Photo

Profanity Filter

53 replies to this topic
Nickuz
  • Nickuz

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 30 April 2008 - 04:55 AM

Ok, I know it may be a little retarded, but I was wondering if there was some type of profanity filter? I dont mind the storyline swearing but I really dont feel like hearing F*** you and S*** every time I bump/nudge someone with my car or punch someone. Has anyone found something like this or is it just not there?

The Juggernaut
  • The Juggernaut

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 30 April 2008 - 04:57 AM

Probably not in the game. You could mute your TV smile.gif

Vertical Bird
  • Vertical Bird

Delightful teenage insight.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 30 April 2008 - 05:26 AM

QUOTE (Nickuz @ Apr 30 2008, 04:55)
Ok, I know it may be a little retarded, but I was wondering if there was some type of profanity filter? I dont mind the storyline swearing but I really dont feel like hearing F*** you and S*** every time I bump/nudge someone with my car or punch someone. Has anyone found something like this or is it just not there?

The German version of GTA:San Andreas has a sensor, lol. My cousin lives there, so he told me.

morsolo
  • morsolo

The Cake is a lie!!!

• Members

Posted 30 April 2008 - 05:31 AM

GTA without constant, frequent, common, everyday, violent swearing in not GTA smile.gif

Copilot
  • Copilot

• Members

Posted 30 April 2008 - 05:32 AM

If you are young enough for you mom to be getting mad you probably shouldn't be playing anyway.

hbiz
  • hbiz

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 30 April 2008 - 05:33 AM

You are abolutely correct. It is retarded. Not the right game for you.

lostcause1087
  • lostcause1087

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 30 April 2008 - 05:38 AM

yeah maybe you should try this game instead, bud. haha.

D3lta
  • D3lta

Snitch

• Members

Posted 30 April 2008 - 05:46 AM

It's rated M for Mature for a reason. You knew what you were getting yourself into. mercie_blink.gif

Jops
  • Jops

Thug

• Members

Posted 30 April 2008 - 05:50 AM

Whenever you feel some foul city style cussing is about to happen just close your eyes and say, "Jesus is lord," and all will be well icon14.gif

Jowpers
  • Jowpers

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 30 April 2008 - 05:57 AM

I think the original poster has a valid point. I personally cringe when I hear profanity and would like the game more without it. I realize it's a game about killing, but that doesn't mean we can't be civilized when we run and gun people down. colgate.gif

supernova_goes_pop
  • supernova_goes_pop

Rat

• Members

Posted 30 April 2008 - 05:58 AM

QUOTE (Jops @ Apr 30 2008, 00:50)
Whenever you feel some foul city style cussing is about to happen just close your eyes and say, "Jesus is lord," and all will be well icon14.gif

This was the best solution. OMFG!!! You are my hero for today. lol.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif

Zinspawn
  • Zinspawn

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 30 April 2008 - 06:20 AM

QUOTE (Copilot @ Apr 30 2008, 05:32)
If you are young enough for you mom to be getting mad you probably shouldn't be playing anyway.

I'm 19, my sister is 7. If my sister hears that stuff and she gets mad at me am I too young?

UnitedDestruction
  • UnitedDestruction

The Dude

• Members

Posted 30 April 2008 - 06:26 AM

QUOTE (Jowpers @ Apr 29 2008, 23:57)
I think the original poster has a valid point. I personally cringe when I hear profanity and would like the game more without it. I realize it's a game about killing, but that doesn't mean we can't be civilized when we run and gun people down. colgate.gif

...but that isn't GTA. Some people might not agree but I think dialogue contributes a lot to the feel of a game. GTA has a lot of insulting dialogue, and things like "crap" and "heck" and maybe even "doo-doo head" just won't really cut it lol. It's like asking for no guns in GTA because you are pro gun control, it just doesn't make any sense.

On a separate note, how do words like f*ck and sh*t affect you in a negative way more than killing people in different ways? (I get the "civilized killing" joke but seriously?)

Mad Tony
  • Mad Tony

Commisioner

• Members

Posted 30 April 2008 - 06:27 AM

QUOTE (UnitedDestruction @ Apr 29 2008, 23:26)
I think the original poster has a valid point. I personally cringe when I hear profanity and would like the game more without it. I realize it's a game about killing, but that doesn't mean we can't be civilized when we run and gun people down.  colgate.gif

...but that isn't GTA. Some people might not agree but I think dialogue contributes a lot to the feel of a game. GTA has a lot of insulting dialogue, and things like "crap" and "heck" and maybe even "doo-doo head" just won't really cut it lol. It's like asking for no guns in GTA because you are pro gun control, it just doesn't make any sense.

On a separate note, how do words like f*ck and sh*t affect you in a negative way more than killing people in different ways? (I get the "civilized killing" joke but seriously?)

I agree completely! icon14.gif

UnitedDestruction
  • UnitedDestruction

The Dude

• Members

Posted 30 April 2008 - 06:29 AM

QUOTE (Zinspawn @ Apr 30 2008, 00:20)

I'm 19, my sister is 7. If my sister hears that stuff and she gets mad at me am I too young?

No, she's too young. Why the hell are you letting your 7yr old sister watch that stuff knowing she gets mad about cuss words? Lol and the tables have turned

Zinspawn
  • Zinspawn

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 30 April 2008 - 06:30 AM

QUOTE (UnitedDestruction @ Apr 30 2008, 06:29)

No, she's too young. Why the hell are you letting your 7yr old sister watch that stuff knowing she gets mad about cuss words? Lol and the tables have turned

It's an open house. I can't stop my sister from just wandering in.
I meant my mum getting mad about me letting my sister hearing that. My sister wouldn't get mad at me.

UnitedDestruction
  • UnitedDestruction

The Dude

• Members

Posted 30 April 2008 - 07:24 AM

QUOTE (Zinspawn @ Apr 30 2008, 00:30)
QUOTE (UnitedDestruction @ Apr 30 2008, 06:29)

It's an open house. I can't stop my sister from just wandering in.
I meant my mum getting mad about me letting my sister hearing that. My sister wouldn't get mad at me.

lol my bad, just trying to get both sides in.

Maffoo
  • Maffoo

Cheesy Vaginas!

• Members

Posted 30 April 2008 - 07:26 AM

QUOTE (Zinspawn @ Apr 30 2008, 07:20)

Make her leave the room. She shouldn't watch the gunfights, car breakins etc anyway, so the swearing isn't just what you should avoid with her.

Copilot
  • Copilot

• Members

Posted 30 April 2008 - 07:30 AM

QUOTE (Zinspawn @ Apr 30 2008, 06:20)

How would a 7 year old even know swear words yet? And who cares if your sister gets mad at you... Tell her to go away.

GycuBrun
  • GycuBrun

Jeapany

• Members

Posted 30 April 2008 - 07:33 AM

Tell her to GTFO! sneaky2.gif

dlx
  • dlx

Homeboy

• Members

Posted 30 April 2008 - 08:17 AM

there ain't so much swearing... Niko apologizes a lot for running people over... he's a sweet guy, really.

Jowpers
  • Jowpers

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 30 April 2008 - 07:43 PM

QUOTE (UnitedDestruction @ Apr 30 2008, 06:26)
I think the original poster has a valid point. I personally cringe when I hear profanity and would like the game more without it. I realize it's a game about killing, but that doesn't mean we can't be civilized when we run and gun people down.  colgate.gif

Compare it to the early GTAs where there is very little swearing. I replayed VC recently and there was almost none. I don't object to occasional swearing, but the words lose their meaning if they are used all the time (which is something I don't think a lot of people get). The swearing in the dialogue would have more of an impact if it's used sparingly. I was raised not to swear... ever. To swear at someone, to tell them to FO, is an extreme insult. If you were to tell me to FO I don't suspect it would mean much to you. If I were to tell you to FO (which I would never do), it means I want you dead. I'm sure there's a few other people out there in a similar boat.

I'm 37 and I guess language means a little more to me. It annoys me that language has become more and more trivialized. Written language in particular is deteriorating; we'll no doubt revert to phonetics in a couple generations.

inveni0
  • inveni0

Man of the Hour

• Members

Posted 30 April 2008 - 07:46 PM

As I father, it's difficult for me to let my 3 year old hear these things, so I understand where the OP is coming from. In my house, we don't use swear words. My son knows what a 'bad word' is, and he definitely hears them on GTA. I don't mind the storyline swears, but the random traffic/ped cursing could be censored and I'd actually appreciate it.

Bruinfany2k
  • Bruinfany2k

American Bad Ass

• Members

Posted 30 April 2008 - 08:27 PM Edited by Bruinfany2k, 30 April 2008 - 08:29 PM.

QUOTE (Jowpers @ Apr 30 2008, 14:43)
Compare it to the early GTAs where there is very little swearing. I replayed VC recently and there was almost none. I don't object to occasional swearing, but the words lose their meaning if they are used all the time (which is something I don't think a lot of people get). The swearing in the dialogue would have more of an impact if it's used sparingly. I was raised not to swear... ever. To swear at someone, to tell them to FO, is an extreme insult. If you were to tell me to FO I don't suspect it would mean much to you. If I were to tell you to FO (which I would never do), it means I want you dead.  I'm sure there's a few other people out there in a similar boat.

I'm 37 and I guess language means a little more to me. It annoys me that language has become more and more trivialized. Written language in particular is deteriorating; we'll no doubt revert to phonetics in a couple generations.

You and I are on the same boat when it comes to the fact that swearing is fine, but if you swear to much it becomes irratating and downright pointless. I remember playing True Crime: New York and every time I beeped the horn the guy would say something with an explitive in it, and after awhile it got unbearable since some people that are playing this game can be civlized and still have fun with these types of games. I'm 22 and hardly swear unless I'm pissed or trying to enhance a joke or whatever the case may be.

jeramifrost
  • jeramifrost

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 30 April 2008 - 10:03 PM

stop being rude and bumping into people and they wont cuss all of the time.

Trigger90
  • Trigger90

GangStar

• Members

Posted 30 April 2008 - 10:06 PM

Beat her up
Before I do

Nickuz
  • Nickuz

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 30 April 2008 - 10:09 PM

I agree with a few previous posters just above me. Turn the filter on would simply be a choice like turning the blood off in Assassins Creed.

Sambo110
  • Sambo110

Rat

• Members

Posted 30 April 2008 - 10:10 PM

Well, I' old enough to play GTA IV, but I HATE swearing. But the swearing in the gameplay isn't that often to be a problem, just stop hitting people!!

nicka912
  • nicka912

GTAF Stoners

• Members

Posted 30 April 2008 - 10:13 PM

QUOTE (jeramifrost @ Apr 30 2008, 22:03)
stop being rude and bumping into people and they wont cuss all of the time.

haha golden

jesushumper
  • jesushumper

Prankster

• Members

Posted 30 April 2008 - 11:08 PM

Another reason to have a weapon.

Someone swears at you, fire off a shot.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users