GTA IV Frequently Asked Questions

125 replies to this topic
saintdave
  • saintdave

saintdave™

• Members
  • England

Posted 08 May 2008 - 12:12 AM

@ e.brock - Are you asking whether the guide has a random character map? Some of the random characters have missions for you to do, others are involved in just a cut scene but the most amount of missions you will get from one is 3.

@ Vice Princess - Ah ok. Well my post in regards to the compatibility was a guess as I have no grounds to base it on except how previous consoles were often region locked.

I do have an achievement list for the 360 which I will implement into a Q&A when I update the FAQ next and your right on the cab hail though you can still press L1 and Niko will still call and whistle but yes as you say if it’s stopped you can pull out the passenger and take the ride yourself.

Updated

2 more questions added and previous answers edited now more information has been made available.

HeilBush
  • HeilBush

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 May 2008 - 05:15 AM

I've got a question, but feel free to use spoiler tags to answer it if you need to. I just finished the game. Now just who the hell is Lola Del Rio? She's on the loading screen with that red lollipop, she shows up on the police website database (without a picture), but I've never actually seen or interacted with her anywhere. Did I miss something?

gta4rocks
  • gta4rocks

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 May 2008 - 09:51 AM

do you know what the reward is for hunting all the criminals down using the police computer?

Sockeh
  • Sockeh

Rat

• Members

Posted 08 May 2008 - 10:03 AM

You said in one question there is a possible 22 random characters to meet, then in another you said 14. You gotta fix that up. smile.gif

saintdave
  • saintdave

saintdave™

• Members
  • England

Posted 08 May 2008 - 12:22 PM

@ HeilBush - Many believe they have seen her in game on the streets, personally I don’t think she is in the game in person. So far there is nothing concrete to back either theory.

@ gta4rocks - Are you referring to the vigilante or most wanted? Either way you get no immediate reward, completing both just counts towards reaching 100%.

@ Sockeh - Yeah thanks for pointing that out mate. It’s been amended wink.gif

Hove_Beach
  • Hove_Beach

Snitch

• Members

Posted 09 May 2008 - 10:15 AM

QUOTE (ThePinkFloydSound @ May 1 2008, 17:29)
Hi Saintdave,

Good topic. Just regarding the purpose of ATMs. Well as you probably noticed that pressing down on the d-pad (xbox) it brings up the amount of cash you have. The ATMs are quite pointless. Just thought you may want to add that.

Keep up the good work! icon14.gif

Not pointless the ATM's are part of the realism -

rampage_ani.gif plus u can rob people after they have withdrawn money from them rampage_ani.gif

"its the little unseen things in this gta that make it so sweet"

Paudge
  • Paudge

...Return of the Paudge...

• Members

Posted 10 May 2008 - 11:29 AM

Hi! Can you drown in IV? Is there a stamina bar like VCS ingame?

saintdave
  • saintdave

saintdave™

• Members
  • England

Posted 10 May 2008 - 11:33 AM

@ Paudge - You can drown if you drive your vehicle into the water and remain in it, doing this will cause your health bar to lower the longer you stay in it. There isn’t a stamina bar though.

manana500
  • manana500

Mark Chump

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 May 2008 - 04:55 PM Edited by JJCribbins, 10 May 2008 - 04:58 PM.

Great topic! cookie.gif

But you really need to add the following:

Q: "What's the greatest piece of music in the game?"
A: "Jean Michel Jarre's 'Oxygene, Part 4' is by far the greatest piece of music in the game!"

OK, so that's just my opinion. lol.gif But seriously, for those amongst us who know of this musical legend, you'll agree with me that this particular track (like so many others of his) is just fan-f*cking-tastic! And so on that note, a message to R*: kudos on adding this fine piece of music! icon14.gif I'm really impressed, what with so many people saying that the term 'French music' is an oxymoron, haha!

EDIT: For those of you interested in this, check out the track here:

I see that some of the comments mention using ZIT to find "this great piece of music", so maybe it'll be of use.

SevenII
  • SevenII

Joker Toker

• Members

Posted 10 May 2008 - 10:20 PM

I am way over taking all these 'friends' out on the town, coz all i want to do is my own sh*t! NOT just drop LJ off to have Roman the needy little prick call me up and wanna go out, finish with him and then have someone else will be up for their little Niko 'love session'!
I know that you can turn the phone on silent mode and my questions are; 1. When you go to turn the phone over to silent it says something along the lines of, 'changing this may affect mission progress', how much will it affect?
2. Can i kill these guys and just have Niko running around free of the pestering? or is the mobile the only possibility of getting rid of these fanbois?
Rockstar said they didn't want this to be a RPG, so much as the last one but they left in one of the sh*tIEST features!
I already have an annoying real life G/F, i didn't need 5-6 more cpu bitches to take care of and basically be at the whim of! icon13.gif

Paudge
  • Paudge

...Return of the Paudge...

• Members

Posted 11 May 2008 - 12:59 AM

QUOTE (saintdave @ May 10 2008, 11:33)
@ Paudge - You can drown if you drive your vehicle into the water and remain in it, doing this will cause your health bar to lower the longer you stay in it. There isn’t a stamina bar though.

Sorry again but say if your marquis was on fire and you bailed out into the River, wud it be possible to swim from Alderney to Algonquin without drowning?

Thanks Dave!

Sevzor
  • Sevzor

GTA Addiction Level = No Life

• Members

Posted 11 May 2008 - 07:56 AM

Add these if you want:

Where do I drive a car I found for Stevie?

Where are the Helicopter tours?

How do I get friends special abilities?

How do I buy new stuff for my mobile?

Where can I buy hats/glasses?

---

I trust you know the answers to these Dave.

Sevzor
  • Sevzor

GTA Addiction Level = No Life

• Members

Posted 11 May 2008 - 08:03 AM

QUOTE (SevenII @ May 10 2008, 22:20)
I am way over taking all these 'friends' out on the town, coz all i want to do is my own sh*t! NOT just drop LJ off to have Roman the needy little prick call me up and wanna go out, finish with him and then have someone else will be up for their little Niko 'love session'!
I know that you can turn the phone on silent mode and my questions are; 1. When you go to turn the phone over to silent it says something along the lines of, 'changing this may affect mission progress', how much will it affect?
2. Can i kill these guys and just have Niko running around free of the pestering? or is the mobile the only possibility of getting rid of these fanbois?
Rockstar said they didn't want this to be a RPG, so much as the last one but they left in one of the sh*tIEST features!
I already have an annoying real life G/F, i didn't need 5-6 more cpu bitches to take care of and basically be at the whim of! icon13.gif

1. I think it will affect any progress you didn't save. So if you turn your phone on silent just after a race for example, the next time you go back into the story mode you would have to do that same race again. So I suggest you save the game then turn it on silent.

2. You can't kill side characters. I think there is actually a glitch where you can kill LJ though. But the silent phone option I think would be better. In case you want to go back and play some more story mode.

[email protected] real life G/F, unlucky.

saintdave
  • saintdave

saintdave™

• Members
  • England

Posted 11 May 2008 - 08:19 AM

@ JJCribbins - I cant put that in because it’s opinionated, this topic is for fact.

@ SevenII - I think the silent option warning is just that. If you chose to use that you may miss important calls. I agree though the characters can be annoying when you don’t want to do activities with them, personally if they call me I answer and then hang up immediately. Skips the conversation and you can get back to what you were doing.

@ Paudge - Yes it is. There doesn’t seem to be a limit of how far and/or long you can swim for. Tapping X makes him go faster but this seems to slow down as he tires or with the more you use it.

@ Sevzor - Thanks for the input of the new questions, I do indeed know the answers and am adding it to my edit of the topic now. Please don’t double post though mate, just edit your previous post with the new information you want to add wink.gif

Updated

5 new questions (as suggested by Sevzor)

SevenII
  • SevenII

Joker Toker

• Members

Posted 11 May 2008 - 10:03 AM

Thanks people, i was thinking that was about all that was possible too. icon14.gif

rogan2442
  • rogan2442

High Roller

• Members

Posted 12 May 2008 - 12:03 PM

just got one question dave.

do you know of any DLC for the PS3. i know that microsoft got the 360 exclusive content, but surely after they have released the DLC for the 360 they can release something for the PS3? i mean sure give them the content first so they got what they paid for but then give it to the PS3 a few months on? what u reckon?

Gouveia
  • Gouveia

#YardOn

• The Yardies
  • Brazil

Posted 12 May 2008 - 07:38 PM

Hmm... Could you please post what are the commands? I'd really love to see them in the FAQ (Come on, every faq has it!)

manana500
  • manana500

Mark Chump

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 May 2008 - 07:47 AM

QUOTE (saintdave)
@ JJCribbins - I cant put that in because it’s opinionated, this topic is for fact.

Darnit! tounge2.gif Ah well, it was worth a try. Plus, I'm sure you'll agree that whilst it may not necessarily be the best piece of music in the game, it is nonetheless a good one. But I appreciate we've gotta be factual here.

saintdave
  • saintdave

saintdave™

• Members
  • England

Posted 13 May 2008 - 09:28 AM

@ rogan2442 - Like yourself I believe there will be some sort of DLC for the PS3, yes Microsoft paid all this money for it in the first place but Rockstar knows they cant afford to alienate the PS3 owners by not giving them anything. I would guess we wont get anything till the summer though (at the earliest).

@ VinnyGouveia - Sorry mate but what do you mean by commands? If I know what they are and if I think they would benefit the FAQ I’d be happy to add them.

@ JJCribbins - No doubt, some have criticized the soundtrack for GTA 4, personally I think there is so much variety for people of all musical tastes that you cant really complain about it.

manana500
  • manana500

Mark Chump

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 May 2008 - 11:57 AM

@ saintdave: Aye. I couldn't agree more - from what I've heard, it's a very impressive soundtrack. I'd say that it's just as good as the soundtrack was in Vice City; muchos impressive!

Anywho, back on-topic: do you suppose the FAQ could dispel some of the myths out there? For instance, just in the same way that people forever went on a hunt for Big Foot or ManBearPig* in San Andreas, I've heard rumours of the Bohan Grizzly Bear and I even recall reading somewhere about a three-legged person featuring in the game. Anywho, dispelling these myths can only be a good thing really I s'pose, although some people do like to keep 'em alive for the "but what if...?" thrill-factor.

* Actually, I think I may have inadvertently started that one. lol.gif

Raptomex
  • Raptomex

Listen to Slayer

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 13 May 2008 - 02:22 PM

Does the annihilator fire rockets?
No

When getting 100% what happens?
Nothing really. You can buy an unlimited amount of ammo. But you do not get infinite ammo. It resets to the maximum limit if you load the game again.

tom_p1980
  • tom_p1980

Semi-Retired Forum Junkie

• Members
  • England

Posted 13 May 2008 - 03:02 PM

Sentinel XS: where is the best place to get it, and does it respawn in a particular spot or just random?

Raptomex
  • Raptomex

Listen to Slayer

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 13 May 2008 - 03:27 PM

QUOTE (tom_p1980 @ May 13 2008, 11:02)
Sentinel XS: where is the best place to get it, and does it respawn in a particular spot or just random?

I don't think there is but I'll have to double check. There's a Sultan RS in Alderney.

Gouveia
  • Gouveia

#YardOn

• The Yardies
  • Brazil

Posted 13 May 2008 - 05:17 PM

@saintdave: What I meant by "commands" was the controls of the game(wich button does what).

I said it wrongly, because we say "comandos" instead of controls, and "controles" are joysticks, so sorry for the mess up icon14.gif

Stash666
  • Stash666

Male Prostitute

• Members

Posted 22 May 2008 - 09:23 PM

There are 3 GF's (Kiki, Carmen, Alex) that have special abilities. What time are each of them usually home and what are their favorite places to go?

saintdave
  • saintdave

saintdave™

• Members
  • England

Posted 22 May 2008 - 09:34 PM

Instead of me answering the girlfriend questions directly I will give you this link to meth's excellent Friends & Girlfriends guide.

LondonCasual
  • LondonCasual

Casual Army

• Members

Posted 22 May 2008 - 10:04 PM

Is it true you may unlock Pegorino's mansion? If so, how?

saintdave
  • saintdave

saintdave™

• Members
  • England

Posted 23 May 2008 - 08:48 AM

@ JJCribbins - The myths are just that, fiction. There are no grizzly bears, no 3-legged person and no Bigfoot.

@ Raptomex - Thanks for the additional questions there. They are being added to my next edit/update.

@ VinnyGouveia - Oh I see. Well I do have the comparison button control table on the first page (as provided by Seddo) so people can compare buttons as I post this in PS3 format. We did have those leaked scans of the controls prior to the games released and they were removed for obvious reasons, so I’m not sure if it would be ok to post them now.

@ London Casual - It’s untrue. The only thing you can do there is enter/exit his garage. Some have stored vehicles there but its save capacity is very limited with it holding them only whilst you are in that area and whilst that game is loaded.

Updated

Added Raptomex’s questions as well as a few of my own that still get asked/posted a lot so hopefully this will cut down such topics.

manana500
  • manana500

Mark Chump

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 May 2008 - 02:07 PM

Oh, I just thought of something else to add:

Can we listen to our own MP3s in-game?

I'm actually kinda miffed why R* didn't offer that option, but that's trivial. (I s'pose if you want your own music then you can just put iTunes on or whatever you people use.)

ViceCity>LibertyCity
  • ViceCity>LibertyCity

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 24 May 2008 - 02:05 AM Edited by ViceCity>LibertyCity, 24 May 2008 - 03:26 AM.

I have a question.......Same as above question

I know in Vice City that you could use songs uploaded on your hard drive as "Tape Decks"

How do I do that in GTA IV?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users