Photo

Moral Choices/Branching Storylines –

No replies to this topic
lugnut
  • lugnut

Rat

• Members

Posted 28 May 2008 - 08:29 AM

This doesn’t pertain solely GTAIV, but rather to the general increasing movement towards developers offering players game-and-ending-changing choices...

Once upon a time not so long ago, I understood the appeal and found it terrifically exciting - more supposed gamer immersion & involvement, and more ‘bang for one’s buck’ in terms of game replayability. But I find myself tiring of it all - or at the very least, grappling with whether or not I really it want it in the games I play. One issue is that I find it’s becoming distracting - instead of being fully engaged in the moment, I’m constantly wondering what I’m missing, if the grass of the other tract/choice might have been greener. My larger issue, however, is a bit more abstract and relates, I suppose, to art and what I want from art. I want to be lead—ideally by someone with a strong voice, a visionary—through a new world, through a strong story. I want to surrender myself to that—to that creator’s vision—and get LOST in it all. What I’m finding, however, is that instead of further allowing me to get lost in the story I’m being told, this forced branching/decision-making is actually yanking me out of my trance & making me all the more aware that I’m playing a capital-G-for-Game.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users