silent Claude

85 replies to this topic
Flesh-n-Bone
  • Flesh-n-Bone

OG

• Members

Posted 27 May 2008 - 05:56 PM

QUOTE (stef_92 @ May 27 2008, 17:01)
Can't you understand that Claude is NOT mute. What's the reason why he doesn't speak nobody knows so let's stop with the topics like this, OK?

Ohhh, for god's sake if you hate the discussion about his silence then don't press on the topic. If somebody wants to discuss it then let 'em do it, you don't have to come to every topic that has this discussion on come and post "Let's stop this stupid talk", if you think it's stupid then keep it for yourself.

Raptomex
  • Raptomex

Listen to Slayer

• Members

Posted 27 May 2008 - 06:55 PM

QUOTE (GTA_Emilio @ May 13 2008, 14:03)
QUOTE (Claude GTA3 @ May 13 2008, 18:01)
Rockstar wanted to feel like you were Claude, besides, he doesn't need to talk. He's awesome and he does have a tongue. And no, he isn't mute. He id fully able to talk, but just won't.

so what makes Claude cool?

He's just the man. He doesn't need to talk.

GTA_Emilio
  • GTA_Emilio

Rat

• BUSTED!

Posted 28 May 2008 - 11:22 AM

QUOTE (stef_92 @ May 27 2008, 17:01)
Can't you understand that Claude is NOT mute. What's the reason why he doesn't speak nobody knows so let's stop with the topics like this, OK?

sh*tface I'm opening this topic to UNDERSTAND it

stef_92
  • stef_92

GTA3 Freak

• Members

Posted 30 May 2008 - 11:45 AM

So If you want a proof that Claude realy can speek, here it is:
In the mission 'Last Requests' when you get to Maria and Asuka, Maria starts to explain that she wanted to save Claude from Leone. And she says "Don't ask me why, I don't know!" (or someting like this). I think if she told Claude not to ask her 'Why?", she know that he CAN SPEAK and he could ask her wink.gif. If he was mute she wouldn't tell him "Don't ask me.."

cadm9410
  • cadm9410

Hustler

• Members

Posted 30 May 2008 - 11:31 PM

It isn't always necessary for the protagonist to talk. That's what makes Claude awesome, it's never necessary for him to talk. sleepy.gif

Dark_side646
  • Dark_side646

Prankster

• Members

Posted 31 May 2008 - 08:30 PM

QUOTE (stef_92 @ May 30 2008, 11:45)
So If you want a proof that Claude realy can speek, here it is:
In the mission 'Last Requests' when you get to Maria and Asuka, Maria starts to explain that she wanted to save Claude from Leone. And she says "Don't ask me why, I don't know!" (or someting like this). I think if she told Claude not to ask her 'Why?", she know that he CAN SPEAK and he could ask her wink.gif. If he was mute she wouldn't tell him "Don't ask me.."

This can be seen from the opposite point of view too. Maria screwed him up big time. She lied to Salvatore about him doing something he didn't.

This cost Claude his friendship with the Don as well as his chance to rise up the crime ladder and become a made-man.

Even after all this he doesn't even yell at her? I mean, who wouldn't be angry if they were screwed up so badly? He could at least have said something like "FU Maria." or even dragged her to Sal's mansion and made her spit out the truth. But noo....

"Don't ask me why" is what he's told and 'don't ask her why' is what he does without even flinching. Whats up with that?

And at least R* could give him a voice in SA, like a face-off against CJ or something to prove he can talk. Instead we get a hint at something completely opposite.

stef_92
  • stef_92

GTA3 Freak

• Members

Posted 01 June 2008 - 11:19 AM

QUOTE (Dark_side646 @ May 31 2008, 22:30)
And at least R* could give him a voice in SA, like a face-off against CJ or something to prove he can talk. Instead we get a hint at something completely opposite.

I think that R* didn't made him speaking in SA too because they want to keep him in that way by leaving this as a secret. But if he was mute how you think that he can understand with Catalina.

Flesh-n-Bone
  • Flesh-n-Bone

OG

• Members

Posted 01 June 2008 - 11:42 AM

He can hear but not talk? Ain't it one theory? I think he doesn't feel for talking. And IMO he is differed too much compared to the other protagonists in 3D. Such as being the only one not talking, the only one who can carry more than one weapon of same type (good thing.)

kingvercetti
  • kingvercetti

Is this the real life?

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 01 June 2008 - 12:20 PM

In the GTA 2 live action trailer, which does in fact feature the same Claude as GTA 3 (the name Claude Speed is briefly seen on a computer screen as his assassination is ordered by the Zaibatsu; and lets face it, what are the chances of two guys with the same name and same clothing in the same series being different people?), shows him talking and showing emotion, even though you can't hear his voice over the background music. So if you're gonna treat that trailer as canon, Claude is perfectly able to speak, but for the purpose of GTA 3, he never has to. This is likely because, as people have said, they wanted you to be able to identify with the character, in much the same way as never seeing Master Chief's face in the Halo games.

stef_92
  • stef_92

GTA3 Freak

• Members

Posted 01 June 2008 - 02:00 PM

There's another proof that he can speak. On Chatterbox Maria talks about Claude: "...He does talk but not too much..". This is enough to make us sure that Claude can speak.

Dark_side646
  • Dark_side646

Prankster

• Members

Posted 02 June 2008 - 06:59 PM

QUOTE (stef_92 @ Jun 1 2008, 11:19)
But if he was mute how you think that he can understand with Catalina.

He is supposed to be mute not deaf. Are you trying to say that mutes can only understand mutes? I don't think so.

And just because he grunts doesn't mean that he can talk. IIRC, the grunt sounded more like it was coming from the throat, where you breathe, rather than from the larynx, the organ responsible for voice. Now if mutes couldn't grunt and groan like that, wouldn't that mean that they can't breathe either?

As for Maria's line then if you remember, she only met him once before Sal's betrayal. In just 1 meeting, how can you decide whether someone who doesn't talk is definitely mute or not? Same case here. And she said "he don't talk too much" when he actually doesn't talk at all. That should reveal her ignorance.

DON'T get offended. Think what you want. I'm not forcing you but I only consider him mute because things point that way and it helps me understand the unrealism of it all when he doesn't even speak when people are supposed to. Even Gordan and Link were given lines at some point to point out they can talk but R* didn't even do the courtesy of one single proof.

spdrlfc
  • spdrlfc

Playa

• BUSTED!

Posted 02 June 2008 - 07:12 PM

QUOTE (elanman @ May 26 2008, 20:27)
QUOTE (Claude GTA3 @ May 13 2008, 18:01)
Rockstar wanted to feel like you were Claude, besides, he doesn't need to talk. He's awesome and he does have a tongue. And no, he isn't mute. He id fully able to talk, but just won't.

That's his style. cool.gif
Claude, your gonna love this.

if this is claude from gta 3 at 1:19 he lauges after finding the drugs proves he can talk

stef_92
  • stef_92

GTA3 Freak

• Members

Posted 02 June 2008 - 10:36 PM

QUOTE (Dark_side646 @ Jun 2 2008, 20:59)
As for Maria's line then if you remember, she only met him once before Sal's betrayal. In just 1 meeting, how can you decide whether someone who doesn't talk is definitely mute or not? Same case here. And she said "he don't talk too much" when he actually doesn't talk at all. That should reveal her ignorance.

No, Maria didn't say "he don't talk too much" ! She said "He DOES talk but not too much"!

if this is claude from gta 3 at 1:19 he lauges after finding the drugs proves he can talk

Yes, and when he put the picture on the table and stabed the knife in it I can see him saying "That!"

nickstemoeilijk
  • nickstemoeilijk

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 02 June 2008 - 10:54 PM

QUOTE (stef_92 @ Jun 2 2008, 22:36)
QUOTE (Dark_side646 @ Jun 2 2008, 20:59)

No, Maria didn't say "he don't talk too much" ! She said "He DOES talk but not too much"!

You're wrong.

She says "He don't talk too much", which would be slang for "he does talk, but not that much".

What she says on chatterbox is definitely "He don't talk too much".

doesntcheatGTA
  • doesntcheatGTA

An eye for an eye, a truth for a truth

• BUSTED!

Posted 02 June 2008 - 11:35 PM

There are already topics like this. Use search before you add a new topic, please.

Dark_side646
  • Dark_side646

Prankster

• Members

Posted 04 June 2008 - 10:33 PM

QUOTE (nickstemoeilijk @ Jun 2 2008, 22:54)
You're wrong.

She says "He don't talk too much", which would be slang for "he does talk, but not that much".

What she says on chatterbox is definitely "He don't talk too much".

Yes, she DIDN'T say that "he does talk but not too much." Listen to chatterbox again, stef. Why would she lie and say that he DOES talk, when he doesn't even say a single word?

And how is that an indication CAN talk? If so then shouldn't CJ's words be an indication that he IS mute? Shouldn't Maria's other words that "he's always workin' and hangin' out with the guys" be a clear indication that he's......wel you get the picture.

Like I said, considering him mute actually makes sense and avoids confusion. Otherwise, I should consider him as a stupid idiot for not getting angry at Maria and using her to get himself clean. Or that he is a pansy because people like Kenji, Catalina and Ray throw **** at him and he backs off when they advance towards him but not speak back at all in his defence (something CJ is known for IIRC).

Steve Crook
  • Steve Crook

Player

• Members

Posted 05 June 2008 - 12:40 AM

You can hardly judge normal behaviour by what Maria does. When she's around nobody else can get a word in biggrin.gif

Steve

stef_92
  • stef_92

GTA3 Freak

• Members

Posted 05 June 2008 - 04:28 AM

If he couldn't spek Maria would say: "He even doesn't talk!" or something like that.

nickstemoeilijk
  • nickstemoeilijk

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 05 June 2008 - 09:18 AM Edited by nickstemoeilijk, 05 June 2008 - 09:21 AM.

QUOTE (stef_92 @ Jun 5 2008, 04:28)
If he couldn't spek Maria would say: "He even doesn't talk!" or something like that.

On the radio she says "He don't talk too much"...

So yeah basically that means that he does talk, but not much.

Rockstar just made him shut up so you'd feel more personally involved with the character.

And that remark from CJ about Claude being a "mute" is just to make fun of him, as if he were to say: "Hey buddy, you might be cool, but I talk in this game!". The way he says it makes me believe Claude is not really a mute, otherwise CJ would be a heartless bastard, which he isn't.

(Del)
  • (Del)

Godfather

• Members

Posted 05 June 2008 - 10:20 AM

QUOTE (nickstemoeilijk @ Jun 5 2008, 02:18)
So yeah basically that means that he does talk, but not much.

OK i've seen this posted so many times, and I cannot take it anymore.. I feel I must reply.
He don't talk too much
is not meant to be taken literally, in the sense that he does talk, but not too much.. It's a saying you say to someone who hasn't spoken yet.. or speaks one or two words.

Now I understand it sounds like I contradicted myself there but a lot of people assume Claude has spoken with Maria behind the scenes due to Maria's wording on the radio station... when infact he may of never said a single word to her.

I'm also not against this topic, but with the amount of replies it has I do find it's gone beyond the point of pointless.. At the end of the day Dan Houser has admitted they forgot to put the voice on Claude.. they realized it at the end.. an figured it actually works.. so no-talking was ever put into the game for Claude. I think that wraps this up nicely.

Antonio Cipriani
  • Antonio Cipriani

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 05 June 2008 - 10:43 AM

Claude may not talk, but he definitely has a voice actor! Someone had to do those grunts.
...The things is we can't find out who, right? bored.gif

stef_92
  • stef_92

GTA3 Freak

• Members

Posted 05 June 2008 - 11:53 AM

But the interesting is why Claude don't give a f**k when CJ is screwing him so much?

nickstemoeilijk
  • nickstemoeilijk

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 05 June 2008 - 12:13 PM

QUOTE (stef_92 @ Jun 5 2008, 11:53)
But the interesting is why Claude don't give a f**k when CJ is screwing him so much?

Because Claude's cool and he knows he's the better of CJ. Remember that Claude could drive a car and pleasure a woman at the same time?

Dark_side646
  • Dark_side646

Prankster

• Members

Posted 05 June 2008 - 06:20 PM

QUOTE (nickstemoeilijk @ Jun 5 2008, 12:13)
Because Claude's cool and he knows he's the better of CJ. Remember that Claude could drive a car and pleasure a woman at the same time?

Weird how he has to stop in a corner for hookers in GTA3. Age must've caught up with him. tounge2.gif

But anyways, I'm not talking about the face-to-face confrontation of him and CJ, where CJ makes fun of him. I'm talking about when CJ cursed him and called him a mute when he got to the SF garage. If we take Maria's,"Don't talk TOO much" line seriously, we should take CJ's "Mute @**hole. Snake without a tongue." thing seriously too, right?

And seriously, how do you expect Maria to know that he's not mute just by one meeting? It might be taken the other way too but think about it. If you meet someone who's mute, but you don't know it and try to talk to him/her and get no response, you'll obviously feel that the person doesn't "talk too much" at the first glance, right? As simple as that. Same case can be considered for Maria.

I hand you guys the win in this case but, like I said before, it makes sense. I really find it too unusual for the guy to not talk even when there is a need. There isn't even a slight concrete proof to hint that he can talk; that can't be taken the other way around. Then again, maybe its because I never liked the silent types very much. tounge.gif

Zom-B
  • Zom-B

Thug

• Members

Posted 05 June 2008 - 06:30 PM

If you throw Claude off a tall building, you hear his voice in a variety of grunts and noises of pain when he hits the ground.

He can talk, he simply chooses not to. It's a silent protagonist thing, immersive for the player.

Gordon Freeman never talks, that's not to say he can't. I think it would be pretty difficult for someone to get into theoretical physics without ever talking to anyone. wink.gif

QwertyAAA
  • QwertyAAA

Ceci n'est pas une pipe, c'est le logo de Rockstar

• Members

Posted 05 June 2008 - 07:15 PM

QUOTE (kingvercetti @ Jun 1 2008, 12:20)
In the GTA 2 live action trailer, which does in fact feature the same Claude as GTA 3 (the name Claude Speed is briefly seen on a computer screen as his assassination is ordered by the Zaibatsu; and lets face it, what are the chances of two guys with the same name and same clothing in the same series being different people?), shows him talking and showing emotion, even though you can't hear his voice over the background music. So if you're gonna treat that trailer as canon, Claude is perfectly able to speak, but for the purpose of GTA 3, he never has to. This is likely because, as people have said, they wanted you to be able to identify with the character, in much the same way as never seeing Master Chief's face in the Halo games.

QwertyAAA screams and hits KingVercetti with a rubber chicken filled with molten lead

Dark_side646
  • Dark_side646

Prankster

• Members

Posted 07 June 2008 - 10:39 PM

QUOTE (Zom-B @ Jun 5 2008, 18:30)
If you throw Claude off a tall building, you hear his voice in a variety of grunts and noises of pain when he hits the ground.

He can talk, he simply chooses not to. It's a silent protagonist thing, immersive for the player.

Gordon Freeman never talks, that's not to say he can't. I think it would be pretty difficult for someone to get into theoretical physics without ever talking to anyone. wink.gif

Well, if you hear them clearly, you'll find out they're just normal groans. Groans that, if you think about it, someone who's mute can be able to make too. I mean, if mutes couldn't grunt or groan like that then they shouldn't be able to breathe either.

I don't know how some people find it immersive rather than unusual but each to his own, I guess.

I've personally alwways had one complaint about HL2 that it kinda freaks me out that all the guy does, besides killing aliens, is hearing people out. Not saying a single word, even at times when he should. But even in his case, or that of Link's, there were times when they spoke one or two lines.

Claude......not even a shout at Maria to shut her up (like in the ending) or a curse at Catalina. Think of it as Darwinism. There's no concrete proof but the hypothesis makes sense and helps me understand the situation better. tounge2.gif

Zom-B
  • Zom-B

Thug

• Members

Posted 07 June 2008 - 10:59 PM

His "grunts" aren't just exhales, he makes vocal sounds of pain. Sounds made with a voice box. Keyword. Voice.

I don't know why people won't accept it. He can talk. He chooses not to. Immersive player environment.

Monkeyman3232
  • Monkeyman3232

Chimpin Around'

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 08 June 2008 - 03:42 AM

My opinion is that he is a fagot, how would u really know if was going out with Catalina, he could've been just another thief like her.

And plus who would date a square headed tight-eyed mute.

(Del)
  • (Del)

Godfather

• Members

Posted 08 June 2008 - 05:20 AM

QUOTE (Monkeyman3232 @ Jun 7 2008, 20:42)
My opinion is that he is a f*got, how would u really know if was going out with Catalina, he could've been just another thief like her.

And plus who would date a square headed tight-eyed mute.

Catalina often rung CJ up saying she was making love to Claude, though that can never be proved.. We're gonna stick to the facts here.

I hardly think he is a f*ggot.. Just because we don't see his interest in women (other than the occassional prostitute) doesn't mean it doesn't happen..

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users