» «
Photo

GTA2 MULTIPLAYER TOOLS and HELP

110 replies to this topic
Sektor
  • Sektor

GTAMP.com

• Members

Posted 24 January 2005 - 04:50 AM Edited by Sektor, 26 December 2008 - 08:15 AM.

Use GTA2 Game Hunter to find opponents. It's basically an IRC client with many features specific to GTA2. It doesn't add multiplayer to GTA2, it just uses the existing buggy GTA2 multiplayer that was really only intended for LAN games.

GTA2 Game Hunter is an application designed to simplify the process of finding, hosting and joining GTA2 multiplayer games. GTA2 Game Hunter adds a much needed chat lobby and server list. If you host a game using GTA2 Game Hunter then it detects when GTA2 network is ready for joiners and it adds your game to the server list. If your game is closed or you quit then it removes your game from the list.

GTA2 Game Hunter doesnít solve all of GTA2ís multiplayer problems. If you donít know anything about networks or routers then you are going to have a hard time getting it working. GTA2 requires many network ports to be open (even if you are only joining, you still need to open ports). If you try to play someone with a ping of over 100ms then GTA2 will run slowly for all players in the game.

You need to open these ports on your router/firewall:
47624 TCP/UDP
Port range 2300-2400 TCP/UDP.

---------------------------------------------
Multiplayer guides:
How_to_master_GTA2_multiplayer - 106KB - PDF

It gives advice on gameplay and contains tips, tactics and some information on undocumented features/glitches. If you have been playing GTA2 multiplayer for many years then you may already know most of it but it's worth a read anyway. You should have played multiplayer at least a few times and be familiar with GTA2 or it will be hard to understand.

You need Acrobat Read to view this:
http://www.adobe.com...llversions.html
  • GTAKid667 likes this

Sillyhed2000
  • Sillyhed2000

Every time you try to small-talk me on MSN I will kill a puppy.

• Members

Posted 24 January 2005 - 05:07 AM

I daresay I would be kissing your feet right now if I wasn't behind a firewall I can't get past tounge.gif

You make this? If so, great job smile.gif

Sektor
  • Sektor

GTAMP.com

• Members

Posted 24 January 2005 - 05:20 AM

GTA2 really doesn't like routers or firewalls. GTA2 Game Hunter detects routers but you still have to manually configure them yourself.

me123
  • me123

Hi.

• Members

Posted 25 January 2005 - 01:14 AM

Cool. Nobodys on most of the time though.

UnholyGodly
  • UnholyGodly

Neighborhood Sociopath

• Members

Posted 26 January 2005 - 06:06 AM

biggrin.gif

not enough ppl play this

my name on it is UG2 angry.gif

Jolly Roger
  • Jolly Roger

^ Oi.

• Members

Posted 26 January 2005 - 06:18 PM

I had a go looking for a game, but nobody is ever on confused.gif
I guess since its a old game people don't play it online anymore...

Sektor
  • Sektor

GTAMP.com

• Members

Posted 27 January 2005 - 01:51 AM

Game Hunter is only two days old, so not everyone knows about it yet. I didn't expect there to be people always logged in, so that's why you can minimize to systray and it will notify you when someone joins.

UnholyGodly
  • UnholyGodly

Neighborhood Sociopath

• Members

Posted 28 January 2005 - 10:39 PM

QUOTE (S3KT0R @ Jan 26 2005, 18:51)
Game Hunter is only two days old, so not everyone knows about it yet. I didn't expect there to be people always logged in, so that's why you can minimize to systray and it will notify you when someone joins.

wouldnt it be 3 days old when u posted that?
ive played u sektor it was fun tounge.gif

thebaer
  • thebaer

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 01 March 2005 - 11:46 PM Edited by thebaer, 01 March 2005 - 11:49 PM.

Well it's just March and I use this program now for a few days. I think it's a great program, thanks for this great program, it brings a lot of people together smile.gif

It's much fun to play this old skool game, and with current broadband connections in my country it's well playable. Usually there a 5 to 6 ppl on the system, when you just take at least 30 minutes you find a game nearby you and you can play smile.gif At spitshour sometimes at least 10 ppl. Not much anyway but I think it will grow some more.

Thanks S3KT0R smile.gif

thebaer/Netherlands

Guixd
  • Guixd

GTA Maniac

• Members

Posted 05 March 2005 - 09:01 PM

Damn, i cant play gta2 on cuz im behind a router. I dont know how to set up the router. I dont know which port gta2 use.

anyone help? confused.gif

Sektor
  • Sektor

GTAMP.com

• Members

Posted 06 March 2005 - 03:07 AM

You didn't look very hard http://gtamp.com/router.htm

mibars
  • mibars

GTA2 Mapmaker

• Members

Posted 10 April 2005 - 01:55 PM

Yes! This Game Hunter is exactly what I was looking for!

BTW - I'm making new multiplayer map for GTA2 and I don't know if it recognises map mismatch (eg I got my new map, other player has got... Tiny Town for it confused.gif )

For map info: [email protected]

Ooops! Sorry for posting one month after last post confused.gif

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 April 2005 - 07:56 PM

I just fired up v1.33 and went to see if anyone was online. After five four-player games I think we can safely say that GTA2 Multiplayer is very much alive and well, even though I kept winning all the games by loads. Plenty of people online using it:
user posted image
larger image

Bit annoying that it doesn't have an INI file which stores settings, such as the position, size and state of the window. Also, minimising the window should minimise the window, not exit to the system tray. Adding that as a menu command inthe File menu would make more sense, imho.

Also, the bright white of the text areas doesn't seem to match with the darkness elsewhere. I would suggest just using the Windows standard interface. If you are coding this in VB then I can help you get it to use the neat Windows XP visual styles when run in that OS.

This topic is very much still alive, imho. If I was able to I would re-organise the pinned topics to reflect that this is the best way to play GTA2 online. smile.gif

Luke
  • Luke

suckmyrocket

• Inactive Staff
  • None

Posted 12 April 2005 - 08:29 PM

If anyone wants any proper statistics sorting out for GTA2 Game Hunter then let me know and it can be arranged. Either way, I idle in there on a regular basis, it's definitely active. GTA2's still a great game for multiplayer.

mibars
  • mibars

GTA2 Mapmaker

• Members

Posted 13 April 2005 - 05:09 PM

I see that you have taken this screen few seconds after my GTA2 crashed and make me unable to host (my game was still listed, when it wasn't hosted at this time).

There are still few bugs in it (one I has described above, and you can see it on screenshot), but I'm trying to make this Game Hunter popular in Poland smile.gif Today half of players (4/8) were Polish tounge.gif

Sektor
  • Sektor

GTAMP.com

• Members

Posted 14 April 2005 - 04:33 PM Edited by S3KT0R, 17 April 2005 - 07:59 AM.

If you closed game hunter, it would of been removed from the list but I'll have to find a better solution.

v1.39 has been released, it now shows a two letter country code next to each player's name in the list.

Smithers, statistics would be nice, I'll have to talk to you about that.

Sektor
  • Sektor

GTAMP.com

• Members

Posted 02 May 2005 - 09:34 AM Edited by Sektor, 02 May 2005 - 04:59 PM.

v1.421 released

www.gtamp.com

Greeny341
  • Greeny341

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 June 2005 - 12:22 PM

Would I be able to play on english servers from Wales?
I dont know how far this game hunter go's to..
Im in south wales by the way.

Sektor
  • Sektor

GTAMP.com

• Members

Posted 03 June 2005 - 02:06 PM

UK players seem to get a good enough ping to most of europe. Just try it.

Gasper
  • Gasper

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 06 June 2005 - 08:32 PM

Heh, funny how when people want a GTA Online, they don't play this game and wait for the GTA3,VC, and SA online versions!

Sektor
  • Sektor

GTAMP.com

• Members

Posted 19 August 2005 - 11:55 PM

GTA2 Game Hunter v1.432 has been released

- [away] is added to the start of your name when GTA2 is running and removed when GTA2 is closed
- Put "..." browse button in a picture box so it's not changed by XP themes
- Removed grey blob
- Nick change and kick messages are displayed in green
- Made the About box wider so the title fits in more themes
- Help is now opened in your default text editor, instead of notepad
- Changed chat box font back to fixedsys, so it matches the received messages/history font (it's also what mIRC does)

gta_maniac
  • gta_maniac

|mAnIaC|fOrEvEr|

• Members

Posted 20 August 2005 - 01:16 AM

Nice sektor, i've been searching for an online program for GTA2 thx a lot for the update too biggrin.gif

Sektor
  • Sektor

GTAMP.com

• Members

Posted 20 August 2005 - 03:06 AM Edited by Sektor, 22 August 2005 - 11:30 AM.

http://www.gtamp.com

- Fixed a bug that prevented GTA2 from being launched, if you tried to join a game hosted by a player that no longer had the same name
- Browse for folder dialog box is now resizable

- Now you are only set away if GTA2 has been running for 30 seconds
- The game list is no longer disabled to avoid a bug that sometimes left it disabled
- If a user quit at the same time as you were joining (before the country list had been built), GH would display an error because it was unable to remove a country from the list that didn't exist yet. The error was "processing error: Invalid procedure call or argument". To solve it, GH now displays "-" next to every name until it fetches the actual country.

- Changed the black line under the menu to standard 3D style
- Fixed a problem that displayed an incorrect ping value next to join messages, if GTA2 was open
- Removed some debug code that forced GH to detect everyone as having a router

- Fixed more bugs relating to away and games being left in the list. Some issues still remain.
- "Unable to create/join" messages are now dark yellow colour

- Messages relating to games should all be the same dark yellow colour now
- Fixed a bug that didn't remove games from list, if users quit or were kicked while [away]

- Fixed a bug that didn't remove your game from the list if your nick was [away]

Sly_Madman
  • Sly_Madman

Dripping with coolness.

• Members

Posted 26 August 2005 - 07:04 AM

great program, all except no ones ever on, and when they are they don't make rooms or answer anything I say. What's the best time to catch people?

Sektor
  • Sektor

GTAMP.com

• Members

Posted 29 August 2005 - 12:22 PM

- Fixed a major bug: If you had a firewall/router blocking port 113, the login process would not complete. No error was displayed, so it appeared that no one was online, even if there were people online. The login process will complete now.
- The Windows accessibility feature "Sticky keys" should now be disabled every time you run GH
- Your GTA2 version is displayed below the "Sign Out" button
- The GTA2 folder text box is now always disabled while signed in
- GTA2 username, location and folder are now made grey when disabled

- The GTA2 option "Show player names" is no longer forced on
- If GTA2 is open, all player join messages in GH display "(-)" instead of an incorrect ping value
- Changed the shortcut key for launching GTA2 Manager from "control + m" to "F8" because "control + m" triggers the enter key
- Changed the shortcut key for creating a game to "control + g" because "control + c" is used for copying text

Skirge
  • Skirge

A fan

• Members

Posted 31 August 2005 - 09:16 AM

At gtamp.com was writen, that i need to get the patch to use GH

Well i downloaded it, but, if i try to open it, it says

"This application has failed to start because binkw32.dll was nof found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem."

Well i have re-installed it several times, but always it's same problem...

what can i do?

Sektor
  • Sektor

GTAMP.com

• Members

Posted 31 August 2005 - 11:24 AM Edited by Sektor, 31 August 2005 - 11:26 AM.

Did you install the patch to your GTA2 folder? The default folder is rarely the correct one.

You can get binkw32.dll from here. Unrar to your GTA2 folder.

The patch isn't required but without it, you'd have to find someone using the same version as you.

Skirge
  • Skirge

A fan

• Members

Posted 31 August 2005 - 04:53 PM Edited by Skirge, 31 August 2005 - 05:07 PM.

QUOTE (Sektor @ Aug 31 2005, 11:24)
Did you install the patch to your GTA2 folder?  The default folder is rarely the correct one.

You can get binkw32.dll from here.  Unrar to your GTA2 folder.

The patch isn't required but without it, you'd have to find someone using the same version as you.

thanks, man!

I did not installed it to my GTA2 folder....

i have it in gta2 folder, but i did'nt know that i need to install this to gta2 folder... ok, anyway, thanks a lot! alien.gif

But now, i edit this post with new error:

Could'nt find attract mode file data\attract\attr1.rep

Well....

i checked the data and all is OK..

it is installed to gta2 folder (C:\Program Files\Rockstar Games\GTA2)... anyway i have Windows XP Professional and i don't know whats going on???

I am totally confused about that... confused.gif

Could someone help?

Sektor
  • Sektor

GTAMP.com

• Members

Posted 01 September 2005 - 09:14 AM

If you have GTA2, then that file is in your data folder. If you don't have that file, then you don't have GTA2.

Skirge
  • Skirge

A fan

• Members

Posted 09 September 2005 - 02:55 PM

Ok. anyway... now its allright...

But i do know now, why i could'nt play multiplayer game...

i have a router...

and i have the ip address of it... i dont know what i should do now... (maybe it's because i don't speak english very well...)

Can anybody help? suicidal.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users