ROCKSTAR vs. CANADA ? WTF?

10 replies to this topic
mmm chocolate
  • mmm chocolate

BLAINE COUNTY

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 May 2008 - 03:14 AM

So I just read the rules for the 100% CLUB CONTEST...where you win a "key to the city."

And read the rules for the CHARACTER SWEEPSTAKES thingy...

Anyone have any idea why you're not eligible to win anything in either of these contests if you're from CANADA?

What's up with that?

NedStark
  • NedStark

Deus Ex Machina

• Members

Posted 04 May 2008 - 03:16 AM

Blame Canadaaaaaaaa Blame Canadaaaaaaaaaaa

xer0er
  • xer0er

Too cool for school

• Members

Posted 04 May 2008 - 03:17 AM

I would say it would be more legal issues than Rockstar's personal vengeance on Canada.

Holophonic
  • Holophonic

Y'all Know My Steeze

• Members

Posted 04 May 2008 - 03:19 AM

There's alot of red tape when it comes to Canadian contests with prizes...skill testing questions and all this...

mmm chocolate
  • mmm chocolate

BLAINE COUNTY

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 May 2008 - 03:33 AM

not sure what to think...

all i know is that they're leaving out a HUGE population of people who love the game...and would be hyped to be included in any and all promotions.

I'm kinda bummed actually. confused.gif

Tsuroki
  • Tsuroki

Gone Fishin'

• None

Posted 04 May 2008 - 03:35 AM

QUOTE (Holophonic @ May 3 2008, 23:19)
There's alot of red tape when it comes to Canadian contests with prizes...skill testing questions and all this...

BINGO.

I spoke to some of the PR/marketing folk during our stay in New York City, and that is exactly the reason that they don't do it up here. Our laws require some rather finicky stuff for sweepstakes, so rather than jumping through hoops to do it, they just keep us excluded from the sweepstakes... that's also the reason we're allowed to do competitions and such, but not "random draw" contests.

mmmfloorpie
  • mmmfloorpie

Thug

• Members

Posted 04 May 2008 - 03:15 PM

Did you guys actually read the requirements for a sweepstakes in Canada? All you need to do is incorporate a skill testing question (ie: 2 + 2 = ?) before you're name is put into a hat and randomly selected... If Rockstar really wanted to include Canadian RESIDENTS (not neccessarily 'citizens') then all they would have to do is tack on a skill testing question like that prior to your name being included in the sweepstakes... Doesn't sound that complicated does it? Don't blame Canada's law, its there to protect against millions of random sweepstakes that are totally fake and don't have ANY requirements... In this light, I'd say it's still kosher to blame Rockstar!

phs1234
  • phs1234

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 04 May 2008 - 03:18 PM

QUOTE (Andy @ May 3 2008, 23:35)
QUOTE (Holophonic @ May 3 2008, 23:19)

BINGO.

I spoke to some of the PR/marketing folk during our stay in New York City, and that is exactly the reason that they don't do it up here. Our laws require some rather finicky stuff for sweepstakes, so rather than jumping through hoops to do it, they just keep us excluded from the sweepstakes... that's also the reason we're allowed to do competitions and such, but not "random draw" contests.

So all you Canadians stop complaining. Rockstar would do it if they could...

After all, the only good thing to ever come out of Canada is Steve Nash... haha, just kidding with you guys biggrin.gif

darkgunner93
  • darkgunner93

The New Guy

• Members

Posted 04 May 2008 - 03:23 PM

Hey atleast you don't live in the UK. We hardly get anything on the marketplace and can't enter alot of tournaments on live.

Hilly45
  • Hilly45

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 13 May 2008 - 07:07 PM

Yeah Im actually PO'd about this too. Thats total BS that they exclude Canada. I am familiar with the rules and you do need a skill testing question.
I dont think it was too much work to add the question, I just think they were afraid too many Americans wouldnt be able to solve the 2+2=?

lol

sorry guys im just playing, its probably those damn drunk Irish they dont want to piss off biggrin.gif

Oh and to the above post, marketplace sucks for us Canadians too

zeno52
  • zeno52

Rat

• Members

Posted 13 May 2008 - 07:11 PM

It should be some comfort to you to know that it's just a lame little trinket. It's not a really cool prize or anything tounge.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users