IV is non-comparetible but once again - it's a game right.. it is supposed to amuse you..

blitsbebop
  • blitsbebop

tommy vercetti the italian goodfella

• BUSTED!

Posted 03 June 2008 - 11:31 AM

I was just watching some of the satellite channels that show games reviews and tournaments last night and they featured excerpts of things like Gears of War, Bioshock, Halo3, COD4, Mass Effect etc.

This got me thinking. Rather than making the obvious comparison of GTAV IV to GTA SA how do you think it compares to other (non GTA) games? Do you now think it's the best game ever (with the possible exception of SA wink.gif ) or are there other games you still think are "better" ? (whatever "better" means!)

Vice City, I give it a 10/10 and put it as number 1 on my list.

IV is not even on my top 3 list.

gtamodder
  • gtamodder

• Members

Posted 03 June 2008 - 11:40 AM

Imo, there is no game yet better then GTA4.

Master TJ
  • Master TJ

The Master T.J.

• Members

Posted 03 June 2008 - 11:59 AM

"Better" just means you enjoyed it more. I could have enjoyed the 50 cent game more, really.

Its a fact that GTA4 has the best dialogue and story structure I have ever seen, and is the most realistc game I have ever played.

I mean this game is really good, but theres other games I actually played and enjoyed more, and I am already bored of GTA4 ( havent played MP ).

Morrowind
Zelda : Ocarina of Time
Devil May Cry 3/4
Kotor
Half Life 2 + the Episodes

To name a few off the top of my head.

maverick808
  • maverick808

Snitch

• Members

Posted 03 June 2008 - 11:59 AM

Whilst I think GTA4 is technically the best of the GTA series so far, I've played every GTA and for personal impact and enjoyment GTA4 is relatively low for me. From GTA series alone in terms of impact when they were released I would rank them...

1) GTAIII: When the first 3D GTA came out it just blew me away. There was literally no other game like it on any platform. It was amazingly well implemented, the graphics were great for the time, and the level of detail was fantastic. As it was just simply awesome when it was released I played it again and again, and it's probably the GTA I've played most.

2) GTA San Andreas: After III and VC I think SA made a massive step because of the size of the game, both in map size and number of new options/capabilities. Whilst I loved VC's atmosphere it was very similar to III. Basically, VC was III with a different city and only a few new capabilities (e.g. motorbike riding). When SA came out it felt new and awesome again because it felt like it was pushing boundaries. The detail, size and variety of the map was fantastic. Furthermore, there were so many new options and capabilities (riding bicycles, eating for stats, camera, gym, climbing over objects, swimming underwater, hooking vehicles up with trailers, flying a wide variety of planes, parachuting, etc) that it again felt like a major step in epic gaming.

3) GTA VC: As I grew up in the 80s I just absolutely love VC's atmosphere. The story is totally immersive, and the music, talk shows, and city are all perfect stylised representations of the 80s.

4) GTA 4: Whilst technically the best GTA yet, I just don't feel that GTA 4 is really pushing any boundaries. It just doesn't have the impact that GTA III had on release. If you look at GTAIII, VC and SA on 6th generation console hardware then look at GTA4 on 7th generation you probably end up with the conclusion that yeah, that's just the expected enhancement for the hardware. It's the logical and expected improvement, but it's not anything awesomely unexpected or new.

5) GTA 1 & 2: I played these when they were first released and I loved them. However, whilst they were great and enjoyable games I never felt that they were really stand out games when compared to the other titles available at the same time.

If you'd asked me a few weeks ago then GTA4 would have been at the top of my list. However, after completing the game I find GTA4 to be relatively sparse in terms of things to do so I doubt I'll spend that much more time playing it. I do think the GTA4 engine has truly massive potential, and I really hope for a San Andreas sized game (in terms of BOTH map and options/capabilities) as the next GTA release... maybe GTA4: San Andreas. However, I'm concerned that R* might decide to do GTA4:VC first for financial reasons thinking that small map (GTA4), similar sized map but with more options (GTA4:VC), then massive map (GTA4:SA) will make more money for them overall. Personally, I think if they do that strategy then the GTA4:VC type release will get low ratings, because we've seen it all before and it's the same thing just with better engine & graphics.

TheSamurai Hobo
  • TheSamurai Hobo

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 03 June 2008 - 12:02 PM

QUOTE (Master TJ @ Jun 3 2008, 11:59)

Nothing can beat Ocarina of Time

Raven_Nytez
  • Raven_Nytez

Mr. Purple

• Members

Posted 03 June 2008 - 12:05 PM

At the mo, GTAIV is by far the best "sandbox crime'em up" I've played yet. Looking forward to Saints Row 2 though.. (Lacking the 360 to play the first!)

Narratorjuan
  • Narratorjuan

Trick

• Members

Posted 03 June 2008 - 12:27 PM

QUOTE (TheSamurai Hobo @ Jun 3 2008, 12:02)

Link to the Past was better

dantheleedsman
  • dantheleedsman

Snitch

• Members

Posted 03 June 2008 - 01:26 PM

in terms of just putting the computer on and messing about (at the moment) then no game series can come close to gta, but san andreas is more fun than gta4. if san andreas had gta's graphics, physics and combat style then there would be no need for anyone to ever make another sand box game.
in terms of my favourite games ever, no game has got me more emotionaly involved than final fantasy 7. best story in a game ever!
after that i think the original resident evils, mgs1, call of duty 4...theres quite a lot of games iv enjoyed more than gta4.

Tony Mozzarelli 80
  • Tony Mozzarelli 80

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 03 June 2008 - 01:39 PM

QUOTE (Narratorjuan @ Jun 3 2008, 12:27)
QUOTE (TheSamurai Hobo @ Jun 3 2008, 12:02)

Link to the Past was better

I'm undecided on that one, but i'd say link to the past was a bit more challenging.
But the whole feel of Ocarina of time was good, with the horse and everything

brz59
  • brz59

Wiseguy

• Members

Posted 03 June 2008 - 01:46 PM

QUOTE (fbloggs @ Jun 3 2008, 14:11)

Now that I've completed IV, I'm so damn sick of it (though I really liked it while it lasted).
I actually even agree with those SA people. After completing GTA: SA, I played it for weeks and maybe even months, because it really had so much to do, but IV... You only got that monotonous city and that's it, nothing left to do after you've completed the game.

Games better than GTA IV? Hell I'll give you loads of them: Oblivion, Kotor I, II, (haven't played Mass Effect yet, but I guess it's better as well), Silent Hill 3, Resident Evil 4, Devil May Cry 3, etc.

Not saying GTA IV is a bad game, of course not, but asking "are there any games better than GTA IV" is simply stupid.

Pandemic0rgasm
  • Pandemic0rgasm

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 03 June 2008 - 01:47 PM

Starcraft
GTA Vice City

drpunk
  • drpunk

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 03 June 2008 - 01:53 PM

Pac-man tounge.gif

emigrating
  • emigrating

Playa

• Members

Posted 03 June 2008 - 01:54 PM

It's interesting how more and more people are starting to see the lack of things to do in IV now. I always thought this would be the case after one has completed it. I wonder if any of the die-hard "fanboys" will dare to admit this or not smile.gif

Neon25
  • Neon25

Proud PC gamer

• Members

Posted 03 June 2008 - 01:54 PM

QUOTE (7.62 hiberNative @ Jun 3 2008, 11:14)

depends on WHAT you liked with the game?
the open environments?
the shooting?
the violence and bad language?
the character development?
if you liked those in one package, the options are pretty limited and everyone will just answer "saints row or mafia" tounge.gif

What the hell? Have you even played Mafia? The only bad word there is "bastard", "whore"(and it's not something said by some character, it's just name of a mission) and "damn it". tounge.gif
"

Tony Mozzarelli 80
  • Tony Mozzarelli 80

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 03 June 2008 - 01:56 PM

QUOTE (emigrating @ Jun 3 2008, 13:54)
It's interesting how more and more people are starting to see the lack of things to do in IV now. I always thought this would be the case after one has completed it. I wonder if any of the die-hard "fanboys" will dare to admit this or not smile.gif

Wouldn't hold your breath

Z3ALOT91
  • Z3ALOT91

killer of fingerless glove lovers

• Members

Posted 03 June 2008 - 02:12 PM

TES4 Oblivion is a bit better.

Mallrat
  • Mallrat

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 June 2008 - 02:31 PM

In terms of action, I still think Uncharted just blows all third-person games out of the water. While GTA IV is good, it often feels sluggish and far too often do things go wrong or you find yourself just getting stuck to a wall getting shot at. Gears of War is ok, but it's a bit too slow for my liking (though the boss battles are possibly the most epic of this generation).

GTA IV just has far too little to do, though it does have a fun pick-up and play factor. But, for a game that's supposed to be "go anywhere, do anything" it's severely lacking. They should just market it as a story game and people wouldn't be so pissed.

DanRev
  • DanRev

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 03 June 2008 - 02:36 PM

Oblivion had much more of a wow factor to me and had alot more things for me to do. I have spent hours just robbing peoples houses. Dont think I can say that about any particular feature in GTAIV.

gta888
  • gta888

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 03 June 2008 - 02:47 PM

How the f*ck does GTA IV have the best storyline? Have you people even played COD4 single player or Metal Gear Solid? Seriously, all Niko does is go around saying sh*t like "I need the money" or "It's going to cost you".
COD4 has a brilliant story line and so do the MGS sequels, in my opinion.

notgtajerk
  • notgtajerk

PLAY MORE HEAVENLY SWORD

• Members

Posted 03 June 2008 - 02:52 PM Edited by notgtajerk, 03 June 2008 - 02:55 PM.

Heavenly Sword stole me away from gtaIV honestly. i got in the 90 percent complete area and didn't want to hunt for pidgeons. heavenly sword though is probably one of the the most badass, action packed, killfest i have ever played. You can beat it in about 6 hours if your good but its a hell of a movie to play through for real.

*edit* cod4 was actually my first ps3 addiction. marvelous game. best part is when you are in the bomber plane going to town on the little glowing dudes with 3 types of airborne gunnery.

Rich Rosas
  • Rich Rosas

Chilango incomprendido

• Members

Posted 03 June 2008 - 03:40 PM

For the best storyline in a similar type of game, I'll go with Mafia.

There are lots of great games out there and most of that games have something that will make worth your time. My top 5 are: Deux Ex, Baldurs Gate II, Max Payne, Mass Effect and GTA Vice City.

master ED
  • master ED

Rat

• Members

Posted 03 June 2008 - 03:53 PM

GTA is a masterpiece in the sandbox game genre, but its not the only one. I'd say that Mercenaries or the upcoming Mercenaries 2: World in Flames is a serious contender in this genre. Then again, Mercenaries is in many ways very different than GTA, which makes this an arguable comparison.

No, I don't think that GTA4 is the best ever. The whole GTA series belongs in the olymp of the all-time greats, but even if you argue that GTA4 is the best in the whole series - it's still just one game among many that deserve an enshrinement in the HOF of videogaming. GTA4 is a videogamers dream come true. An open world, limitless oportunities, 1.000.000 different ways to die...yet, it's based on an exaggerated view of our own reality. Dave Jones and the Houser's took the real world as an inspiration and presented it from a different perspective.

I have to say that I have more respect for the Hideo Kojima's (MGS), Shigeru Miyamoto's (Super Mario, Zelda), and Hironobu Sakaguchi's (FF) of this world than for the Jones' and Houser's. Don't get me wrong, I cannot decide whether I like Zelda or MGS more than GTA, because I see them all on the same level - the level that I call "close to perfection". But I do respect the above mentioned more because they created original ideas in a time when videogaming "was just for kids"...they are the founders of today's videogame world, like Hitchcock, Welles, or Lucas are the founders of today's Hollywood. You gotta give them weird Japanese enthusiasts some big credit for that...

an english boy
  • an english boy

Player Hater

• BUSTED!

Posted 03 June 2008 - 04:02 PM

pong was good, for its time.

i honestly prefer football manager on the pc, no way you can compare the 2 though so in this genre/ similr genres gta is best.

oldage
  • oldage

Boss

• Members

Posted 03 June 2008 - 04:05 PM

i liked okami most of my all played games....GTA IV comes on the 3th place here.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users