» «
Photo

GTA 4 FAQ

124 replies to this topic
saintdave
  • saintdave

saintdave™

• Members

Posted 29 April 2008 - 10:54 PM Edited by saintdave, 23 May 2008 - 08:47 AM.

Grand Theft Auto 4
FAQ

Taking inspiration from the excellent FAQ guide to LCS by Brown Streak RR and various other helpful topics over the forums this topic is to here for a number of reasons. To reduce topics of the same subject and to help members find simple answers to simple questions fast. It will be updated as and when new topics arise in numbers but will always contain the same basic information to help gamers get started.

*Be warned some of the answers may contain minor spoilers*

Contents

• How do I hail a cab/taxi?
• Where do I store my vehicle/ride?
• How do I pick up hookers?
• Driving controls are new and different, any tips?
• Can you customise your vehicle?
• Are features from SA such as tattoos, gyms, barbers, etc in the game?
• Can you rob stores/shops?
• How do you turn off/on the radio?
• How do I dial numbers freely on the mobile phone?
• What do ATM’s do?
• Can you swim?
• How do you aim at other body parts whilst locked onto a target?
• What objects do you can pick up?
• Do you need to throw these objects, can you not use them to beat someone with up close?
• What will DLC include?
• How do I access a police in-car computer? Is this unlocked after a certain mission?
• How many girls can you date?
• When do I get a better mobile phone?
• What are flying rats?
• How many random characters are there?
• What's the achievement list?
• Where do I drive a car I found for Stevie?
• Where are the Helicopter tours?
• How do I get friends special abilities?
• How do I buy new stuff for my mobile?
• Where can I buy hats/glasses?
• Does the Annihilator fire rockets?
• When getting 100% what happens?
• Where can I get the fingerless gloves?
• How many clothes stores are there?

There are two versions of the game available (so far). I have typed the main text in terms of use on the PS3 however thanks to Seddo I have a corresponding table showing which controls do what for the 360 version so you can compare.

PS3 360
XA
CircleB
SquareX
TriangleY
L1LB
L2LT
R1RB
R2RT

How do I hail a cab/taxi?
During an early tutorial mission your instructed how to use a taxi. For those that have forgotten, you must be near or approach a taxi (empty as in no passengers) and press L1. If successful Niko will whistle and call for the taxi. To enter press and hold the triangle button. Additionally if a taxi already has a passenger you can still use that ride, when it's stopped press and hold triangle, this time Niko will pull out the passenger and be able to go where he wants.

Where do I store my vehicle/ride?
Being early in the game myself I have yet to see garages at safe/save houses. Instead the new feature in GTA 4 sees you parking the chosen vehicle within a yellow marked box/parking area outside your place. Whilst there it will be saved safely until you re-load and/or use the vehicle.

How do I pick up hookers?
You need to pull up beside them (with them near your driver side door) they will then respond (to a sound of the horn) and get into the vehicle. Drive them to a secluded area and chose from 3 "services" to satisfy Nikos' needs!

Driving controls are new and different, any tips?
Yes they are different but luckily a lot of the start mission involve you driving a lot so you can get used it during then. L2 reverses/brakes, R2 accelerates, R1 is the handbrake and X is what the game calls an "alternative handbrake". Remember you don’t need to accelerate on corners, instead let the momentum take you. As you get accustomed to the controls you will be able to go faster and feel more confident with it.

Can you customise your vehicle?
As mentioned I'm still fairly new to the game, however I know there isn’t the level of customisation to vehicles as there was in SA. Pay N Sprays are used to alter the colour of the car and will only allow you to lose wanted stars if the cops don’t see you enter. Car washes are simply for aesthetics and will clean the dirt and grime from the car.

Are features from SA such as tattoos, gyms, barbers, etc in the game?
Tattoos, gyms and barbers are a no. Shopping for clothes is in (at a easier and quicker rate) as well as the ability to date.

Can you rob stores/shops?
When near the till in the store press L1 and Niko will open the till and take whatever money is inside. The shopkeeper will run off but the alarm will give you a wanted level.

How do you turn off/on the radio?
Pressing and holding the left or right directional buttons turns it off. Pressing either left or right will turn it on again, the same will allow you to scroll through the list until you have found the desired station.

How do I dial numbers freely on the mobile phone?
Press up to bring up the immediate phone display then up again to bring up the dial pad. Note not all numbers work.

What do ATM’s do?
The purpose of them is to display the current amount of money the player has. It's only briefly shown on the HUD when you re-load or have just been given some for doing a mission. Pedestrians will use the ATM's though. As an alternative the player can check his cash total at anytime by pressing down on the directional pad.

Can you swim?
Yes you can but you can't dive. You can paddle at a normal speed and by pressing X go faster.

How do you aim at other body parts whilst locked onto a target?
Whilst locked on (L2) use the left analogue stick to move up and down on the target, when you find the area you want to shoot press fire (R2).

What objects do you can pick up ?
It's restricted to small objects such as brick and bottles, other members have mentioned others but you find out which can be used during the course of the game.

Do you need to throw these objects, can you not use them to beat someone with up close?
They can only be thrown, you must be relatively close to the target or you will miss.

What will DLC include?
The only people that know are Rockstar, some are guessing weapons others new missions. We shall soon see.

How do I access a police in-car computer? Is this unlocked after a certain mission?
Enter a cop car and press L1, the car must be parked and not moving for it to work. You can do this as soon as you find a cop car but the database is used in a later mission.

How many girls can you date?
There are 5 in total you can date, 2 through meeting in the main storyline, 2 from love-meet and 1 from craplist. The 3 online girls are the only ones you get rewards for when reaching at least a 60% "like stat".

When do I get a better mobile phone?
During the mission Photo Shoot. It's a mission for Playboy X and during the opening cut scene he will give you a better phone.

What are flying rats?
AKA pigeons are the new hidden packages (for this GTA). There are 200 scattered over Liberty City each are stationary, make a noise and have a distinct orange glow around the area they are perched. Shooting all 200 rewards the player with an Annihilator helicopter.

How many random characters are there?
There is a possible 14 characters to meet, however 3 of them are met during storyline missions and you must decide then whether to kill or spare them. Doing the latter will put them into this category and you can receive missions from them. The most a random character will give you is 3.

What's the achievement list?
The list is for 360 users only in which the gamer can complete 50 possible tasks. There are 6 categories. This list is not in the PS3 version of the game.

Where do I drive a car I found for Stevie?
In south Bohan near to your save/safe house is a garage icon, Stevie's vehicles are to be delivered here.

Where are the Helicopter tours?
There is a landing pad with multiple Mavericks stationed in the south-east of Algonquin, here you can steal a helicopter or take the tour.

How do I get friends special abilities?
You need to get their "like" factor to a certain level, these all differ dependant on the character. To raise the "like" factor you must (in addition to missions) arrange social activities with these characters.

How do I buy new stuff for my mobile?
On the in-game internet is a mobile phone website in which you can customize your phone with ring tones, themes and other mobile related stuff. The things advertised there are not free though with themes alone setting you back $100 each.

Where can I buy hats/glasses?
The Russian clothing store is the only place you can buy both head clothing accessories.

Does the Annihilator fire rockets?
No it doesn't. It has a machine gun turret only, the same applies for the one you get for collecting all 200 pigeons.

When getting 100% what happens?
You can buy an unlimited amount of ammo. But you do not get infinite ammo. It resets to the maximum limit if you load the game again.

Where can I get the fingerless gloves?
They are not in the game. Yes they were in screenshots and artwork prior to the games release but they must be considered BETA photos and for whatever reason Rockstar removed them completly from the game.

How many clothes stores are there?
There are a total of 4 in the game. The Russian clothing store in Broker, 2 Perseus in Algonquin and a Modo also in Algonquin.

Guth
  • Guth

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 29 April 2008 - 10:55 PM

thank you for this much needed topic!

The Kirbster
  • The Kirbster

Dragon

• Members

Posted 29 April 2008 - 10:57 PM

Nice job. cookie.gif

saintdave
  • saintdave

saintdave™

• Members

Posted 30 April 2008 - 08:26 AM

Glad you like it icon14.gif

Updated with 4 extra questions -

• How do I dial numbers freely on the mobile phone?

• What do ATM’s do?

• Can you swim?

• How do you aim at other body parts whilst locked onto a target?

francis_mcreary
  • francis_mcreary

real gta IV fan

• Members

Posted 30 April 2008 - 10:35 AM

what objects do you can pick up ? bricks have been mentioned and bottles to nothing else ???
do you need to throw these objects can you not use them to eat someone with up close?
what will dlc include of new weapons ??

Seddo
  • Seddo

YNWA

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 30 April 2008 - 10:46 AM

Great work so far Dave, although it might be best to add the 360 controls instead of the just the PS3 controls in your answers to stop some members who could be confused.

Coranub
  • Coranub

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 30 April 2008 - 11:11 AM

how do i access a police in-car computer? is this un locked after a certain mission?

saintdave
  • saintdave

saintdave™

• Members

Posted 30 April 2008 - 11:18 AM

Thanks Liam (Seddo) I know you now have the 360 version so if you wouldnt mind could you provide details on controls for that console and I will add to the first post.

The questions asked will be added/answered too.

KBoomer
  • KBoomer

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 30 April 2008 - 02:53 PM

How do you create a custom radio station? (Even if the answer is no, sod off).

Over The Wall
  • Over The Wall

Pumping Propaganda since 04

• The Connection

Posted 01 May 2008 - 03:25 PM

On the ATM question it might be worth noting that pressing down on the D-Pad at any time displays your money.

gamefreak78
  • gamefreak78

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 01 May 2008 - 03:42 PM

is any1 else having trouble with zit, i tagged 2 songs the other day, and they have yet to show up on the RSC wbsite

saintdave
  • saintdave

saintdave™

• Members

Posted 01 May 2008 - 03:46 PM

@ Kboomer - I’m not sure mate as I have a PS3 which you cant make custom tracks for.

@ OTW - Thanks for the input mate, I’ll be sure to edit the ATM information on the next edit.

@ gamefreak78 - Have you paired your RSC account with your 360 or PS3?

gamefreak78
  • gamefreak78

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 01 May 2008 - 03:55 PM

yea but i linked it yesterday, and i tagged the songs monday night, so maybe thats y it didnt show up

saintdave
  • saintdave

saintdave™

• Members

Posted 01 May 2008 - 03:56 PM

I would suspect that is probably it, if not you may have to contact them personally but fingers crossed it works now or by tomorrow at the latest.

gamefreak78
  • gamefreak78

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 01 May 2008 - 04:07 PM Edited by gamefreak78, 01 May 2008 - 04:11 PM.

sorry need more help, earlier i saw my id tag on the webxsite now its gone , i even tried relinking, any1 else having this trouble

sry justa slight problem i can see my user name now, still no zit though

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Sax & Violins

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 01 May 2008 - 05:29 PM

Hi Saintdave,

Good topic. Just regarding the purpose of ATMs. Well as you probably noticed that pressing down on the d-pad (xbox) it brings up the amount of cash you have. The ATMs are quite pointless. Just thought you may want to add that.

Keep up the good work! icon14.gif

VinnyGouveia
  • VinnyGouveia

Back to Los Santos

• Members

Posted 01 May 2008 - 06:15 PM

Kudos. You're doing a very good job to answer all these questions in the IVrums.

You deserve to be a led-by of these biggrin.gif

saintdave
  • saintdave

saintdave™

• Members

Posted 03 May 2008 - 10:39 AM

@ ThePinkFloydSound - Thanks for the input, I will add that to the ATM section as many still think or confuse it for being similar to the Scarface game where you could deposit money at the bank.

@ VinnyGouveia - Cheers pal, I appreciate the kind words.

Update

I have now added and edited a few things -

• I found a random person on the street, who is he/she?
• How many girls can you date?
• When do I get a better mobile phone?
• What are flying rats?

kevinm07
  • kevinm07

Grand Theft Auto: Dublin

• Members

Posted 03 May 2008 - 03:09 PM

QUOTE (saintdave @ Apr 29 2008, 22:54)
Can you rob stores/shops?
There are varied responses to this on the internet so far. I have yet to try it myself, though with the target system and the ability to draw your weapon at almost every opportunity you would think there would be some level of surrender. When you aim at regular pedestrians they raise their hands for a few seconds before making a run for it.

You can..I tried it in a clothes shop, go over to the cash register and press L1 and you rob the money which sets off the alarm and give you a wanted level.

saintdave
  • saintdave

saintdave™

• Members

Posted 04 May 2008 - 02:09 PM

@ kevinm07 - I had to try it before I edited, not that I doubted you but I thought it would be best to confirm and you are right. Thanks for that, information edited.

Irrati0nal
  • Irrati0nal

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 04 May 2008 - 02:16 PM

I propose this as a sticky, moderators/admins icon14.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif

Damo.
  • Damo.

Gangsta

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 04 May 2008 - 02:18 PM

Do you have any idea how you give money to tramps?

I saw it in the stats but don't know how to do it.

saintdave
  • saintdave

saintdave™

• Members

Posted 04 May 2008 - 02:21 PM

I do and thanks for reminding me!

When near one you'll get the little message prompt (top left hand of the screen) which says press L1 to give the tramp money. At this point Niko drops a wad of cash on the floor.

Damo.
  • Damo.

Gangsta

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 04 May 2008 - 02:26 PM

I assumed as much, but I can't seem to find any to give money to. I've given money to buskers, but they don't count because the stat didn't change. confused.gif

mattymcs
  • mattymcs

For sho'

• Members

Posted 04 May 2008 - 02:28 PM

Well done Saint Dave, this treally deserves a pin, which I'm sure it will get in time.

holla4adolla
  • holla4adolla

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 May 2008 - 04:15 PM

hi! anyone know if it is possible to play a gta IV game purchased in the us on a European ps3 console?

GTAmasterIsmael
  • GTAmasterIsmael

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 May 2008 - 04:34 PM

Just a question there who is the third online date I have 2 from love-meet but what is the other site? I didn't know there was another dating site. thanks

saintdave
  • saintdave

saintdave™

• Members

Posted 07 May 2008 - 04:54 PM

@ holla4adolla - I don’t believe so. There are still region locked games so I doubt it would work on that console.

@ GTAmasterIsmael - The third girl you can date online is called Alexandra and you meet her on the website Craplist. It isn’t a dating website, more like a one where people can contact others for general interaction.

e.brock
  • e.brock

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 May 2008 - 06:22 PM

Does the pervert map list all the random characters that aren't in the guide or is everyone that the map lists in the guide as well? and does each "pervert" have there own side mission for you to do?

Vice Princess
  • Vice Princess

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 07 May 2008 - 10:12 PM

QUOTE (saintdave @ May 7 2008, 16:54)
@ holla4adolla - I don’t believe so. There are still region locked games so I doubt it would work on that console.

I think it should work fine, I have a Japanese PS3 I bought in New York (or should that be Liberty City?) and all games I have bought over here and in the States work great on it - I thought all PS3 games were region free?

Great job Dave, could you maybe add something about the achievements and the differences between PS3 and Xbox? I spent 20 minutes flying around trying to get the One Man Army on 6 star wanted level, only to realise it was Xbox only (but then again, I am blonde)...

Oh, and you can hail a cab even if there is a passenger inside - don't press L1, just walk up to the cab holding down triangle, once you get in the other passenger will get out.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users