Quantcast

» «
Photo

Does anyone understand Little Jacob when he talks?

124 replies to this topic
Passing By
  • Passing By

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 10 May 2008 - 03:34 AM

QUOTE (trininickhaskell @ May 10 2008, 02:46)
lol yeh guys i can understand everything he says........im from Trinidad....the southern most island in the Caribbean. His accent isnt Rastafarian.......his accent is Jamaican.......Rastafarianism is a religion. "boboclat" is a curse.....its like sayin F**k........."scene" is like sayin "Kool"........and "bredda" (supposed to be "brudah") means "brother"
cool.gif

Thanks for clearing that up, i was finding people referring to his accent as "rasta" funny

its jus a jamaican accent

I understand him but, my parents are both from the carribean and i've grown up around alot of jamaicans here in london so thats probably why

trininickhaskell
  • trininickhaskell

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 10 May 2008 - 03:34 AM

QUOTE (Ekoms @ May 10 2008, 03:28)
QUOTE (trininickhaskell @ May 10 2008, 02:57)
QUOTE (Dotsanddimes @ May 10 2008, 02:51)
I'm jamaican so it comes VERY easy.He DOES say some out of fashion things and he says "and ting" too much

Big up R* for the music in the game........Munga, Movado, Bounty Killer, Jr Gong...........cant ask for anymore

thats ur opinion. The music in the game is sh*t for a good majority of us. thanx for speaking out for 2% of the forums. smile.gif

hahaha no problem........the music is the best part of the game for me.....does anyone here listen to massive b sounds and tuff gong radio??????
i would really like to see how people from outside the caribbean would react to this kind of music........it was a shock to me when R* realesed the "everyones a rat" trailer because of the music (movado) as this kind of music is relatively underground internationally.......in NY though, reggae is extremely popular hence R* has done a good job in authenticizing the game......

Slamman
  • Slamman

Godawful-Disturbed-Earl Root

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 10 May 2008 - 03:41 AM

Bob Marley is always a winner, ma Breddha!

trininickhaskell
  • trininickhaskell

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 10 May 2008 - 03:48 AM

QUOTE (Slamman @ May 10 2008, 03:41)

lol yeh man, done know. i always wondered slamman, would u have ever expected there to be a large gaming community in the caribbean? biggrin.gif

Rashon.
  • Rashon.

What Comes Around Goes Around

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 10 May 2008 - 03:53 AM

I understood a lot of what he said. He was a funny ass character with his accent and attitude and that's why he's up there with Roman as my favorite characters.

Waterbottle
  • Waterbottle

second daughter of my father's sister anne marit

• Members

Posted 10 May 2008 - 03:54 AM

With subtitles I understand parts of it. But sometimes he just goes amok with those crazy words.

DQ_4944
  • DQ_4944

Hustler

• BUSTED!

Posted 10 May 2008 - 04:33 AM

QUOTE (SealsNav @ May 10 2008, 01:55)
QUOTE (Noxo @ May 10 2008, 01:53)
i had to turn subtitleson because of him and i still dont wtf he's talkin about most of the time for example hes said bumbaclot alot, what the hell is a bumbaclot?

He always says 'Breda' too whatever that mean's and 'Seen', I have subtitles turned on and have to press start and go to the dialogue to make out what he is saying by reading it over and over...irritating and he talks too fast aswell.

Bumbaclot - Motherf*cker or something similar
Breda- Brother
Seen - Understand what I am saying
Overstand- Understand

And another not said

Chi Chi Man-Gay Person

My homeboy Rastafarian and listens to a LOT of Bob Marley.

Slamman
  • Slamman

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 10 May 2008 - 05:50 AM

QUOTE (trininickhaskell @ May 10 2008, 03:48)
QUOTE (Slamman @ May 10 2008, 03:41)

lol yeh man, done know. i always wondered slamman, would u have ever expected there to be a large gaming community in the caribbean? biggrin.gif

I think there is a collection of people into pop culture about everywhere you go, but when playing these at home in the USA I don't think too much about it, only online more then anything! happy.gif

Were those terms you listed all say by LJ? I don't recall all of it, obviously pacing my way through the game.

Darkgamr
  • Darkgamr

Keep It Gucci

• Members

Posted 10 May 2008 - 06:04 AM

bumbaclot/bloodclot = bad thing
babylon = police
G'wanh = What's going on?
I and I = I
Ras/Rasta = Friend
Black up = Smoke weed
Seen = Understand?

Slamman
  • Slamman

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 10 May 2008 - 07:38 AM

I and I is not "I", it's who ever Jacob is talking about, along with himself...so "WE" is more realistic...or Him and I, etc.

Some of it is just rather slured English...like Brother...with a heavy accent it only sounds like some new word.

jpro
  • jpro

GTA Badderman

• Members

Posted 10 May 2008 - 07:52 AM

(Passing By  Posted on May 10 2008, 03:34)

(trininickhaskell @ May 10 2008, 02:46)
lol yeh guys i can understand everything he says........im from Trinidad....the southern most island in the Caribbean. His accent isnt Rastafarian.......his accent is Jamaican.......Rastafarianism is a religion. "boboclat" is a curse.....its like sayin F**k........."scene" is like sayin "Kool"........and "bredda" (supposed to be "brudah") means "brother"
cool.gif

Thanks for clearing that up, i was finding people referring to his accent as "rasta" funny

its jus a jamaican accent

I understand him but, my parents are both from the carribean and i've grown up around alot of jamaicans here in london so thats probably why

Ditto and I'm pretty positive I and I can mean "me" or "I" because I know that when I've visited Jamaica I've heard many times someone say "I n I goin to do this" or "I n I goin to do that"

Slamman
  • Slamman

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 10 May 2008 - 08:31 AM

They were referring to a close friend or significant other, perhaps.. That doesn't make much sense if it's used in singular context as well.

Vovopok
  • Vovopok

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 10 May 2008 - 08:33 AM

Bumbaclot!

Melvinf
  • Melvinf

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 10 May 2008 - 10:05 AM

QUOTE (trininickhaskell @ May 10 2008, 03:34)
I'm jamaican so it comes VERY easy.He DOES say some out of fashion things and he says "and ting" too much

Big up R* for the music in the game........Munga, Movado, Bounty Killer, Jr Gong...........cant ask for anymore

thats ur opinion. The music in the game is sh*t for a good majority of us. thanx for speaking out for 2% of the forums. smile.gif

hahaha no problem........the music is the best part of the game for me.....does anyone here listen to massive b sounds and tuff gong radio??????
i would really like to see how people from outside the caribbean would react to this kind of music........it was a shock to me when R* realesed the "everyones a rat" trailer because of the music (movado) as this kind of music is relatively underground internationally.......in NY though, reggae is extremely popular hence R* has done a good job in authenticizing the game......

massive b sounds is great I listen to it alot

tuff gong - Bob Marley just makes it

Movado - I just love that song and some of his others

cps82
  • cps82

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

• Members

Posted 10 May 2008 - 10:29 AM

QUOTE (trininickhaskell @ May 10 2008, 02:46)
cool.gif

Wa a gwaan jah know?

"Bumbaclot" is the king of Jamaican curse words! Similar to c*nt imo.

I understand him, but I grew up a bit in the carribean, also been to T&T a few times. icon14.gif

Still need subtitiles to catch some parts though.

The radio channels are great for regga and bashment, seen. biggrin.gif

dicemanstyle
  • dicemanstyle

Liberty City Inspector

• Members

Posted 10 May 2008 - 10:31 AM

I can understand every word he says. After spending the last 6 years having to follow directions over mobile phones to pick up my drugs. Every dealer in london speaks like this LOL.

dlx
  • dlx

Homeboy

• Members

Posted 10 May 2008 - 10:36 AM

yes well.. what the majority lacks in taste it always tries to make up for it by speaking for me...stfu.

I love the stations... problem is, I already know a lot of the tunes, especially on the classic hiphop and jazz stations. A lot of that I've had on wax for years already... haha.
I remember the first car I got into, and group home's supa star came on. Man, that was our joint a long time ago, hadn't heard it in years. And then there's Jeru, Special Ed. wow.. Talkradio isn't as funny as before... but I think that's because it's the exact same humor as before and it doesn't surprise me anymore.

GTAIV Dude
  • GTAIV Dude

This member is dead until further notice. (22 Oct. 08.)

• Members

Posted 10 May 2008 - 10:46 AM

Bloodclot! biggrin.gif I need subtitles..tounge.gif

The Unvirginiser
  • The Unvirginiser

You ain't gettin' your tings?!

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 10 May 2008 - 11:10 AM

Turn the subtitles on, it also translates the Serbian

bennisboy
  • bennisboy

I'm the monkey and you're the cheese grater, capiche?

• Members

Posted 10 May 2008 - 11:15 AM

QUOTE (Noxo @ May 10 2008, 03:00)
QUOTE (SealsNav @ May 10 2008, 01:55)
i had to turn subtitleson because of him and i still dont wtf he's talkin about most of the time for example hes said bumbaclot alot, what the hell is a bumbaclot?

He always says 'Breda' too whatever that mean's and 'Seen', I have subtitles turned on and have to press start and go to the dialogue to make out what he is saying by reading it over and over...irritating and he talks too fast aswell.

i think breda means brotha or friend and i think seen means something like: you understand?

Yeah, breda is brother, mek is like brother as well. Seen means understood/understand? Bumbaclot is jus a cuss word, it means arsewipe

Tigz09
  • Tigz09

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 10 May 2008 - 11:24 AM

hahaha neither so dats da reason i put on subtitles... but i rekon badman iz worse he speaks so fasttt lol.gif

. Chippy .
  • . Chippy .

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 10 May 2008 - 11:26 AM Edited by . Chippy ., 10 May 2008 - 11:33 AM.

Batty- Primarily means butt; also signals to homosexuals. ‘Im a battyman. (He is gay).

Blessed- A Rasta word; blessing(s).

Bredda- Brother.

Bredren- Fellow friends and collegues; brothers in unity.

Dun know- Don’t know.

Duppy (dup-pee)- Ghost.

Gaan- Literally means gone. ‘Im gaan. (He is gone.)

Gweh- Go away.

I an I- Rasta speech for me. Me, myself, and I.

I-ree- Rasta word for “Irie”, which means to be happy.

I-sire- Rasta word for “Desire”

My yute- My youth. Friendly expression of calling a friend or youger one. Hey my yute. (Hey my friend).

Ragga- The current name of popular regae music. Ragga music relies heavily on a digital equipment.

Rass/Raas (rass/rahz)- Common word and expression meaning ass; also it can add intensity to objects or basic words in normal speech. Ending a word with clot makes it a curse word.

Wagwan?: Whats goin on?

Copianames
  • Copianames

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 10 May 2008 - 11:30 AM

If you think Ljacob has a hard speech ... what a bout Badman? I couldn't understand a single word at all. Not even niko and he understands LJ ok

Beery
  • Beery

Rat

• Members

Posted 10 May 2008 - 02:04 PM Edited by Beery, 10 May 2008 - 02:18 PM.

QUOTE (SealsNav @ May 9 2008, 21:55)

'Bumboclot means exactly what it sounds like - a 'bum cloth'. 'Breda' is 'brother' and 'seen' is a word meaning 'to agree' (sort of like "I see" or as a question like "Do you see?"). There's a nice Jamaican Dialect Dictionary here.

I don't find it too difficult although I sometimes need the subtitles. I find I can figure a lot of it out based on the context. I think a dialect like that is always going to be tough for people who have grown up in an insular environment to follow. In reality I seriously doubt that someone like Nico, for whom English is a second language, would be able to understand a word of it. But it adds a whole lot of flavour to the game and Little Jacob is definitely my favourite character in the game.

Original_Name
  • Original_Name

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 10 May 2008 - 02:06 PM

Understand Jacob? Yes. Badman? Not a fcking clue

linedraw
  • linedraw

Snitch

• BUSTED!

Posted 10 May 2008 - 02:10 PM

I understand him better now since I've been playing longer. I don't see his hard to understand talking as a problem. You can just go to Brief to see what he says.

nlitement
  • nlitement

Pare mou mia pipa

• Members

Posted 10 May 2008 - 02:10 PM

QUOTE (Dotsanddimes @ May 10 2008, 05:51)

One thing that was REALLY wrong with him is that if he really is a rasta, then how come he says that rum/alcohol enlightens you? Wtf. I thought alcohol/coffee/etc. is BAD in rasta; only the ganja makes you see things.

Lil' Red
  • Lil' Red

Liberty City Venue Force Assault Battallion Leader

• Members

Posted 10 May 2008 - 02:43 PM Edited by Lil' Red, 10 May 2008 - 04:39 PM.

The official language in Jamaica is basically broken english. My friend is Jamaican (he's the one who sent me those Mavado songs before GTA IV even came out, Amazing Grace> LC Radio)

He's Jamaican and he can't understand a word this dude says... it's just he has like the thickest accent in all of Liberty City.. I'm sure if you know the slang then you can understand him better but it's still a challenge to understand him whether you are Jamaican or not.

Now watch a bunch of Jamaicans come in here and tell me they can easily understand everything Little Jacob says.

lol @ hood= penis

Beery
  • Beery

Rat

• Members

Posted 10 May 2008 - 02:43 PM

QUOTE (trininickhaskell @ May 9 2008, 23:34)
the music is the best part of the game for me.....does anyone here listen to massive b sounds and tuff gong radio??????

I'm English, but I love reggae, so I've been listening to Tuff Gong mostly in the game, but I've also been trying (without success) to find a rock station that I like. I haven't tried Massive B yet - maybe I'll give that a go.

The thing with the game's music is that if you don't like reggae there's virtually nothing to get excited about. Apart from the reggae it seems to me that the music is basically any old junk that they could get the rights to. One of the best things about GTA: Vice City was that, although the eighties music was cheesy, it was catchy and you could really get pumped up for those car chases. Apart from the reggae, this game has music that seems almost chosen for its mediocrity.

Doctor Emmett L. Brown
  • Doctor Emmett L. Brown

Gangsta

• BUSTED!

Posted 10 May 2008 - 02:46 PM

Not all the time sometimes he speaks Jamaican gibberish.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users