Quantcast

» «
Photo

Copyright Infringement for gameplay video?

45 replies to this topic
SyphonPayne
  • SyphonPayne

E FOR EFFORT!!!

• Members

Posted 23 May 2008 - 06:16 AM

Ok, so on video.google.com I posted a gameplay video on april 30th, was an approximately 7-minute video with me getting chased by cops and stuff. Anyway, I can understand them taking down videos released before the release date, but after? Why??? How do I not have the right to post a video of a game that I PAID DAMN GOOD MONEY FOR, PLEASE someone with a brain explain to me what I did wrong and/or give me advice as to what I should do about this if I can do anything at all?

I'll post the email I got about it:

QUOTE (video-[email protected])
Hi,

Google was notified that your video "SyphonPayne's GTA IV run in
the "Ruiner"" allegedly violates the copyright of others. According to
our policy regarding copyright complaints, we are removing the video in
question.

For your account to remain active in the future, please do not submit
videos that you do not have all legal rights to use. Further copyright
violations may result in the termination of your Google Video account
per our Terms and
Conditions(http://video.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=31704&topic=8710&&hl=en)

Contesting removals based on United States Copyright Claims:

If you believe this removal was done in error and wish to contest it,
please visit http://www.google.com/video_dmca.html for more information
on how to file a counter notification in the US. Please note that as
part of the process, we will forward your notice to the person who sent
us the copyright complaint about your video.

Contesting removals based on a non-United States Copyright Claims:

If you believe this removal was done in error, you should respond to
the person or company who made the complaint to resolve the matter with
them directly. Please note that we can provide you with relevant
information for this purpose.

Sincerely,

The Google Video Team
http://video.google.com/

Ok, and another thing, I posted a video of a glitch in IV nearly a month later, should I remove it before my account gets terminated???

PS I've had several San Andreas and a Vice City gameplay video up for YEARS and never ever had a problem, why is it that GTA IV videos are STILL getting removed??? Please help I'm so confused, and I don't know if I'm mad, sad, or what I feel like I'm being attacked for such a petty little thing that I only posted the vid to show some of my friends.

josh995
  • josh995

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 23 May 2008 - 06:21 AM

http://youtube.com

A lot better, and a lot more traffic than google video.

Neon25
  • Neon25

Proud PC gamer

• Members

Posted 23 May 2008 - 06:24 AM

QUOTE (josh995 @ May 23 2008, 06:21)

You DO know that google took over youtube and google video and youtube is practically the same now?

RidingHigh
  • RidingHigh

Illiteracy Will Prevail

• Members

Posted 23 May 2008 - 06:35 AM Edited by RidingHigh, 23 May 2008 - 06:41 AM.

Don't worry about Google terminating your account. I've had a bunch of stuff taken down off google for copyright reasons over last year, and my account is still up. Youtube however, will remove your account on the first offence.

Copyrights usually have a limit, after a certain date they are void. So maybe R* bought copyrights until 2009. Probably because of the delay, since they wouldn't have known when in 2008 it was going to be released, they decided to buy copyrights until the end of 2008 to be safe on that. Just my guess.

josh995
  • josh995

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 23 May 2008 - 06:37 AM

QUOTE (Neon25 @ May 23 2008, 00:24)
QUOTE (josh995 @ May 23 2008, 06:21)

You DO know that google took over youtube and google video and youtube is practically the same now?

http://video.google.com/

They don't link to the same place, they aren't the same thing. Yeah, Google Video plays YouTube videos, but more people type youtube.com than do video.google.com

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 23 May 2008 - 06:51 AM Edited by Slamman, 23 May 2008 - 06:53 AM.

As I was going to respond, my Wifi Hotspot went cold and never came back, so I had to switch to my tried and true dialup, gotta love it....terminal slow speed that never conks out!

Anyway, I think it's bogus as well because there are countless walkthrus and demos from E3, etc... All worthy of show, even people filming others playing Guitar Hero, or what have you.
Google did buy out YouTube, they own it, fully. They have their own video channel and many others do to. You have to keep low profile if you want to have your video 'safe', which is why I'd set up a LiveVideo channel instead of those other two, and I have in fact. Very little hits, but you have to paste the URL in a page to steer people to them. The audio is always in stereo, unlike YouTube and the image is just as good. If you use GameTrailers, they'll also find it and perhaps pull the video off....still

Watch what tags you set up, don't make it obvious via tags like GTA 4, gameplay, etc.

Karambalaya
  • Karambalaya

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 23 May 2008 - 06:54 AM

The guy behind the YouTube channel "gtamissions" was contacted by Take2 and isn't allowed to upload any GTA IV videoes until 2009.

Grand Theft Auto Dude
  • Grand Theft Auto Dude

• Members

Posted 23 May 2008 - 06:58 AM

QUOTE (Karambalaya @ May 23 2008, 16:54)
The guy behind the YouTube channel "gtamissions" was contacted by Take2 and isn't allowed to upload any GTA IV videoes until 2009.

Is that why? Damn. RidingHigh must be right.

SyphonPayne
  • SyphonPayne

E FOR EFFORT!!!

• Members

Posted 23 May 2008 - 06:59 AM

Could they have removed it because of the length? Too long or something? Reveals too much? I just don't understand why they feel the need to be dicks about it.

ceedot
  • ceedot

Zeestar.

• Members

Posted 23 May 2008 - 07:00 AM

It says talk to Rockstar. So talk to them?

They have the right to take down video's on their site, and if Rockstar requests since they still have rights to their game.

SyphonPayne
  • SyphonPayne

E FOR EFFORT!!!

• Members

Posted 23 May 2008 - 07:02 AM

So it's not my game? I spent $60 on something that's not even mine? Awesome.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 23 May 2008 - 07:02 AM

You can be sneaky about it, but for me it was not one infraction that caused the powers in charge to pull my whole channel, it was in fact, THREE videos and TWO companies complaining I had usurped their material. Warners (Warner Bros.) and NBC/Universal. Obviously they are saying you can counter the complaint to Take Two, or Whomever. If you're not too worried about them taking you to court to make an example out of, you can claim others do it all the time with no repercussions, however, the Court might not agree with that stance, nor the CR owners.

Pagelzilla
  • Pagelzilla

Blowjob Enthusiast

• Members

Posted 23 May 2008 - 07:06 AM

When you buy any software, what you're paying for is a license to use their product. That doesn't give you the right to distribute videos of what the software does without permission from the company.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 23 May 2008 - 07:07 AM Edited by Slamman, 23 May 2008 - 07:11 AM.

QUOTE (SyphonPayne @ May 23 2008, 07:02)
So it's not my game? I spent $60 on something that's not even mine? Awesome.

Since you bought a CD with music on it, the same applies here, you own the carrier but no rights to the artists' work because you bought their supplied product. This is widely argued and documented in the whole Napster court cases, and the RIAA suing people for illegal downloads...That one girl (from MN) with many violations found on her laptop, she had to pay the piper.
The same can be noted about sports broadcasts, you don't have any rights to re-broadcast them, and that's what people try to get away with on YT, etc.

Look up IP, Intellectual Property and Fair Use act, etc. You can find what limited rights you can operate under. There is and has been a strong consumer advocacy group since blank cassette tape has been under fire from the recording industry,... Things like taping of FM radio even. The Digital protection systems, Macrovision protection, DAT's introduction and protection schemes...It's always been a fight to keep materials accessible and usable

SyphonPayne
  • SyphonPayne

E FOR EFFORT!!!

• Members

Posted 23 May 2008 - 07:07 AM

ok ok I can see where this is going.

If T2 feel like being assholes about it, then f*ck it, I'll remove every GTA video I've ever posted.

blitsbebop
  • blitsbebop

tommy vercetti the italian goodfella

• BUSTED!

Posted 23 May 2008 - 07:09 AM

QUOTE (Karambalaya @ May 23 2008, 06:54)

that sucks.

Cyberpunx182
  • Cyberpunx182

He Who You Should Not F*ck With

• Members

Posted 23 May 2008 - 07:10 AM

i guess i'll step in here seeing as i've just handed in a big presentation on copyright law and intelectual property for my degree (its in computing not law)

gonna work on UK law here

so anyhow a copyright isnt actually a document a copyright is just something that is created whenever you make or write something that is actually physical and can be copied(like a video game, film, book, song).

a copyright just basically says "yes i created it its mine and you cant copy it without my permission"

by posting a video from the video game its not technically copyright infingement as you aren't giving away the game or passing it off as yours but you are breaking other laws.

as for saying that the game actually "belongs" to you it technically doesnt. its like microsoft windows. you own the right to use it but it belongs to microsoft still.

anyhow back to my 4.5k report thats due to hand in in 4 hours (i have 3k words so far yay me)

SyphonPayne
  • SyphonPayne

E FOR EFFORT!!!

• Members

Posted 23 May 2008 - 07:14 AM Edited by SyphonPayne, 23 May 2008 - 07:16 AM.

Deleted all the vids. It's not worth it.

Slamman good advice though, I may use it sometime.

Heh funny thing is I can see about 8 other vids pretty much the same as mine on google vids that were posted the very day they removed my vid. That was just from me searching "GTA IV" too.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 23 May 2008 - 07:16 AM

Fair Use rights are what we have to stand on, which isn't much, for things like backups in our personal lifes, but when the artists lose money from theft (copies given away for free), you hamper the sale of their product and money to the artists. How this relates to showing game play videos segments in reduced quality, beats the hell outta me! I find it terrible that the companies don't allow classic video to survive for the public to enjoy, like all the classic comedy and TV bits shown on YT. If you didn't film or produce it yourself, it technically should not be uploaded there.

SyphonPayne
  • SyphonPayne

E FOR EFFORT!!!

• Members

Posted 23 May 2008 - 07:19 AM

I dunno if it's the lack of sleep and/or weed but I'm actually getting really paranoid about this. I hope they don't f*ck me in the ass.

T2 I SURRENDER I'VE TAKEN DOWN THE VIDS GOD DAMN IT LEAVE ME ALONE.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 23 May 2008 - 07:23 AM

Here's the Fair Use doc I just Googled, I wasn't sure I recalled it correctly off hand.
Using LiveVideo, you can link to it here with [ URL ] brackets and it should still work fine.
http://www.copyright.../fls/fl102.html

As far as paranoia, I was before I joined up on YT because I used my real name and they can track you down! I just signed up with a new made up name on a new account, the trick with YouTube there is only a required multiple email accounts to re-register!

100%
  • 100%

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 23 May 2008 - 07:28 AM

QUOTE (SyphonPayne @ May 23 2008, 07:19)
I dunno if it's the lack of sleep and/or weed but I'm actually getting really paranoid about this. I hope they don't f*ck me in the ass.

Nothing will happen. You're ok. Me I have to sign for 5yrs probation in less than a week. I'll have to piss in a cup once a month, pay every month, attend violence classes every week, do hundreds of hours community service. I'll have to do this for 5 yrs and if I screw up once... I'm gone for more time... You, if you keep posting videos of question, will have your google video account banned.

SyphonPayne
  • SyphonPayne

E FOR EFFORT!!!

• Members

Posted 23 May 2008 - 07:30 AM

QUOTE (100% @ May 23 2008, 02:28)
QUOTE (SyphonPayne @ May 23 2008, 07:19)

Nothing will happen. You're ok. Me I have to sign for 5yrs probation in less than a week. I'll have to piss in a cup once a month, pay every month, attend violence classes every week, do hundreds of hours community service. I'll have to do this for 5 yrs and if I screw up once... I'm gone for more time...

Been there, done that. Was 1 year though minus violence classes.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 23 May 2008 - 07:35 AM

Here's another more specific web page on the subject, nothing too specific to things that actually violate, because illegal discussions are typically frowned upon, as they are here in this forum (RE: Warez, for example, and now, photo reproductions of magazines as you guys and gals should know already)
http://yro.slashdot....637240&from=rss

This one had YT mentioned as well as MySpace

blitsbebop
  • blitsbebop

tommy vercetti the italian goodfella

• BUSTED!

Posted 23 May 2008 - 07:35 AM

The trick is to make multiple accounts, keep one for a back-up. I lost my account (I bearlyed uploaded videos and it lasted for 1 year) and they never told me the reason why I got banned. This is my last try on Youtube after this I'm done with their site.

"The Youtube Cops"...yes you should be scared of them icon14.gif

I think you should try "Live-Video" because I got videos on there that lasted 3 years happy.gif

josh995
  • josh995

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 23 May 2008 - 07:36 AM Edited by josh995, 23 May 2008 - 07:40 AM.

QUOTE (SyphonPayne @ May 23 2008, 01:07)
ok ok I can see where this is going.

If T2 feel like being assholes about it, then f*ck it, I'll remove every GTA video I've ever posted.

You do that. I doubt they'd care.

Also, you really need to grow up. Yes, you paid 60 dollars. But, you paid 60 dollars to PLAY the game. You didn't create anything in the game, you didn't do anything. They made the content, they legally own the content until 2009 apparently.

You can use it, idiot. Obviously you already have.

And also, you said "Take2 leave me alone!" It's not Take Two bothering you, it's Google. So, stop being a little brat just because you can't have your own way.

MD_Reptile
  • MD_Reptile

Mudda'Farkin'Menace

• Members

Posted 23 May 2008 - 07:37 AM Edited by MD_Reptile, 23 May 2008 - 07:40 AM.

i hear ya syphon, all the feeds of IV that were leaked got taken down within 24-48 hours of showing up and becoming popular...its terrible the way rockstar is handling this situation, i can understand removing things that were released early, or things that were made using illegal copies, however if you film something yourself, with no intention of sale or income of any sort, how do they have any right to step in and take it away? corporate america will do that from time to time i suppose sarcasm.gif icon13.gif

PS anyway, i wouldn't count on take2 or R* suing, chances are VERY slim of that big of a deal from something like that.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 23 May 2008 - 07:40 AM

They'll either pull the videos you don't or will with the GTA4 leaked stuff, yank it in mere hours. There are TONS and tons of these videos on YT weekly and no way to narrow the band of people prosecuted so in that regard you're safe, but that doesn't mean they can't take you to court, to make an example of, basically.

josh995
  • josh995

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 23 May 2008 - 07:41 AM

QUOTE (MD_Reptile @ May 23 2008, 01:37)
i hear ya syphon, all the feeds of IV that were leaked got taken down within 24-48 hours of showing up and becoming popular...its terrible the way rockstar is handling this situation, i can understand removing things that were released early, or things that were made using illegal copies, however if you film something yourself, with no intention of sale or income of any sort, how do they have any right to step in and take it away? corporate america will do that from time to time i suppose sarcasm.gif icon13.gif

PS anyway, i wouldn't count on take2 or R* suing, chances are VERY slim of that big of a deal from something like that.

They have every single right to. It's a little something called the law. Don't know if you've heard of it or not.

SyphonPayne
  • SyphonPayne

E FOR EFFORT!!!

• Members

Posted 23 May 2008 - 07:41 AM

Well, my logical brain tells me that posting a gameplay video is about the equivalent of posting a video of yourself driving a car. It's not like I created the car myself but I bought the damn thing and that gives me a right to show it off. Yhen again some US laws aren't very logical such as the whole marijuana = ilegal and tobacco and alcohol the two bigger killers are perfectly legal.

Anyway before I go ranting and off-topic I'll just stop it at that lol.

@josh995: I don't want them to care, I want them to leave me the f*ck alone. Trust me it's not out of spite, it's my way of telling them "I get your point now f*ck off."

Also josh, your first post in my topic was useless, and now it's down to you being a smartass troll, go away.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users