Photo

Driving Tips

8 replies to this topic
inveni0
  • inveni0

Man of the Hour

• Members

Posted 03 May 2008 - 02:50 PM

I know there are some people out there that are having trouble driving in GTA4. So, I thought I'd start a thread about how I am slowly getting the hang of it. I thought that, by sharing information instead of just flaming someone for having trouble, we could help everyone get the most out of driving in GTA4. So, if you wish to participate, list your system/controller and your tips on taking straightaways and corners accident free.

ON PS3
Two weeks ago, I started playing GT5:Prologue. It's awesome. However, this greatly affected my enjoyment of the driving mechanics in GTA4. I thought they were terrible at first. I slowly started to get the hang of it, and I realized that my weakness was in cornering. I found that using the handbrake in conjunction with the regular brake gave me the best results for cornering at high speed. Recently, I've even changed how I hold the controller so that this is easier. I now use my middle finger for R2 and my index finger for R1. The same for L2 and L1 on the left side. Once I started this, it almost felt as if I'd been holding the PS controller the wrong way since I bought a PS2 7 years ago.

I also found that looking ahead into an intersection is smart. You can see what the traffic signal says, and can tell where cars are going because they use turn signals. This makes clearing intersections much easier (though you'll still have the occasional a$$hole pull out in front of you). On straightaways it's also important to look at turn signals because a simple lane change can wipe you out.

The main goal when driving is to keep your car straight--keep the bumper parallel to the ground. If you're rocking and swaying, you'll wind up on two wheels, and steering is impossible, then.

Anyway, this helped me, and may help you.

Freyar
  • Freyar

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 03 May 2008 - 02:55 PM

Xbox 360

1) *Never lock up the brakes on any car. This removes the ability to turn, and seems to also increase stopping distance.
2) *Use the right stick to turn the camera to look into your corner while making a turn. Consider it the same type of camera maneuver while on foot.
3) *Try not to climb to top speed, the risk of severely damaging the car, and/or being ejected from the car is too great, especially on bridges.
4) *Remember that the throttle, brake, and steering are ANALOG, not digital inputs.
5) *Slow down at intersections, rubbing off a little speed is better than getting put to a standstill.
6) *Flashing an emergency vehicle's siren a second before going into the intersection should give you enough time to pass through just fine.

*=Universal tip

xinferio
  • xinferio

Who cares

• Members

Posted 03 May 2008 - 03:00 PM

QUOTE (inveni0 @ May 3 2008, 15:50)
I found that using the handbrake in conjunction with the regular brake gave me the best results for cornering at high speed. Recently, I've even changed how I hold the controller so that this is easier. I now use my middle finger for R2 and my index finger for R1. The same for L2 and L1 on the left side.

Thats the exact way I drive smile.gif
I found that was the best way as well. Works with EVERY car.

I just didn't want to share it with people..

biggrin.gif

MasterYoca13
  • MasterYoca13

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 03 May 2008 - 03:04 PM

i dunno, i'm naturally torunament grade at any game i play, so no struggle whatsoever for me.

i got forza2 and i've nearly beat the game all on champion difficulty, and manual transmission and all assists turned off. devil.gif

teetdogs
  • teetdogs

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 May 2008 - 03:08 PM

I found the best way to drive and corner is to treat it like you would a real car, dont try to go around sharp corners at top speed, it just doesn't work wel. I am struggling with the motorcycles esp. the PJC 600 and 900 the just dont want to make any type of sharp turn at any speed, anybody got any thoughts on that?

inveni0
  • inveni0

Man of the Hour

• Members

Posted 03 May 2008 - 03:14 PM

QUOTE (teetdogs @ May 3 2008, 15:08)
I found the best way to drive and corner is to treat it like you would a real car, dont try to go around sharp corners at top speed, it just doesn't work wel. I am struggling with the motorcycles esp. the PJC 600 and 900 the just dont want to make any type of sharp turn at any speed, anybody got any thoughts on that?

With motorcycles, you really have to learn to play the weight. I haven't rode lots of these (as they're harder to find than cars), but during my time with them, I've found that using the handbrake button and leaning the bike works best on corners. You have to really imagine that you're leaning against your momentum, and you can usually pull right through the turn.

Blackadder.
  • Blackadder.

Luck. Runs. Out.

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 03 May 2008 - 03:16 PM

A little trick to do is to steer away from the turn, the into the turn, it will make your vehicle turn alot more sharply, and is less powerful than the handbrake (So your car won't slide all over the place.)

allergictoshelfish
  • allergictoshelfish

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 May 2008 - 03:44 PM

i find it easier to half on brakes and when im about to turn finger on hand brake and skid into the turn. (works great for chases). smile.gif

twf
  • twf

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 May 2008 - 03:59 PM

QUOTE (teetdogs @ May 3 2008, 15:08)

That's suggesting that the people that play this game can actually drive in real life sarcasm.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users