» «
Photo

GTA IV Does not Work Anymore

112 replies to this topic
12gauge3
  • 12gauge3

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 04 May 2008 - 07:11 PM Edited by 12gauge3, 04 May 2008 - 07:16 PM.

I am buying gta4 tommorrow and will these problems still occur if I am not registered with PSN or I have no internet connected to it , is it still worth my while buying the game? This sounds like a total disaster. Today was the first I've heard of this problem and seems to me that they screwed up. I have experienced problems with Pro Evolution Soccer this year too on PS3, I think PS3 has been a disappointment so far what ya'll think?

stu.yates
  • stu.yates

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 04 May 2008 - 07:20 PM

12guage...

GTA4 is awesome, a great, great achievement in gaming. I've played it almost solidly for 2 days.

It works fine if internet is not connected - i.e. PS3 not connected to PS Network. This is relatively minor to playing single player game.

Hopefully a patch'll be out soon so can play online too.

But, your right - Pro Evo was one of my favourite games until I bought it on PS3 - though I think the developers are more to blame than PS. Developers are struggling to harnace the power of PS3. Be patient and im sure PS3 will shine!

DeadShock
  • DeadShock

"Hold it. Love it. Please it."

• Members

Posted 04 May 2008 - 07:23 PM

I had this problem and disabling the internet worked. I tried enabling the internet yesterday and it works find now for some reason. Enable your internet and try every once in a while, if you're desperate for online play.

DFringe
  • DFringe

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 04 May 2008 - 07:36 PM

I've had the same problem as everyone else but be aware you DO NOT get any results by deleting your saved date or game utility data and if you do this you lose all your progress through the game so far. I did the following fix and i'm back up and running.

Turn on PS3 and sign OUT of PSN
start GTAIV and your old save files WILL work.
When you try to use multiplayer within the new game it will ask you if you wish to sign back into PSN to be able to access multiplayer. I've have tried this over thirty times and i've been able to play single and mutli player, but if i restart the machine and don't sign out of PSN then i still get the loading screen freeze.

Hope this helps
biggrin.gif

shoutwebdaniel
  • shoutwebdaniel

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 04 May 2008 - 08:13 PM

I've read the fixes but just adding my rant to this thread... I hope Rockstar are happy. 4 years to make this game and they missed such a vital flaw.

Over the weekend I too encountered this problem. it start on the mission Deconstruction and now every time I boot the game it takes several reboots for it to work.

In my opinion the game is boring, the missions are too quick to complete and too easy and it's a backwards step from San Andreas. This further problem just compounds my disappointment with the game.

Shame on you Rockstar, shame on you.

darthsabre
  • darthsabre

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 04 May 2008 - 11:41 PM

Mine hasn't crashed yet.

I got the game on launch (UK), and the game work perfectly. Even Online worked fine.
A few hours later, multiplayer servers went down but the game still worked fine.
A couple of days later, I started getting framerate issues and laggy online games.

Now however, the game won't loading UNLESS I sign out of PSN before booting up the game, after that, no frame rate, multiplayer problems.

It is clear that this is a network problem, if the servers are packed then you will have problem, however a packed online server is also effecting people who are playing offline but is logged into PSN.

What R* needs to do i think is to make sure that you are connected to their server ONLY when needed, like going online or to update your Social Club scores.

At the moment, as long as you are logged into PSN, you are also logged into their server.

This needs to be fixed.

obese87
  • obese87

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 May 2008 - 01:31 AM

mine's frozen a few times going in and out of multiplayer and once loading my game.
The one freeze happened when I was already signed into PSN (most of the time this acheived during or after loading).
Can you guys post which mission you're on when it froze and what country you're from, maybe there are faulty master discs out there...

JaiiCee
  • JaiiCee

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 May 2008 - 10:30 AM

I've had the same problem. I find if you reset your ps3 manually; then turn it off by the back, then turn the plug socket off, and turn them on in the opposite order, it works for me. Anyone got any idea's what the problem is?

Thanks sigh.gif

12gauge3
  • 12gauge3

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 May 2008 - 04:12 PM

Does anybody remember the nintendo 8-bit a good few years ago. lol. This topic is bringing back some memories, the times you had to blow into the cartridge every time the game freezes which is impossible to count smile.gif

scottishrebal
  • scottishrebal

LCPD

• Members

Posted 05 May 2008 - 04:29 PM

well ive completed all story missions and backed mine up to a USB stick and my original versions are still working so good for me.

One question did you all use cheats atall?

fmarti1973
  • fmarti1973

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 May 2008 - 07:10 PM

I noticed this problem began this past weekend.....I too am experiencing this problem.....will try what everyone is saying.....Turn off newtork.

fmarti1973
  • fmarti1973

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 May 2008 - 07:14 PM

QUOTE (DK08 @ May 3 2008, 01:26)
just a quick thought everybody , anybody using the cheats ,

i used them but never saved the game after wards , could this be a problem , because i read it can mess up your game

Never used a cheat.

andriano
  • andriano

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 May 2008 - 08:58 PM

hiii veryone
my PS3 has done the same thing and i was purely teed off, waited for ages then it brakes. I searched the web for a solution and tried many but they didnt seem to work sad.gif then i found on one website that u should turn ur graphic settings to 720p. so i tried it
At the ps3 home menu i went : setttings >>>> display settings >>>> clicked the first one to change settings >>> clicked hdmi then it gave me the option to change display setting >>> so i put it to 720p (and signed out of psn network )
and IT WORKED tounge.gif i dont really no which one made it work but i recommmend that u try wot i did coz it has worked for me and i have now played the game for bout 5 hours since and it is fine turn.gif

OptimalDan
  • OptimalDan

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 06 May 2008 - 01:21 PM

I have this same problem, and I find that disabling the internet connection fixes it (or at least it hasn't reoccurred).

However, I have a suspicion that it's a firmware issue, because GTA4 is not the only network-enabled application which I've known to crash / freeze when it was doing something with the network. I've had Motorstorm freeze when online, and also the folding@home client has refused to quit sometimes when trying to upload a work unit. So I'm wondering whether the bug lies with the PS3's network handling code, and GTA4 just happens to trigger it quite often.

People who are seeing frequent freezes - is your network connection good for other machines which use it? Do freezes happen at any time, or are they more frequent when the network is congested?

Just some random thoughts...

Bob_t_monkey
  • Bob_t_monkey

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 06 May 2008 - 01:45 PM

QUOTE (gamesnooper @ May 3 2008, 03:07)
steps to fix the problem....

1. stand up and clap your hands

2. turn in circles 3 times with the last one only going 180 instead of a full circle.

3. jump up and down screaming niko niko niko niko for 30 seconds.

4. sit back down, take a deep breathe to calm yourself.

5. turn your ps3 back on and log out of the psn network, the game should work fine now.

Werked for me! biggrin.gif

Hilljack
  • Hilljack

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 May 2008 - 01:26 AM

This is my first post. I posted this on playstation boards also. You would think that some one at rockstar would have caught this issue during testing. Like oh IDK maybe "What do they call those poeple that test games?" GAME TESTERS!!!!!! Actually I bet, I almost guarantee they did and told some one hey wait we cant release this yet it has a serious bug! However the bean counters then replied UM.. ARE YOU NUTZ? This is a multi million dollar launch we cant even think about the possibilityof not launching!!!! We'll just fix it after we have the money in the BANK!! I remember when GranTurismo? came out for the ps2 and the US gaming public got basically a partial game. Because the game got rushed threw testing by the bean counters!!! Also have you all noticed that they are trying to down play this big time!!!! By saying oh it's only a small percentage of consumers that are having trouble. Um... How many people have posted on here and on you tube and N4G etc. etc. etc. They pump up all this hype about GTA4 being the largest launch or anticipated game ever. I'm not doubting that it may very well have been but at least they could have prepared a proper responce to the consuming public about how they would address the issue. This is the responce I got "You may have gotten a bad game disc. have the retailer replace it and try again". After 4 diffrent discs I get this thought in my head "THEY HAD TO KNOW ABOUT THIS ISSUE PRIOR TO LAUNCH" Think about that for a minute. I want to play this game and if I have to wait another 3 months for it to be rite then I have to wait 3 more months but dont tease me and tell me it's ready, WHEN YOU KNOW DAM GOOD AND WELL IT ISN'T!!!!!!!!!

thirdworldman
  • thirdworldman

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 May 2008 - 06:48 PM

ANOTHER FIX - AN EASY ONE

GTA IV froze on my system about 4 times within 20 minutes on the launch date. After ejecting the disc, I noticed it was scratched. I was lucky enough to get the disc replaced. This one froze as well. In MY case, it was the processor overheating, and I'm sure I'm not alone. If you don't already have one, I highly suggest getting a cooling system. I bought one from a company called Nyko, which you can find for about $30 at Best Buy. Since then, it hasn't froze up once and I've been playing a LOT.

rdkill
  • rdkill

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 May 2008 - 02:57 AM

mine froze 3 times today and i dont even have a internet connection for my ps3 and i have had no problems until today.i only play for 4hrs at atime then let the ps3 rest for 2hrs

MoonDawg
  • MoonDawg

DTA MoonDawg

• Members

Posted 08 May 2008 - 03:35 AM

Exactly the reason why I didn't buy a PS3. >.< My 360 broke once, but it was because I kept it enclosed in a corner causing it to overheat. Anyway, sorry to hear about this problem. I don't know what you mean by uninstalling the game? Can you play it from your harddrive or something?

ARM129
  • ARM129

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 12 May 2008 - 03:15 PM Edited by ARM129, 12 May 2008 - 03:37 PM.

i had the lock up after the slide show on my 60GB.

I found that once i removed saved game data and reinstalled it didnt work still, same problem. I then removed it and left it off for 15mins, i then restarted and reinstalled and it worked, but i had already removed the saved data during one of the earlier failed attempts. I had also removed my internet connection, but plugged it in straight after and had no issues since.

edited to say i have totally turned off auto save, i manually save prior to turning it off!

ddcontra
  • ddcontra

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 13 May 2008 - 10:42 AM

On my ps3 60gb, gt4 burned my laser and now the ps3 doesn´t read dvd, cd's, ps2 games or 3 nothing, my luck is that i still have support from Plasystation Portugal so now i will get a new ps3 i just hope that the same won´t happen to the new ps3, maybe i will wait till a fix comes around.

callofdutyBUSH
  • callofdutyBUSH

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 25 September 2008 - 04:59 PM

My first post here so I will keep it civil, I just wanted to say that I bought GTA4 recently the A05 Disc, and had similar problems with many of you guys like freezing randomly, ps3 becomes unresponsive etc, and aside from the 12 steps and 2 patches, I was still experiencing freezing on my ps3 every time I started to play. Another comment I wanted to add was Rockstar (taketwo) has done absolutely nothing to help me out in this situation like many of you guys so what I did was return the game for a full refund, this is the best solution to the problem, I guess I should have read the blogs before I bought the game, and shouldn't have expected the game to work(what was I thinking?). Frankly, I will spread the message, and rockstar(take two) will get thier heads out of thier asse-ts. icon13.gif

Bacnka
  • Bacnka

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 29 January 2009 - 09:38 PM

I got GTA4 for the PS3 and started playing it for the first time yesterday. I played the game for about 11 hours with absolutely no problems. During this time I connected the console to the internet and got a PlayStation account, all seemed normal, no problems.

Today, every time I go to play it it freezes after about 3 minuts of gameplay. If connecting to a multiplayer game, it will freeze on the waiting screen or in the game, but it's normally always up to 5 minutes before you start playing the game.

Is this a problem with the disc? Internet connection? PlayStation?

I reinstalled everything that was relevant to the game and there is still the same problem.

Is there any way to solve the problem? It seems strange considering it could be played for such a long time yesterday.

Thanks, any help is appreciated.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users