Photo

does rank indicate skill

20 replies to this topic
regggie noble
  • regggie noble

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 02 June 2008 - 01:35 AM

for example, in the pregame lobby where all the players are gathering up, and you see a level 8 or higher, do you automatically assume hes good
to be honest, ive never seen a bad level 8+, they werent invincible and they die as much as the next guy but they have never gone negative

and some level 8+ i met in the racing playlist were absolute machines with their car

after all, the gta4 ranking system just means if you play alot you rank up higher, but by playing so much you would automatically get good, right?

31st Funk
  • 31st Funk

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 02 June 2008 - 01:41 AM

I usually assume that they're good, but since the game is very addictive, it does not really mean they're good.

Tyla
  • Tyla

The Dick Responsible

• Members
  • United-Kingdom
  • Best Concept Story 2014
    Contribution Award [Concepts]

Posted 02 June 2008 - 01:42 AM

You can achieve high ranks by solely playing Bomb Da Base II and Hangman's NOOSE, so I don't think rank necaserraly indicates skill, just amount of free time.

.Up&Coming.
  • .Up&Coming.

PanzIV

• BUSTED!

Posted 02 June 2008 - 01:44 AM

The only times I see higher ranks is when I do NOOSE, and they always kick me probably for their "ranking up" sessions.

Doing the same thing over and over does not indicate skill in my opinion.

xNikolaiBellicx
  • xNikolaiBellicx

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 02 June 2008 - 01:47 AM

No, me personally i dont think rank indicates skill. Coz you can just keep going against a bunch of noobs in TDM or DM and killing them one by one.

Also, not all lower ranks are noobs.
They might have just made a new account or something, so dont judge someones skill by their rank.

ByronG
  • ByronG

Turf Warrior

• Members

Posted 02 June 2008 - 01:38 PM

QUOTE (xNikolaiBellicx @ Jun 2 2008, 02:47)
No, me personally i dont think rank indicates skill. Coz you can just keep going against a bunch of noobs in TDM or DM and killing them one by one.

Also, not all lower ranks are noobs.
They might have just made a new account or something, so dont judge someones skill by their rank.

Agreed

Im a 5 but reckon i more of a 3 to be honest.
Theres some naturals out there... beware the 1 shot kill from a 0

c-b0t
  • c-b0t

Babies Overnight

• Members

Posted 02 June 2008 - 01:42 PM

Heh not really.
I'm a 5 or a 6 (i can't remember), but I can only show off my "skillz" on deal breaker, noose, and bdb.
I'm terrible at shooting other players, so people shouldn't depend on me during Cops and crooks and such

SWEETSAPRIK
  • SWEETSAPRIK

Pяopagaиda Iиc.

• Feroci
  • Unknown
  • Sourest Member

Posted 02 June 2008 - 01:46 PM

I personally don't think so.

I'm only at 4, and I doubt I'll rank up any time soon, as I don't play enough, and don't feel like playing the same modes over and over just to rank. I still tend to either win, or place at the top of DMs, even when playing with people who have much higher ranks.

I think all it really says is how much they play. That said, even if they played constantly, getting to 9 or 10 wouldn't be easy if they sucked.

Jay
  • Jay

1984 - 2011

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 02 June 2008 - 01:47 PM

I've played some real raging morons with ranks in excess of 4 and 5.

I'm only on rank 2 because I seldom play online.

tom_p1980
  • tom_p1980

Semi-Retired Forum Junkie

• Members
  • England

Posted 02 June 2008 - 01:54 PM

I'm rank 5 but only got it through NOOSE. On TDM and DM for example I'm utterly sh*te unless I've got a vehicle.

SuperJude™
  • SuperJude™

Not The Nicest Guy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 June 2008 - 03:27 PM

Considering the amount of 4's and 5's out there that seem ridiculously easy to kill, I'd have to say rank doesn't mean that much. I have a 5 but that was with 2 people playing, so I'm really like a 3 and again, I have an easy time with a lot of the 4's and 5's who still haven't figured out certain basics like how to execute a proper driveby against another player in a car. Many LULZ ensue.

Xisle
  • Xisle

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 02 June 2008 - 04:39 PM

I'm rank 5, but i only got it through TDM and DM, 90 percent w/o autoaim.
Rank doesn't determine skill, until they completely turn off auto-aim I think. (with the exception of Hangmans Noose, i hear it gives alot of money for nothing, so i havn't tried it yet, and i dont plan to)

7.62 hiberNative
  • 7.62 hiberNative

bruce lee > you

• Members

Posted 02 June 2008 - 04:43 PM

to answer the op
when it comes to hangmans noose; yes that_guy2057_evilgrin.gif

pfo
  • pfo

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 02 June 2008 - 06:01 PM

All rank indicates is how much time someone has spent in multiplayer, that's all you can know by looking at there skill. I've seen lots of people do the co-op missions over and over with auto-aim on, that's not skill. I've also seen plenty on team games that do very little work, yet rake in an even split in the cash. I'm not inclined to say those people are good. But in general, people with high rank are usually a safe bet to be somewhat good before someone with a rank of 0.

Sunneh
  • Sunneh

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 02 June 2008 - 10:29 PM

It's the same as CoD4..

Although there will be a few who are good.

Blaz00r
  • Blaz00r

Homeboy

• Members

Posted 02 June 2008 - 10:47 PM

absolutely not!
you can play only hangman's noose for a whole day and get to level 7 or more easily...average HN game(if the players know what they are doing) is taking up to 2:30 minutes,gaining 4500$ each game,you do the math ;)
I personally am level 4,and im beating higher levels easily...in fact,i've never lost a single game which in i depend on my own yet ;)

wildhalcyon
  • wildhalcyon

Im high on funk

• Members

Posted 03 June 2008 - 12:13 AM

I'm a 0 or a 4, depending on what the system feels like assigning me at the time (it resets my rank frequently). My skill is really variable. I'm usually around parity (equal number of kills or deaths). Against some players, or in some situations I do very well - particularly with grenades or a sniper rifle on the "all" weapon setting. I'm apparently VERY bad in a sniper-on-sniper fight (I can never 1-shot kill, even with what I think would be a kill shot). I suck with auto-aim - I die EVERY time. I'm decent on manual.

It just depends, I guess.

Cluster
  • Cluster

GameCluster (Psn)

• Members

Posted 03 June 2008 - 02:38 AM

QUOTE (tom_p1980 @ Jun 2 2008, 06:54)
I'm rank 5 but only got it through NOOSE. On TDM and DM for example I'm utterly sh*te unless I've got a vehicle.

Id have to agree w/ all that has been said thus far. Lv to 6 in the next day or so and id agree that while some days im sh*t hot at btb2 and noose (although I play btb2 more) some days I can't even get it down...I.e. Suck! But im complete sh*t @ tdm or dm without aa on or without a car on aa off. Don't really play those enough. But needless to say everyones good @ what there good @ and rank is money in this game so...don't rely on rank for skill, rely on 1st hand ability.

Lazlo_Panaflex
  • Lazlo_Panaflex

Faggio Death Squad Member

• Members

Posted 03 June 2008 - 03:33 AM

I'm a level 3 player as I always seem to be playing in free mode...but occasionally I venture into a DM to test my skill.

The other day I played in a 10 man DM and one of the players was level 7. He came second last and got absolutely murdered. Perhaps his little bro or someone was playing it...but he didn't crouch and seemed to think that taking cover was for pussies.

Then I played another DM and got slaughtered by 2 players on level 1. They were insanely good with great aim and good stalking technique.....

Rank certainly does not indicate skill.

gxc999
  • gxc999

Rat

• Members

Posted 03 June 2008 - 07:29 AM Edited by gxc999, 03 June 2008 - 07:33 AM.

The problem people seem to be forgetting is the rank resetting bug. I've spoken with several people who were
rank 6, 7 or 8 and had to begin all over again. Moreover, I'm 9 now and can kick most people's ass in almost every MP
game despite playing Noose most of the time. BTW, I'm #1 on the leaderboard in Noose kills per game. If you think it takes no
skill, come play with me and I'll hand you your ass.

SuperJude™
  • SuperJude™

Not The Nicest Guy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 June 2008 - 07:39 AM

Before I went to work I played some TDM and the guy with 8 stars wasn't that good, I could blindfire him and he didn't seem to get it then resorted to the rocket launcher which to is great but a panic move. Meanwhile, some dudes with 2 stars were kicking my ASS, it isn't about stars always even though the poster above has a great point about how at a certain point you know how well you're going to fare regardless of game/settings.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users