Quantcast

» «
Photo

Did GTA IV live up to your expectations?

51 replies to this topic
FlauM
  • FlauM

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 29 April 2008 - 06:00 PM

Hell yeah! I love getting in a hunter sport (IRL a range rover sport) and bombing it around the streets wow.gif

Although, the first few hours of play I was like "Hmmm" because everything was different in some aspect, but now I'm used to it.

Well worth the wait.

Jonny2410
  • Jonny2410

Playa

• Members

Posted 29 April 2008 - 06:04 PM

I think it has to a certain extent... its a really good game but to me it does not feel like a gta at all.
It feels like a great game but not gta. If theres anything i don't like then i would have to say:

Controls are annoying - extremely annoying/hard to change weapons while moving
How slow niko moves and heavy he feels - this is just my personal preference though
Perhaps car handling - thats also a bitch.

I love the graphics though and some of the new features -
I really like the phone and its functions
SO far great, compelling storyline
The city is a masterpiece - so real.

Overall though i think the game truly is a wonder and the city is fantastic but i just feel the fun factor has been depleted since SA and it doesn't feel like a GTA game, and in particular the controls i hate. But hey i still love it

p-s-wii
  • p-s-wii

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 29 April 2008 - 06:15 PM

good game not as good as i thought it would be tho sad.gif i would give it 9.1/10 not 10/10

Revak
  • Revak

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 29 April 2008 - 06:18 PM

No doubt, Ive only played up to the part where you have to turn on subtitles and get your first gun but I'm loving it so far.

TheBigYin
  • TheBigYin

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 29 April 2008 - 06:43 PM

No

Its over-hyped sh*t built on the strength of a franchise and nothing more.

"Official" review mean nothing - they are all paid.

Gueu
  • Gueu

GTA IV LOVER

• Members

Posted 29 April 2008 - 06:47 PM

QUOTE (Fidelitas @ Apr 29 2008, 16:42)
Did it live up to the hype? Do you think it is worthy of the perfect score it has been getting?

HELL YEAH!!! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Johnny Burbank
  • Johnny Burbank

Hustler

• Members

Posted 29 April 2008 - 06:54 PM Edited by Johnny Burbank, 29 April 2008 - 06:57 PM.

QUOTE (TheBigYin @ Apr 29 2008, 18:43)

"Official" review mean nothing - they are all paid.

I think I agree. This is not a 10 game. But neither was Halo 3.

This is a very good game, but it is not the best GTA of the bunch; I guess that's a good way to put it. I think it's a notch above GTA3 but a notch or two below VC and SA.

The cell phone is a pain in the ass. I wish I could turn it off. I prefer the old mission structures w/o the cell.

Plus, the radio DJs and the style of music is the same as it's always been. It's the same semi-cool GTA sounds. The jokes on the radio are not as good and are a lot more crude and stupid than before. They need some fresh ideas and art direction think; this franchise is feeling a little dated and forced.

And if this is supposed to be an oscar-caliber script, then I'm Mel Gibson. It's the same stupid GTA dialogue as we have always heard, and so why are the reviewers hyping it up like it's something more than it is?

I think they are just getting older, as are the guys at R*, and are trying to justify the fact that they are in a kids business but want to be artists or great journalists or something.

Maybe next time R*.

But maybe I am wrong and have to give it more time. The main problem for me at this point is that the scenery has a "been there done that" feeling about it.

DanC1989
  • DanC1989

Playing GTA religiously since 2002

• Members

Posted 29 April 2008 - 07:00 PM

I'm not sure...I'm still getting used to it all. (not overwhelmed so far)

gtamodder
  • gtamodder

• Members

Posted 29 April 2008 - 07:14 PM

Yes, it did.

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 29 April 2008 - 07:17 PM

It certainly did. Some of the missions are very similar to ones from past GTA's, but with the enhanced living, breathing liberty city they have much more style.

rebuyboy
  • rebuyboy

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 29 April 2008 - 07:21 PM

if you think a perfect score means a perfect game than you are in idiot.

even in the IGN game they said that their perfect score didn't mean this game was perfect.

when giving score they can't really give it an absolute score; all scores are relative to each other, and since this is the best game in a while and for a while and no game will be better, giving it a 10 is reasonable.

splat7890
  • splat7890

EA Hater

• Members

Posted 29 April 2008 - 07:24 PM

very pleased, lived up to mine biggrin.gif

gta4life2008
  • gta4life2008

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 29 April 2008 - 08:46 PM

YEAH IT DID I LOVE IT, THE BEST GTA YET I THINK

tinman187
  • tinman187

DoUgHbOi

• Members

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:12 AM

Hmmmmmm...

It's 14th of May, 2013, just over 5 years since the release of IV, and I can honestly say yes. Sure I said yes before (on Page 1), but having just completed IV again for like the 10th time, I can say IV lived up to my expectations. To this day, the "three leaf clover" mission is still talked about and it has been the inspiration for the upcoming GTA V. I still play in the multiplayer sessions to this day and still have fun playing cops and crooks. This game, is the reason I brought an Xbox 360 in the first place. GTA IV was and still is f*cking awesome. cool.gif cool.gif cool.gif cool.gif

BabeRuth
  • BabeRuth

Bronx Bombers Stadium

• Members

Posted 14 May 2013 - 05:02 PM

Apart from the ending, the game was nice, graphics, game play, story, etc...

I had hoped that the ending would either match up to SA'S, VC'S or surpass it. IMO

RipGore
  • RipGore

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 14 May 2013 - 05:22 PM

I free roamed in single player A LOT. But then mutliplayer deathmatch got into me and I played it every time for competition. I know GTA isn't a deathmatch game but it has grown on me. I know a lot, such as shooting mechanics, scoring system, movement, etc has to improved, and I hope GTA V will impress me deathmatch-wise.

Official General
  • Official General

You gotta always carry heat in these Vice City streets

• Members

Posted 14 May 2013 - 06:05 PM Edited by Official General, 14 May 2013 - 06:11 PM.

Yes and no.

GTA IV was definitely a great game, but not as great as it should have been. And it definitely was not worth the 10 out of 10 scores it had gotten from many professional gaming reviewers. I'd say it deserved an 8 for IV alone and 8.5 or 9 for including the Episodes. In my view, Vice City and San Andreas even though much older, were still the better games for what they were at their respective times compared to IV.

But IV is still a must-own, classic game with very memorable moments that every GTA fan should experience playing.

EvilDog77
  • EvilDog77

Unequaled C4 Whore

• Members

Posted 14 May 2013 - 07:51 PM

I think I've spent the most money on new sh*t over the years just to play GTA games throughout their history (probably more than I've spent on cars) and I'm happy to say that GTA IV has definitely justified the money I spent on upgrading my rig.

I just hope the GTA V port doesn't require yet another half-a-grand upgrade to play it.

Kifflom112
  • Kifflom112

I like to spam

• Members

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:23 PM

Well actually I had no expectations when I first inserted IV into my PS3. My dad had bought it and I decided to play it one day while he was at work in the summer. Not knowing what to expect, I was absolutely stunned! The graphics looked epic to me and the way the cars looked, the way they drove; it was superb at the time.
Now after looking at all of the hype threads for IV in the past, I can see why it didn't live up to some expectations. Still a great game though.

From experience, I think it's better playing a game you know nothing about as opposed to following the news and getting all hyped about it. I wish I could have done that with V. Now I'm going to play V knowing so much about it. It'll still be great, I hope. Shifty41s_beerhatsmilie2.gif

albanyave
  • albanyave

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 16 May 2013 - 10:54 PM

I hadn't followed the GTA series. I saw the trailer for IV and finally bought the game 2 years later. I was amazed instantly. I expected to have fun driving around doing this and doing that. I never thought I would get hooked.

GTA IV has not been put on my games shelf since purchase date. I've been playing this game for almost 3 years.

Shenmue18
  • Shenmue18

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 May 2013 - 11:12 PM

I bought GTA IV the very day that it came out and it just blew me away, after about 3 days of playing it nonstop, my friend got it as well and we played the multiplayer for hours, I remember one of the first things we did was see what would happen if we took a boat and boated to far away from Liberty City, and of course we blew up.

GoldenBlade
  • GoldenBlade

Hustlin'

• Members

Posted 16 May 2013 - 11:34 PM

I didn't really have any expectations at the time. I was amazed the first time I played the game, though. There's not much that I don't like about the game.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users