Photo

Liberty City Short Film

24 replies to this topic
fahrenheit
  • fahrenheit

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 21 May 2008 - 11:17 PM

As I was playing GTA IV, I realised the potential for timelapse film making thanks to the day/night cycle and all the varying weather patterns. The first trailer was definitely an inspiration, so I was very pleased to be able to do this myself in-game.

This work was acheived by using one particular motorbike in the game, the Freeway (and the odd helicopter), which offers an uncluttered frame, free of any bodywork in shot. The shots required cramp-inducing holds on the controller for sustained periods of time inorder to get slow and steady shots. Slow pans required delicate movement of the thumbsticks. There is no way to cheat it, everything is done in-game without glitches, just lots of experimentation and patience.

You cannot get a smooth pace from accelerating forwards, so all shots that you see moving forwards or backwards against traffic were done while slowly reversing the bike down the the road and clicking in the right thumbstick to adjust the view. It was fairly brutal controller work to acheive the result.

Fortunately Rockstar gave the means to turn off the HUD etc and created a world vibrant enough to allow this type of creative outlet.

This is a direct link to the video http://tinyurl.com/58p2qm (39mb) It is PS3 and Xbox 360 compatible too.
The work is entirely my own, other than the music track which I credit at the end.
There is a streaming version here - http://files.filefro...;/fileinfo.html but it doesn't do it justice and butchers the framerate.

Hope you enjoy it.

Claude GTA3
  • Claude GTA3

I am awesome.

• BUSTED!

Posted 21 May 2008 - 11:20 PM

Host it on youtube.

Hell No..
  • Hell No..

Dad.

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 21 May 2008 - 11:28 PM

Wow mate, that was amazing. Things like this amaze me in real life, and this did the same. I would deffinatly put it on YouTube, and post it in the GTA IV section to get more views on it.

That must of taken a good while. Well done. icon14.gif

fahrenheit
  • fahrenheit

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 22 May 2008 - 02:12 AM

Thanks guys.

Funnily enough, youtube was the first place I posted it and I pulled it off before I had even finished watching it.
The quality is truely awful. The sound gets dumbed down to low bitrate monorual, the flash compression ruins all the detail and youtube's compression assumes that all video is 30fps NTSC, so videos like mine that are 25fps end up with a messed up framerate.

I think my work deserves better than that. Until youtube improve, I'm very picky about what I post up there. If it means getting less views, then so be it.

GTAdedan
  • GTAdedan

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 24 May 2008 - 04:53 PM

That was a great vid, the music fits perfect

Vanillainy
  • Vanillainy

Fancy Clown.

• Zaibatsu

Posted 24 May 2008 - 05:18 PM

That was really great, very good work. inlove.gif

Zak.
  • Zak.

slippi

• The Connection

Posted 24 May 2008 - 07:36 PM

f*cking brilliant, man. Great work. I've tried doing machinima myself, but haven't reached anything like that. 5 thumbs up.

FrozenFire
  • FrozenFire

Holy crap

• Members

Posted 24 May 2008 - 08:59 PM

Utterly breathtaking. I was really just taken in by the brilliance of it all. Such steady movement of the camera. This is by far the best GTA IV video out yet, and probably will be for a very long time.

Amazing work.

Trows
  • Trows

• The Precinct

Posted 25 May 2008 - 12:19 AM

QUOTE (fahrenheit @ May 22 2008, 13:12)
The quality is truely awful.

Read.

Chickstick
  • Chickstick

Fortunate Son

• Members

Posted 25 May 2008 - 09:04 AM

That was fantastic, mate.

fahrenheit
  • fahrenheit

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 25 May 2008 - 12:13 PM

Thanks for the support guys, glad you enjoyed it. smile.gif

Exfernis
  • Exfernis

Punk-ass Bitch

• BUSTED!

Posted 25 May 2008 - 10:18 PM

You tube

That was spectacular, well done. How long did it take?

fahrenheit
  • fahrenheit

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 25 May 2008 - 10:51 PM

Thankyou for butchering my work.

kingvercetti
  • kingvercetti

Is this the real life?

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 26 May 2008 - 12:26 AM

That was just amazing, Rockstar could've seriously done with using that for an official game promo, top notch work! smile.gif
Hope to see more stuff from you in the future.

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 26 May 2008 - 12:56 AM Edited by Otter, 26 May 2008 - 01:18 AM.

QUOTE (fahrenheit @ May 25 2008, 14:51)

Get over yourself, there, Ron Fricke. tounge.gif

Don't get me wrong, it's nice and all, but it's not exactly like you hooved out into the desert with a camera on your back, aye? wink.gif

Quite like it, however. Hopefully we'll get GTA4 on PC sometime soon and be able to tweak the hell out of it.

If you decide to upload it yourself, compress with h264 ~ 1200kbps, 640x480. Then, when a user watches with the high quality tag, they'll get a better visual treat.

fahrenheit
  • fahrenheit

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 26 May 2008 - 01:06 AM

QUOTE (Otter @ May 26 2008, 00:56)
QUOTE (fahrenheit @ May 25 2008, 14:51)

Get over yourself, there, Ron Fricke. tounge.gif

Don't get me wrong, it's nice and all, but it's not exactly like you hooved out into the desert with a camera on your back, aye? wink.gif

Its my choice as to how I present my work. You don't have to agree with it, but all I'd ask for is a little respect for my decision.

I expressed in this very thread what my justifications are for disliking youtube, so I find it a little on the nose when someone takes it upon themselves to just thumb their nose at that and just post it up there and link to it.

I accept that this is the very nature of the net and people will do as they please. But please don't imply I'm full of myself just because I wish to justify my personal preferences.

Glad you liked it. smile.gif

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 26 May 2008 - 01:09 AM

Hey hey, I'm with you on the fact that the guy shouldn't have uploaded your video without your permission. I'm just trying to let you know that HQ Youtube is a damned fine alternative.

fahrenheit
  • fahrenheit

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 26 May 2008 - 01:20 AM

QUOTE (Otter @ May 26 2008, 01:09)
Hey hey, I'm with you on the fact that the guy shouldn't have uploaded your video without your permission. I'm just trying to let you know that HQ Youtube is a damned fine alternative.

I agree with you there. The high quality option is perfectly acceptable as far as my standards go, but there is no way unfortunately to limit viewing to that version exclusively. The vast majority will simply watch the crap quality version and be done with it.

Just to set the record straight, I did upload a compliant h264 inline with youtubes specs, but due to the above reason, I was dissatisfied and pulled it off.

Exfernis
  • Exfernis

Punk-ass Bitch

• BUSTED!

Posted 26 May 2008 - 03:29 AM

I will remove it if you want =]

fahrenheit
  • fahrenheit

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 26 May 2008 - 03:37 AM

QUOTE (Exfernis @ May 26 2008, 03:29)
I will remove it if you want =]

Thanks for the offer.
I think I'm wasting my time trying to convince people not to post it there and if you hadn't done it, someone else would.

If you could link to the filefront download in the comments section or description, I'd appreciate it.

http://tinyurl.com/58p2qm

Exfernis
  • Exfernis

Punk-ass Bitch

• BUSTED!

Posted 26 May 2008 - 03:50 AM

Done as you wish =]

I hadn't realised you didn't want it to be put on YouTube. I looked in the topic, downloaded and went browsing again.

fahrenheit
  • fahrenheit

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 26 May 2008 - 03:52 AM

Thanks and thanks for the support.

Exfernis
  • Exfernis

Punk-ass Bitch

• BUSTED!

Posted 26 May 2008 - 04:37 AM

How long (In hours) did it take to make this.

C'mon, this deserves more attention!

fahrenheit
  • fahrenheit

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 26 May 2008 - 05:16 AM

QUOTE (Exfernis @ May 26 2008, 04:37)
How long (In hours) did it take to make this.

C'mon, this deserves more attention!

Sorry I missed this earlier.

I wasted several hours with footage that never made the cut and there was a significant amount of time involved in just scouting out locations, looking for the right vehicle or just waiting around for the right time of day/night. Probably 20 hours spent gathering assets.

In terms of actually cutting it together, it was more or less done in a day (title sequence gave me a bit of unexpected grief). I did redo nearly half the shots after the first cut due to not being satisfied with the result. And another day was wasted in compression hell before I had the final product.

I used a DVD recorder (DVD-RAM), Premier CS3, After Effects and megui to make it.

markiij
  • markiij

Anywhere City, 3 weeks in the future

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 June 2008 - 07:52 PM

Wow! This is very cool mate ^^!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users