Photo

GTA IV Does not Work Anymore

112 replies to this topic
digitallysick
  • digitallysick

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 May 2008 - 01:25 AM

same thing just happened to me, except i have the 80gb model, and when i delete all gta data and re install, i freeze at the "starting new game" screen, it just sits forever and does nothing !!!! *upset*

DK08
  • DK08

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 May 2008 - 01:26 AM

just a quick thought everybody , anybody using the cheats ,

i used them but never saved the game after wards , could this be a problem , because i read it can mess up your game

Ryan51287
  • Ryan51287

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 May 2008 - 01:28 AM

I was on 42% completion and neither game save will load. This is absolutely rediculous to have to start all over. When I think about it, there is no point in starting over until a patch is released. It will likely happen again somewhere down the road and leave me twice as mad as this time.

Miamivicecity
  • Miamivicecity

Old school

• Australia
  • Best Member In An Official Group 2012

Posted 03 May 2008 - 01:28 AM

QUOTE (digitallysick @ May 3 2008, 12:25)
same thing just happened to me, except i have the 80gb model, and when i delete all gta data and re install, i freeze at the "starting new game" screen, it just sits forever and does nothing !!!! *upset*

Really?

I have the 40gb PS3, and I hope that doesn't happen.

Well atleast we know it's not the PS3, but the game itself.

I feel sick now.

FireEyes
  • FireEyes

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 May 2008 - 01:36 AM

Delete the game files not the save files. It got mine working.

Vive La France
  • Vive La France

On my own mission, I fight like a man.

• Members

Posted 03 May 2008 - 01:40 AM

Lol, my Acer Laptop just got the BSOD and I didn't care, GTA was on my mind.

Hayze
  • Hayze

• Members

Posted 03 May 2008 - 01:40 AM

I was having the same problem and all I did was disonnect from the PSN and it works now.

FireEyes
  • FireEyes

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 May 2008 - 01:44 AM

My game just froze and now it did it all over again. Just my luck. Has anyone called R* over the problem?

diablosammich
  • diablosammich

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 May 2008 - 01:47 AM

THANKS VIVA!!!! I found the take two link above. It worked and I had a game save that wasn't too far behind. Note to everyone: make manual saves!!!

Time to crack open a Pisswauser (sp?)

Ryan51287
  • Ryan51287

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 May 2008 - 01:49 AM

*POTENTIAL BUT CONFUSING FIX THAT PREVENTS YOU FROM HAVING TO START OVER:

After trying tons of ways to get it to work with my previously saved files and not have to redo all of the missions I have finally gotten it to work FOR ME. Hopefully it will do the same to you. I'll write it down in the steps that I followed.

1. Copy all GAME SAVED EPISODE FILES to a jump drive.
2. Delete all GAME SAVED FILES from the PS3, including all episode saves and the one named PROFILE. Keep the ones you have backed up onto your jump drive
3. Delete the GAME'S INSTALL DATA (the large 3+GB file that installed when you first inserted the game)
4. Reboot the PS3.
5. Start GTA IV and let it install the game data and start a new game.
6. Quit game and go into the GAME SAVED FILES again and delete the one named PROFILE. It should have been the only one there.
7. Copy your most recent EPISODE FILE from your jump drive back into your GAME SAVE FILE FOLDER.
8. Make sure that your episode file is the only GTA IV file in the GAME SAVE FILES folder and that there aren't any named PROFILE
9. Start the game.

*Apparently, what keeps your from using your saved episode file once you redo the long initial install is that GTA IV filed named profile. I couldn't get it to reboot using the previously saved files until I did it without the file named "profile". Again, this worked for me but can't guarantee it will work for you. If for some reason it doesn't work, try using one of the other episode files other than the most recent one in step 7. Let me know how it does.

jj9126
  • jj9126

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 May 2008 - 01:49 AM

Deleted three save files, ended up getting it to load one from yesterday. Everything seemed fine...

THEN I tried Multiplayer. Game hung completely, had to manually restart PS3.

Deleted game data, reinstalled. Went back to multiplayer...seemed ok

diablosammich
  • diablosammich

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 May 2008 - 01:51 AM

actually, it looks like I lost nothing. My "out of the closet" save seems to have the latest autosave. I'm still not going to rely on autosave anymore and also backup my saves.

Time to get some ladies - GTA style!

Miamivicecity
  • Miamivicecity

Old school

• Australia

Posted 03 May 2008 - 01:55 AM

Re-installing now. I hope this works.

Also I turned off autosave. Been manual saving.

gamesnooper
  • gamesnooper

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 May 2008 - 02:02 AM Edited by gamesnooper, 03 May 2008 - 02:06 AM.

Mine has just frozen today as well, Rockstar has messed up big time and needs to figure out a solution.

EDIT: The problem is the internet, disconnect your internet and the game loads up fine.

tin23uk
  • tin23uk

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 May 2008 - 02:03 AM

errmm why dont you all just log ot of the ps network, dont you think its more than a coincedence that its happening to lots of people. some of my buddies at infinityward forums are having the same problem and not on the same mission so i would say its some kind of server error. i just told one of them to try logging out and he said it worked.

and before some smart ass says "im not on multiplayer" that doesnt matter you get game stats from the server for the leaderboard even when your playing single player.

ffs whatever you dont go deleting your game saves after playing for hours

btraynor
  • btraynor

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 May 2008 - 02:09 AM

I am so pissed off. I just dropped 60 dollars on a game I can't play. It gets stuck loading the game. I tried deleting the game files but still doesn'y work. It would be behoove of rockstar to fix this issue immediately. Otherwise, I will get my money back.

tin23uk
  • tin23uk

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 May 2008 - 02:12 AM

QUOTE (btraynor @ May 3 2008, 02:09)
I am so pissed off.  I just dropped 60 dollars on a game I can't play.  It gets stuck loading the game.  I tried deleting the game files but still doesn'y work.  It would be behoove of rockstar to fix this issue immediately.  Otherwise, I will get my money back.

people just dont get it o they . LOG OUT OF THE PLAYSTATION NETWORK AND TRY IT AGAIN.

Miamivicecity
  • Miamivicecity

Old school

• Australia

Posted 03 May 2008 - 02:13 AM

Well reinstalling, and deleting 2 of my save files didn't work, so I have to start from the very begining. sad.gif

Atleast it's working now.

gamesnooper
  • gamesnooper

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 May 2008 - 02:15 AM

Logout of the PS Network and it will work fine. If you want to play multiplayer then you will have to have faith it doesn't freeze. This is a server problem and not a console or game problem which is good so rockstar can get a patch made.

tin23uk
  • tin23uk

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 May 2008 - 02:17 AM

QUOTE (gamesnooper @ May 3 2008, 02:15)
Logout of the PS Network and it will work fine. If you want to play multiplayer then you will have to have faith it doesn't freeze. This is a server problem and not a console or game problem which is good so rockstar can get a patch made.

did i not just say that,

hundreds of people having the same problem at the same time and all on different missions, what is the only thing that eveyone has in common???

Miamivicecity
  • Miamivicecity

Old school

• Australia

Posted 03 May 2008 - 02:20 AM Edited by Miamivicecity, 03 May 2008 - 02:22 AM.

Damn I wish I didn't delete everything now.

Oh well I guess it's not too bad. I accidently skipped the intro the first time I played it anyway.

I'm going to unhook it from the net, if that's the problem.

DWM
  • DWM

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 May 2008 - 02:20 AM

Same problem here. Turning off the internet connection fixed it.

What a horrible f up. I'm guessing this has something to do with overloaded servers (which is stupid, because it affects single-player even before you get to the point of being able to play multi) and thus QA didn't catch it because they didn't have any way of simulating the kind of load the servers are seeing now.

But wow, this just blows me away.

gamesnooper
  • gamesnooper

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 May 2008 - 02:20 AM

QUOTE (tin23uk @ May 3 2008, 02:17)
QUOTE (gamesnooper @ May 3 2008, 02:15)

did i not just say that,

hundreds of people having the same problem at the same time and all on different missions, what is the only thing that eveyone has in common???

very true lol. Not to mention its Friday night so I'm sure millions of people are trying to play and with all of us trying to sign on to play its making the situation worse.

grimmbob
  • grimmbob

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 May 2008 - 02:25 AM

That's one of the problems with playtesting a game that is goin gto be as massive as this one... You can test the hell out of it, but you can't really emulate the reality of several thousand people trying to log in and play all at the same time. It's why pretty much every MMO has huge problems out of the gate at launch. If you rely on a central server for pretty much anything (and it's a popular game), you're guaranteed that eventually "too many" people are going to be hitting it and it will cause you grief.

I am thankful for all those that have posted up their fixes already though, now I have a bunch of stuff I can actually try besides glaring at my display and cursing R*.

gb

tin23uk
  • tin23uk

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 May 2008 - 02:26 AM

QUOTE (DWM @ May 3 2008, 02:20)
Same problem here. Turning off the internet connection fixed it.

What a horrible f up. I'm guessing this has something to do with overloaded servers (which is stupid, because it affects single-player even before you get to the point of being able to play multi) and thus QA didn't catch it because they didn't have any way of simulating the kind of load the servers are seeing now.

But wow, this just blows me away.

see and you were all getting crazy over it, sorry i didnt get here sooner to stop all the panic, i havnt been playing yet tonight but i was pretty sure logging out would fix it

gamesnooper
  • gamesnooper

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 May 2008 - 02:27 AM

Sony needs to control their own online gaming instead of 3rd party so we wouldn't run into this problem.

Miamivicecity
  • Miamivicecity

Old school

• Australia

Posted 03 May 2008 - 02:36 AM Edited by Miamivicecity, 03 May 2008 - 02:45 AM.

I'm relieved now, that it's not the game, but I'm kinda pissed that I deleted everything when I could've just unhooked the internet cable.

Looks like I wont go on multiplayer until this problem is fixed.

This is probably causing the freezes people are having during gameplay aswell.

Just seemed weird that so many people were having the same problems.

tin23uk
  • tin23uk

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 May 2008 - 02:46 AM

QUOTE (Miamivicecity @ May 3 2008, 02:36)
I'm relieved now, that it's not the game, but I'm kinda pissed that I deleted everything when I could've just unhooked the internet cable.

Looks like I wont go on multiplayer until this problem is fixed.

This is probably causing the freezes people are having during gameplay aswell.

sorry i didnt get here sooner to save some of you gamesaves, as soon as more than one person mentioned the same problem at IW forums i knew exactly what was causing it and what would fix it.

this is a different problem than the one causing 60GB's to freeze up, that problemis to do with the console rather than the server

Miamivicecity
  • Miamivicecity

Old school

• Australia

Posted 03 May 2008 - 02:48 AM

QUOTE (tin23uk @ May 3 2008, 13:46)
sorry i didnt get here sooner to save some of you gamesaves, as soon as more than one person mentioned the same problem at IW forums i knew exactly what was causing it and what would fix it.

Nah it's fine dude.

I'm just happy I can play the game again. Sure it'll take a few hours to get where I was, but it'll drive me to complete the game.

atlas305
  • atlas305

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 May 2008 - 03:06 AM

DO NOT DELETE YOUR SAVED FILES!! I just soft reset my PS3 and turned it horizontal and my game loaded!! I have a 60gb US version. My game would not load after the out of the closet mission. I backed up my saved files and deleted them and it would still not work. After reading all these posts I soft reset (just turn your PS3 on and hold the on button until it beeps and the shuts of) and I turn my PS3 flat. (You are suppose to put it on its side for air circulation) After this I turned the game on and it loaded. Hope this works for others. colgate.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users