Photo

Female Protagonist

126 replies to this topic
tarquin biscuitbarrel
  • tarquin biscuitbarrel

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 29 May 2008 - 11:56 PM

it will never happen, just think about it seriously.

you fail a mission for someone, they'd call you a sl*t, c*nt, wh*re, b*tch, not to mention all of the sex jokes the gangsters can think of...

the ratings board would see the whole game as a slur against women.

skarface1013
  • skarface1013

Hustler

• Members

Posted 29 May 2008 - 11:59 PM Edited by skarface1013, 30 May 2008 - 12:21 AM.

QUOTE (tarquin biscuitbarrel @ May 29 2008, 23:56)

you fail a mission for someone, they'd call you a sl*t, c*nt, wh*re, b*tch, not to mention all of the sex jokes the gangsters can think of...

Good point, agreed.

Why would it have to be GTA anyway? I wouldn't mind having a female character in a game like Saints Row or something else but not GTA.

Mr. Someguy
  • Mr. Someguy

Gold Member

• Members

Posted 30 May 2008 - 12:12 AM

QUOTE (tarquin biscuitbarrel @ May 29 2008, 23:56)

Then kill the gangsters?

By the way, aren't you forgetting, Rockstar makes the game, rockstar makes the people in the game, and rockstar makes the voices for the people in the game. Therefor, in game sexism won't be a problem for them, if they don't want it to be. Unfortunately, these forums seem to be overloaded with sexist people. So I can't say much for the real world...

StPedro
  • StPedro

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 30 May 2008 - 12:15 AM

You're addressing the game like it is created automatically, and not by an actual staff of creative minds. I agree that ultimately it is a bad time for the series to have a female lead because it may be a little off putting and that fact alone would cause the developer to lose a lot of money. However, despite the fact that these games do emulate film characters, R* has done pretty well in the way or orgininality. I can't recall many movie characters that are like Niko or a lot of the other characters in the game. So if there is a game developing company out there who can really generate an original and likeable female character that works in a GTA like universe, its R*.

SovietWarrior42
  • SovietWarrior42

Certified Demoman

• Members

Posted 30 May 2008 - 12:19 AM

It's a decent idea, but I don't know if Rockstar can pull it off. I'd say the forums would explode like back when everyone found out about that San Andreas had a black main character.

tarquin biscuitbarrel
  • tarquin biscuitbarrel

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 30 May 2008 - 12:48 AM

then how about we just kill the thread by agreeing that it's ultimately rockstar who decide on whichever sex is the next gta protagonist?

StPedro
  • StPedro

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 30 May 2008 - 12:53 AM

QUOTE (tarquin biscuitbarrel @ May 30 2008, 00:48)
then how about we just kill the thread by agreeing that it's ultimately rockstar who decide on whichever sex is the next gta protagonist?

No way, everyone knows big corporations comb internet discussions for creative insight for multi-million dollar projects.

swimfreak430
  • swimfreak430

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 30 May 2008 - 03:00 AM

This would be an awesome Idea for a MOVIE not a video game

a movie like that would kick ass but I just couldent see it being fun in a videogame. plus theres already a ton of perverts out there

burnsey321
  • burnsey321

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 30 May 2008 - 03:06 AM

Why don't they give the gamer the choice, at the beginning the player can choose whether they want to play as a female or a male character, this way it caters for both sexes, and stop all of this female discrimination nonscence. While keeping us males happy at the same time. monocle.gif

feroxxism
  • feroxxism

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 30 May 2008 - 04:18 AM

the only thing amusing in this thread is the ignorant hicks i that purport that the sex of the protagonist has anything to do with good story telling.

u straight up fail, grow a pair, lol.

Darrel
  • Darrel

Reported!

• Members

Posted 30 May 2008 - 07:31 AM

QUOTE (Guerilla85 @ May 29 2008, 16:26)
play me online and I will show you how woman I am by handing your ass to you.

pffffff. Yeah, never gonna happen.

steveb07
  • steveb07

StevE

• Members

Posted 30 May 2008 - 10:42 AM

Since when playing as a woman makes you a gay? It's a f*cking game for christ sake. In World of Warcraft i play as a female character often simply because they look good. Does that make me a gay? Think again. And i do think that a female character would work in GTA. Why? It's simple. Just think of the struggle and situations that could be made out of this in the storyline.
If R* decides to do it...i will play the game and see how it goes.

-DarkPhoenix-
  • -DarkPhoenix-

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 30 May 2008 - 11:27 AM

QUOTE (Guerilla85 @ May 29 2008, 16:26)
QUOTE (JordGem @ May 29 2008, 09:21)
Ok... that was a realy silly idea, GTA with a girl ? nah not in my opinion it was bad enough looking at a girl in GTA SA 2 player with a huge rocket launcher, i think it should be left to the men to be the main characters in gta smile.gif

I don't see what the heck's wrong with seeing a woman hold a rocket launcher in MP, why don't you play me online and I will show you how woman I am by handing your ass to you.

Seem's to me all the 'guys' in here are just pre-teen's who are afraid of girl's cooties.

Grow up

OoOh fighting talk!
I'll play you online... And youl see the POWARR of the manly man that I am.

I'm so many, i rhyme.

DarkPhoenix

Kennenlerner
  • Kennenlerner

Peon

• Members

Posted 30 May 2008 - 12:19 PM

Choice to play as a man or a woman. Tony Hawks underground did that..

sh*te game but still. I loved playing a girl who's head was just eyeballs smile.gif

Guerilla85
  • Guerilla85

The Getaway Driver

• Members

Posted 30 May 2008 - 04:20 PM

It's really sad how most of you 'men' or should I say boys think women are just useless nail breaking shoppers who say omg and can't fire a gun, or else if they can their lesbians.

This is the most degrading and retarted stuff i've ever read, and i've read some really dumb forum posts before.

But whoever replied to me, you do have a point, its these immature little boys who are the market, so without them there is no money for rockstar, so I accept that I will probally never see a female protagonist...aww well atleast Niko is super cool.

And I do love how you can choose gender for multiplayer, that is something im thankful for to say the least, maybe in future GTA's you can choose which character's to play as sort of like the original Resident Evil gave you the choice of Jill or Chris.

Anyway, I know I'm probally going to get another childish "women can't drive or shoot" comment, I can prove you wrong in a heartbeat that women CAN shoot.

Some of the best snipers in the world are women, so take that...We women have less shaky hands, giving us a better shot at sniping. tounge.gif

harry potter4545
  • harry potter4545

Man0123

• Members

Posted 30 May 2008 - 05:00 PM

They should just bring out a download to change your character or sumin

beneficial
  • beneficial

Buckwheats

• Members

Posted 30 May 2008 - 07:30 PM

QUOTE (Guerilla85 @ May 30 2008, 16:20)
It's really sad how most of you 'men' or should I say boys think women are just useless nail breaking shoppers who say omg and can't fire a gun, or else if they can their lesbians.

This is the most degrading and retarted stuff i've ever read, and i've read some really dumb forum posts before.

But whoever replied to me, you do have a point, its these immature little boys who are the market, so without them there is no money for rockstar, so I accept that I will probally never see a female protagonist...aww well atleast Niko is super cool.

And I do love how you can choose gender for multiplayer, that is something im thankful for to say the least, maybe in future GTA's you can choose which character's to play as sort of like the original Resident Evil gave you the choice of Jill or Chris.

Anyway, I know I'm probally going to get another childish "women can't drive or shoot" comment, I can prove you wrong in a heartbeat that women CAN shoot.

Some of the best snipers in the world are women, so take that...We women have less shaky hands, giving us a better shot at sniping. tounge.gif

For the record I don't see anything wrong with having a female protagonist as its been done before in games like Tomb Raider, Perfect Dark, etc. It would be better to have the choice though such as in games like Mass Effect. I understand that SR 2 will give you that option as well.

Just curious Guerilla85- are you HOT? no disrespect, I just love a strong minded woman that likes to get her game on.

chubtoad
  • chubtoad

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 30 May 2008 - 07:44 PM

Seems like an ok idea to me, but i think they are just going with the fact that most gamers are male. its just a fact. not saying that female gamers cant kick the same ass, theres just more men.

skarface1013
  • skarface1013

Hustler

• Members

Posted 30 May 2008 - 07:47 PM

Playing as a woman wouldn't be gay, just that giving up hookers and strip clubs for dating men would, I would still play the game but IMO it would be missing a lot of the fun that GTA normally has. They did a fair thing by letting the player choose their gender for multiplayer. I know there are some badass women out there, but it just seems unrealistic that a woman protagonist would be able to run around the city kicking the sh*t out of every person she sees. I couldn't picture a woman being as tough and ruthless as Niko, CJ, or Tommy, doing all the things that they do. Would be ok for other games, but I just feel it would kill the vibe for GTA. Choosing a protagonist might work.

mufc
  • mufc

Cat

• Members

Posted 30 May 2008 - 08:23 PM

Lets just stick to male protanginists

Kthreeone
  • Kthreeone

Disconnected from game session. Returning to single player.

• Members

Posted 30 May 2008 - 08:30 PM

I wouldn't mind playing a female. As long as she looked deadly, though.

As it goes, that Ice Cream Lady from Vice City would be a good main character tounge2.gif

GTA_Emilio
  • GTA_Emilio

Rat

• BUSTED!

Posted 30 May 2008 - 08:36 PM

QUOTE (Kthreeone @ May 30 2008, 20:30)

As it goes, that Ice Cream Lady from Vice City would be a good main character tounge2.gif

whaha yea, that women who hated kids and stuff...

but I would'nt like a female protagonist.
it's just not right, you cant think of yurself as a player, because you're male and she female..
i don't really know how to express this tounge.gif

Kthreeone
  • Kthreeone

Disconnected from game session. Returning to single player.

• Members

Posted 30 May 2008 - 08:38 PM

QUOTE (GTA_Emilio @ May 30 2008, 20:36)
QUOTE (Kthreeone @ May 30 2008, 20:30)

As it goes, that Ice Cream Lady from Vice City would be a good main character  tounge2.gif

whaha yea, that women who hated kids and stuff...

but I would'nt like a female protagonist.
it's just not right, you cant think of yurself as a player, because you're male and she female..
i don't really know how to express this tounge.gif

Well I'm sure the female players feel the same, right? dontgetit.gif

tarquin biscuitbarrel
  • tarquin biscuitbarrel

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 30 May 2008 - 08:55 PM Edited by tarquin biscuitbarrel, 30 May 2008 - 09:01 PM.

Some of the best snipers in the world are women, so take that...We women have less shaky hands, giving us a better shot at sniping.  tounge.gif

GTA main characters are all exaggerations or parodies composed of real life/movie characters. this is a clever trick to give the main characters a link to the outside world, it's one of GTA's trademark characteristics.

if there was a female protagonist, which real life/movie character parodies do you have in mind? i can't think of any female action heroes, let alone ones which fit in with the GTA theme.

i bet you'd have your female lead punt out cheesey one-liners every time she killed someone, like "i thought you said women can't shoot!" or "who needs men? tee hee".

btw resident evil, jill valentine was easy mode, chris redfield was hard mode... that example doesn't really coincide with your push for equal rights smile.gif

edit: just thought i should add - i don't have a problem with playing a female character. my point is simply that i can't see it happening.

TangoIndiaMike
  • TangoIndiaMike

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 30 May 2008 - 08:56 PM

It is an adult game.
It does not need an excuse, such as a female protagonist.

A main character without balls would take out the entire literal (and a notable portion of the figurative) sense of a "ballsy" game.

StPedro
  • StPedro

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 30 May 2008 - 08:58 PM

If the main playable character was a woman don't you think R* could get away with pushing the envelope of violence, adult sex, and any adult content further? Take Prodigy's video for "Smack my Bitch Up" for example. It messes with any pre-concieved notion of gender roles and violence.

Being able to chose the character at the start of the game is also a cool idea. But I think if they did that, both characters should have different storylines, from different vantage points. Kind of like how Resident Evil 2 was done (Dividing the game into 2 discs), except with each character experiencing a different storyline.

SovietWarrior42
  • SovietWarrior42

Certified Demoman

• Members

Posted 30 May 2008 - 09:36 PM

Wow, to say the least, Guerrilla you sure are dedicated. But, I must disagree because there really isn't much to go by. I can't think of any female bad guys. The only one I can think of is Spalko from the new Indiana Jones. I mean, if you can think of a good example, please tell me.

smthrlr
  • smthrlr

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 30 May 2008 - 11:44 PM Edited by smthrlr, 30 May 2008 - 11:54 PM.

Some of the best snipers in the world are women, so take that...We women have less shaky hands, giving us a better shot at sniping.  tounge.gif

Like her:

http://en.wikipedia....ila_Pavlichenko

Now THAT'S an impressive resume. 309 (accredited) kills = more than Vasili Zaitsev, of Enemy At The Gates fame.

Take that, Adolf!

Mr. Someguy
  • Mr. Someguy

Gold Member

• Members

Posted 30 May 2008 - 11:57 PM

QUOTE (tarquin biscuitbarrel @ May 30 2008, 20:55)
GTA main characters are all exaggerations or parodies composed of real life/movie characters. this is a clever trick to give the main characters a link to the outside world, it's one of GTA's trademark characteristics.

if there was a female protagonist, which real life/movie character parodies do you have in mind? i can't think of any female action heroes, let alone ones which fit in with the GTA theme.

The T-X from Terminator 2 was pretty badass, even though she was a robot. But something like her would be cool (only human this time, of course).

!!LL!!
  • !!LL!!

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 31 May 2008 - 12:15 AM

I don't really see myself playing gta and going to the clothes shop as a female protagonist to buy myself a nice dress either

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users