Photo

Noob Question

4 replies to this topic
Kreepman
  • Kreepman

LOLOL?

• Members

Posted 19 May 2008 - 11:12 PM

Now, I'm thinking of buying a domain off of godaddy for my business, but once I've done that, what do I do?

Sorry for the noob question, but I am just blank confused.gif

Toadyd
  • Toadyd

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 19 May 2008 - 11:21 PM

The crucial thing is having a reliable webhost, where you can have all the files for your website uploaded. (If you don't have one see the pinned topic for some free hosts, or if you're willing to pay a bit check webhostingtalk.com)

Your host will provide you with at least 2 DNS (Domain Name Servers) which will be like ns1.yourhost.com and ns2.yourhost.com
When you register your domain with godaddy you'll be presented with a load of options - park your domain with godaddy, use godaddy hosting, enter your own DNS etc...) you will enter the DNS of your host and then assuming everything has been entered correctly within a few hours to a few days everything should be up and running.

Kreepman
  • Kreepman

LOLOL?

• Members

Posted 21 May 2008 - 03:01 AM

okay, so let me get this straight.

I buy a domain name off of GoDaddy (www.whatever.com) and then I find a web host seperatly?

Then that webhost will give me ns1.whatever.com, ns2.whatever.com, so then I go back to Godaddy and type in the DNS and im set in a couple of hours?

argh, this is too confusing suicidal.gif
Could you do this for me? <3

InsideOut
  • InsideOut

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 26 June 2008 - 04:07 PM

For example you could purchase the domain name through Network Solutions and also use them for hosting. You may find a cheaper price from GoDaddy but personally I would just keep everything together.

I've hosted with Network Solutions for a few years and all is well. It will take a little time for your site to replicate through the DNS servers and then it will be online. They also have an option for adding a 'Coming Soon' type page.

Hope this helps or at least gives you more ideas. smile.gif

dannico
  • dannico

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 August 2008 - 08:02 PM

QUOTE (Kreepman @ May 21 2008, 03:01)
okay, so let me get this straight.

I buy a domain name off of GoDaddy (www.whatever.com) and then I find a web host seperatly?

Then that webhost will give me ns1.whatever.com, ns2.whatever.com, so then I go back to Godaddy and type in the DNS and im set in a couple of hours?

argh, this is too confusing suicidal.gif
Could you do this for me? <3

Go to Domains > My Domains
Click on the domain you want to edit
Click on the icon thing where it says nameservers
Choose custom nameservers
Paste in ns1 whatever into the nameserver1 and nameserver2 fields
click ok
It should tell you it will be done in a few hours
click ok again
done

Don't host your site on godaddy though, they always have loads of problems. Get hostgator baby croc account, they are like $10 a month, has cpanel, fantasico etc they support practically everything. Once you sign up to them they send you your nameservers in an email.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users