Photo

LC doesn't feel like a real city

63 replies to this topic
Southside Dukes Ballas
  • Southside Dukes Ballas

Thug

• Members

Posted 26 May 2008 - 09:22 PM

Now R* claimed so much about IV and in my mind( and millions more as you can read various threads and websites about IV and how it's a letdown the internet ) it's a huge letdown on many many levels. Now don't get me wrong it's a great game and my 2nd fave of all time but R* failed on numerous promises and yes I let my hopes get way to high and to be honest most of the speculation on the internet wouldv'e made IV a way better game than what it is.

My main beef is LC. R* was claiming it was going to be the most real life city in games and have no wasted space etc. Well LC doesn't feel like a real city and has tons of wasted space. 1st off I live in NY and have lived here my whole life and yes LC somewhat resembles NY but it doesn't feel anything like NY. When playing SR for instance they had the Projects distric down pact. Sunyvale Gardens and the Shivington Distric look how real life inner city areas would look and I was so glad that LC was going to resemble NY for the hundreds of Housing Projects across the city ranging from row houses to low rises, mid rises and high rise tower blcoks. I was mad you couldn't get into the housing projects in SR and had high hopes for IV. Well the ares of LC look different but none of them feel any different.

In real life NY places like the Marcy Homes, Brownsville Homes, St Nick Homes, Queensbridge Homes and etc feel like a way differnt world. Besides the fact you can only enter in like 10% of the buildnings in IV when R* said you could enter the majority before the game released, you can't even enter 1/4th o the housing projects let alone get past the 1st floor. I mean what happened to the whole you should be scared to go to certain places at dark thing that R* said? The inner city areas have differnt peds and look differnt but overall they all feel the exact same way. North Holland doesn't feel anymore differnt that Rotterdamn besides the fact they look differnt and have different peds.

So besides the fact LC doesn't feel or seem like a real city most of the city is wasted space. Yes there's hundreds of building and as said before you can't even enter 1/4th of them. Also what's the point for places like the amusement park, or the movies or the malls or hell even most stores when you cant even go in them.

Oh and what happened to peds have schedules. Didn't R* say you could follow a ped from their house in the moring all the way to when they go back home at night? Well that's another thing R* didn't have in the game.

LC looks like a real city but it doesn't feel like a real city and it just shows that games still have a far way to go.

Also is it me or is R* starting to turn out to be the next Peter Molyneux( the Fable guy and Black and White creator) who promisses so much for their games and before the game launches it seems to revolutionary but when it comes out it either doesn't have those features or those features are only represnted as a fraction of what they said?

the all seeing eye
  • the all seeing eye

Slamman's Retarded Brother

• BUSTED!

Posted 26 May 2008 - 09:23 PM

the thing is if R* had called it lollipop city you would consider it as a new city

Southside Dukes Ballas
  • Southside Dukes Ballas

Thug

• Members

Posted 26 May 2008 - 09:25 PM

QUOTE (the all seeing eye @ May 26 2008, 21:23)
the thing is if R* had called it lollipop city you would consider it as a new city

what you just said was not only dumb and pointless it made no sense to what this thread is about if it even made sense at all.

GTASIX
  • GTASIX

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 26 May 2008 - 09:26 PM

QUOTE (Southside Dukes Ballas @ May 26 2008, 21:25)

what you just said was not only dumb and pointless it made no sense to what this thread is about if it even made sense at all.

it does. if they called it a different name youd think it was a new city. the only thing it shares with the old city is the name.

ajjg123
  • ajjg123

Rat

• Members

Posted 26 May 2008 - 09:26 PM

I can't disagree more. The city just feels so much more interactive than any before. Plus, you get a different feel from every neighborhood. The docks in Broker feel unique and completely different than the industrial park in Alderney.

Southside Dukes Ballas
  • Southside Dukes Ballas

Thug

• Members

Posted 26 May 2008 - 09:28 PM

QUOTE (GTASIX @ May 26 2008, 21:26)

it does. if they called it a different name youd think it was a new city. the only thing it shares with the old city is the name.

That has nothing to do with what I'm saying. I'm saying LC doesn't feel like a real life city. It has nothing to do with the name of the city.

wayninja
  • wayninja

Do gooder

• Members

Posted 26 May 2008 - 09:35 PM

QUOTE (GTASIX @ May 26 2008, 21:26)

Huh? You must not have played GTAIII then... they are not IDENTICAL to be sure, but they share more than just a name...

illadelph0808
  • illadelph0808

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 26 May 2008 - 09:37 PM

if you can think of a game that has come this close to creating a real city id like to hear it.

what do you want to make it like real life exactly?

- a newspaper splattered with diorreah on the side of the road?
- some smelly dude masturbating in a bus stop?
- some kids dousing a stray cat with lighter fluid?

bored.gif

RimsLookLikeCocaCola
  • RimsLookLikeCocaCola

Trick

• BUSTED!

Posted 26 May 2008 - 09:37 PM

Its funny how everybody making these "Big Letdown Threads" and all of them include the 'but dont get me wrong its a great game' lines just to avoid the flames by other people.

Southside Dukes Ballas
  • Southside Dukes Ballas

Thug

• Members

Posted 26 May 2008 - 09:40 PM

QUOTE (RimsLookLikeCocaCola @ May 26 2008, 21:37)
Its funny how everybody making these "Big Letdown Threads" and all of them include the 'but dont get me wrong its a great game' lines just to avoid the flames by other people.

You think I give a f*ck about getting flammed by other people lol? I've been in more than enough flame wars over GTA IV.

Also you dipsh*t as I've said many times IV is my 2nd favorite game and everything I'm complained about has been worthwile. I've never complained about dumbsh*t like planes or gloves.

And lildelph08 or what ever your name is you have proven you have a very small intellect with what you said.

tarquin biscuitbarrel
  • tarquin biscuitbarrel

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 26 May 2008 - 09:41 PM

rubbish.

anyone who is disappointed with gta4 is being idiotic for having derranged expectations.

it's the best game i've ever played, final fantasy 7 being my previous fav.

wayninja
  • wayninja

Do gooder

• Members

Posted 26 May 2008 - 09:42 PM

QUOTE (RimsLookLikeCocaCola @ May 26 2008, 21:37)

I don't think it's a way to aviod flames. You'd have to be a complete idiot to not think GTAIV is a good, possible great game. But it's no masterpiece in it's current form and it's pedigree invites lots of criticism deserved or not.

Southside Dukes Ballas
  • Southside Dukes Ballas

Thug

• Members

Posted 26 May 2008 - 09:42 PM

QUOTE (tarquin biscuitbarrel @ May 26 2008, 21:41)
rubbish.

anyone who is disappointed with gta4 is being idiotic for having derranged expectations.

it's the best game i've ever played, final fantasy 7 being my previous fav.

of course because only IV dickriders are the only ones who say it's the best game ever and can't even admit about it's flaws.

ethrion
  • ethrion

III < SA < VC < IV

• Members

Posted 26 May 2008 - 09:44 PM

QUOTE (Southside Dukes Ballas @ May 27 2008, 05:22)
Now R* claimed so much about IV and in my mind( and millions more as you can read various threads and websites about IV and how it's a letdown the internet ) it's a huge letdown on many many levels. Now don't get me wrong it's a great game and my 2nd fave of all time but R* failed on numerous promises and yes I let my hopes get way to high and to be honest most of the speculation on the internet wouldv'e made IV a way better game than what it is.

My main beef is LC. R* was claiming it was going to be the most real life city in games and have no wasted space etc. Well LC doesn't feel like a real city and has tons of wasted space. 1st off I live in NY and have lived here my whole life and yes LC somewhat resembles NY but it doesn't feel anything like NY. When playing SR for instance they had the Projects distric down pact. Sunyvale Gardens and the Shivington Distric look how real life inner city areas would look and I was so glad that LC was going to resemble NY for the hundreds of Housing Projects across the city ranging from row houses to low rises, mid rises and high rise tower blcoks. I was mad you couldn't get into the housing projects in SR and had high hopes for IV. Well the ares of LC look different but none of them feel any different.

In real life NY places like the Marcy Homes, Brownsville Homes, St Nick Homes, Queensbridge Homes and etc feel like a way differnt world. Besides the fact you can only enter in like 10% of the buildnings in IV when R* said you could enter the majority before the game released, you can't even enter 1/4th o the housing projects let alone get past the 1st floor. I mean what happened to the whole you should be scared to go to certain places at dark thing that R* said? The inner city areas have differnt peds and look differnt but overall they all feel the exact same way. North Holland doesn't feel anymore differnt that Rotterdamn besides the fact they look differnt and have different peds.

So besides the fact LC doesn't feel or seem like a real city most of the city is wasted space. Yes there's hundreds of building and as said before you can't even enter 1/4th of them. Also what's the point for places like the amusement park, or the movies or the malls or hell even most stores when you cant even go in them.

Oh and what happened to peds have schedules. Didn't R* say you could follow a ped from their house in the moring all the way to when they go back home at night? Well that's another thing R* didn't have in the game.

LC looks like a real city but it doesn't feel like a real city and it just shows that games still have a far way to go.

Also is it me or is R* starting to turn out to be the next Peter Molyneux( the Fable guy and Black and White creator) who promisses so much for their games and before the game launches it seems to revolutionary but when it comes out it either doesn't have those features or those features are only represnted as a fraction of what they said?

1) It has been the most real life city R* have created.
2) Just because you can't go in most of the buildings in LC doesn't make it feel less of a city. Why would you want to go in every building anyway?
3) There isn't wasted space. It's called scenery and it gives it atmosphere.
4) R* never said that you could follow a ped around all day and see him go to work, go for lunch, go home at night etc. Schedules were a pipe dream created on these forums.
5) It doesn't feel like a "real" city because it's a "game". Your asking too much of a game, if you want a "real" city go outside.
6) Wait and see, GTA IV is the bedrock of the future of GTA. Like III before it, the game will be built upon and elaborated. Don't be so quick to condemn it.

Play it for what it is, not what you would rather it be. You'll find you can enjoy it more.

Karambalaya
  • Karambalaya

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 26 May 2008 - 09:46 PM

QUOTE (Southside Dukes Ballas @ May 26 2008, 23:22)
[..]
R* was claiming it was going to be the most real life city in games and have no wasted space etc.
[..]
R* said you could enter the majority [of the buildings] before the game released
[..]
Didn't R* say you could follow a ped from their house in the moring all the way to when they go back home at night?
[..]

R* has claimed a lot haven't they? dozingoff.gif Do you care to give some sources to all these alleged broken promises?

Algonquin Bridge
  • Algonquin Bridge

Large, metallic bridge structure carrying cars across water.

• Members

Posted 26 May 2008 - 09:47 PM

I'm sorry, but when I first walked along the Broker coastline outside of Roman's depot at night, facing Algonquin (which was closed off), looking at the lights flickering and hearing the ambient sound of the city- I knew that this game had a believable city. Yes, it does have it's flaws, but the sheer beauty and detail it has far makes up for it.

illadelph0808
  • illadelph0808

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 26 May 2008 - 09:47 PM

QUOTE (Southside Dukes Ballas @ May 26 2008, 21:40)
And lildelph08 or what ever your name is you have proven you have a very small intellect with what you said.

hahaha OH really! are you saying that because your miniscule intellect means you can't answer my question?

oh yeah and its called humour, f*ckin baby

Southside Dukes Ballas
  • Southside Dukes Ballas

Thug

• Members

Posted 26 May 2008 - 09:49 PM Edited by Southside Dukes Ballas, 26 May 2008 - 09:51 PM.

QUOTE (ethrion @ May 26 2008, 21:44)

2) Just because you can't go in most of the buildings in LC doesn't make it feel less of a city. Why would you want to go in every building anyway?
4) R* never said that you could follow a ped around all day and see him go to work, go for lunch, go home at night etc. Schedules were a pipe dream created on these forums.
5) It doesn't feel like a "real" city because it's a "game". Your asking too much of a game, if you want a "real" city go outside.
6) Wait and see, GTA IV is the bedrock of the future of GTA. Like III before it, the game will be built upon and elaborated. Don't be so quick to condemn it.

Play it for what it is, not what you would rather it be. You'll find you can enjoy it more.

Well that just proves a point by so many GTA fans. IV is just a game so why do so many people want it to be so realistic? What I've said is only because R* said it would be this way. R* said LC would be like NY and crime of NY in the 90s. If you haven't been or lived in NY from the 80s to now then you honestly won't know what I'm talking about.

If R* never promised so much or mentioned so much to only half do it it wouldn't be a problem.

And imo Los Santos was the realest GTA city.

And to lildelph you f*cking dumbass I answered your questions in my thread starter. If you could read you would understand what I'm talking about idiot.

unoleian
  • unoleian

Peon

• Members

Posted 26 May 2008 - 09:51 PM

Liberty City is far and away one of the MOST highly detailed and thriving cities ever created for a videogame.

It may not live up to some peoples' unreasonably high expectations and ludicrous concepts of what current technology is apparently capable of in their heads, but god damn it's still most certainly the best attempt at a "living" city I've ever seen in a game thus far.

Hands down.

No contest.

ethrion
  • ethrion

III < SA < VC < IV

• Members

Posted 26 May 2008 - 10:01 PM

QUOTE (Southside Dukes Ballas @ May 27 2008, 05:49)

Well that just proves a point by so many GTA fans. IV is just a game so why do so many people want it to be so realistic? What I've said is only because R* said it would be this way. R* said LC would be like NY and crime of NY in the 90s. If you haven't been or lived in NY from the 80s to now then you honestly won't know what I'm talking about.

If R* never promised so much or mentioned so much to only half do it it wouldn't be a problem.

And to lildelph you f*cking dumbass I answered your questions in my thread starter. If you could read you would understand what I'm talking about idiot.

R* didn't promise all that, it was other people on forums like this that demanded things like "following a ped during his daily routine".

There is also FAR more obvious crime in this LC than any other city so far in GTA. Have you seen the road rage, the police pursuing criminals on foot, traffic stops, the cops arresting a ped who attacks Niko, the more prevalent carjackings at night in certain areas?

How was Los Santos more real? Did peds talk on cell phones and actually have conversations on them (follow one around and listen), did garbage men do their rounds, did people sweep the streets, were the homeless in the train stations, did they ask you for money, were there buskers playing sax and then saying thank you for paying them some money?

damian001
  • damian001

Vice City fanboy

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 May 2008 - 10:05 PM

Ped schedules have been speculated since we were hyping for GTASA tounge2.gif The most they ever did was allow peds to park their cars in random spots and walk away.

Xamot
  • Xamot

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 26 May 2008 - 10:07 PM

QUOTE (Southside Dukes Ballas @ May 26 2008, 21:22)
My main beef is LC. R* was claiming it was going to be the most real life city in games and have no wasted space etc. Well LC doesn't feel like a real city and has tons of wasted space.

i think you need to look at that statement within the proper context. this isn't a sim game about city social life. it's an action/adventure shoot em up.

the level of realism needed for the game only needs to be servicable to the function of the actual gameplay. in that it creates a believable backdrop to the carnage.

so i understand how the game fell below your expectations but your expectations do a seem a bit excessive given the nature of the game and the purpose that the city serves in the game.

unoleian
  • unoleian

Peon

• Members

Posted 26 May 2008 - 10:09 PM Edited by unoleian, 26 May 2008 - 10:12 PM.

Yeh, there seems to be this problem around this game where R* apparently promised the moon and then some to its fans, along with a diamond codpiece and some damn hobo gloves. But most everywhere I look back on it, I don't see it now.

I see, in retrospect, case after case of minor asides on game scenarios in previews being read by some fans, and spun into these elaborate imaginative hypothetical scenarios that they really being to think is what they're going to get.

Sometimes, these elaborate imaginative hypotheticals on the game's features seem to have come out of nowhere at all, with no basis in reality.

Granted, some things officially mentioned didn't make the cut. Some things never do. That's game design for you.

But to say that Liberty City fails?

My god, I'd like to know what super-nonexistent game you've played that set your standards so impossibly high to being with. This city took my standards, killed them, and gave me a new bar to measure all future titles in the same vein/genre against it.

ethrion
  • ethrion

III < SA < VC < IV

• Members

Posted 26 May 2008 - 10:11 PM

QUOTE (Xamot @ May 27 2008, 06:07)
QUOTE (Southside Dukes Ballas @ May 26 2008, 21:22)
My main beef is LC. R* was claiming it was going to be the most real life city in games and have no wasted space etc. Well LC doesn't feel like a real city and has tons of wasted space.

i think you need to look at that statement within the proper context. this isn't a sim game about city social life. it's an action/adventure shoot em up.

the level of realism needed for the game only needs to be servicable to the function of the actual gameplay. in that it creates a believable backdrop to the carnage.

so i understand how the game fell below your expectations but your expectations do a seem a bit excessive given the nature of the game and the purpose that the city serves in the game.

Nail on the head with that one. One of the most sensible comments I've seen on here. icon14.gif cookie.gif

Southside Dukes Ballas
  • Southside Dukes Ballas

Thug

• Members

Posted 26 May 2008 - 10:14 PM

QUOTE (ethrion @ May 26 2008, 22:01)

R* didn't promise all that, it was other people on forums like this that demanded things like "following a ped during his daily routine".

There is also FAR more obvious crime in this LC than any other city so far in GTA. Have you seen the road rage, the police pursuing criminals on foot, traffic stops, the cops arresting a ped who attacks Niko, the more prevalent carjackings at night in certain areas?

How was Los Santos more real? Did peds talk on cell phones and actually have conversations on them (follow one around and listen), did garbage men do their rounds, did people sweep the streets, were the homeless in the train stations, did they ask you for money, were there buskers playing sax and then saying thank you for paying them some money?

They had actual shootouts with cops in SA, fire fighters and ambulances actually did their jobs while in IV paramedics and firefighters are pointless, I saw road rage in SA, I never saw any more car jackings at night matter of fact I've never seen a car jacking in IV, never actually seen any traffic stops just seen the cops waiting at the side of a road, also the very 1st day I got the game i attacked some bikers that hang around that burger shot in Dukes then called 911 for the police and when the police came all they said was " we got a call in this area" and I was still being attacked. The only time the police jumped in was when I started fighting back and then I got a wanted star.

Also when the cops pursue somebody on foot it's no where near as crazy as it gets when they chase you not to mention it's so unrealsitc when all they do is point a gun at a perp wait for a car to come up, put him in the back seat then get in the back with him. Not to mention I followed the poilce cruiser and it just drives around and nevr goes to the station.

tarquin biscuitbarrel
  • tarquin biscuitbarrel

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 26 May 2008 - 10:19 PM

QUOTE (Southside Dukes Ballas @ May 26 2008, 21:42)

of course because only IV dickriders are the only ones who say it's the best game ever and can't even admit about it's flaws.

stop cutting yourself

ethrion
  • ethrion

III < SA < VC < IV

• Members

Posted 26 May 2008 - 10:21 PM Edited by ethrion, 26 May 2008 - 10:29 PM.

QUOTE (Southside Dukes Ballas @ May 27 2008, 06:14)
QUOTE (ethrion @ May 26 2008, 22:01)

They had actual shootouts with cops in SA, fire fighters and ambulances actually did their jobs while in IV paramedics and firefighters are pointless, I saw road rage in SA, I never saw any more car jackings at night matter of fact I've never seen a car jacking in IV, never actually seen any traffic stops just seen the cops waiting at the side of a road, also the very 1st day I got the game i attacked some bikers that hang around that burger shot in Dukes then called 911 for the police and when the police came all they said was " we got a call in this area" and I was still being attacked. The only time the police jumped in was when I started fighting back and then I got a wanted star.

Also when the cops pursue somebody on foot it's no where near as crazy as it gets when they chase you not to mention it's so unrealsitc when all they do is point a gun at a perp wait for a car to come up, put him in the back seat then get in the back with him. Not to mention I followed the poilce cruiser and it just drives around and nevr goes to the station.

So basically just because you haven't experienced it yet means it doesn't happen? Ive been carjacked at night, ive seen people get jacked. Peds fight back a lot more than they used to and it's specific peds too, you can see who might fight back and who will likely run. No other GTA has had foot pursuits before so be happy with what you've got jeez!

It sounds like you won't ever be pleased with this game, thats fine, thats your call but you're asking too much. As a previous poster said:
This isn't a sim game about city social life. it's an action/adventure shoot em up.

If you want real life, go outside, but stop demanding the unrealistic. R* didn't promise what you're asking for.

Johnny Burbank
  • Johnny Burbank

Hustler

• Members

Posted 26 May 2008 - 10:34 PM

Here's my thoughts.

I tend to agree with the OP that the different neighborhoods don't feel much different from the other. But as I play the game more and more, I am noticing that a lot of this is due to the lighting and different times of day.

For example, I think the reddish and yellowish sunny times of day mask a lot of the grit and grime that is there in bad neighborhoods, but at night or when my headlights are shining at buildings and the street lights are on, you can see these differences a lot more clearly.

The lighting tends to conceal a lot of the details, something I am beginning to notice. Whereas in real life, it never does that; a beat up neighborhood looks and feels like a beat up neighborhood all day long.

I think they will need to tweak the lighting filters and effects for the next game if they want to give a stark contrast to the different areas, like they tried in SA with a clear filter in Las Venturas, a rainy one in San Fierro, a smoggy one in Las Venturas. I'd prefer a more naturalistic lighting effect like I saw inAlan Wake. The game, especially in the afternoons, reminds me a lot of PAIN for the PS3. Makes things look cartoony.

emigrating
  • emigrating

Playa

• Members

Posted 26 May 2008 - 11:35 PM

QUOTE (ethrion @ May 26 2008, 22:21)
Peds fight back a lot more than they used to and it's specific peds too, you can see who might fight back and who will likely run. No other GTA has had foot pursuits before so be happy with what you've got jeez!

Now that's just wrong - in GTA:SA there were gangs who remembered you. Piss off a gang one too many times and you'd better watch out the next time you enter their area. This just doesn't happen in IV - head down in the russian districts for example, pick a lot of fights and sure, they'll attack you there and then, but return a day or week later and they've completely forgotten about you. Realistic my ass.

As for the game as a whole - the OP is, IMNSHO, right. There are a lot of small things missing which would have taken this good game into greatness. Didn't R* say they recorded some 1000 lines of speech for each pedestrian in the game? If so, how come I keep hearing the same old phone conversations over and over again? Or what about the valleygirls constantly saying "live on wine and cigarettes" or whatever?

What about the people living in the Alderney mansions? Do they not have jobs? Seems to me they spawn in the same place all the time, and all they ever do is water the lawn or clean the driveway. At least have them jump in a vehicle and run down to the local burgershot for some food.

Etc, etc... Why the hell can't people just accept the game has it's flaws instead of defending it to death as soon as someone critisises it in the slightest? Ok, so you really think it's worthy of a 10/10 score? Fair enough but accept the fact some people do not.

unoleian
  • unoleian

Peon

• Members

Posted 26 May 2008 - 11:44 PM Edited by unoleian, 26 May 2008 - 11:51 PM.

Okay, of course there's room for improvement.

That's why we still don't play Pac Man and only Pac Man.
One man dreams of something bigger, and eventually it happens.

Every game since the end of time has suffered from the 'coulda, shoulda,' nitpicks and imaginations of practically everyone.

The problem is practicality, and sensibility. These things will come in time. But now already, games border on the hideously complex. To get them where they even are now is an amazing feat of imagination and technology. Sure, it 'could' do this, it 'should' do that, but then look now how far the depth and variety has come already from GTAIII! Starting then, everyone's wanted this massively complex, incredibly unrealistic vision of godly greatness appearing in the game, and appearing NOW! But damn, folks.

I don't see these perceived flaws, because the improvement from GTA until now, in less time than it takes to get a whiny kid into high school, is absolutely phenomenal!

I don't get these perceived flaws because I don't take the massive work needed to get what we got for granted.

It's good to have expectations, but damn, at least keep them realistic. And know that in due time, you'll get what you dream of.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users