Photo

Take-Two fix for freezing games (PS3)

47 replies to this topic
Not_Dan_Houser
  • Not_Dan_Houser

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 02 May 2008 - 10:43 AM

This is from Take-Two, frankly it's a bit of a joke - as you have to basically disable most of your PS3's functionality, then disable most of GTA IV's functionality!

You might as well just grab a PS2 and GTA San Andreas.

But anyway there are a few interesting things.
Most people dispute the 'delete saved games' idea as not working, but some other items look interesting - eg turning off the PS3 screensaver - could that be kicking in during long running cutscene videos...?

Good luck!

suicidal.gif suicidal.gif suicidal.gif

Take-Two fix for freezing games (PS3)

"Please run through the following, go through in order.

1) Delete the game's install data. This is done via the PS3 options. Scroll along the cross media bar until you reach the 'Game' tab, now scroll up / down the list until you reach the 'Game Data Utility' Enter this and locate the GTA IV option. Highlight this and press triangle once, from the menu select Delete. This will delete the game's install information.

2) Delete the game's save files. To delete any save files you will need to do the following. Scroll along the cross media bar until you reach the 'Game' tab, now scroll up / down the list until you reach the 'Save Data Utility' Enter this and locate the GTA IV option. Highlight this and press triangle once, and from the context menu select Delete.

3) Disable your Internet connectivity for the PS3. To do this scroll along the cross media bar until you reach the 'Settings' tab, now scroll up / down the list until you reach the 'Network Settings'. Now scroll down to the Internet connection option and press x, now select the disable option. Once this has been done unplug the ethernet cable if you are connecting to the Internet if using this.

4) Disable the console's information board. To do this scroll along the cross media bar until you reach the 'Network' tab, now scroll up / down the list until you reach the 'Information Board', highlight this and press triangle. From the menu select 'Do not display' Press X to confirm this.

5) Disable Media Server functionality. Scroll to Settings, now scroll up / down to 'Network Settings' select Media Server connection. Once this has been done press triangle and change the option Disabled.

6) Delete all of the system's Internet cache. To do this scroll along the cross media bar until you reach the 'Network' tab, now scroll up / down the list until you reach the 'Internet Browser', highlight this and press X. Once you browser opens press the triangle button once, from the new menu highlight the 'Tools' option and press X. Scroll down the menu until you reach 'Delete Cookies' and press X. Confirm the files deletion. Repeat this for 'Delete Cache'.

7 ) Turn off the PS3 screen saver. Use the cross media bar to scroll to 'Settings', select 'Display Settings'. Now highlight 'Screensaver' and set this to 'Do not use'.

8 ) Once this has been done, manually restart you PS3 by holding down the power button for 5 seconds it will beep once and then shut down. Release the power button and re-press it and hold for about 5 seconds. The system will then boot and reset all display settings. You will be prompted to reset your display settings to how you require them.

9) Once restarted please try the game again, you will be prompted to reinstall.

Once the game has started please turn off the following features:

1) The game's auto-save. Press Start, Game, and locate the Auto-save option. Turn this off.

2) Turn off the game's flicker filter. Press Start, Display and locate the Flicker Filter option. Turn this off.

3) Turn off the controller vibration feature. Press Start, Controls and locate the vibration option. Turn this off.

If that doesn't solve the problem, Take-Two allows tech support users to reopen their cases within seven days."

Trund
  • Trund

I'm all of ach fo her

• Members

Posted 02 May 2008 - 11:01 AM

I didn't have any freezes the first two days, but then suddenly yesterday it froze on me four times in a row, even after re-installing the Game.

However, my PS3 was running vertically, I came to the idea to test it while running it flat,
and what a surprise, I played for 6 hours last night and it didn't even freeze once, even the "little" freezes during gameplay which I also came across yesterday were suddenly all gone.

I don't see this try in your list, so you might want to add it, at least it worked for me.

I have the launch 60GB PAL PS3 by the way.

porkflap
  • porkflap

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 02 May 2008 - 11:35 AM

i had a similar converstation with take two.... i have a 60gb launch ps3 (UK)

gta4 used to freeze within a hour of play

i disabled the ps3 screensaver and in-game a disabled vibration and auto save i then played it for about 3 hours with no problems then i turned it off as i had to go out!!!, i am going to see what it does this afternoon

on a slight tangent i have only got on multiplayer once normally it gives me the cant connect error on the mobile phone

devilhood
  • devilhood

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 02 May 2008 - 11:50 AM

I fixed my freeze issues by deleting the gamedata and disabling 720p mode on the PS3 Display Settings so that it upscales to 1080p.

Played it for 6 hours last night without a single crash biggrin.gif

f.y.i. My PS3 model is 40GB and my GTA IV copy is the Special Edition.

fishing4monkeys
  • fishing4monkeys

Soldier

• Members

Posted 02 May 2008 - 12:23 PM

QUOTE (Trund @ May 2 2008, 11:01)
I didn't have any freezes the first two days, but then suddenly yesterday it froze on me four times in a row, even after re-installing the Game.

However, my PS3 was running vertically, I came to the idea to test it while running it flat,
and what a surprise, I played for 6 hours last night and it didn't even freeze once, even the "little" freezes during gameplay which I also came across yesterday were suddenly all gone.

I don't see this try in your list, so you might want to add it, at least it worked for me.

I have the launch 60GB PAL PS3 by the way.

I know it's probably not the answer to all the problems people are having but imagine if it was tounge.gif

So many people are compleatly resetting their ps3s and then they realize "huh...rotating it 90 degrees fixes it"

I know that won't work for everyone but what if...? mercie_blink.gif haha

Not_Dan_Houser
  • Not_Dan_Houser

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 02 May 2008 - 01:41 PM

Why is everyone so happy to just delete the save game data?

I would be really angry if I had to delete 10 hours of gameplay, and go back to the beginning again with $0 and no weapons etc.

Surely deleting your saves is the LAST thing to try?

wolfgang187
  • wolfgang187

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 02 May 2008 - 02:17 PM

If you have the opening cutscene freeze none of these "tips" will work. The fact that they even suggested these things tells me that Rockstar is just grasping at straws and is clueless as to what the problem is or what the fix might be.

Cowman
  • Cowman

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 02 May 2008 - 03:01 PM

jesus. I get the feeling they are giving you so much that it will keep you distracted until they get a fix out. I dont want to disable half my PS3 though, i do have other games to play haha.

fishing4monkeys
  • fishing4monkeys

Soldier

• Members

Posted 02 May 2008 - 03:39 PM

QUOTE (Not_Dan_Houser @ May 2 2008, 13:41)
Why is everyone so happy to just delete the save game data?

I would be really angry if I had to delete 10 hours of gameplay, and go back to the beginning again with $0 and no weapons etc.

Surely deleting your saves is the LAST thing to try?

I'm sure people would rather have to start over then not be able to play at all...

Silent-Bob
  • Silent-Bob

Garageland

• Members

Posted 02 May 2008 - 06:37 PM

visigoth
  • visigoth

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 02 May 2008 - 10:59 PM

wolfgang i have same problem also

capnz
  • capnz

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 May 2008 - 01:03 AM

Er.. no thinks, I'll wait for a proper patch, besides I've only had 2 freezes in about 18 hours of play, hasn't froze since(about 2/3rds of that time) so I think I'll be fine until then.

evilrex
  • evilrex

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 03 May 2008 - 01:06 AM

lol, now if this sh*t happened on the 360 version, almost half the members here would be posting "OMFG LOLZ SHOULDA GOT A FUKING PS3 VERZION LOL"

Dorelliun
  • Dorelliun

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 May 2008 - 01:20 AM

Lame. 12 steps eh? Didn't work. Exchanged game and the second doesn't work either.

I'm majorly pissed, like many others. (PS3, 60 GB, Launch model)

spathis
  • spathis

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 03 May 2008 - 02:21 AM

i have a 40gig and it was stuck on some mission i fogot.

i was trying for 1 hour turning it on and off, vacuming the ps3 air vents incase it had dust i did a whole lot of things. then i did this

switched off the screen saver and disabled ps network and it works.

the only bad thing is that i have to start agian.

Jason07
  • Jason07

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 May 2008 - 06:28 AM

i was in the middle of playing it and my ps3 froze and wouldnt turn off so i had to switch it off at the back
then after that it wont read any dicks or games i had to send it to sony sad.gif

Tense
  • Tense

Mr Zucchini

• Members

Posted 03 May 2008 - 11:50 AM

I simply went into Network settings and disabled my internet connection. Seems to be working okay now.. Only downside is it makes playing online a little difficult..

scarface777
  • scarface777

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 03 May 2008 - 12:12 PM

it happened to me once, two days after i bought the game. i did the twelve steps....but i drew the line at the flicker filter....i mean now were talking toning down the appearance of the game.. cry.gif ..that's one of the reasons i love this game so much. but good thing i was only a few missions in. I wanted to restart it anyway now that i'm used to the game and all...anyway hopefully all is well...for now confused.gif

yoooin
  • yoooin

Snitch

• Members

Posted 03 May 2008 - 01:06 PM

whenever my game freezes on 360, i stare at the screen with rage, only for it to unfreeze 3 seconds later =]

b14z3
  • b14z3

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 May 2008 - 02:11 PM

was freezing like crazy last night and then it wouldn't load the Out of the Closet save at all, just sat there... disabled the internet and everything worked flawlessly

this morning I tried internet again and I can usually play a game or two but it will freeze eventually sad.gif

Aboogie1
  • Aboogie1

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 May 2008 - 03:12 PM

QUOTE (b14z3 @ May 3 2008, 14:11)
was freezing like crazy last night and then it wouldn't load the Out of the Closet save at all, just sat there... disabled the internet and everything worked flawlessly

this morning I tried internet again and I can usually play a game or two but it will freeze eventually sad.gif

meh to... it wouldnt load this mission at all... i had to turn ps3 off 5 times... immma try to disable the internet so that the freaken game stops freazin! its probably the socail club!!!

craze08
  • craze08

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway

• Members

Posted 03 May 2008 - 04:53 PM

QUOTE (Aboogie1 @ May 3 2008, 15:12)
QUOTE (b14z3 @ May 3 2008, 14:11)

meh to... it wouldnt load this mission at all... i had to turn ps3 off 5 times... immma try to disable the internet so that the freaken game stops freazin! its probably the socail club!!!

I think you may be right about it being Social Club. I forgot about linking my PSN to my social club and did it today (note that my game had been working fine before doing this) as soon as I turned on my PS3 and tried to load up GTA 4, guess what, didn't load. I tried turning it on and off loads of times but when I read that other people where having same problem I signed out of PSN and disabled internet + screensaver and it now works absolutely perfect.

wgs-uk
  • wgs-uk

MCFC

• Members

Posted 03 May 2008 - 04:57 PM

My just completely froze then angry.gif

ncc1701
  • ncc1701

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 04 May 2008 - 04:41 AM

mine just froze in the start menu while trying to change the settings in game. Great fix eh.

PS3 20gb Launch System

MYK [jamgi]
  • MYK [jamgi]

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 04 May 2008 - 04:48 AM

just got it yesterday played for 4 hours and no crash what-so-ever

i have a 20gb Jpn Ps3

JustAddWater
  • JustAddWater

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 04 May 2008 - 07:11 AM

i had it freeze on me earlier today while starting up. I quickly jumped on here and read that someone disabled PSN. Did that and played all day, no problems. Other then that not loading due to the PSN, I havent had any other hiccups. 60GB PS3 launch console.

miniman75
  • miniman75

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 04 May 2008 - 09:24 AM

angry.gif I played fine for 3 days off and online,then without warning the ruddy game froze on the loading screen, I spent the best part of 2 hours turning PS3 60gb on and off but with no luck.
By this time im getting very irate so i turned the stupid thing off and turned on my WII, and got bored quite quickly so i went on the internet for advice and found this site which was a good move because upon reading some tips i yanked my ethernet cable from the back of the PS3 turned it on, loaded GTAIV and guess what it started perfectly. Some 6 hours later i was happy with my progress but annoyed i couldnt play online with my mates.
Please sort this error quickly we all payed good money for this game only to find it flawed.
P.S. never had this sort of problem with resistance f.o.m.

Wightboy
  • Wightboy

Cooler than the other side of your pillow.

• BUSTED!

Posted 04 May 2008 - 09:38 AM

Old info

cbass562
  • cbass562

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 04 May 2008 - 09:51 AM

So here is what i did:
Delete all of the system's Internet cache. To do this scroll along the cross media bar until you reach the 'Network' tab, now scroll up / down the list until you reach the 'Internet Browser', highlight this and press X. Once you browser opens press the triangle button once, from the new menu highlight the 'Tools' option and press X. Scroll down the menu until you reach 'Delete Cookies' and press X. Confirm the files deletion. Repeat this for 'Delete Cache'.

Turn off the PS3 screen saver. Use the cross media bar to scroll to 'Settings', select 'Display Settings'. Now highlight 'Screensaver' and set this to 'Do not use'.

Once this has been done, manually restart you PS3 by holding down the power button for 5 seconds it will beep once and then shut down. Release the power button and re-press it and hold for about 5 seconds. The system will then boot and reset all display settings. You will be prompted to reset your display settings to how you require them.
And turn off the auto save in the game

and now it working fine.
I didn't delete anything or reinstall.

i got a ps3 60G.

hope it works for you.

by the way i didn't came up with the fix it myself just tried many things that were said in the forum.

have a nice one happy.gif

gilly11
  • gilly11

Snitch

• Members

Posted 04 May 2008 - 10:51 AM

I played gta for 14 hours all up, no freezes, over a period of about 3 days. Then my bro tried playing it on his user account, and it froze about 5 times all up. Very strange stuff. I havnt played in 3 days to test this as a lucky streak for me.

Hopefully you guys will get some support or at least a patch soon.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users